I have traveled with companies like Martin Randall, Andante Travel, & ACE, to Italy and Croatia, benefiting from their lecturers who are academics with expertise in art history or archaeology. This has enhanced my travel experience greatly and I’d love to find someone who could provide something similar for an afternoon or two to me and my husband on future travels in Italy (say in Florence, Rome, Venice, Ravenna, Verona, etc). Paris has something like this with Paris Muse (http://www.parismuse.com/) and at Chartres Cathedral, a gentleman who has published guides to the Cathedral and made a life’s work of studying it offers tours (http://www.artagogo.com/commentary/miller/miller.htm).
Does anyone know of an individual or individuals with academic expertise (as opposed to licensed local guides) who might be willing to act as a guide for museums or other sites of local interest in Venice, Florence, Ravenna, Verona, or any other places of special interest to art and history? If not, do you have any ideas on how to learn of such individuals? Thanks very much. Carol
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Is a month and a half backpack trip around Europe worth leaving a job for?
- 2 Reluctant Solo Traveler
- 3 One bag travel for honeymooners
- 4 Travel Tote/Bag (women) for carrying on plane
- 5 It's buy a bag time. Help!
- 6 Late August Honeymoon Destination Help
- 7 Advanced Beauty Group - Best Country to Visit
- 8 Tom Harper River Cruise Company?
- 9 Malaysia to Thailand and again Malaysia Visit
- 10 Vacation Destinations for a Large Family
- 11 What should my teenage boys wear in August in Italy
- 12 I TRAVEL THE WORLD ALONE
- 13 Where to keep important documents
- 14 Road Trip: - Venice - Florence - Rome
- 15 Last minute tips, specially in Southern Asia
- 16 Road Trip - Memphis, Savannah, and Charleston
- 17 Barclaycard Arrival MC chip & pin useless in Italy
- 18 Holiday to Florida
- 19 Sim Card Advice
- 20 To all of you who are responsible for hotel breakfast buffets!
- 21 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 22 First Timer: Traveling to Amsterdam Need advice
- 23 Minimalistic living for travel
- 24 Rain Boots
- 25 Schengen Visa