We are looking to travel next spring during Spring Break with our 3yo daughter for 7-10 days. We are looking for a beach vacation and are planning on using miles to travel from Portland, OR. Our daughter thus far has been a good traveller and is used to 6hr long flights, although the one red eye that i did with her was painful. We are looking to travel to Maui, Turks & Caicos or Roatan, Honduras, and need help in choosing a place to travel. Here are some details about us and what we are looking for in a trip:
Us: We like to travel overall. I have always been more adventurous in choosing locations, and my husband gripes but usually ends up loving the places that I choose. We want to relax by a beautiful beach where the currents aren't so strong that our daughter can't wade in the water. We typically like to see and do a few cultural things, but since the arrival of our daughter, long car rides and visits to museums are kept to a minimum. We would like good food and a place to relax. We are travelling during spring break due to work/day care schedules and I want to avoid a place that is going to attract college kids on spring break.
Lodging: We want to be on the beach or really close. We prefer to stay in a rental versus a resort, but it would be nice if it had a swimming pool, etc. We would like to be close to restaurants and shopping. Walking distance would be ideal.
Concerns: My hubby is not hot on Roatan, but it looks gorgeous. I'm also concerned about food safety and sand fleas. Can anyone comment on this who has been there? Would like a few things to do or see that are not water based in case we get bored after a week on the beach.
I would love to hear advise or feedback from other fodorites. Many thanks!!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Need idea for one week trip in late November!!
- 2 Is a month and a half backpack trip around Europe worth leaving a job for?
- 3 Reluctant Solo Traveler
- 4 One bag travel for honeymooners
- 5 Travel Tote/Bag (women) for carrying on plane
- 6 It's buy a bag time. Help!
- 7 Late August Honeymoon Destination Help
- 8 Advanced Beauty Group - Best Country to Visit
- 9 Tom Harper River Cruise Company?
- 10 Malaysia to Thailand and again Malaysia Visit
- 11 Vacation Destinations for a Large Family
- 12 What should my teenage boys wear in August in Italy
- 13 I TRAVEL THE WORLD ALONE
- 14 Where to keep important documents
- 15 Road Trip: - Venice - Florence - Rome
- 16 Last minute tips, specially in Southern Asia
- 17 Road Trip - Memphis, Savannah, and Charleston
- 18 Barclaycard Arrival MC chip & pin useless in Italy
- 19 Holiday to Florida
- 20 Sim Card Advice
- 21 To all of you who are responsible for hotel breakfast buffets!
- 22 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 23 First Timer: Traveling to Amsterdam Need advice
- 24 Minimalistic living for travel
- 25 Rain Boots