I'm currently planning a year-long around the world trip and am looking for some advice. My mom passed away a few years ago, while I was in college, and among the things she left me were about 160,000 American Airlines miles, and instructions to use them wisely. I've decided that now is the time and over the past few weeks I have been doing research into volunteer opportunities abroad in the places I would most like to visit. My plan is to take as close to a year as possible to do the trip (although I know that because of the way award tickets work, realistically this will be less).
My tentative itinerary looks like this:
Los Angeles - Lima
Lima - Santiago
Santiago - Punta Arenas (to explore Patagonia)
Punta Arena - Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires - Iguasu Falls - Rio De Janeiro
Rio - London
London - Nairobi (to try and do Kilimanjaro and a Safari, if it's not too expensive)
Nairobi - Amman
Amman - Mumbai (I'd spend about a month in India and Nepal)
Mumbai - Tokyo
Tokyo - Beijing
Beijing - Hong Kong
Hong Kong - Bangkok (2 months in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia)
Bangkok - Sydney
Sydney - Los Angeles
Has anybody been to any of these places and have suggestions for stuff to do, or should I avoid any of these spots? Also, my goal is to volunteer a lot, as well as find some WWOOF farms to work on... anybody have experience with that? I know there's a lot of volunteer organizations preying on naive tourists... definitely want to avoid that whole scene, obviously.
I apologize in advance if these are stupid questions, feel free to jump on me if they are. But thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Ideas for a Christmas Trip
- 2 Ask for advices for 10 days trip in Southeast Asia
- 3 Mishap and Adventure studying English in Malta
- 4 7-10 day trip ideas with kid/teen
- 5 suggestions about noise cancelling earphone
- 6 Carryon travel to Rome- One gal's packing list in the Spring
- 7 Early trip planning
- 8 Something different for family of 6
- 9 10 Days in Greece @ End of June
- 10 Amtrak's AutoTrain - yes or no?
- 11 Best site for last minute travel packages?
- 12 What is the most important stuff when you are travelling?
- 13 Europe or Asia??? Best Honeymoon destination in February
- 14 Help for my wife's 40th with her best friends
- 15 Where oh where are we going to go?
- 16 Late December, early January travel
- 17 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 18 Is it necessary to learn native language of the country, where travelling?
- 19 Nice, France
- 20 Finding deals based on departure location
- 21 Travel Tips in the Philippines
- 22 St croix or Cancun HELP!
- 23 Turkey - Best Route and Mode of Travel
- 24 First time travel to Italy
- 25 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips