I'm currently planning a year-long around the world trip and am looking for some advice. My mom passed away a few years ago, while I was in college, and among the things she left me were about 160,000 American Airlines miles, and instructions to use them wisely. I've decided that now is the time and over the past few weeks I have been doing research into volunteer opportunities abroad in the places I would most like to visit. My plan is to take as close to a year as possible to do the trip (although I know that because of the way award tickets work, realistically this will be less).
My tentative itinerary looks like this:
Los Angeles - Lima
Lima - Santiago
Santiago - Punta Arenas (to explore Patagonia)
Punta Arena - Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires - Iguasu Falls - Rio De Janeiro
Rio - London
London - Nairobi (to try and do Kilimanjaro and a Safari, if it's not too expensive)
Nairobi - Amman
Amman - Mumbai (I'd spend about a month in India and Nepal)
Mumbai - Tokyo
Tokyo - Beijing
Beijing - Hong Kong
Hong Kong - Bangkok (2 months in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia)
Bangkok - Sydney
Sydney - Los Angeles
Has anybody been to any of these places and have suggestions for stuff to do, or should I avoid any of these spots? Also, my goal is to volunteer a lot, as well as find some WWOOF farms to work on... anybody have experience with that? I know there's a lot of volunteer organizations preying on naive tourists... definitely want to avoid that whole scene, obviously.
I apologize in advance if these are stupid questions, feel free to jump on me if they are. But thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 How To Find Best Hotel In Singapore?
- 2 Which type of car ?
- 3 Some tips when using Air BnB
- 4 Cape Town Ideas
- 5 Best Hostels
- 6 European chargers, Garmins & phones
- 7 What's your favourite beauty/grooming tip when travelling?
- 8 garment travel organizer
- 9 replace my Nikon d90 by rx100 ?
- 10 best travel app (android or Apple)
- 11 Road Trip For Two
- 12 Estes Park to Lexington, KY
- 13 Copper Canyon
- 14 Travel through Expedia
- 15 Autoeurope car location...questions !
- 16 Goin' solo...nothing like it! (A trip report collection)
- 17 Round the World
- 18 Misleading third party websites
- 19 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 20 Travel ideas near spring break?
- 21 Looking for nature sights - Driving from Nashville TN - Greenville SC
- 22 Best place for a solo traveler to find a travel partner
- 23 vegas to slc loop
- 24 Driving with my 10 year old from jersey shore to Panama City
- 25 barbados or tulum