I would appreciate folks' experience, for a dear friend of mine,
in selecting two to four pieces of sturdy (yet hopefully also presentable/ attractive) luggage.
She will be making the selection and purchase four days from now, possibly at Walmart (which I do understand is not the store where one would first head for a selection of
the highest-quality product selections)
We are not consumers who would even consider the fancy, (but in my opinion) overpriced "designer" products (L. Vuitton, etc) Not intending to cause any riots by mentioning that, just providing a thumbnail of our financial level.
I'm hoping that there is some useful input on products that will be worth their cost of perhaps $100-250 total for two-four pieces (max of two large & two carryon items maybe) and also be reliable and sturdy. That dollar figure is an ESTIMATE about her plans; I do not have the actual available dollar figure. She may have more than $150 but I don't know for a fact ; sorry about lacking that detail here in the forum. Please resist any temptation to tell me how out-of-date I am about pricing of luggage/ brands, etc. I'm simply trying to help
her to gather some useful data. I myself haven't done out-of-state flying for several years now however my family did live in Japan, in DC, etc. ...it's just that in the past 15 years or so, my finances are no longer such that I can travel other than to visit a family member in a different state on occasion.
just the very basic, streamlined advice, such as:
yes/ no choices for one or two pieces of standard luggage to use for a flight btw Nevada and one of the two DC airports (so there will be lots of airport/ car logistics on the arrival trip AND on the return trip).
My friend is a working single mother, making ends meet, paying for braces for her daughter, father NOT on the scene or providng any money (he's a dangerous guy).
.She does not own an automobile, so it's likely that a chunk of her travel money will have to go to paying taxicab fares. That's why I don't want her to rush home from Walmart,
with the first cheap item of luggage that has a pretty bow on it, and then have it fall apart in the first few logistical struggles of a cross-country trip during the holiday crowds.
Please just a few lines of "this brand is always reliably well-built and the price I paid for two pieces was ------"....She's going shopping during (next ) weekend Oct 25th or so. Unfortunately I only HAVE a few-days' notice, so I would deeply appreciate anyone's help with a "just the facts, ma'am" version of this. Please mention maybe an average price, and maybe a minimum price to expect, for a basic large suitcase of a particular brand (not with fancy accessories added)
Also I don't know if this is allowed on this blog, but if you've had horrible consistent experiences with some particular brand that is the only brand carried .... not a long list, just if it's one particular brand which you have found to fall apart after one or two trips ....please tell me "don't recommend wasting even $5 on this brand".
Thank you SO much. Peace.
Not ending up with junky, overpriced luggage
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Help finding a beach resort w/ nightlife for a young couple!
- 2 my travel ignorance
- 3 Your favorite USA car rental company
- 4 Your Best Travel Tips
- 5 Northern Lights
- 6 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 7 Road trip along the east coast with tween & teen
- 8 First Trip To Japan and South Korea Solo!
- 9 Travel Insurance or not
- 10 Duffel size needed for 33lb limit
- 11 Are these shoes too American looking?
- 12 Economy PLus on United to China
- 13 Down or synthetic sleeping bag?
- 14 Light weight Luggage
- 15 3 weeks backpacking around Europe, how to call home?
- 16 Online Booking Agency- which one to use?
- 17 Teaching Abroad with Expiring Passport
- 18 Where to go over New Years?
- 19 Travel Tote/Bag (women) for carrying on plane
- 20 Favorite airline and hotel booking sites
- 21 Seeking Family All-Inclusive Advice
- 22 Relaxing September Getaway: Scenic Destination with Outdoor Activities
- 23 transportation from Rome airport to Siena
- 24 Ideas for a family trip
- 25 Best Travel Vehicle for Family of 4