I have traveled with companies like Martin Randall, Andante Travel, & ACE, to Italy and Croatia, benefiting from their lecturers who are academics with expertise in art history or archaeology. This has enhanced my travel experience greatly and I’d love to find someone who could provide something similar for an afternoon or two to me and my husband on future travels in Italy (say in Florence, Rome, Venice, Ravenna, Verona, etc). Paris has something like this with Paris Muse (http://www.parismuse.com/) and at Chartres Cathedral, a gentleman who has published guides to the Cathedral and made a life’s work of studying it offers tours (http://www.artagogo.com/commentary/miller/miller.htm).
Does anyone know of an individual or individuals with academic expertise (as opposed to licensed local guides) who might be willing to act as a guide for museums or other sites of local interest in Venice, Florence, Ravenna, Verona, or any other places of special interest to art and history? If not, do you have any ideas on how to learn of such individuals? Thanks very much. Carol
Italy--How can I find an academic tour guide?
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Going to Costa Rica
- 2 Noise Cancelling Headphones
- 3 Looking for reviews of Great Value Vacations
- 4 India food Tours
- 5 Thanksgiving week trip
- 6 VPN? Witopia? If so, which?
- 7 Air B&B
- 8 Single supplements
- 9 Has anyone used Autoslash?
- 10 Discounted luggage websites
- 11 Should I book through Luxury Link?
- 12 Could I fit all this into a 3 week road trip?
- 13 Travel eruope early November this year
- 14 Group Tours for 30 somethings
- 15 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 16 Traveling long haul for the first time
- 17 Where would you go if you were us?
- 18 Anniversary trip
- 19 Shoes for round the world trip - suitable for hiking and running?
- 20 Help? Where to go with an 18 year old boy?
- 21 A Killer Whale Spectacle in Nice
- 22 Online Visas
- 23 Traveling with a smartphone
- 24 Learning vacations
- 25 Goin' solo...nothing like it! (A trip report collection)