I'm a big roadtrip fan, and it looks like I'll finally be able to afford to add a few more states to my trip list this year I'm planning to rent a car and drive from Portland, OR to my family in Detroit, MI and then fly back. The trip will go through the following states, mostly via freeway:
- South Dakota
- North Dakota
I'm looking to hit the highlights in each state (i.e. Mount Rushmore) ; I know there's a lot to do in each state by itself, but this is more of a quick tour. I'm also driving mostly through Oregon and Michigan, since I've lived in both states for some time.
Is a trip like this possible in 1-2 weeks? I was originally thinking I could do this in a week, but now I don't think it's possible.
Please let me know your tips on timeline and places to visit. It's a really rough plan at the moment, and I wanted to get idea of how much time before I start planning all the specifics.
Northern U.S. Road Trip Ideas
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 India food Tours
- 2 Noise Cancelling Headphones
- 3 Thanksgiving week trip
- 4 VPN? Witopia? If so, which?
- 5 Air B&B
- 6 Single supplements
- 7 Has anyone used Autoslash?
- 8 Discounted luggage websites
- 9 Should I book through Luxury Link?
- 10 Could I fit all this into a 3 week road trip?
- 11 Travel eruope early November this year
- 12 Group Tours for 30 somethings
- 13 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 14 Traveling long haul for the first time
- 15 Where would you go if you were us?
- 16 Anniversary trip
- 17 Shoes for round the world trip - suitable for hiking and running?
- 18 Help? Where to go with an 18 year old boy?
- 19 A Killer Whale Spectacle in Nice
- 20 Online Visas
- 21 Traveling with a smartphone
- 22 Learning vacations
- 23 Goin' solo...nothing like it! (A trip report collection)
- 24 Crossing Borders
- 25 RDIF Security Bags/Wallets