I am a mature, independent, go-with-the-flow 18 year-old girl from Chicago and I will be taking a gap year before college next year. I plan on staying abroad for about 10 months and I would like to go to the UK, Germany, Spain, India, Nepal, and Thailand for starters. After deducting airfare and insurance, I have budgeted myself for about $3500. I will be doing a archaeological program in Spain for 20 days, and I have family and friends in Germany, London, Spain, India, and Nepal that I can stay with for at least a couple of days. Staying in hostels and any other cheap accommodation is also completely okay with me. I also plan on volunteering through HelpX and wwoof as much as I can to help keep costs down (and I would really like to see the country from a different side). I have travelled before to Guatemala, Mexico, Italy, England, and Greece, but never by myself.
I have a few general questions and any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated!
1. I want to keep the trip as spontaneous as possible (while having a general itinerary), but everything is cheaper if it’s booked way in advance. Does anyone have any tips as to how to stay flexible on a budget?
2. Travel: Rtw ticket or major flights (Chicago to Europe, Europe to Asia, Asia to Chicago) and rails/buses?
3. Is it better to connect with people on HelpX/wwoof while abroad and as I go (keeping spontaneity in mind)?
4. Any places I should detract or add to my list? Safety is definitely a priority (for my parents and I). I love history, going off the beaten track, experiencing new cultures, so I am open to any place suggested!
I appreciate answers to one or all questions. Thanks in advance!
Solo 18 year old girl - gap year
- 1 Ideas for 3-generation family vacation
- 2 europe In January
- 3 First Time Solo from Singapore
- 4 Driving from Geneva to Milan in February
- 5 Where to go on Christmas?
- 6 Is going to Cape Town for holiday really worth it?
- 7 Does anyone else travel with bed sheets
- 8 Aruba vs. Turks & Caicos - Honeymoon
- 9 French Visa Appointment at NYC Consulate
- 10 Honeymoon: fiancee not as adventurous. Need ideas. HELP!
- 11 9-10 day trip to Southern Spain in February
- 12 Holiday Travel Plans
- 13 Looking for reviews of Great Value Vacations
- 14 Purchasing a flight with someone else's frequent flyer points
- 15 Which Hotel is near to Northern arizona university, Flagstaff
- 16 Help with honeymoon destination
- 17 places to stop and stretch.
- 18 Tell Us Your Favorite Travel Experiences
- 19 Travel with or without kids ?
- 20 7 days European trip with kids- suggestions needed
- 21 2016 honeymoon! Need advice!
- 22 I TRAVEL THE WORLD ALONE
- 23 Where to Stay in solomon island ?
- 24 Your Best Travel Tips
- 25 Single Senior Citizen travel