I am a mature, independent, go-with-the-flow 18 year-old girl from Chicago and I will be taking a gap year before college next year. I plan on staying abroad for about 10 months and I would like to go to the UK, Germany, Spain, India, Nepal, and Thailand for starters. After deducting airfare and insurance, I have budgeted myself for about $3500. I will be doing a archaeological program in Spain for 20 days, and I have family and friends in Germany, London, Spain, India, and Nepal that I can stay with for at least a couple of days. Staying in hostels and any other cheap accommodation is also completely okay with me. I also plan on volunteering through HelpX and wwoof as much as I can to help keep costs down (and I would really like to see the country from a different side). I have travelled before to Guatemala, Mexico, Italy, England, and Greece, but never by myself.
I have a few general questions and any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated!
1. I want to keep the trip as spontaneous as possible (while having a general itinerary), but everything is cheaper if it’s booked way in advance. Does anyone have any tips as to how to stay flexible on a budget?
2. Travel: Rtw ticket or major flights (Chicago to Europe, Europe to Asia, Asia to Chicago) and rails/buses?
3. Is it better to connect with people on HelpX/wwoof while abroad and as I go (keeping spontaneity in mind)?
4. Any places I should detract or add to my list? Safety is definitely a priority (for my parents and I). I love history, going off the beaten track, experiencing new cultures, so I am open to any place suggested!
I appreciate answers to one or all questions. Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Money belt/hidden pocket
- 2 1 year around the world trip! advice wanted
- 3 I really want to experience the northern lights
- 4 Wannabe female solo traveler seeking reassurance
- 5 Airbnb / Horrible Experience!
- 6 Barclaycard Arrival MC chip & pin useless in Italy
- 7 Group Tours for 30 somethings
- 8 Where to find volunteer work or hosteltrave job in the world
- 9 What do you pack in your toiletries bag?
- 10 40th Birthday Celebration
- 11 Should I use a travel agent?
- 12 Where in the world can I make my dream, reality?
- 13 What Resources Do You Use to Book Complicated Trips?
- 14 Road trip from Denver or Salt Lake City?
- 15 Difficult Decisions!!
- 16 Oceanfront Location - where in the world?
- 17 HoneyMoon - january
- 18 Glacier National Park Trip
- 19 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 20 Road map- European
- 21 Travel idea for a 1 year old
- 22 Malaga Ave fast train- M Zambrano Train Station car return
- 23 xmas anywhere in europe
- 24 Need advice for Asia trip
- 25 Family Italy