A friend and I are hoping to go to South Africa next year during the World Cup Championships (June 11-July 11, 2010). Our plan would be to attend a match and spend the rest of our time sight seeing.
We definitely want to explore around Cape Town and the Western Cape, and possibly visit Kruger Nat'l Park as well.
My question is regarding how to time our trip in conjunction with the World Cup. We know prices will be higher, and certain locations and activities will be more crowded during this time. We'd like to save money where we can and avoid the worst of the crowds if possible.
Has anyone in Fodor's land attended the World Cup or another similar high profile event and have suggestions about how to time our trip optimally? Does it make more sense to go a week or so before the event begins and have the soccer match be one of the final things we do in South Africa before heading back to the States, or will zillions of other World Cup fans have the same idea, thus driving up all the prices and making all of the popular sites massively crowded?
The second round of ticket sales just began and we're currently trying to pick which match to buy tickets for (we'd probably aim for tickets in either Cape Town or Johannesburg).
The World Cup is sort of the catalyst for the trip, but equally important is being able to get a taste of South Africa. We're flexible regarding which match we attend, and would like to avoid a little of the chaos that can ensue during an event of this magnitude.
Thanks for any insight or suggestions!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 http://maleenhancement24.com/derma-vibrance/
- 2 Sailboat charter through the British Virgin Islands
- 3 7 days from Madrid to Barcelona
- 4 New England Fall Foliage
- 5 Driving up the coast from L to San Fran
- 6 Want to Travel in India
- 7 Travel on a $2000 Budget
- 8 House/Pet Sitting travel
- 9 regain air ticket cost from travel insurance company
- 10 A week to go somewhere
- 11 What is the most important stuff when you are travelling?
- 12 Driving in Ireland
- 13 Nikon Coolpix L830angle camera - alternatives?
- 14 LAX to Dodger Stadium
- 15 Carrying your passport
- 16 Travel Escort idea
- 17 Road trip or Train
- 18 Singapore or Disneyland Paris
- 19 Ideal Trip!
- 20 Daughter's Tour to korea
- 21 Inexpensive travel from Gothenburg or Copenhagen
- 22 Does anyone else travel with bed sheets
- 23 Packing advice for fall trip to Europe
- 24 Where to go for short visit?
- 25 Help for my wife's 40th with her best friends
Tips for trip centered around World Cup FIFA (Soccer) Championships