I'm a big roadtrip fan, and it looks like I'll finally be able to afford to add a few more states to my trip list this year I'm planning to rent a car and drive from Portland, OR to my family in Detroit, MI and then fly back. The trip will go through the following states, mostly via freeway:
- South Dakota
- North Dakota
I'm looking to hit the highlights in each state (i.e. Mount Rushmore) ; I know there's a lot to do in each state by itself, but this is more of a quick tour. I'm also driving mostly through Oregon and Michigan, since I've lived in both states for some time.
Is a trip like this possible in 1-2 weeks? I was originally thinking I could do this in a week, but now I don't think it's possible.
Please let me know your tips on timeline and places to visit. It's a really rough plan at the moment, and I wanted to get idea of how much time before I start planning all the specifics.
Northern U.S. Road Trip Ideas
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Driving trip from Vancouver to Rockies in June
- 2 Rovia booking engine
- 3 Visa expiration and re entry
- 4 Places to travel in June or July
- 5 Packing Help - What to take
- 6 Jacket with pockets
- 7 Traveling to Eastern Europe
- 8 Travel pants for women - advice needed for Europe trip (soon!)
- 9 2 Week Trip for Newleywed's - Adventure and Beach
- 10 Your Top 5 travel iPad Apps
- 11 What are the best wlking shoes for in city travel?
- 12 Trip suggestions for 3-5 day vacation from New Orleans?
- 13 Dual time zone watches
- 14 Escorted Travel Agency?
- 15 30th Birthday Girls Trip
- 16 Website for good hotel rates?
- 17 Famous Places to Visit in Paris?
- 18 What color nail polish in France
- 19 Travel Clothing
- 20 advance single 1st class rail travel with virgin trains
- 21 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 22 Where to go - Mexico, Dominican Republic, Cuba or Cape Verde???
- 23 Looking for travel app (iOS) to map my custom walking tour...
- 24 AVIS' car rental Dirty Tricks
- 25 Getting a Second Passport