I'm currently planning a year-long around the world trip and am looking for some advice. My mom passed away a few years ago, while I was in college, and among the things she left me were about 160,000 American Airlines miles, and instructions to use them wisely. I've decided that now is the time and over the past few weeks I have been doing research into volunteer opportunities abroad in the places I would most like to visit. My plan is to take as close to a year as possible to do the trip (although I know that because of the way award tickets work, realistically this will be less).
My tentative itinerary looks like this:
Los Angeles - Lima
Lima - Santiago
Santiago - Punta Arenas (to explore Patagonia)
Punta Arena - Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires - Iguasu Falls - Rio De Janeiro
Rio - London
London - Nairobi (to try and do Kilimanjaro and a Safari, if it's not too expensive)
Nairobi - Amman
Amman - Mumbai (I'd spend about a month in India and Nepal)
Mumbai - Tokyo
Tokyo - Beijing
Beijing - Hong Kong
Hong Kong - Bangkok (2 months in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia)
Bangkok - Sydney
Sydney - Los Angeles
Has anybody been to any of these places and have suggestions for stuff to do, or should I avoid any of these spots? Also, my goal is to volunteer a lot, as well as find some WWOOF farms to work on... anybody have experience with that? I know there's a lot of volunteer organizations preying on naive tourists... definitely want to avoid that whole scene, obviously.
I apologize in advance if these are stupid questions, feel free to jump on me if they are. But thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Medical Tourism Survey
- 2 Nice, France
- 3 Wildlife photography courses
- 4 Internet Banking Travel Payments
- 5 What is the most important stuff when you are travelling?
- 6 Well Needed Getaway
- 7 Is it necessary to learn native language of the country, where travelling?
- 8 Trip to Greece
- 9 Cross-Country trip advice
- 10 Working with an agency
- 11 Ideas please for January trip, family of 5, for about $3000
- 12 Managing Travel Photographs
- 13 Daypack Recommendation
- 14 How do you 'handle' your digital photos when on a trip
- 15 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 16 51st Birthday Trip
- 17 RV traveling in a fifth wheel out West
- 18 THe case for linen
- 19 JFK from manhattan on marathon sunday
- 20 MS Slendida
- 21 currency app
- 22 suggestions about noise cancelling earphone
- 23 All purpose soap
- 24 Packing a stuffed animal.
- 25 How to get a Reliable coach hire company