I am a mature, independent, go-with-the-flow 18 year-old girl from Chicago and I will be taking a gap year before college next year. I plan on staying abroad for about 10 months and I would like to go to the UK, Germany, Spain, India, Nepal, and Thailand for starters. After deducting airfare and insurance, I have budgeted myself for about $3500. I will be doing a archaeological program in Spain for 20 days, and I have family and friends in Germany, London, Spain, India, and Nepal that I can stay with for at least a couple of days. Staying in hostels and any other cheap accommodation is also completely okay with me. I also plan on volunteering through HelpX and wwoof as much as I can to help keep costs down (and I would really like to see the country from a different side). I have travelled before to Guatemala, Mexico, Italy, England, and Greece, but never by myself.
I have a few general questions and any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated!
1. I want to keep the trip as spontaneous as possible (while having a general itinerary), but everything is cheaper if it’s booked way in advance. Does anyone have any tips as to how to stay flexible on a budget?
2. Travel: Rtw ticket or major flights (Chicago to Europe, Europe to Asia, Asia to Chicago) and rails/buses?
3. Is it better to connect with people on HelpX/wwoof while abroad and as I go (keeping spontaneity in mind)?
4. Any places I should detract or add to my list? Safety is definitely a priority (for my parents and I). I love history, going off the beaten track, experiencing new cultures, so I am open to any place suggested!
I appreciate answers to one or all questions. Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Travelers Information Nepal
- 2 travel mate wanted
- 3 Italy and Santorini Greece
- 4 Srilanka
- 5 Overall cost for three weeks in Scotland?
- 6 What to do on long flights?
- 7 Question about USD Value in Other Countrues
- 8 What's the most expensive country you have been to?
- 9 Packing Cubes
- 10 Roadtrip/Vacation Advice Needed
- 11 Vacation for two
- 12 What itinerary should I pick for Europe ?
- 13 What's your favourite beauty/grooming tip when travelling?
- 14 Luggage Set - hardshell or softshell?
- 15 Eastern Europe ~ Help Please!
- 16 Some tips when using Air BnB
- 17 Packing must haves for the summer?
- 18 [ GEAR HELP ] -- what is the most effective WHITE sun hat
- 19 Female Traveling Solo to Moscow and St.petersburg
- 20 Mobile Apps for Travel
- 21 Motorcycle trip
- 22 Suggestions for family w/teenagers trip out West - never been there!
- 23 Travel to North carolina from NJ
- 24 Transportation between Granada, Nicaragua and Ometepe, Nicaragua
- 25 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips