I have traveled with companies like Martin Randall, Andante Travel, & ACE, to Italy and Croatia, benefiting from their lecturers who are academics with expertise in art history or archaeology. This has enhanced my travel experience greatly and I’d love to find someone who could provide something similar for an afternoon or two to me and my husband on future travels in Italy (say in Florence, Rome, Venice, Ravenna, Verona, etc). Paris has something like this with Paris Muse (http://www.parismuse.com/) and at Chartres Cathedral, a gentleman who has published guides to the Cathedral and made a life’s work of studying it offers tours (http://www.artagogo.com/commentary/miller/miller.htm).
Does anyone know of an individual or individuals with academic expertise (as opposed to licensed local guides) who might be willing to act as a guide for museums or other sites of local interest in Venice, Florence, Ravenna, Verona, or any other places of special interest to art and history? If not, do you have any ideas on how to learn of such individuals? Thanks very much. Carol
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 How do you organize your trip options such as restaurants and sights?
- 2 Why Are B&B's So Overrated?
- 3 Iguazu vs Victoria falls
- 4 What to pack for that trip
- 5 Road trip Vegas to Seattle
- 6 New Convertible Bag for Teen?
- 7 Travel to London/Paris/Rome
- 8 Trip with friend
- 9 September Whim
- 10 advise for trip to Paris, Nice, Switzerland and Milan
- 11 Two weeks to make a decision where to travel...
- 12 Trip Ideas for Senior Parents
- 13 Mountain Honeymoon Destination
- 14 Why Do A Cycling Tour?: A review of various tour companies and general tips
- 15 Lightweight carry-on that will meet Lufthansa's strict requirements?
- 16 honeymoon croatia and italy
- 17 My inbox is a total mess after 3 weeks trekking. Solutions?
- 18 Globus...Yay or nay?
- 19 40th birthday
- 20 Tom Harper River Cruise Company?
- 21 Must Haves in a travel kit. Battle of the sexes !
- 22 Packing vs Shipping when moving abroad
- 23 Need a little advice on newbie traveling overseas
- 24 Winter travel for different age groups
- 25 Lost my mojo planning a trip with a 6 month old - help!