I'm in my mid 30's and booked my trip to Alaska, from June14-June 25. I want to plan carefully and see as much as possible with a tight budget, although, I want to do few expensive things: Alaska by air, by sea and land ( flying around McKinley with glacier landing, bear viewing, a cruise to see the glaciers and wild life, and by rail to Denali).
Here is my plan, but I'm not so sure is possible, so I'm open to discussion:
June 14- arrived at 11:45pm (day is over, but I got a great deal for car renting from June 15 @ 12 AM-June 18 @ 11 PM). Pick up rental and head over to a cheap hostel (must find one. Is Alaska Backpackers Inn a good choice?)
June 15- after a early breakfast, hid the road to Homer (4 1/2 hrs), and with few stops, I should consider like 6 hrs drive. Stay overnight in Homer. (search for a hostel there)
June 16- hope to book a bear viewing trip (all day). I should be back by 8pm, and pick up the car to drive 3 hrs to Seward ( must look for a cheap hostel there as well).
June 17 -Rest well and get ready for a 10 am glaciar cruise (preferable a 6 hrs one- must search for a good one- Kenai Fjords Tours?) . Spend the night in Seward (2nd night at the same hostel).
June 18 - morning, visiting Seward Sea Life Center (optional) , drive by Wildlife Conservation Center, on my way back to Anchorage ( should be there by 11pm to drop off rental car). Book the same hostel for the next 2 night (same as from the first night).
June 19- Anchorage: visit the Native Heritage Center and Green Market. (any other ideas for what to do by foot in Anchorage? )
June 20- at 8 am go by train to Talkeetna for a flightseeing tour with K2 Aviation ( later in the afternoon ). Overnight at a cheep hostel (must find one closer to the train depot, if possible).
June 21 - 10:45 am back on the train, on my way to Denali (YEEEY). Hope for a deal with the hostel+ train (discount booking together). Wonder around park entrance until a shuttle bus is going to pick me up to take mo to hostel. Then, finally chillaxing. (I have in mind Denali Mountain Morning Hostel -10% off for train and free shuttle).
June 22- Denali -shuttle to Wonder Lake all day. Then back to the same hostel (after I'll decide which one).
June 23- Denali- go for a sled dog kneel demonstration , then back in the park to explore some more. Later at night, back to hostel.
June 24- at 12pm get the train back to Anchorage. Arrive there around 8pm. Have dinner and then catch the plain back home at 12:45am on June 25.
So, is it way too much? I have concerns for the first days, when I have the rental car (already arranged that- great deal!!). Please advise. Many thanks, Betty
10 days in Alaska as a solo female traveler
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Booking Lodging at the Grand Canyon
- 2 NYC becoming a battleground for Air BnB apartment rentals
- 3 Grand Teton & Yellowstone & ???
- 4 Weather in Hawaii in January
- 5 Three or Four Nights in Moab?
- 6 Relocation: Where Do We Fit In
- 7 San Diego Girl's Trip in December
- 8 Utah mid Sept Trip Report, Zion, Bryce, Arches- beautiful!
- 9 Looking for good moonstone beach hotels in cambria
- 10 Breckenridge in October
- 11 East Coast to West Coast travel route
- 12 Family Trip to Moab - Flying into SLC
- 13 Richmond highlights?
- 14 Best City on the Gulf Coast to live?
- 15 "HUMORLESS" response to Kauai comment silliness
- 16 Central Park Fall Foliage
- 17 What do you do when your VRBO rental is a nightmare in Lake Geneva?
- 18 Pet Friendly places in Myrtle Beach
- 19 I am "The Prince of Tides"
- 20 Things to do in and around Westbrook, CT in November 2014
- 21 New York accommodation - apartment for family needed (winter)
- 22 Washington DC in Spring?
- 23 Quick advice needed for 1st visit to HNL & Kauai
- 24 montana vs ft nelson bc area
- 25 Must Eats