We are looking to travel next spring during Spring Break with our 3yo daughter for 7-10 days. We are looking for a beach vacation and are planning on using miles to travel from Portland, OR. Our daughter thus far has been a good traveller and is used to 6hr long flights, although the one red eye that i did with her was painful. We are looking to travel to Maui, Turks & Caicos or Roatan, Honduras, and need help in choosing a place to travel. Here are some details about us and what we are looking for in a trip:
Us: We like to travel overall. I have always been more adventurous in choosing locations, and my husband gripes but usually ends up loving the places that I choose. We want to relax by a beautiful beach where the currents aren't so strong that our daughter can't wade in the water. We typically like to see and do a few cultural things, but since the arrival of our daughter, long car rides and visits to museums are kept to a minimum. We would like good food and a place to relax. We are travelling during spring break due to work/day care schedules and I want to avoid a place that is going to attract college kids on spring break.
Lodging: We want to be on the beach or really close. We prefer to stay in a rental versus a resort, but it would be nice if it had a swimming pool, etc. We would like to be close to restaurants and shopping. Walking distance would be ideal.
Concerns: My hubby is not hot on Roatan, but it looks gorgeous. I'm also concerned about food safety and sand fleas. Can anyone comment on this who has been there? Would like a few things to do or see that are not water based in case we get bored after a week on the beach.
I would love to hear advise or feedback from other fodorites. Many thanks!!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 which train from FCO to Firenze?
- 2 What a fantastic idea
- 3 Indian Summer (Montmorency Falls)
- 4 What is the best time travel during your life?
- 5 Help with choosing guided tour
- 6 Trip ideas for the winter
- 7 Trip inspiration needed
- 8 A Black Bear Blog: Algonquin Park
- 9 I am a newbie backpacker. Please help?
- 10 Is the traditional apple picking trip overrated?
- 11 Honeymoon August 2016
- 12 Ireland to ???
- 13 European chargers, Garmins & phones
- 14 Suggestions on suitcase size/brand
- 15 The Great Canadian Bungee: watch me jump!
- 16 Road trip from PA to NY
- 17 layover time - immigration process
- 18 Sunday Fundayz
- 19 Do you have a camping trip in the autumn
- 20 Barclaycard Arrival MC chip & pin useless in Italy
- 21 When do you start packing your suitcase(s)?
- 22 Year Long Travel
- 23 Packing light challenge
- 24 Reviewing a VRBO villa
- 25 Charter of a yacht