I am a mature, independent, go-with-the-flow 18 year-old girl from Chicago and I will be taking a gap year before college next year. I plan on staying abroad for about 10 months and I would like to go to the UK, Germany, Spain, India, Nepal, and Thailand for starters. After deducting airfare and insurance, I have budgeted myself for about $3500. I will be doing a archaeological program in Spain for 20 days, and I have family and friends in Germany, London, Spain, India, and Nepal that I can stay with for at least a couple of days. Staying in hostels and any other cheap accommodation is also completely okay with me. I also plan on volunteering through HelpX and wwoof as much as I can to help keep costs down (and I would really like to see the country from a different side). I have travelled before to Guatemala, Mexico, Italy, England, and Greece, but never by myself.
I have a few general questions and any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated!
1. I want to keep the trip as spontaneous as possible (while having a general itinerary), but everything is cheaper if it’s booked way in advance. Does anyone have any tips as to how to stay flexible on a budget?
2. Travel: Rtw ticket or major flights (Chicago to Europe, Europe to Asia, Asia to Chicago) and rails/buses?
3. Is it better to connect with people on HelpX/wwoof while abroad and as I go (keeping spontaneity in mind)?
4. Any places I should detract or add to my list? Safety is definitely a priority (for my parents and I). I love history, going off the beaten track, experiencing new cultures, so I am open to any place suggested!
I appreciate answers to one or all questions. Thanks in advance!
Solo 18 year old girl - gap year
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Visa expiration and re entry
- 2 Places to travel in June or July
- 3 Packing Help - What to take
- 4 Jacket with pockets
- 5 Traveling to Eastern Europe
- 6 Travel pants for women - advice needed for Europe trip (soon!)
- 7 2 Week Trip for Newleywed's - Adventure and Beach
- 8 Your Top 5 travel iPad Apps
- 9 What are the best wlking shoes for in city travel?
- 10 Trip suggestions for 3-5 day vacation from New Orleans?
- 11 Dual time zone watches
- 12 Rovia booking engine
- 13 Escorted Travel Agency?
- 14 30th Birthday Girls Trip
- 15 Website for good hotel rates?
- 16 Famous Places to Visit in Paris?
- 17 What color nail polish in France
- 18 Travel Clothing
- 19 advance single 1st class rail travel with virgin trains
- 20 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 21 Where to go - Mexico, Dominican Republic, Cuba or Cape Verde???
- 22 Looking for travel app (iOS) to map my custom walking tour...
- 23 AVIS' car rental Dirty Tricks
- 24 Getting a Second Passport
- 25 Priceline.com "Best Price guaranteed"scam