My experience might help someone renew their child's passport efficiently.
My eldest daughter is 4 years old and she only had 5 months remaining on her passport. We were to travel to England, Greece and Austria in three weeks. Reading online, it seems like 6 months validity was recommended on her passport but 3 months was necessary. So we were good. Or so I thought.
But as the trip was nearing, I called the airline to confirm that we were ok. They could not say either way. I called the official government website:
after being on hold for a while, the operator told me that I needed to renew my daughter's passport and gave me a date in the Miami location. I chose the first appointment of the day 8:30am, thinking that maybe just maybe they could get me a passport the same day. We don't live in Miami. We are 4 hours away.
I investigated the numerous private agency that promise a passport in 24 hours for 500$, but like it was stated on the official website, the child in question has to be physically present at the appointment. So I concluded that throwing my money at some agency was not going to help me if in the end we still needed to be physically present in Miami. Both parents were present in Miami.
We gave them her old passport, her original birth certificate with a copy, a driver for each of the parents with a copy of it, front and back, passport pictures, a copy of her plane ticket showing that it is in less than 2 weeks.
I had a lot more documents just in case...
Unprompted, the agency told us to come back at 2:30pm to pick up her bran new passport. Et voila.
We might not have needed a new passport, but I am glad it is done nevertheless.
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 4 week travel with teens
- 2 What to do on long flights?
- 3 Beware of HolidayCars.com
- 4 One month free to travel in February
- 5 Packing for Safari in Kenya
- 6 Honeymoon Destination
- 7 How to find the best adventure tour
- 8 If UK visit visa works for Europe too!
- 9 What's the most expensive country you have been to?
- 10 How do you like my plan for a gap year?
- 11 Destination suggestion, departing from Vegas and returning to Detroit
- 12 How to travel with only carry on...with a baby
- 13 Feb - a week get away for 2 couples
- 14 Goin' solo...nothing like it! (A trip report collection)
- 15 Need Amalfi planning help
- 16 Where to go...April of 2018
- 17 Cautionary tale about ATM use
- 18 Why Access to Services at Home should not affect your next trip
- 19 California Zepher
- 20 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 21 Babymoon w/ toddler Fall Ideas (Zika)
- 22 6 day 5 night Honeymoon from US
- 23 Honeymoon ideas STAT
- 24 Looking for travel filmmakers to collaborate and travel together!
- 25 Airport robbery