I'm a big roadtrip fan, and it looks like I'll finally be able to afford to add a few more states to my trip list this year I'm planning to rent a car and drive from Portland, OR to my family in Detroit, MI and then fly back. The trip will go through the following states, mostly via freeway:
- South Dakota
- North Dakota
I'm looking to hit the highlights in each state (i.e. Mount Rushmore) ; I know there's a lot to do in each state by itself, but this is more of a quick tour. I'm also driving mostly through Oregon and Michigan, since I've lived in both states for some time.
Is a trip like this possible in 1-2 weeks? I was originally thinking I could do this in a week, but now I don't think it's possible.
Please let me know your tips on timeline and places to visit. It's a really rough plan at the moment, and I wanted to get idea of how much time before I start planning all the specifics.
Northern U.S. Road Trip Ideas
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 $950,000 travel insurance mistake
- 2 What's stopping you from traveling more?
- 3 10-14 days BKK, Udon Thani & Beach with kids
- 4 Need packing tips: 24 days in Japan
- 5 Hotel bidding site recommendations.
- 6 Winter Roadside Emergency Kit
- 7 Phone service
- 8 Does anyone have the Sparrow bag I read about in Sunday's LA Times?
- 9 Barclaycard Arrival MC chip & pin useless in Italy
- 10 10 Days of travel help!
- 11 Noise Cancelling Headphones
- 12 Travel Tote/Bag (women) for carrying on plane
- 13 Travel Agency Review for Trip to Spain
- 14 NEED URGENT DESTINATION ADVICE!
- 15 Group Tours for 30 somethings
- 16 French gastronomy
- 17 Thailand, Laos, Cambodia
- 18 Looking for a hat to wear in the rainforest
- 19 Re-checking bag after a layover.
- 20 Best places to start...
- 21 25th wedding anniv travel
- 22 Where in the World Should We Go?
- 23 Friends Seeking Advice
- 24 December travel - where to go?
- 25 Travel health insurance