I'm currently planning a year-long around the world trip and am looking for some advice. My mom passed away a few years ago, while I was in college, and among the things she left me were about 160,000 American Airlines miles, and instructions to use them wisely. I've decided that now is the time and over the past few weeks I have been doing research into volunteer opportunities abroad in the places I would most like to visit. My plan is to take as close to a year as possible to do the trip (although I know that because of the way award tickets work, realistically this will be less).
My tentative itinerary looks like this:
Los Angeles - Lima
Lima - Santiago
Santiago - Punta Arenas (to explore Patagonia)
Punta Arena - Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires - Iguasu Falls - Rio De Janeiro
Rio - London
London - Nairobi (to try and do Kilimanjaro and a Safari, if it's not too expensive)
Nairobi - Amman
Amman - Mumbai (I'd spend about a month in India and Nepal)
Mumbai - Tokyo
Tokyo - Beijing
Beijing - Hong Kong
Hong Kong - Bangkok (2 months in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia)
Bangkok - Sydney
Sydney - Los Angeles
Has anybody been to any of these places and have suggestions for stuff to do, or should I avoid any of these spots? Also, my goal is to volunteer a lot, as well as find some WWOOF farms to work on... anybody have experience with that? I know there's a lot of volunteer organizations preying on naive tourists... definitely want to avoid that whole scene, obviously.
I apologize in advance if these are stupid questions, feel free to jump on me if they are. But thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
- 1 Which Travel Bag
- 2 Your Best Travel Tips
- 3 Tell Us Your Favorite Travel Experiences
- 4 Ideas for 3-generation family vacation
- 5 europe In January
- 6 First Time Solo from Singapore
- 7 Driving from Geneva to Milan in February
- 8 Where to go on Christmas?
- 9 Is going to Cape Town for holiday really worth it?
- 10 Does anyone else travel with bed sheets
- 11 Aruba vs. Turks & Caicos - Honeymoon
- 12 French Visa Appointment at NYC Consulate
- 13 Honeymoon: fiancee not as adventurous. Need ideas. HELP!
- 14 9-10 day trip to Southern Spain in February
- 15 Holiday Travel Plans
- 16 Looking for reviews of Great Value Vacations
- 17 Purchasing a flight with someone else's frequent flyer points
- 18 Which Hotel is near to Northern arizona university, Flagstaff
- 19 Help with honeymoon destination
- 20 places to stop and stretch.
- 21 Travel with or without kids ?
- 22 7 days European trip with kids- suggestions needed
- 23 2016 honeymoon! Need advice!
- 24 I TRAVEL THE WORLD ALONE
- 25 Where to Stay in solomon island ?