I'm a big roadtrip fan, and it looks like I'll finally be able to afford to add a few more states to my trip list this year I'm planning to rent a car and drive from Portland, OR to my family in Detroit, MI and then fly back. The trip will go through the following states, mostly via freeway:
- South Dakota
- North Dakota
I'm looking to hit the highlights in each state (i.e. Mount Rushmore) ; I know there's a lot to do in each state by itself, but this is more of a quick tour. I'm also driving mostly through Oregon and Michigan, since I've lived in both states for some time.
Is a trip like this possible in 1-2 weeks? I was originally thinking I could do this in a week, but now I don't think it's possible.
Please let me know your tips on timeline and places to visit. It's a really rough plan at the moment, and I wanted to get idea of how much time before I start planning all the specifics.
Northern U.S. Road Trip Ideas
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Why Are B&B's So Overrated?
- 2 Baggage
- 3 Keeping yourself safe while abroad
- 4 Torn between Trips
- 5 Travel Tote/Bag (women) for carrying on plane
- 6 40th birthday trip with my husband
- 7 Will pollution wreck my Beijing dreams ?
- 8 BEWARE of Grand Circle Travel SCAMS!!!
- 9 Money belts, neck wallets, etc.
- 10 Saying hello to all the disc golf playing travelers!
- 11 50th birthday in January destination
- 12 Where in the world to go in December by myself for 5 days? Select Cities.
- 13 Banks that do not charge foreign ATM fees
- 14 Discounted luggage websites
- 15 Wannabe female solo traveler seeking reassurance
- 16 Beer Prices Around the World!
- 17 Solo female June traveler looking for trip ideas/advice
- 18 Carrying a smartphone
- 19 Bad recommendation on Super shuttle Paris
- 20 Advice about a cycling holiday
- 21 Best Time to Purchase Flights
- 22 22 hours layover in London Heathrow
- 23 Groupon Getaways
- 24 Rain Boots
- 25 Travel Books for Kids?