I'm in my mid 30's and booked my trip to Alaska, from June14-June 25. I want to plan carefully and see as much as possible with a tight budget, although, I want to do few expensive things: Alaska by air, by sea and land ( flying around McKinley with glacier landing, bear viewing, a cruise to see the glaciers and wild life, and by rail to Denali).
Here is my plan, but I'm not so sure is possible, so I'm open to discussion:
June 14- arrived at 11:45pm (day is over, but I got a great deal for car renting from June 15 @ 12 AM-June 18 @ 11 PM). Pick up rental and head over to a cheap hostel (must find one. Is Alaska Backpackers Inn a good choice?)
June 15- after a early breakfast, hid the road to Homer (4 1/2 hrs), and with few stops, I should consider like 6 hrs drive. Stay overnight in Homer. (search for a hostel there)
June 16- hope to book a bear viewing trip (all day). I should be back by 8pm, and pick up the car to drive 3 hrs to Seward ( must look for a cheap hostel there as well).
June 17 -Rest well and get ready for a 10 am glaciar cruise (preferable a 6 hrs one- must search for a good one- Kenai Fjords Tours?) . Spend the night in Seward (2nd night at the same hostel).
June 18 - morning, visiting Seward Sea Life Center (optional) , drive by Wildlife Conservation Center, on my way back to Anchorage ( should be there by 11pm to drop off rental car). Book the same hostel for the next 2 night (same as from the first night).
June 19- Anchorage: visit the Native Heritage Center and Green Market. (any other ideas for what to do by foot in Anchorage? )
June 20- at 8 am go by train to Talkeetna for a flightseeing tour with K2 Aviation ( later in the afternoon ). Overnight at a cheep hostel (must find one closer to the train depot, if possible).
June 21 - 10:45 am back on the train, on my way to Denali (YEEEY). Hope for a deal with the hostel+ train (discount booking together). Wonder around park entrance until a shuttle bus is going to pick me up to take mo to hostel. Then, finally chillaxing. (I have in mind Denali Mountain Morning Hostel -10% off for train and free shuttle).
June 22- Denali -shuttle to Wonder Lake all day. Then back to the same hostel (after I'll decide which one).
June 23- Denali- go for a sled dog kneel demonstration , then back in the park to explore some more. Later at night, back to hostel.
June 24- at 12pm get the train back to Anchorage. Arrive there around 8pm. Have dinner and then catch the plain back home at 12:45am on June 25.
So, is it way too much? I have concerns for the first days, when I have the rental car (already arranged that- great deal!!). Please advise. Many thanks, Betty
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Charleston+Kiawah+Asheville+?
- 2 8 Days in Yellowstone/GTNP
- 3 Driving from NY to Boston in February
- 4 What to do in San Diego
- 5 Our Boston Getaway
- 6 http://www.getsunergetics.com/elysian-natural-daily-revitalizer/
- 7 Transport LGA to Grand Central
- 8 Help! Road Trip from Boulder to Oregon 2/2016
- 9 Las Vegas and Area - Nature and Hiking
- 10 Accomodation in NYC under USD150/
- 11 San Francisco during Super Bowl week
- 12 Whale Watching in Kauai
- 13 Another great trip to 4 Corners area
- 14 40th in Key West
- 15 What to do in New York?
- 16 When do school start again in August?
- 17 Havasu Falls/Grand Canyon Hike
- 18 Disney for Florida residents
- 19 Yosemite
- 20 DNA test re: ancestry - had it done?
- 21 8-Hour Napali Fishing Charter with Kids?
- 22 Summer Vaca Destination for families driving from Michigan and Georgia?
- 23 California + Las Vegas & Grand Canyon for 12-15 Day Trip in May
- 24 Must Sees in San Francisco
- 25 3/31-5/29 New Tracy Letts Play!