I have traveled with companies like Martin Randall, Andante Travel, & ACE, to Italy and Croatia, benefiting from their lecturers who are academics with expertise in art history or archaeology. This has enhanced my travel experience greatly and I’d love to find someone who could provide something similar for an afternoon or two to me and my husband on future travels in Italy (say in Florence, Rome, Venice, Ravenna, Verona, etc). Paris has something like this with Paris Muse (http://www.parismuse.com/) and at Chartres Cathedral, a gentleman who has published guides to the Cathedral and made a life’s work of studying it offers tours (http://www.artagogo.com/commentary/miller/miller.htm).
Does anyone know of an individual or individuals with academic expertise (as opposed to licensed local guides) who might be willing to act as a guide for museums or other sites of local interest in Venice, Florence, Ravenna, Verona, or any other places of special interest to art and history? If not, do you have any ideas on how to learn of such individuals? Thanks very much. Carol
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Smallest Backpack you've used
- 2 Mapping tool for multi-mode, multi-destination trip?
- 3 Footwear / clothing for adventure / exploring
- 4 14 Days SD - VC BC And Back
- 5 Itinerary Planning Apps
- 6 Credit Card Travel Protection insurance - did anyone used it?
- 7 First rv trip
- 8 Amsterdam or Dublin?
- 9 Comfortable shoes that can go to dinner
- 10 Should I go for a GoPro, DSLR or drone?
- 11 Help us pick our 10 year anniversary destination!
- 12 First time traveler
- 13 Go-Pro or Olympus Tough camera
- 14 Exploring a City
- 15 Dolomites for 2 days
- 16 May or June trip ideas with 2 adult children
- 17 Drive from SD to Yellowstone
- 18 Travel from Alaska to Chicago by train?
- 19 Looking for a Travel Buddy to Explore More of Eastern Europe and Spain
- 20 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 21 Is it necessary to learn native language of the country, where travelling?
- 22 looking for travel buddy to join kanha national park trip
- 23 Passport Help!!!
- 24 First time travelling outside the USA
- 25 Iceland-Landmannalaugar