I'm a big roadtrip fan, and it looks like I'll finally be able to afford to add a few more states to my trip list this year I'm planning to rent a car and drive from Portland, OR to my family in Detroit, MI and then fly back. The trip will go through the following states, mostly via freeway:
- South Dakota
- North Dakota
I'm looking to hit the highlights in each state (i.e. Mount Rushmore) ; I know there's a lot to do in each state by itself, but this is more of a quick tour. I'm also driving mostly through Oregon and Michigan, since I've lived in both states for some time.
Is a trip like this possible in 1-2 weeks? I was originally thinking I could do this in a week, but now I don't think it's possible.
Please let me know your tips on timeline and places to visit. It's a really rough plan at the moment, and I wanted to get idea of how much time before I start planning all the specifics.
Northern U.S. Road Trip Ideas
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Where to go on multi-gen trip in Apr 2015 with2 & 6 year olds?
- 2 December travel - where to go?
- 3 Be your own travel agency
- 4 Home security while traveling?
- 5 How much do you pay a travel agent?
- 6 Home Exchanges
- 7 2 Week Honeymoon France, Italy, Spain, Greece, Rome
- 8 Affordable January Trip Ideas
- 9 Air B&B
- 10 Suggest best accomodation in singapore
- 11 What's stopping you from traveling more?
- 12 US $ or local currency when booking hotel online?
- 13 Phone service
- 14 Don't rent from Avis Car Rental
- 15 Want suggestion for Diwali tour place
- 16 Recommendations for Light-Weight, 4-Wheel, 22-in. Roll On.
- 17 Fall Road Trip
- 18 December 3 Week Vacation
- 19 San Francisco or San Diego
- 20 Luggage Help: Need a Luggage or Duffel at least 31" x 23" (78 x 57cm)
- 21 Noise Cancelling Headphones
- 22 Groupon Cancellation/Transfer Option
- 23 Travel Tote/Bag (women) for carrying on plane
- 24 6 weeks in the Americas during December
- 25 Shoes for round the world trip - suitable for hiking and running?