I'm in my mid 30's and booked my trip to Alaska, from June14-June 25. I want to plan carefully and see as much as possible with a tight budget, although, I want to do few expensive things: Alaska by air, by sea and land ( flying around McKinley with glacier landing, bear viewing, a cruise to see the glaciers and wild life, and by rail to Denali).
Here is my plan, but I'm not so sure is possible, so I'm open to discussion:
June 14- arrived at 11:45pm (day is over, but I got a great deal for car renting from June 15 @ 12 AM-June 18 @ 11 PM). Pick up rental and head over to a cheap hostel (must find one. Is Alaska Backpackers Inn a good choice?)
June 15- after a early breakfast, hid the road to Homer (4 1/2 hrs), and with few stops, I should consider like 6 hrs drive. Stay overnight in Homer. (search for a hostel there)
June 16- hope to book a bear viewing trip (all day). I should be back by 8pm, and pick up the car to drive 3 hrs to Seward ( must look for a cheap hostel there as well).
June 17 -Rest well and get ready for a 10 am glaciar cruise (preferable a 6 hrs one- must search for a good one- Kenai Fjords Tours?) . Spend the night in Seward (2nd night at the same hostel).
June 18 - morning, visiting Seward Sea Life Center (optional) , drive by Wildlife Conservation Center, on my way back to Anchorage ( should be there by 11pm to drop off rental car). Book the same hostel for the next 2 night (same as from the first night).
June 19- Anchorage: visit the Native Heritage Center and Green Market. (any other ideas for what to do by foot in Anchorage? )
June 20- at 8 am go by train to Talkeetna for a flightseeing tour with K2 Aviation ( later in the afternoon ). Overnight at a cheep hostel (must find one closer to the train depot, if possible).
June 21 - 10:45 am back on the train, on my way to Denali (YEEEY). Hope for a deal with the hostel+ train (discount booking together). Wonder around park entrance until a shuttle bus is going to pick me up to take mo to hostel. Then, finally chillaxing. (I have in mind Denali Mountain Morning Hostel -10% off for train and free shuttle).
June 22- Denali -shuttle to Wonder Lake all day. Then back to the same hostel (after I'll decide which one).
June 23- Denali- go for a sled dog kneel demonstration , then back in the park to explore some more. Later at night, back to hostel.
June 24- at 12pm get the train back to Anchorage. Arrive there around 8pm. Have dinner and then catch the plain back home at 12:45am on June 25.
So, is it way too much? I have concerns for the first days, when I have the rental car (already arranged that- great deal!!). Please advise. Many thanks, Betty
10 days in Alaska as a solo female traveler
Recent ActivityView all United States activity »
- 1 Roadtrip Across the Country
- 2 Best places to move to Florida?
- 3 Need an interesting place for one night near Memphis
- 4 Juneau May 8th
- 5 Memphis or Chattanooga for family
- 6 Big Island Trip Report: Hooked on Hilo; Kohala Coast is Costly!
- 7 Southern California Dining Guide - 2014/2015
- 8 Help for an upcoming NYC trip.
- 9 Places to eat like a local in Los Angeles
- 10 Honeymoon - Maui and Oahu for first timers Oct 2014
- 11 driver for airport pick up in NY
- 12 Down to three New York City hotels for December visit
- 13 Rental car drop before entering NYC
- 14 West Coast Bound End of March
- 15 Help with Northeast vacation strategy
- 16 Rodeo Near Tulsa or Woodward?
- 17 Your Help with Must Sees in Southern Arizona
- 18 Gatlinburg Tennessee Itinerary suggestions
- 19 Salt Lake City, Utah
- 20 Question about Miami travel
- 21 Salt Lake City
- 22 Kinky Boots and Pippin. Fodor reviews
- 23 First family ski trip
- 24 Yes it's March, but let's talk Christmas destinations!
- 25 Grand Circle & Wyoming