I have traveled with companies like Martin Randall, Andante Travel, & ACE, to Italy and Croatia, benefiting from their lecturers who are academics with expertise in art history or archaeology. This has enhanced my travel experience greatly and I’d love to find someone who could provide something similar for an afternoon or two to me and my husband on future travels in Italy (say in Florence, Rome, Venice, Ravenna, Verona, etc). Paris has something like this with Paris Muse (http://www.parismuse.com/) and at Chartres Cathedral, a gentleman who has published guides to the Cathedral and made a life’s work of studying it offers tours (http://www.artagogo.com/commentary/miller/miller.htm).
Does anyone know of an individual or individuals with academic expertise (as opposed to licensed local guides) who might be willing to act as a guide for museums or other sites of local interest in Venice, Florence, Ravenna, Verona, or any other places of special interest to art and history? If not, do you have any ideas on how to learn of such individuals? Thanks very much. Carol
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Family of 3-month long trip
- 2 US (Road or Air) Trip Ideas for December
- 3 Ideas for a Christmas Trip
- 4 What makes flying first class worth it?
- 5 Credit Card Travel Protection insurance - did anyone used it?
- 6 10 Days in Greece @ End of June
- 7 Travel Tips in the Philippines
- 8 Ask for advices for 10 days trip in Southeast Asia
- 9 What is the most important stuff when you are travelling?
- 10 Mishap and Adventure studying English in Malta
- 11 7-10 day trip ideas with kid/teen
- 12 suggestions about noise cancelling earphone
- 13 Carryon travel to Rome- One gal's packing list in the Spring
- 14 Early trip planning
- 15 Something different for family of 6
- 16 Amtrak's AutoTrain - yes or no?
- 17 Best site for last minute travel packages?
- 18 Europe or Asia??? Best Honeymoon destination in February
- 19 Help for my wife's 40th with her best friends
- 20 Where oh where are we going to go?
- 21 Late December, early January travel
- 22 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 23 Is it necessary to learn native language of the country, where travelling?
- 24 Nice, France
- 25 Finding deals based on departure location