I am a very active 22 year old male who has always wanted to travel the world. I've taken a few small backpacking trips, and until I turn 26 can fly very cheaply thanks to my dad's work, as long as I maintain some kind of student status. Long background short, I've averaged 80 hours a week this year as a roughneck saving up for this, along with volunteering with 1st graders and scrambling to maintain a 4.0 (2 years engineering, 2 business. Odd degree). I love teaching, and consider seeing/working in diverse places to be my personal holistic education in things worth passing on.
I'm in an awesome position financially/resume wise, but very, very tired. I have big ambitions, but need a way to rest first. What is a good way to do this? A part time job and cheap bed, where I can sleep lots, eat well, and lift properly again is my idea. (Maybe I can work out a flexible schedule that will allow lots of time for travel). I know I can figure the travel out later, where I can see lots of places, surf, and volunteer in places like Afghanistan where my church goes. But resting is very hard for me-days off are often more stressful than 20 hour shifts or finals. Anyone who's worked 100+ hr weeks and stayed up to finish a final I'm sure knows how that feels.
Any suggestions, stories, job ideas? Restaurant server, etc. I also like the idea of working holidays-teaching abroad, surf/snowboard instructor, laborer, etc.
Thanks very much!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Packing a family of 8 in a minivan for an out of state camping trip
- 2 multi-destinations with multi-type travel
- 3 How to Avoid Pickpockets in Paris
- 4 5 Best travel apps? (open)
- 5 When to introduce kids to international travel?
- 6 Not quite sure where to go yet...
- 7 South Italy Trip Ideas
- 8 Ipad apps for travel in germany
- 9 Advice for traveling with leg/hip pain
- 10 Travel Bangkok to Songkhla
- 11 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 12 Daypack Recommendation
- 13 Grand Luxury Hotels
- 14 YQG to PMO on AC with connection in FCO on Alitalia
- 15 Where to go with an infant?
- 16 Retrieving Voice Mail abroad - Help me
- 17 Carryon travel to Rome- One gal's packing list in the Spring
- 18 Where is the most expensive hotel in the world?
- 19 3 kids under 5 - where to go from Cali
- 20 ONE WAY car rental from NYC to BOS
- 21 Baggage transfers - two separate bookings but same airlines
- 22 Trip ideas for 4 yo, 2 yo, and infant?
- 23 Around the World - 6 months, more land and less planes
- 24 Found Ring is 'lost' 3 days after it should have been mailed
- 25 August vacation for couple in 20's