I'm a big roadtrip fan, and it looks like I'll finally be able to afford to add a few more states to my trip list this year I'm planning to rent a car and drive from Portland, OR to my family in Detroit, MI and then fly back. The trip will go through the following states, mostly via freeway:
- South Dakota
- North Dakota
I'm looking to hit the highlights in each state (i.e. Mount Rushmore) ; I know there's a lot to do in each state by itself, but this is more of a quick tour. I'm also driving mostly through Oregon and Michigan, since I've lived in both states for some time.
Is a trip like this possible in 1-2 weeks? I was originally thinking I could do this in a week, but now I don't think it's possible.
Please let me know your tips on timeline and places to visit. It's a really rough plan at the moment, and I wanted to get idea of how much time before I start planning all the specifics.
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Smallest Backpack you've used
- 2 Mapping tool for multi-mode, multi-destination trip?
- 3 Footwear / clothing for adventure / exploring
- 4 14 Days SD - VC BC And Back
- 5 Itinerary Planning Apps
- 6 Credit Card Travel Protection insurance - did anyone used it?
- 7 First rv trip
- 8 Amsterdam or Dublin?
- 9 Comfortable shoes that can go to dinner
- 10 Should I go for a GoPro, DSLR or drone?
- 11 Help us pick our 10 year anniversary destination!
- 12 First time traveler
- 13 Go-Pro or Olympus Tough camera
- 14 Exploring a City
- 15 Dolomites for 2 days
- 16 May or June trip ideas with 2 adult children
- 17 Drive from SD to Yellowstone
- 18 Travel from Alaska to Chicago by train?
- 19 Looking for a Travel Buddy to Explore More of Eastern Europe and Spain
- 20 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 21 Is it necessary to learn native language of the country, where travelling?
- 22 looking for travel buddy to join kanha national park trip
- 23 Passport Help!!!
- 24 First time travelling outside the USA
- 25 Iceland-Landmannalaugar