I am back on the forum. I know now that my fiance is the one because the man has the patience of a saint. I've been "all around the world" on the net looking for destination wedding hotspots - FIji, Italy, Caribbean, Mexico, you name it, I've researched it. I have always had travel fever, so knowing that we have 15k to have small wedding/travel budget has made it that much harder for me
We have decided on Hawaii. For one, we won't have the blood work/translations/legal jargon we would go through marrying in a foreign country. Also, my fiance has step-sibilings who reside there, so his family who lives near us in Florida has a place to stay (his parents are on a tight budget, so anywhere else makes it very hard for them to attend). My brother also informed me that his girlfriend has an aunt on the Big Island, so they have a place to stay too. I guess I won't feel as guilty asking people to attend, in a nutshell.
The big question is - which island? I am torn between Big Island and Maui. Maui seems to be THE wedding hotspot and we found a coordinator/minister/photographer whom we really like. However, it seems like Big Island has so much adventure, esp. with the volcanoes and my fiance and I are big on exploring and adventure. We are hoping to snorkel, zipline, hike, kayak, fish and take some incredible photos. Any advice?
Or - perhaps we can do both? I understand that we would actually have to fly from Maui to Big Island. Not the most pleasant scenario, but worth seeing a volcano, I hope? Has anyone island hopped? WHat is your experience?
Also, hotel advice? We have looked at the Kona Resort and some bed/breakfasts. My big wish is more eco-style accomodations and possibly a place that offers gluten-free breads/dairy free. But this is not absolutely necessary - I just avoid breads and dairy and eat fruit/meat/veggies when on vacay.
~We are in our early to mid thirties
~We are wanting to do this in June (I'm a teacher, so I have to go when I have vacation and the only other time when I have two weeks off is Christmas - doesn't seem like an ideal time to marry)
~We would go for 10-14 days.
~Wedding wish - beach wedding, Hawaiian ceremony, immediate family, plus two friends only, hoping to do a luau type reception or go to a restaurant that is luau style.
Thanks for any advice!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Packing for Safari in Kenya
- 2 Honeymoon Destination
- 3 How to find the best adventure tour
- 4 One month free to travel in February
- 5 If UK visit visa works for Europe too!
- 6 What's the most expensive country you have been to?
- 7 What to do on long flights?
- 8 How do you like my plan for a gap year?
- 9 Destination suggestion, departing from Vegas and returning to Detroit
- 10 How to travel with only carry on...with a baby
- 11 Feb - a week get away for 2 couples
- 12 Goin' solo...nothing like it! (A trip report collection)
- 13 Need Amalfi planning help
- 14 Where to go...April of 2018
- 15 Cautionary tale about ATM use
- 16 Why Access to Services at Home should not affect your next trip
- 17 California Zepher
- 18 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 19 Babymoon w/ toddler Fall Ideas (Zika)
- 20 6 day 5 night Honeymoon from US
- 21 Honeymoon ideas STAT
- 22 Looking for travel filmmakers to collaborate and travel together!
- 23 Airport robbery
- 24 Usefulness of a travel agent ?
- 25 New York City - Suite/Hotel