I am a mature, independent, go-with-the-flow 18 year-old girl from Chicago and I will be taking a gap year before college next year. I plan on staying abroad for about 10 months and I would like to go to the UK, Germany, Spain, India, Nepal, and Thailand for starters. After deducting airfare and insurance, I have budgeted myself for about $3500. I will be doing a archaeological program in Spain for 20 days, and I have family and friends in Germany, London, Spain, India, and Nepal that I can stay with for at least a couple of days. Staying in hostels and any other cheap accommodation is also completely okay with me. I also plan on volunteering through HelpX and wwoof as much as I can to help keep costs down (and I would really like to see the country from a different side). I have travelled before to Guatemala, Mexico, Italy, England, and Greece, but never by myself.
I have a few general questions and any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated!
1. I want to keep the trip as spontaneous as possible (while having a general itinerary), but everything is cheaper if it’s booked way in advance. Does anyone have any tips as to how to stay flexible on a budget?
2. Travel: Rtw ticket or major flights (Chicago to Europe, Europe to Asia, Asia to Chicago) and rails/buses?
3. Is it better to connect with people on HelpX/wwoof while abroad and as I go (keeping spontaneity in mind)?
4. Any places I should detract or add to my list? Safety is definitely a priority (for my parents and I). I love history, going off the beaten track, experiencing new cultures, so I am open to any place suggested!
I appreciate answers to one or all questions. Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Taxi Paris Orly
- 2 Daughter's Tour to korea
- 3 Advice for traveling with leg/hip pain
- 4 Help planning long road trip.
- 5 European Travel in March
- 6 Checked through luggage - 2 separate bookings?
- 7 Renting International Cars from USA
- 8 Packing advice for fall trip to Europe
- 9 Trip Ideas for Adventure / Tropical Thanksgiving Holiday
- 10 What is the most important stuff when you are travelling?
- 11 Getting my child from Stanford
- 12 Ideal Trip!
- 13 [ENGLAND] Which places to visit (london districts + city nearby)
- 14 Pa to New England States
- 15 suggestions about noise cancelling earphone
- 16 Do you get your expired passport back?
- 17 Is there a trick to booking a "comfort" seat?
- 18 cape cod
- 19 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 20 Is there a way get a specific model of car to rent?
- 21 Lipault luggage durability
- 22 Credit card protection
- 23 Retrieving Voice Mail abroad - Help me
- 24 Husband's 40th Birthday
- 25 Honeymoon in Bali