I am a mature, independent, go-with-the-flow 18 year-old girl from Chicago and I will be taking a gap year before college next year. I plan on staying abroad for about 10 months and I would like to go to the UK, Germany, Spain, India, Nepal, and Thailand for starters. After deducting airfare and insurance, I have budgeted myself for about $3500. I will be doing a archaeological program in Spain for 20 days, and I have family and friends in Germany, London, Spain, India, and Nepal that I can stay with for at least a couple of days. Staying in hostels and any other cheap accommodation is also completely okay with me. I also plan on volunteering through HelpX and wwoof as much as I can to help keep costs down (and I would really like to see the country from a different side). I have travelled before to Guatemala, Mexico, Italy, England, and Greece, but never by myself.
I have a few general questions and any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated!
1. I want to keep the trip as spontaneous as possible (while having a general itinerary), but everything is cheaper if it’s booked way in advance. Does anyone have any tips as to how to stay flexible on a budget?
2. Travel: Rtw ticket or major flights (Chicago to Europe, Europe to Asia, Asia to Chicago) and rails/buses?
3. Is it better to connect with people on HelpX/wwoof while abroad and as I go (keeping spontaneity in mind)?
4. Any places I should detract or add to my list? Safety is definitely a priority (for my parents and I). I love history, going off the beaten track, experiencing new cultures, so I am open to any place suggested!
I appreciate answers to one or all questions. Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Planning your next vacation
- 2 Nepal Trekking Trails
- 3 What's the most expensive country you have been to?
- 4 What's your favourite beauty/grooming tip when travelling?
- 5 Travel towel?
- 6 Goin' solo...nothing like it! (A trip report collection)
- 7 New York City - Suite/Hotel
- 8 Trip from Lecce, Italy to Pescara, Abruzzo.
- 9 suggestions to travel the world for 450 Days
- 10 Why Access to Services at Home should not affect your next trip
- 11 Need Suggestions!!!!!
- 12 Early November Vacation Thoughts?
- 13 Nova Scotia & Cabot Trail
- 14 Anti-pickpocket Tip
- 15 Road trip stops
- 16 Cautionary tale about ATM use
- 17 Tips for tour guides on a week or longer trip
- 18 Favorite budget travel items?
- 19 Traveling with refrigerated medications
- 20 Basel - bern - niederwangen
- 21 Buying Russia train tickets
- 22 Exotic Travel Suggestions - May/June 2018
- 23 Travel Around Belgium with Side Trip to Amsterdam
- 24 Ecuador, Panama, or Costa Rica
- 25 Best Way 3 days Quebec City to Newark Airport