I am back on the forum. I know now that my fiance is the one because the man has the patience of a saint. I've been "all around the world" on the net looking for destination wedding hotspots - FIji, Italy, Caribbean, Mexico, you name it, I've researched it. I have always had travel fever, so knowing that we have 15k to have small wedding/travel budget has made it that much harder for me
We have decided on Hawaii. For one, we won't have the blood work/translations/legal jargon we would go through marrying in a foreign country. Also, my fiance has step-sibilings who reside there, so his family who lives near us in Florida has a place to stay (his parents are on a tight budget, so anywhere else makes it very hard for them to attend). My brother also informed me that his girlfriend has an aunt on the Big Island, so they have a place to stay too. I guess I won't feel as guilty asking people to attend, in a nutshell.
The big question is - which island? I am torn between Big Island and Maui. Maui seems to be THE wedding hotspot and we found a coordinator/minister/photographer whom we really like. However, it seems like Big Island has so much adventure, esp. with the volcanoes and my fiance and I are big on exploring and adventure. We are hoping to snorkel, zipline, hike, kayak, fish and take some incredible photos. Any advice?
Or - perhaps we can do both? I understand that we would actually have to fly from Maui to Big Island. Not the most pleasant scenario, but worth seeing a volcano, I hope? Has anyone island hopped? WHat is your experience?
Also, hotel advice? We have looked at the Kona Resort and some bed/breakfasts. My big wish is more eco-style accomodations and possibly a place that offers gluten-free breads/dairy free. But this is not absolutely necessary - I just avoid breads and dairy and eat fruit/meat/veggies when on vacay.
~We are in our early to mid thirties
~We are wanting to do this in June (I'm a teacher, so I have to go when I have vacation and the only other time when I have two weeks off is Christmas - doesn't seem like an ideal time to marry)
~We would go for 10-14 days.
~Wedding wish - beach wedding, Hawaiian ceremony, immediate family, plus two friends only, hoping to do a luau type reception or go to a restaurant that is luau style.
Thanks for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Everest Base Camp Trekking - Nepal
- 2 Too old maybe?
- 3 Visit to Northern California
- 4 Footing the bill for a family trip
- 5 Does anyone else travel with bed sheets
- 6 Looking for suggestions for taking photos.
- 7 Anybody tells me about best destination in the Hawai?
- 8 Packing List for School Trip to Italy (Feedback please?)
- 9 Traveling to Niagara Falls-HELP ME!
- 10 What is the best time travel during your life?
- 11 Autism/Disability Travel
- 12 Travel idea for a 1 year old
- 13 Carryon travel to Rome- One gal's packing list in the Spring
- 14 When do you start packing your suitcase(s)?
- 15 Traveling with Kids - Suggestions for Planner/Scrapbook to BRING on Trip
- 16 3-4 day weekend getaway for group
- 17 Looking for suggestions for summer vacay
- 18 Pedometer for Kids
- 19 Road trip from San Diego to Atlanta
- 20 Your Top 5 travel iPad Apps
- 21 Won a trip to anywhere in the world + hotel... where should I go!?
- 22 Honeymoon help Seattle to San Diago
- 23 1 week mother-son trip in August. Where?
- 24 Nova Scotia and PEI
- 25 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?