I'm a big roadtrip fan, and it looks like I'll finally be able to afford to add a few more states to my trip list this year I'm planning to rent a car and drive from Portland, OR to my family in Detroit, MI and then fly back. The trip will go through the following states, mostly via freeway:
- South Dakota
- North Dakota
I'm looking to hit the highlights in each state (i.e. Mount Rushmore) ; I know there's a lot to do in each state by itself, but this is more of a quick tour. I'm also driving mostly through Oregon and Michigan, since I've lived in both states for some time.
Is a trip like this possible in 1-2 weeks? I was originally thinking I could do this in a week, but now I don't think it's possible.
Please let me know your tips on timeline and places to visit. It's a really rough plan at the moment, and I wanted to get idea of how much time before I start planning all the specifics.
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 How to Avoid Pickpockets in Paris
- 2 Husband's 40th Birthday
- 3 Advice for traveling with leg/hip pain
- 4 Packing a family of 8 in a minivan for an out of state camping trip
- 5 multi-destinations with multi-type travel
- 6 5 Best travel apps? (open)
- 7 When to introduce kids to international travel?
- 8 Not quite sure where to go yet...
- 9 South Italy Trip Ideas
- 10 Ipad apps for travel in germany
- 11 Travel Bangkok to Songkhla
- 12 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 13 Daypack Recommendation
- 14 Grand Luxury Hotels
- 15 YQG to PMO on AC with connection in FCO on Alitalia
- 16 Where to go with an infant?
- 17 Retrieving Voice Mail abroad - Help me
- 18 Carryon travel to Rome- One gal's packing list in the Spring
- 19 Where is the most expensive hotel in the world?
- 20 3 kids under 5 - where to go from Cali
- 21 ONE WAY car rental from NYC to BOS
- 22 Baggage transfers - two separate bookings but same airlines
- 23 Trip ideas for 4 yo, 2 yo, and infant?
- 24 Around the World - 6 months, more land and less planes
- 25 Found Ring is 'lost' 3 days after it should have been mailed