I'm currently planning a year-long around the world trip and am looking for some advice. My mom passed away a few years ago, while I was in college, and among the things she left me were about 160,000 American Airlines miles, and instructions to use them wisely. I've decided that now is the time and over the past few weeks I have been doing research into volunteer opportunities abroad in the places I would most like to visit. My plan is to take as close to a year as possible to do the trip (although I know that because of the way award tickets work, realistically this will be less).
My tentative itinerary looks like this:
Los Angeles - Lima
Lima - Santiago
Santiago - Punta Arenas (to explore Patagonia)
Punta Arena - Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires - Iguasu Falls - Rio De Janeiro
Rio - London
London - Nairobi (to try and do Kilimanjaro and a Safari, if it's not too expensive)
Nairobi - Amman
Amman - Mumbai (I'd spend about a month in India and Nepal)
Mumbai - Tokyo
Tokyo - Beijing
Beijing - Hong Kong
Hong Kong - Bangkok (2 months in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia)
Bangkok - Sydney
Sydney - Los Angeles
Has anybody been to any of these places and have suggestions for stuff to do, or should I avoid any of these spots? Also, my goal is to volunteer a lot, as well as find some WWOOF farms to work on... anybody have experience with that? I know there's a lot of volunteer organizations preying on naive tourists... definitely want to avoid that whole scene, obviously.
I apologize in advance if these are stupid questions, feel free to jump on me if they are. But thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Hummer Limousines Florida
- 2 Anybody tells me about best destination in the Hawai?
- 3 Travel idea for a 1 year old
- 4 Traveling with Kids - Suggestions for Planner/Scrapbook to BRING on Trip
- 5 Autism/Disability Travel
- 6 3-4 day weekend getaway for group
- 7 Looking for suggestions for summer vacay
- 8 Pedometer for Kids
- 9 Road trip from San Diego to Atlanta
- 10 Your Top 5 travel iPad Apps
- 11 Won a trip to anywhere in the world + hotel... where should I go!?
- 12 Honeymoon help Seattle to San Diago
- 13 1 week mother-son trip in August. Where?
- 14 Nova Scotia and PEI
- 15 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 16 Need Advice about Ticket Price Drop
- 17 Group Tours for 30 somethings
- 18 Looking for suggestions for taking photos.
- 19 Carryon travel to Rome- One gal's packing list in the Spring
- 20 Traveling to Niagara Falls-HELP ME!
- 21 Food in carry on
- 22 Traveling from 14th June to 12th Aug
- 23 Family Vacation for Mom's 80th Birthday
- 24 Spring Break in Florida?
- 25 Looking for destination suggestions