I have traveled with companies like Martin Randall, Andante Travel, & ACE, to Italy and Croatia, benefiting from their lecturers who are academics with expertise in art history or archaeology. This has enhanced my travel experience greatly and I’d love to find someone who could provide something similar for an afternoon or two to me and my husband on future travels in Italy (say in Florence, Rome, Venice, Ravenna, Verona, etc). Paris has something like this with Paris Muse (http://www.parismuse.com/) and at Chartres Cathedral, a gentleman who has published guides to the Cathedral and made a life’s work of studying it offers tours (http://www.artagogo.com/commentary/miller/miller.htm).
Does anyone know of an individual or individuals with academic expertise (as opposed to licensed local guides) who might be willing to act as a guide for museums or other sites of local interest in Venice, Florence, Ravenna, Verona, or any other places of special interest to art and history? If not, do you have any ideas on how to learn of such individuals? Thanks very much. Carol
Italy--How can I find an academic tour guide?
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Need packing tips: 24 days in Japan
- 2 Hotel bidding site recommendations.
- 3 10-14 days BKK, Udon Thani & Beach with kids
- 4 Winter Roadside Emergency Kit
- 5 $950,000 travel insurance mistake
- 6 Phone service
- 7 Does anyone have the Sparrow bag I read about in Sunday's LA Times?
- 8 Barclaycard Arrival MC chip & pin useless in Italy
- 9 10 Days of travel help!
- 10 Noise Cancelling Headphones
- 11 Travel Tote/Bag (women) for carrying on plane
- 12 Travel Agency Review for Trip to Spain
- 13 NEED URGENT DESTINATION ADVICE!
- 14 What's stopping you from traveling more?
- 15 Group Tours for 30 somethings
- 16 French gastronomy
- 17 Thailand, Laos, Cambodia
- 18 Looking for a hat to wear in the rainforest
- 19 Re-checking bag after a layover.
- 20 Best places to start...
- 21 25th wedding anniv travel
- 22 Where in the World Should We Go?
- 23 Friends Seeking Advice
- 24 December travel - where to go?
- 25 Travel health insurance