We are going to Maui at the end of October for 9 nights and we're thinking of splitting up our time between Hana and elsewhere, and we need help deciding where to stay. Do you think with only 8 full days it's worth it to split up where we stay?
Our first trip to Maui was in Feb and we did the Hana highway in one day and loved the area... It felt so secluded and peaceful and we think we'd like to stay there for at least a few nights, or maybe longer...? We like to eat out but also don't mind cooking some meals. Our priorities on the trip are lots of R&R where we have a few days of doing nothing but reading and sunning on a beach. I am also a swimmer and like to swim laps in the ocean. However, we don't know if there are any good beaches along Hana for these activities... Where is a good place to stay along Hana that has good access to the beaches? How many nights should we stay in Hana? Will we be able to swim at the end of Oct?
We're also confused about where to base ourselves for the non-Hana segment of our trip... Last time we stayed in Hale Ono Loa in Lahaina and although we liked the condo, we often found ourselves driving to other beaches like Napili Bay since the beach in front of our condo was rocky. Staying somewhere where we could walk to the beach (a beach with shade!) is our first priority. Our other favorite activity is snorkeling. We didn't care for Kaanapali and the high-rises. The smaller the complex, the better... We are looking at the following places but are open to other suggestions:
- Napili Bay (out of our price range but considering splurging)
- Waiohuli Beach Hale in Kihei - I love the pool and the reviews seem to indicate it's adult-oriented, "quiet" is a definite plus!
- Maui Vista - close to Kamaole beaches, how are they in Oct? Safe for swimming? Which is best, I, II or III?
We prefer oceanfront i.e. nothing where there is a road between the condo and the beach. And we need a beach with trees for shade... Thanks in advance for any input! Our budget is $100-$120 per night.
2nd trip to Maui (9 nights) & thinking of staying in Hana or Hana and ?
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 TripReport--10 Utah Circle
- 2 Moving to New Jersey
- 3 Big Island Fans - will we like Maui?
- 4 Relaxing Honeymoon Week
- 5 Which Florida Key for one month stay with infant?
- 6 Dec / Jan in the USA- advice
- 7 St. Simon, Georgia
- 8 Looking for Next Destination
- 9 Planning for Fall Foliage in NE, Oct 2015
- 10 Low Country Honor Flight to Washington DC
- 11 6 Days in NYC and then to Orlando - Best way to fly?
- 12 West Coast Road Trip
- 13 Baltimore Inner Harbor to DC - without a car; with luggage - suggestions?
- 14 103rd annual northern Navajo nation fair
- 15 Need Minnesota leaf color reports
- 16 Best Sonoma wineries you've never heard of
- 17 Dressing up for theatre in new york
- 18 Travel between Maui and Big Island
- 19 Glacier NP & Yellowstone NP 8 day trip Itinerary
- 20 Trip Report - New York & Washington DC – May 30 – June 4, 2014
- 21 Petoskey Fall Break?
- 22 California
- 23 4 day trip from Denver this fall - First time in the Rockies - Where to go?
- 24 Maui itinerary
- 25 Door County with a Dog - trip in progress