I have traveled with companies like Martin Randall, Andante Travel, & ACE, to Italy and Croatia, benefiting from their lecturers who are academics with expertise in art history or archaeology. This has enhanced my travel experience greatly and I’d love to find someone who could provide something similar for an afternoon or two to me and my husband on future travels in Italy (say in Florence, Rome, Venice, Ravenna, Verona, etc). Paris has something like this with Paris Muse (http://www.parismuse.com/) and at Chartres Cathedral, a gentleman who has published guides to the Cathedral and made a life’s work of studying it offers tours (http://www.artagogo.com/commentary/miller/miller.htm).
Does anyone know of an individual or individuals with academic expertise (as opposed to licensed local guides) who might be willing to act as a guide for museums or other sites of local interest in Venice, Florence, Ravenna, Verona, or any other places of special interest to art and history? If not, do you have any ideas on how to learn of such individuals? Thanks very much. Carol
Italy--How can I find an academic tour guide?
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Traveling long haul for the first time
- 2 New York, Vegas or the Carribean
- 3 Vacation with 1 year old?
- 4 40th Birthday Trip
- 5 First Time Going to Europe - Ideas?
- 6 Where to go in February/March
- 7 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 8 mid December honeymoon in Europe
- 9 Waterproof spray
- 10 https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JBCJJHY
- 11 Honeymoon
- 12 Are these shoes too American looking?
- 13 Half Moon Bay, CA - stay there or go to Napa Valley?
- 14 Where to go over New Years?
- 15 Most Exotic and Adventurous Trip Possible
- 16 Help finding a beach resort w/ nightlife for a young couple!
- 17 my travel ignorance
- 18 Your favorite USA car rental company
- 19 Your Best Travel Tips
- 20 Northern Lights
- 21 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 22 Road trip along the east coast with tween & teen
- 23 First Trip To Japan and South Korea Solo!
- 24 Travel Insurance or not
- 25 Duffel size needed for 33lb limit