I'm currently planning a year-long around the world trip and am looking for some advice. My mom passed away a few years ago, while I was in college, and among the things she left me were about 160,000 American Airlines miles, and instructions to use them wisely. I've decided that now is the time and over the past few weeks I have been doing research into volunteer opportunities abroad in the places I would most like to visit. My plan is to take as close to a year as possible to do the trip (although I know that because of the way award tickets work, realistically this will be less).
My tentative itinerary looks like this:
Los Angeles - Lima
Lima - Santiago
Santiago - Punta Arenas (to explore Patagonia)
Punta Arena - Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires - Iguasu Falls - Rio De Janeiro
Rio - London
London - Nairobi (to try and do Kilimanjaro and a Safari, if it's not too expensive)
Nairobi - Amman
Amman - Mumbai (I'd spend about a month in India and Nepal)
Mumbai - Tokyo
Tokyo - Beijing
Beijing - Hong Kong
Hong Kong - Bangkok (2 months in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia)
Bangkok - Sydney
Sydney - Los Angeles
Has anybody been to any of these places and have suggestions for stuff to do, or should I avoid any of these spots? Also, my goal is to volunteer a lot, as well as find some WWOOF farms to work on... anybody have experience with that? I know there's a lot of volunteer organizations preying on naive tourists... definitely want to avoid that whole scene, obviously.
I apologize in advance if these are stupid questions, feel free to jump on me if they are. But thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Ice Land
- 2 Is a month and a half backpack trip around Europe worth leaving a job for?
- 3 Tom Harper River Cruise Company?
- 4 Need idea for one week trip in late November!!
- 5 Reluctant Solo Traveler
- 6 One bag travel for honeymooners
- 7 Travel Tote/Bag (women) for carrying on plane
- 8 It's buy a bag time. Help!
- 9 Late August Honeymoon Destination Help
- 10 Advanced Beauty Group - Best Country to Visit
- 11 Malaysia to Thailand and again Malaysia Visit
- 12 Vacation Destinations for a Large Family
- 13 What should my teenage boys wear in August in Italy
- 14 I TRAVEL THE WORLD ALONE
- 15 Where to keep important documents
- 16 Road Trip: - Venice - Florence - Rome
- 17 Last minute tips, specially in Southern Asia
- 18 Road Trip - Memphis, Savannah, and Charleston
- 19 Barclaycard Arrival MC chip & pin useless in Italy
- 20 Holiday to Florida
- 21 Sim Card Advice
- 22 To all of you who are responsible for hotel breakfast buffets!
- 23 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 24 First Timer: Traveling to Amsterdam Need advice
- 25 Minimalistic living for travel