I have traveled with companies like Martin Randall, Andante Travel, & ACE, to Italy and Croatia, benefiting from their lecturers who are academics with expertise in art history or archaeology. This has enhanced my travel experience greatly and I’d love to find someone who could provide something similar for an afternoon or two to me and my husband on future travels in Italy (say in Florence, Rome, Venice, Ravenna, Verona, etc). Paris has something like this with Paris Muse (http://www.parismuse.com/) and at Chartres Cathedral, a gentleman who has published guides to the Cathedral and made a life’s work of studying it offers tours (http://www.artagogo.com/commentary/miller/miller.htm).
Does anyone know of an individual or individuals with academic expertise (as opposed to licensed local guides) who might be willing to act as a guide for museums or other sites of local interest in Venice, Florence, Ravenna, Verona, or any other places of special interest to art and history? If not, do you have any ideas on how to learn of such individuals? Thanks very much. Carol
Italy--How can I find an academic tour guide?
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Honeymoon on a budget leaving Perth, Australia
- 2 Beach trip...florida or caribbean island in mid march
- 3 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 4 Ideas for mid winter solo trip someplace warm or cold, but fun!!
- 5 finding last minute packages
- 6 trip ideas in May...
- 7 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 8 Package to Paris, Flight Not Included. 2 Travel Insurance Policies Needed?
- 9 Scotland
- 10 Car Rentals are expensive!
- 11 Goin' solo...nothing like it! (A trip report collection)
- 12 Moving from DC to Texas
- 13 Japan vs. California vs. Hawaii
- 14 First solo travel adventure! Please help!
- 15 Looking for a hat to wear in the rainforest
- 16 Your favorite, toddler-friendly international destination???
- 17 Travel Tote to attach to rolling bag
- 18 First Solo Trip in my 20s
- 19 Travel Resolutions: Do You Have Any For 2015?
- 20 Best ways to get around when you can't rent a car?
- 21 Which luggage scales?
- 22 Need suggestions for solo trip (2-3 weeks, next May)
- 23 3week honeymoon in Europe- Spain-France-Italy
- 24 Train or City Hopping? Your thoughts?
- 25 BEWARE of Grand Circle Travel SCAMS!!!