I dedicate this piece of my image to 'Darwin's Nightmare', and people of Mwanza.
It was directed by an Austrian highly intelligent filmmaker Hubert Sauper who has a deep understanding of the political, social and economical complexities of the realities he is filming. His film was nominated for an Academy Award.
In Darwin's Nightmare, Saupert transports us to Tanzania, to the small town of Mwanza on the shores of Africa's biggest lake Victoria. We learn that the town sees a lot of business because of the massive exports of a fish called the Nile Perch. This species of fish was not known in that lake before the 1960s when it was introduced to the lake. A predatory species, the fish multiplied, but also caused the extinction of other species to the point that the lake could be considered a mono culture.
The export of the fish is seemingly good for the development of Mwanza because it gives jobs to tousands of people who work in a processing plant. Two airplanes come every day from Russia to this little town to load in 500 tons of frozen, packaged fish fillets and fly them back to the restaurants and dining rooms of Europe. The daily cargo could feed the little town for a long time, but the villagers don't get to see the fish fillets because after the fish has gone through he modern processing plant, they cannot afford the fish. Although millions of people in the Tanzanian interior live on the brink of famine. Some of them will eat fried fish heads, which are processed in vast open-air pits infested with maggots and scavenging birds. Along the shores of the lake, homeless children fight over scraps of food and get high from the fumes of melting plastic-foam containers used to pack the fish. In the encampments where the fishermen live, AIDS is rampant and the afflicted walk back to their villages to die.
Unfortunately the fish business is a ........
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Does the USB car charger (UK edition ) suffice for my car travel ?
- 2 Searching for co-travelers!
- 3 Do liquids HAVE to be in a quart size baggie?
- 4 Apps for Solo Travellers?
- 5 Carryon travel to Rome- One gal's packing list in the Spring
- 6 Beer Prices Around the World!
- 7 Family trip Europe
- 8 Is a month and a half backpack trip around Europe worth leaving a job for?
- 9 Home security while traveling
- 10 More on Phony Reviews
- 11 Advice for a newbie
- 12 Pros & cons of "travel" vests
- 13 Car Rentals in Italy
- 14 Spontaneous solo backpacking trip
- 15 Italy or Napa Valley? Mother daughter duo
- 16 What do you use to save money on travel?
- 17 Ideas February trip
- 18 Help with Itinerary for Trip with Kids to Carmel
- 19 Day bags when traveling
- 20 slippery sleeping bags with mat on slopes
- 21 cell phone adapters in UK and Europe
- 22 Three Week West Coast Road Trip
- 23 Family Road trip Jersey to PEI - Best route 1 overnight
- 24 Roundup of overseas cell phone plan options, or: To SIM or not to SIM?
- 25 Daughter's 30 Bday trip
My dedication to 'Darwin's Nightmare', and people of Mwanza