I'm currently planning a year-long around the world trip and am looking for some advice. My mom passed away a few years ago, while I was in college, and among the things she left me were about 160,000 American Airlines miles, and instructions to use them wisely. I've decided that now is the time and over the past few weeks I have been doing research into volunteer opportunities abroad in the places I would most like to visit. My plan is to take as close to a year as possible to do the trip (although I know that because of the way award tickets work, realistically this will be less).
My tentative itinerary looks like this:
Los Angeles - Lima
Lima - Santiago
Santiago - Punta Arenas (to explore Patagonia)
Punta Arena - Buenos Aires
Buenos Aires - Iguasu Falls - Rio De Janeiro
Rio - London
London - Nairobi (to try and do Kilimanjaro and a Safari, if it's not too expensive)
Nairobi - Amman
Amman - Mumbai (I'd spend about a month in India and Nepal)
Mumbai - Tokyo
Tokyo - Beijing
Beijing - Hong Kong
Hong Kong - Bangkok (2 months in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia)
Bangkok - Sydney
Sydney - Los Angeles
Has anybody been to any of these places and have suggestions for stuff to do, or should I avoid any of these spots? Also, my goal is to volunteer a lot, as well as find some WWOOF farms to work on... anybody have experience with that? I know there's a lot of volunteer organizations preying on naive tourists... definitely want to avoid that whole scene, obviously.
I apologize in advance if these are stupid questions, feel free to jump on me if they are. But thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Fan 220v or dual volt for travel
- 2 Las Vegas to page the Grand Canyon to Phoenix
- 3 Tips for tour guides on a week or longer trip
- 4 Travel towel?
- 5 Train ride from Florida to Alaska
- 6 Do any of you have Away luggage?
- 7 Favorite budget travel items?
- 8 One way to and one way back home?
- 9 Irish Pubs and other Fun Things
- 10 Holiday ideas urgently needed for mother and daughter holiday
- 11 Connection Time for Dulles
- 12 What's the most expensive country you have been to?
- 13 Ideas for road trip, South Florida up to Charleston, SC
- 14 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 15 Solo travel in Europe as a 18 year old female
- 16 Road trip Houston to Creede Colorado
- 17 9 days trip start from Turin, Italy
- 18 Fort Lauderdale to New York
- 19 4hrs layover at miami international airport enough?
- 20 Fliip Key vs VRBO
- 21 Question about USD Value in Other Countrues
- 22 Carryon travel to Rome- One gal's packing list in the Spring
- 23 Budapest to Copenhagen trip ideas
- 24 What is the best Internet Service Provider in Cairo, Egypt?
- 25 How realistic traveling without money actually is?