A friend and I are hoping to go to South Africa next year during the World Cup Championships (June 11-July 11, 2010). Our plan would be to attend a match and spend the rest of our time sight seeing.
We definitely want to explore around Cape Town and the Western Cape, and possibly visit Kruger Nat'l Park as well.
My question is regarding how to time our trip in conjunction with the World Cup. We know prices will be higher, and certain locations and activities will be more crowded during this time. We'd like to save money where we can and avoid the worst of the crowds if possible.
Has anyone in Fodor's land attended the World Cup or another similar high profile event and have suggestions about how to time our trip optimally? Does it make more sense to go a week or so before the event begins and have the soccer match be one of the final things we do in South Africa before heading back to the States, or will zillions of other World Cup fans have the same idea, thus driving up all the prices and making all of the popular sites massively crowded?
The second round of ticket sales just began and we're currently trying to pick which match to buy tickets for (we'd probably aim for tickets in either Cape Town or Johannesburg).
The World Cup is sort of the catalyst for the trip, but equally important is being able to get a taste of South Africa. We're flexible regarding which match we attend, and would like to avoid a little of the chaos that can ensue during an event of this magnitude.
Thanks for any insight or suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Too old maybe?
- 2 Visit to Northern California
- 3 Footing the bill for a family trip
- 4 Does anyone else travel with bed sheets
- 5 Looking for suggestions for taking photos.
- 6 Anybody tells me about best destination in the Hawai?
- 7 Packing List for School Trip to Italy (Feedback please?)
- 8 Traveling to Niagara Falls-HELP ME!
- 9 What is the best time travel during your life?
- 10 Autism/Disability Travel
- 11 Travel idea for a 1 year old
- 12 Carryon travel to Rome- One gal's packing list in the Spring
- 13 When do you start packing your suitcase(s)?
- 14 Traveling with Kids - Suggestions for Planner/Scrapbook to BRING on Trip
- 15 3-4 day weekend getaway for group
- 16 Looking for suggestions for summer vacay
- 17 Pedometer for Kids
- 18 Road trip from San Diego to Atlanta
- 19 Your Top 5 travel iPad Apps
- 20 Won a trip to anywhere in the world + hotel... where should I go!?
- 21 Honeymoon help Seattle to San Diago
- 22 1 week mother-son trip in August. Where?
- 23 Nova Scotia and PEI
- 24 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 25 Need Advice about Ticket Price Drop
Tips for trip centered around World Cup FIFA (Soccer) Championships