I am back on the forum. I know now that my fiance is the one because the man has the patience of a saint. I've been "all around the world" on the net looking for destination wedding hotspots - FIji, Italy, Caribbean, Mexico, you name it, I've researched it. I have always had travel fever, so knowing that we have 15k to have small wedding/travel budget has made it that much harder for me
We have decided on Hawaii. For one, we won't have the blood work/translations/legal jargon we would go through marrying in a foreign country. Also, my fiance has step-sibilings who reside there, so his family who lives near us in Florida has a place to stay (his parents are on a tight budget, so anywhere else makes it very hard for them to attend). My brother also informed me that his girlfriend has an aunt on the Big Island, so they have a place to stay too. I guess I won't feel as guilty asking people to attend, in a nutshell.
The big question is - which island? I am torn between Big Island and Maui. Maui seems to be THE wedding hotspot and we found a coordinator/minister/photographer whom we really like. However, it seems like Big Island has so much adventure, esp. with the volcanoes and my fiance and I are big on exploring and adventure. We are hoping to snorkel, zipline, hike, kayak, fish and take some incredible photos. Any advice?
Or - perhaps we can do both? I understand that we would actually have to fly from Maui to Big Island. Not the most pleasant scenario, but worth seeing a volcano, I hope? Has anyone island hopped? WHat is your experience?
Also, hotel advice? We have looked at the Kona Resort and some bed/breakfasts. My big wish is more eco-style accomodations and possibly a place that offers gluten-free breads/dairy free. But this is not absolutely necessary - I just avoid breads and dairy and eat fruit/meat/veggies when on vacay.
~We are in our early to mid thirties
~We are wanting to do this in June (I'm a teacher, so I have to go when I have vacation and the only other time when I have two weeks off is Christmas - doesn't seem like an ideal time to marry)
~We would go for 10-14 days.
~Wedding wish - beach wedding, Hawaiian ceremony, immediate family, plus two friends only, hoping to do a luau type reception or go to a restaurant that is luau style.
Thanks for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 best travel
- 2 Late October European Trek Adventure suggestions
- 3 7 Day in Tuscany Villa in Italy?
- 4 Travel Escort idea
- 5 7 days from Madrid to Barcelona
- 6 Sailboat charter through the British Virgin Islands
- 7 New England Fall Foliage
- 8 Driving up the coast from L to San Fran
- 9 Travel on a $2000 Budget
- 10 House/Pet Sitting travel
- 11 regain air ticket cost from travel insurance company
- 12 A week to go somewhere
- 13 What is the most important stuff when you are travelling?
- 14 Driving in Ireland
- 15 Nikon Coolpix L830angle camera - alternatives?
- 16 LAX to Dodger Stadium
- 17 Carrying your passport
- 18 Road trip or Train
- 19 Singapore or Disneyland Paris
- 20 Ideal Trip!
- 21 Daughter's Tour to korea
- 22 Inexpensive travel from Gothenburg or Copenhagen
- 23 Does anyone else travel with bed sheets
- 24 Packing advice for fall trip to Europe
- 25 Where to go for short visit?