I am a very active 22 year old male who has always wanted to travel the world. I've taken a few small backpacking trips, and until I turn 26 can fly very cheaply thanks to my dad's work, as long as I maintain some kind of student status. Long background short, I've averaged 80 hours a week this year as a roughneck saving up for this, along with volunteering with 1st graders and scrambling to maintain a 4.0 (2 years engineering, 2 business. Odd degree). I love teaching, and consider seeing/working in diverse places to be my personal holistic education in things worth passing on.
I'm in an awesome position financially/resume wise, but very, very tired. I have big ambitions, but need a way to rest first. What is a good way to do this? A part time job and cheap bed, where I can sleep lots, eat well, and lift properly again is my idea. (Maybe I can work out a flexible schedule that will allow lots of time for travel). I know I can figure the travel out later, where I can see lots of places, surf, and volunteer in places like Afghanistan where my church goes. But resting is very hard for me-days off are often more stressful than 20 hour shifts or finals. Anyone who's worked 100+ hr weeks and stayed up to finish a final I'm sure knows how that feels.
Any suggestions, stories, job ideas? Restaurant server, etc. I also like the idea of working holidays-teaching abroad, surf/snowboard instructor, laborer, etc.
Thanks very much!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Road trip from Portland to San Francisco
- 2 Late October European Trek Adventure suggestions
- 3 7 Day in Tuscany Villa in Italy?
- 4 Travel Escort idea
- 5 7 days from Madrid to Barcelona
- 6 Sailboat charter through the British Virgin Islands
- 7 New England Fall Foliage
- 8 Driving up the coast from L to San Fran
- 9 Travel on a $2000 Budget
- 10 House/Pet Sitting travel
- 11 regain air ticket cost from travel insurance company
- 12 A week to go somewhere
- 13 What is the most important stuff when you are travelling?
- 14 Driving in Ireland
- 15 Nikon Coolpix L830angle camera - alternatives?
- 16 LAX to Dodger Stadium
- 17 Carrying your passport
- 18 Road trip or Train
- 19 Singapore or Disneyland Paris
- 20 Ideal Trip!
- 21 Daughter's Tour to korea
- 22 Inexpensive travel from Gothenburg or Copenhagen
- 23 Does anyone else travel with bed sheets
- 24 Packing advice for fall trip to Europe
- 25 Where to go for short visit?