I have traveled with companies like Martin Randall, Andante Travel, & ACE, to Italy and Croatia, benefiting from their lecturers who are academics with expertise in art history or archaeology. This has enhanced my travel experience greatly and I’d love to find someone who could provide something similar for an afternoon or two to me and my husband on future travels in Italy (say in Florence, Rome, Venice, Ravenna, Verona, etc). Paris has something like this with Paris Muse (http://www.parismuse.com/) and at Chartres Cathedral, a gentleman who has published guides to the Cathedral and made a life’s work of studying it offers tours (http://www.artagogo.com/commentary/miller/miller.htm).
Does anyone know of an individual or individuals with academic expertise (as opposed to licensed local guides) who might be willing to act as a guide for museums or other sites of local interest in Venice, Florence, Ravenna, Verona, or any other places of special interest to art and history? If not, do you have any ideas on how to learn of such individuals? Thanks very much. Carol
Italy--How can I find an academic tour guide?
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Baggage
- 2 Torn between Trips
- 3 Travel Tote/Bag (women) for carrying on plane
- 4 40th birthday trip with my husband
- 5 Will pollution wreck my Beijing dreams ?
- 6 BEWARE of Grand Circle Travel SCAMS!!!
- 7 Money belts, neck wallets, etc.
- 8 Saying hello to all the disc golf playing travelers!
- 9 50th birthday in January destination
- 10 Where in the world to go in December by myself for 5 days? Select Cities.
- 11 Banks that do not charge foreign ATM fees
- 12 Discounted luggage websites
- 13 Wannabe female solo traveler seeking reassurance
- 14 Beer Prices Around the World!
- 15 Solo female June traveler looking for trip ideas/advice
- 16 Carrying a smartphone
- 17 Bad recommendation on Super shuttle Paris
- 18 Advice about a cycling holiday
- 19 Best Time to Purchase Flights
- 20 22 hours layover in London Heathrow
- 21 Groupon Getaways
- 22 Rain Boots
- 23 Travel Books for Kids?
- 24 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 25 Ideas for 40th Birthday