We are looking to travel next spring during Spring Break with our 3yo daughter for 7-10 days. We are looking for a beach vacation and are planning on using miles to travel from Portland, OR. Our daughter thus far has been a good traveller and is used to 6hr long flights, although the one red eye that i did with her was painful. We are looking to travel to Maui, Turks & Caicos or Roatan, Honduras, and need help in choosing a place to travel. Here are some details about us and what we are looking for in a trip:
Us: We like to travel overall. I have always been more adventurous in choosing locations, and my husband gripes but usually ends up loving the places that I choose. We want to relax by a beautiful beach where the currents aren't so strong that our daughter can't wade in the water. We typically like to see and do a few cultural things, but since the arrival of our daughter, long car rides and visits to museums are kept to a minimum. We would like good food and a place to relax. We are travelling during spring break due to work/day care schedules and I want to avoid a place that is going to attract college kids on spring break.
Lodging: We want to be on the beach or really close. We prefer to stay in a rental versus a resort, but it would be nice if it had a swimming pool, etc. We would like to be close to restaurants and shopping. Walking distance would be ideal.
Concerns: My hubby is not hot on Roatan, but it looks gorgeous. I'm also concerned about food safety and sand fleas. Can anyone comment on this who has been there? Would like a few things to do or see that are not water based in case we get bored after a week on the beach.
I would love to hear advise or feedback from other fodorites. Many thanks!!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Apps for Solo Travellers?
- 2 Do liquids HAVE to be in a quart size baggie?
- 3 Carryon travel to Rome- One gal's packing list in the Spring
- 4 Beer Prices Around the World!
- 5 Family trip Europe
- 6 Is a month and a half backpack trip around Europe worth leaving a job for?
- 7 Home security while traveling
- 8 More on Phony Reviews
- 9 Advice for a newbie
- 10 Pros & cons of "travel" vests
- 11 Car Rentals in Italy
- 12 Spontaneous solo backpacking trip
- 13 Italy or Napa Valley? Mother daughter duo
- 14 What do you use to save money on travel?
- 15 Ideas February trip
- 16 Help with Itinerary for Trip with Kids to Carmel
- 17 Day bags when traveling
- 18 slippery sleeping bags with mat on slopes
- 19 cell phone adapters in UK and Europe
- 20 Three Week West Coast Road Trip
- 21 Family Road trip Jersey to PEI - Best route 1 overnight
- 22 Roundup of overseas cell phone plan options, or: To SIM or not to SIM?
- 23 Daughter's 30 Bday trip
- 24 Any expierences with Groupon or Living Social travel deals (international)?
- 25 Road Trip: - Venice - Florence - Rome