I am a mature, independent, go-with-the-flow 18 year-old girl from Chicago and I will be taking a gap year before college next year. I plan on staying abroad for about 10 months and I would like to go to the UK, Germany, Spain, India, Nepal, and Thailand for starters. After deducting airfare and insurance, I have budgeted myself for about $3500. I will be doing a archaeological program in Spain for 20 days, and I have family and friends in Germany, London, Spain, India, and Nepal that I can stay with for at least a couple of days. Staying in hostels and any other cheap accommodation is also completely okay with me. I also plan on volunteering through HelpX and wwoof as much as I can to help keep costs down (and I would really like to see the country from a different side). I have travelled before to Guatemala, Mexico, Italy, England, and Greece, but never by myself.
I have a few general questions and any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated!
1. I want to keep the trip as spontaneous as possible (while having a general itinerary), but everything is cheaper if it’s booked way in advance. Does anyone have any tips as to how to stay flexible on a budget?
2. Travel: Rtw ticket or major flights (Chicago to Europe, Europe to Asia, Asia to Chicago) and rails/buses?
3. Is it better to connect with people on HelpX/wwoof while abroad and as I go (keeping spontaneity in mind)?
4. Any places I should detract or add to my list? Safety is definitely a priority (for my parents and I). I love history, going off the beaten track, experiencing new cultures, so I am open to any place suggested!
I appreciate answers to one or all questions. Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Ask for advices for 10 days trip in Southeast Asia
- 2 Credit Card Travel Protection insurance - did anyone used it?
- 3 Ideas for a Christmas Trip
- 4 Mishap and Adventure studying English in Malta
- 5 7-10 day trip ideas with kid/teen
- 6 suggestions about noise cancelling earphone
- 7 Carryon travel to Rome- One gal's packing list in the Spring
- 8 Early trip planning
- 9 Something different for family of 6
- 10 10 Days in Greece @ End of June
- 11 Amtrak's AutoTrain - yes or no?
- 12 Best site for last minute travel packages?
- 13 What is the most important stuff when you are travelling?
- 14 Europe or Asia??? Best Honeymoon destination in February
- 15 Help for my wife's 40th with her best friends
- 16 Where oh where are we going to go?
- 17 Late December, early January travel
- 18 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 19 Is it necessary to learn native language of the country, where travelling?
- 20 Nice, France
- 21 Finding deals based on departure location
- 22 Travel Tips in the Philippines
- 23 St croix or Cancun HELP!
- 24 Turkey - Best Route and Mode of Travel
- 25 First time travel to Italy