A quick trip report as-we-go.
DAY 1: FROM AUCKLAND NZ to SAN FRANCISCO
Friday June 28 - we flew from Auckland to San Francisco via NZ8 on Air NZ. Great service and a smooth flight despite late off. Scored the exit row and all of its extra leg room
We arrived to sun and temperatures 4 x times warmer than back home The holiday was getting a fantastic start.
We picked up our rental car from Budget. We booked online at budget.com and pre-paid our one week rental. What we didn't realise was that by pre-paying, we were allowed into the priority queue (only 3 customers in it) instead of the normal queue (at least 20 people in it, all needing about 8 minutes each to be served). Score!
The GPS made the drive from SFO to our family's home in San Jose really easy. It was a nice drive, especially with darling Lovener2 alongside to help make sure we were getting for the cars coming from different sides of the road than we were used to. The drive took about an hour and the home in San Jose is in a lovely leafy and quiet area.
Our family was still out at work and holiday programmes so we decided to venture to the local shops and get ourselves sorted out with a simcard. By now we are starting to notice just how hot it really is. One opens the car door and it is like you have opened the door of the oven. The winter clothes from home are quickly exchanged for something with a touch more air flow
The simcard exercise was far more painful than it needed to be. I had to put on my grumpy bear voice after we had made 3 trips back to the store, spent over 3 hours trying to sort it out. it turned out they sold us a plan that actually was removed from the market a week prior. Surprise, surprise, it wouldn't work. My only advice - if you need a simcard, go directly to the telco provider. Do not bother with Radioshack (who could more appropriately name themselves radioshite).
We had a nice quiet evening at home with the family, enjoying the sun and new backyard. Glorious.
DAY 2: GILROY and THE MEGA BBQ
Saturday 29 June
The heatwave continues - hurrah!
This morning we ventured to the Gilroy Premium Outlets, about a 30 minute drive from San Jose. We didn't have that long so focused on Gap, Saks and Banana Republic. A couple of good bargains but in my opinion, Nordstrom Rack wins when it comes to 'steal of a deal bargains'. It was a great day to go with the heat temperatures. There was great aircon and everyone else had gone to the beach so lovely and quiet.
We ventured into the countryside to Gilroy's garden/farming area and then scoffed blackberries all the way home. We picked up some amazing strawberries - enormous in size and full of flavour. Looking forward to trying the peaches and nectarines today. Yummo.
The afternoon involved an end-of-soccer-season-party with 65 people descending on the backyard. It was a lovely fun afternoon with lots of kids running around and having fun with the hose.
Another great day. Am loving the heatwave. 110 degrees today (or 43 where we come from). Nothing short of glorious and 5 x hotter than the weather we came from yesterday
2013: San Jose, San Francisco, Portland, Montreal, Cook Islands
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Hotel advice needed near Palo Alto
- 2 A Week in Naples Florida--Much Ado About Food (and Wine)
- 3 4 week family trip ideas
- 4 Boston area -- nature
- 5 General Utah planning questions
- 6 Hotel - Caesars Palace OR Signature @ MGM
- 7 Boston Uber shenanigans? Fake airport fees
- 8 California & French Polynesia
- 9 Chicago- The Godfrey hotel or the Hotel Burnham????
- 10 Which hotel - Washington Hilton OR Cambria Suites
- 11 where in 'Charleston' would you winter?
- 12 Metro or cab from Delancey St to Penn Station?
- 13 SFO black friday traffic
- 14 Tennessee Alabama Louisiana
- 15 best place for New Year's in the South?
- 16 Carmel (and Monterey) weekend with a 4 year old
- 17 ideas for roadtrip through Utah, Idaho, Wyoming and Colorado
- 18 Escape cold in mid-Feb (4) nights from Michigan
- 19 Dining in Manhattan
- 20 need two stop-overs from LA to Santa Fe, NM
- 21 American Honeymoon in March
- 22 How to dress in Vegas
- 23 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 24 Arthritis and Humidity where to live?
- 25 Road trip next summes...Suggestions ?