We are looking to travel next spring during Spring Break with our 3yo daughter for 7-10 days. We are looking for a beach vacation and are planning on using miles to travel from Portland, OR. Our daughter thus far has been a good traveller and is used to 6hr long flights, although the one red eye that i did with her was painful. We are looking to travel to Maui, Turks & Caicos or Roatan, Honduras, and need help in choosing a place to travel. Here are some details about us and what we are looking for in a trip:
Us: We like to travel overall. I have always been more adventurous in choosing locations, and my husband gripes but usually ends up loving the places that I choose. We want to relax by a beautiful beach where the currents aren't so strong that our daughter can't wade in the water. We typically like to see and do a few cultural things, but since the arrival of our daughter, long car rides and visits to museums are kept to a minimum. We would like good food and a place to relax. We are travelling during spring break due to work/day care schedules and I want to avoid a place that is going to attract college kids on spring break.
Lodging: We want to be on the beach or really close. We prefer to stay in a rental versus a resort, but it would be nice if it had a swimming pool, etc. We would like to be close to restaurants and shopping. Walking distance would be ideal.
Concerns: My hubby is not hot on Roatan, but it looks gorgeous. I'm also concerned about food safety and sand fleas. Can anyone comment on this who has been there? Would like a few things to do or see that are not water based in case we get bored after a week on the beach.
I would love to hear advise or feedback from other fodorites. Many thanks!!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Tips for Smart Travelling from house to any palace
- 2 Rhode Island to new hempshire
- 3 Families Summer Travel Tours: Top 10 Destinations
- 4 Tech Help Please
- 5 How to reach Manali from Delhi
- 6 CPAP Distilled Water for Cruise in Hungary
- 7 5 Best travel apps? (open)
- 8 Family trip from London to Greece.
- 9 Bali Or Italy/Greece
- 10 Packing a family of 8 in a minivan for an out of state camping trip
- 11 How to Avoid Pickpockets in Paris
- 12 Husband's 40th Birthday
- 13 Advice for traveling with leg/hip pain
- 14 multi-destinations with multi-type travel
- 15 When to introduce kids to international travel?
- 16 Not quite sure where to go yet...
- 17 South Italy Trip Ideas
- 18 Ipad apps for travel in germany
- 19 Travel Bangkok to Songkhla
- 20 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 21 Daypack Recommendation
- 22 Grand Luxury Hotels
- 23 YQG to PMO on AC with connection in FCO on Alitalia
- 24 Where to go with an infant?
- 25 Retrieving Voice Mail abroad - Help me