I'm a big roadtrip fan, and it looks like I'll finally be able to afford to add a few more states to my trip list this year I'm planning to rent a car and drive from Portland, OR to my family in Detroit, MI and then fly back. The trip will go through the following states, mostly via freeway:
- South Dakota
- North Dakota
I'm looking to hit the highlights in each state (i.e. Mount Rushmore) ; I know there's a lot to do in each state by itself, but this is more of a quick tour. I'm also driving mostly through Oregon and Michigan, since I've lived in both states for some time.
Is a trip like this possible in 1-2 weeks? I was originally thinking I could do this in a week, but now I don't think it's possible.
Please let me know your tips on timeline and places to visit. It's a really rough plan at the moment, and I wanted to get idea of how much time before I start planning all the specifics.
Northern U.S. Road Trip Ideas
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Traveling long haul for the first time
- 2 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 3 RDIF Security Bags/Wallets
- 4 Light weight Luggage
- 5 Carry-on Luggage
- 6 Help? Where to go with an 18 year old boy?
- 7 Traveling with a smartphone
- 8 Which place would you like to travel ?
- 9 Transferring on an international flight
- 10 Need Help: Winter US/Carrib Vacation Ideas
- 11 Accessing online banking while in Europe
- 12 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 13 AutoSlash and Hotel Tonight - Your Reviews
- 14 Thanksgiving week trip
- 15 Is there a company or website that compares SIM cards?
- 16 Around the World Ticket/Trips
- 17 Hotel bidding site recommendations.
- 18 Thrifty OHare parking
- 19 Saving money travelling the world
- 20 Family Holiday in Turkey-with three kids aged 12,10 & 7
- 21 Hitchhiking robot - way cool!
- 22 Anyone Tried US CBP's Mobile Passport Program at ATL?
- 23 Discounted luggage websites
- 24 First Time Going to Europe - Ideas?
- 25 New York, Vegas or the Carribean