I am a very active 22 year old male who has always wanted to travel the world. I've taken a few small backpacking trips, and until I turn 26 can fly very cheaply thanks to my dad's work, as long as I maintain some kind of student status. Long background short, I've averaged 80 hours a week this year as a roughneck saving up for this, along with volunteering with 1st graders and scrambling to maintain a 4.0 (2 years engineering, 2 business. Odd degree). I love teaching, and consider seeing/working in diverse places to be my personal holistic education in things worth passing on.
I'm in an awesome position financially/resume wise, but very, very tired. I have big ambitions, but need a way to rest first. What is a good way to do this? A part time job and cheap bed, where I can sleep lots, eat well, and lift properly again is my idea. (Maybe I can work out a flexible schedule that will allow lots of time for travel). I know I can figure the travel out later, where I can see lots of places, surf, and volunteer in places like Afghanistan where my church goes. But resting is very hard for me-days off are often more stressful than 20 hour shifts or finals. Anyone who's worked 100+ hr weeks and stayed up to finish a final I'm sure knows how that feels.
Any suggestions, stories, job ideas? Restaurant server, etc. I also like the idea of working holidays-teaching abroad, surf/snowboard instructor, laborer, etc.
Thanks very much!
Preparing For A See-The-World Trip
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Fall Road Trip
- 2 Don't rent from Avis Car Rental
- 3 San Francisco or San Diego
- 4 December 3 Week Vacation
- 5 Luggage Help: Need a Luggage or Duffel at least 31" x 23" (78 x 57cm)
- 6 Recommendations for Light-Weight, 4-Wheel, 22-in. Roll On.
- 7 Home Exchanges
- 8 Noise Cancelling Headphones
- 9 Groupon Cancellation/Transfer Option
- 10 Travel Tote/Bag (women) for carrying on plane
- 11 6 weeks in the Americas during December
- 12 Shoes for round the world trip - suitable for hiking and running?
- 13 Scammers on Airbnb site
- 14 India food Tours
- 15 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 16 VPN? Witopia? If so, which?
- 17 Looking for reviews of Great Value Vacations
- 18 Going to Costa Rica
- 19 Air B&B
- 20 Single supplements
- 21 Has anyone used Autoslash?
- 22 Discounted luggage websites
- 23 Should I book through Luxury Link?
- 24 Could I fit all this into a 3 week road trip?
- 25 Travel eruope early November this year