We are looking to travel next spring during Spring Break with our 3yo daughter for 7-10 days. We are looking for a beach vacation and are planning on using miles to travel from Portland, OR. Our daughter thus far has been a good traveller and is used to 6hr long flights, although the one red eye that i did with her was painful. We are looking to travel to Maui, Turks & Caicos or Roatan, Honduras, and need help in choosing a place to travel. Here are some details about us and what we are looking for in a trip:
Us: We like to travel overall. I have always been more adventurous in choosing locations, and my husband gripes but usually ends up loving the places that I choose. We want to relax by a beautiful beach where the currents aren't so strong that our daughter can't wade in the water. We typically like to see and do a few cultural things, but since the arrival of our daughter, long car rides and visits to museums are kept to a minimum. We would like good food and a place to relax. We are travelling during spring break due to work/day care schedules and I want to avoid a place that is going to attract college kids on spring break.
Lodging: We want to be on the beach or really close. We prefer to stay in a rental versus a resort, but it would be nice if it had a swimming pool, etc. We would like to be close to restaurants and shopping. Walking distance would be ideal.
Concerns: My hubby is not hot on Roatan, but it looks gorgeous. I'm also concerned about food safety and sand fleas. Can anyone comment on this who has been there? Would like a few things to do or see that are not water based in case we get bored after a week on the beach.
I would love to hear advise or feedback from other fodorites. Many thanks!!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Amsterdam or Dublin?
- 2 Comfortable shoes that can go to dinner
- 3 Should I go for a GoPro, DSLR or drone?
- 4 Help us pick our 10 year anniversary destination!
- 5 First time traveler
- 6 Go-Pro or Olympus Tough camera
- 7 Mapping tool for multi-mode, multi-destination trip?
- 8 Exploring a City
- 9 Dolomites for 2 days
- 10 May or June trip ideas with 2 adult children
- 11 Drive from SD to Yellowstone
- 12 Travel from Alaska to Chicago by train?
- 13 Footwear / clothing for adventure / exploring
- 14 Looking for a Travel Buddy to Explore More of Eastern Europe and Spain
- 15 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 16 Is it necessary to learn native language of the country, where travelling?
- 17 looking for travel buddy to join kanha national park trip
- 18 Passport Help!!!
- 19 First time travelling outside the USA
- 20 Iceland-Landmannalaugar
- 21 hiking poles in carry on
- 22 Llego a Roma el 21 de febrero...
- 23 Spanish speaking city to spend August 2017?
- 24 11 days in Vietnam - need input on itinerary
- 25 Portland/Seattle/Victoria/Vancouver