We are looking to travel next spring during Spring Break with our 3yo daughter for 7-10 days. We are looking for a beach vacation and are planning on using miles to travel from Portland, OR. Our daughter thus far has been a good traveller and is used to 6hr long flights, although the one red eye that i did with her was painful. We are looking to travel to Maui, Turks & Caicos or Roatan, Honduras, and need help in choosing a place to travel. Here are some details about us and what we are looking for in a trip:
Us: We like to travel overall. I have always been more adventurous in choosing locations, and my husband gripes but usually ends up loving the places that I choose. We want to relax by a beautiful beach where the currents aren't so strong that our daughter can't wade in the water. We typically like to see and do a few cultural things, but since the arrival of our daughter, long car rides and visits to museums are kept to a minimum. We would like good food and a place to relax. We are travelling during spring break due to work/day care schedules and I want to avoid a place that is going to attract college kids on spring break.
Lodging: We want to be on the beach or really close. We prefer to stay in a rental versus a resort, but it would be nice if it had a swimming pool, etc. We would like to be close to restaurants and shopping. Walking distance would be ideal.
Concerns: My hubby is not hot on Roatan, but it looks gorgeous. I'm also concerned about food safety and sand fleas. Can anyone comment on this who has been there? Would like a few things to do or see that are not water based in case we get bored after a week on the beach.
I would love to hear advise or feedback from other fodorites. Many thanks!!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 travel ideas mom with 17 16 yr old sons one likes outdoors the other city
- 2 Tom Harper River Cruise Company?
- 3 The "Vacation Problem"
- 4 Baggage Limits
- 5 Please help me find a phone that will work in France
- 6 First time euro traveler, ideas please!
- 7 Travel Tote/Bag (women) for carrying on plane
- 8 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 9 [liiperi] byliiperi 4 days ago 8 days around Almaty region - How to spend?
- 10 VPN and proxy server recommendations
- 11 US dairy vs European Dairy
- 12 Carryon travel to Rome- One gal's packing list in the Spring
- 13 Why Are B&B's So Overrated?
- 14 Where in the world to go in December by myself for 5 days? Select Cities.
- 15 Where is it that's warm, dry and intellectual?
- 16 30th Birthday Trip Ideas!
- 17 About EHIC card?
- 18 London, Amsterdam, Munich, and Barcelona in 17 days?
- 19 Packing Bottles of Gin in Checked Luggage
- 20 Best adventure/trek holiday ideas
- 21 quiet getaways for older women
- 22 Solo female June traveler looking for trip ideas/advice
- 23 Torn between Trips
- 24 Ohhhh where to go next!
- 25 Groupon Getaways