I'm a big roadtrip fan, and it looks like I'll finally be able to afford to add a few more states to my trip list this year I'm planning to rent a car and drive from Portland, OR to my family in Detroit, MI and then fly back. The trip will go through the following states, mostly via freeway:
- South Dakota
- North Dakota
I'm looking to hit the highlights in each state (i.e. Mount Rushmore) ; I know there's a lot to do in each state by itself, but this is more of a quick tour. I'm also driving mostly through Oregon and Michigan, since I've lived in both states for some time.
Is a trip like this possible in 1-2 weeks? I was originally thinking I could do this in a week, but now I don't think it's possible.
Please let me know your tips on timeline and places to visit. It's a really rough plan at the moment, and I wanted to get idea of how much time before I start planning all the specifics.
Northern U.S. Road Trip Ideas
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 ebook on traveling on a budget
- 2 Are these shoes too American looking?
- 3 Half Moon Bay, CA - stay there or go to Napa Valley?
- 4 Where to go over New Years?
- 5 Most Exotic and Adventurous Trip Possible
- 6 Honeymoon
- 7 Help finding a beach resort w/ nightlife for a young couple!
- 8 my travel ignorance
- 9 Your favorite USA car rental company
- 10 Your Best Travel Tips
- 11 Northern Lights
- 12 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 13 Road trip along the east coast with tween & teen
- 14 First Trip To Japan and South Korea Solo!
- 15 Travel Insurance or not
- 16 Duffel size needed for 33lb limit
- 17 Economy PLus on United to China
- 18 Down or synthetic sleeping bag?
- 19 Light weight Luggage
- 20 3 weeks backpacking around Europe, how to call home?
- 21 Online Booking Agency- which one to use?
- 22 Teaching Abroad with Expiring Passport
- 23 Travel Tote/Bag (women) for carrying on plane
- 24 Favorite airline and hotel booking sites
- 25 Seeking Family All-Inclusive Advice