I am a mature, independent, go-with-the-flow 18 year-old girl from Chicago and I will be taking a gap year before college next year. I plan on staying abroad for about 10 months and I would like to go to the UK, Germany, Spain, India, Nepal, and Thailand for starters. After deducting airfare and insurance, I have budgeted myself for about $3500. I will be doing a archaeological program in Spain for 20 days, and I have family and friends in Germany, London, Spain, India, and Nepal that I can stay with for at least a couple of days. Staying in hostels and any other cheap accommodation is also completely okay with me. I also plan on volunteering through HelpX and wwoof as much as I can to help keep costs down (and I would really like to see the country from a different side). I have travelled before to Guatemala, Mexico, Italy, England, and Greece, but never by myself.
I have a few general questions and any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated!
1. I want to keep the trip as spontaneous as possible (while having a general itinerary), but everything is cheaper if it’s booked way in advance. Does anyone have any tips as to how to stay flexible on a budget?
2. Travel: Rtw ticket or major flights (Chicago to Europe, Europe to Asia, Asia to Chicago) and rails/buses?
3. Is it better to connect with people on HelpX/wwoof while abroad and as I go (keeping spontaneity in mind)?
4. Any places I should detract or add to my list? Safety is definitely a priority (for my parents and I). I love history, going off the beaten track, experiencing new cultures, so I am open to any place suggested!
I appreciate answers to one or all questions. Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 PATRON CONTACT 1:800:681:7208 BROTHER PRINTER TECHNICAL SETUP/setting
- 2 Honeymoon Suggestions
- 3 Carryon travel to Rome- One gal's packing list in the Spring
- 4 Traveling Solo with 9 month old
- 5 garment travel organizer
- 6 International Wire/Bank Transfer to Guide Using Third-Party Service?
- 7 Which type of car ?
- 8 travel partners
- 9 Best bag type for 3 months in Europe - duffel, rolling, or backpack?
- 10 Best kids friendly Island to visit in August
- 11 Some tips when using Air BnB
- 12 Trip to Thailand vs Greece vs Peru?
- 13 to travel or settle down?
- 14 THe case for linen
- 15 CAPITAL ONE CARD: NOT FUNNY
- 16 San Diego to San Francisco in 6 days
- 17 Honeymoon info
- 18 Great Saint Bernard Pass / Lake Geneva / Northern Italy
- 19 To drive or fly on an unplanned trip?
- 20 best travel app (android or Apple)
- 21 What's your favourite beauty/grooming tip when travelling?
- 22 Newbie Using Whats App
- 23 replace my Nikon d90 by rx100 ?
- 24 Best place for a solo traveler to find a travel partner
- 25 Cape Town Ideas