I am a mature, independent, go-with-the-flow 18 year-old girl from Chicago and I will be taking a gap year before college next year. I plan on staying abroad for about 10 months and I would like to go to the UK, Germany, Spain, India, Nepal, and Thailand for starters. After deducting airfare and insurance, I have budgeted myself for about $3500. I will be doing a archaeological program in Spain for 20 days, and I have family and friends in Germany, London, Spain, India, and Nepal that I can stay with for at least a couple of days. Staying in hostels and any other cheap accommodation is also completely okay with me. I also plan on volunteering through HelpX and wwoof as much as I can to help keep costs down (and I would really like to see the country from a different side). I have travelled before to Guatemala, Mexico, Italy, England, and Greece, but never by myself.
I have a few general questions and any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated!
1. I want to keep the trip as spontaneous as possible (while having a general itinerary), but everything is cheaper if it’s booked way in advance. Does anyone have any tips as to how to stay flexible on a budget?
2. Travel: Rtw ticket or major flights (Chicago to Europe, Europe to Asia, Asia to Chicago) and rails/buses?
3. Is it better to connect with people on HelpX/wwoof while abroad and as I go (keeping spontaneity in mind)?
4. Any places I should detract or add to my list? Safety is definitely a priority (for my parents and I). I love history, going off the beaten track, experiencing new cultures, so I am open to any place suggested!
I appreciate answers to one or all questions. Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Anybody tells me about best destination in the Hawai?
- 2 Travel idea for a 1 year old
- 3 Traveling with Kids - Suggestions for Planner/Scrapbook to BRING on Trip
- 4 Autism/Disability Travel
- 5 3-4 day weekend getaway for group
- 6 Looking for suggestions for summer vacay
- 7 Pedometer for Kids
- 8 Road trip from San Diego to Atlanta
- 9 Your Top 5 travel iPad Apps
- 10 Won a trip to anywhere in the world + hotel... where should I go!?
- 11 Honeymoon help Seattle to San Diago
- 12 1 week mother-son trip in August. Where?
- 13 Nova Scotia and PEI
- 14 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 15 Need Advice about Ticket Price Drop
- 16 Group Tours for 30 somethings
- 17 Looking for suggestions for taking photos.
- 18 Carryon travel to Rome- One gal's packing list in the Spring
- 19 Traveling to Niagara Falls-HELP ME!
- 20 Food in carry on
- 21 Traveling from 14th June to 12th Aug
- 22 Family Vacation for Mom's 80th Birthday
- 23 Spring Break in Florida?
- 24 Looking for destination suggestions
- 25 2 weeks in Africa- April