I'm a big roadtrip fan, and it looks like I'll finally be able to afford to add a few more states to my trip list this year I'm planning to rent a car and drive from Portland, OR to my family in Detroit, MI and then fly back. The trip will go through the following states, mostly via freeway:
- South Dakota
- North Dakota
I'm looking to hit the highlights in each state (i.e. Mount Rushmore) ; I know there's a lot to do in each state by itself, but this is more of a quick tour. I'm also driving mostly through Oregon and Michigan, since I've lived in both states for some time.
Is a trip like this possible in 1-2 weeks? I was originally thinking I could do this in a week, but now I don't think it's possible.
Please let me know your tips on timeline and places to visit. It's a really rough plan at the moment, and I wanted to get idea of how much time before I start planning all the specifics.
Northern U.S. Road Trip Ideas
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Trip to Paris
- 2 Where to travel?
- 3 Hostel suggestions
- 4 trip ideas in May...
- 5 Travel Resolutions: Do You Have Any For 2015?
- 6 Honeymoon on a budget leaving Perth, Australia
- 7 Beach trip...florida or caribbean island in mid march
- 8 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 9 Ideas for mid winter solo trip someplace warm or cold, but fun!!
- 10 finding last minute packages
- 11 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 12 Package to Paris, Flight Not Included. 2 Travel Insurance Policies Needed?
- 13 Scotland
- 14 Car Rentals are expensive!
- 15 Goin' solo...nothing like it! (A trip report collection)
- 16 Moving from DC to Texas
- 17 Japan vs. California vs. Hawaii
- 18 First solo travel adventure! Please help!
- 19 Looking for a hat to wear in the rainforest
- 20 Your favorite, toddler-friendly international destination???
- 21 Travel Tote to attach to rolling bag
- 22 First Solo Trip in my 20s
- 23 Best ways to get around when you can't rent a car?
- 24 Which luggage scales?
- 25 Need suggestions for solo trip (2-3 weeks, next May)