Detail-oriented frequent traveler here. There's an excellent packing list posted on this forum, adding my list of what to do to prepare for a trip.
Additional information, hyperlinks to resources and a printable pdf available here: http://bit.ly/15Eic8H
11 MONTHS OUT
□ Book international flights, if using frequent flyer miles
□ Claim your seat, if allowed
6 TO 11 MONTHS OUT
□ Book international flights if not using miles
□ Book hotels. The best ones fill quickly
2 TO 6 MONTHS OUT
□ Order your passport and visa, if necessary
□ Obtain vaccinations and medications (some vaccinations are administered in a series and must be initiated months in advance)
□ Book your in-country/in-continent destination-to-destination flights
□ Book a driver, if appropriate
□ Schedule your petsitter or nanny (their schedule may fill-up quickly during holidays)
□ Make restaurant reservations
ONE MONTH OUT
□ Order a hard copy map of your destination at Amazon and/or upload city/country specific apps
□ Confirm flight, ground transportation, accommodation and restaurant arrangements and reservations
□ If you’ve booked through a travel consolidator, verify your reservation directly with your hotel
□ Book tickets to major attractions online
□ Request certificates for hotels booked with points, if necessary
ONE WEEK OUT
□ Purchase trip insurance, if appropriate
□ Ensure you have the correct converter adapter for the country(ies) you’ll visit
□ Scan your vital passport pages and email the file to yourself and one or two contacts. Print a copy to store in your checked bag
□ Organize your itinerary; email the document to yourself and one or two contacts.
□ Buy snacks (I don’t travel anywhere without KIND bars and nuts)
□ Notify your credit card companies that you will be traveling to a foreign country
□ Withdraw cash
□ Confirm arrangements with petsitters, nannies, housesitters, post offices, newspaper delivery, etc.
□ Obtain an international driver’s license if you will be renting a car abroad (go to the American Automobile Association for a list of locations to obtain a license). (By the way, you still need to bring your state-issued driver’s license)
□ Register your trip with the U.S. Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. Recording information on your trip allows the Department of State to assist you in case of an emergency and provide travel updates
□ Plot places that you want to visit (stores, restaurants, museums, etc.) on your hard-copy map
□ Determine your communication strategyTWO NIGHTS OUT
TWO NIGHTS OUT
□ Notify trusted neighbors of your trip
□ Download plenty of podcasts, books, movies and songs
□ Get a manicure, pedicure, wax, shave, tan, take a laxative, etc.
□ Begin Malarone if you’ll be entering a mosquito zone in the next two days
□ Prepare at work
ONE NIGHT OUT
□ Double-check what you’ve packed against your packing checklist
□ Call your airlines (or look them up online) to confirm the status of your flight(s) and know your departure terminal. If you can book your seat only 24 hours out, claim your seat. Check in
□ Order a taxi to the airport, if appropriate
□ Remove and secure unnecessary items (excess credit cards, bank cards, etc.) from your wallet
□ Lock-up valuables (jewelry, credit cards, checkbooks, keys you don’t need to carry, etc.) if people will enter your premises while you are away
□ Charge your electronics
□ Water plants, fill pet food and water bowls
□ Tag your luggage
□ Set your alarm. Double-check it
□ Leave out instructions and payment for petsitters, housesitters
DAY OF TRAVEL
□ Make mental notes when you turn off your appliances and lock your doors so you don’t drive yourself crazy wondering if you did it later
□ Adjust your thermostat
□ Close blinds, shades, etc.
□ Keep your keys and medications in your carry-on!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Packing List for School Trip to Italy (Feedback please?)
- 2 Does anyone else travel with bed sheets
- 3 Anybody tells me about best destination in the Hawai?
- 4 Too old maybe?
- 5 Visit to Northern California
- 6 Footing the bill for a family trip
- 7 Looking for suggestions for taking photos.
- 8 Traveling to Niagara Falls-HELP ME!
- 9 What is the best time travel during your life?
- 10 Autism/Disability Travel
- 11 Travel idea for a 1 year old
- 12 Carryon travel to Rome- One gal's packing list in the Spring
- 13 When do you start packing your suitcase(s)?
- 14 Traveling with Kids - Suggestions for Planner/Scrapbook to BRING on Trip
- 15 3-4 day weekend getaway for group
- 16 Looking for suggestions for summer vacay
- 17 Pedometer for Kids
- 18 Road trip from San Diego to Atlanta
- 19 Your Top 5 travel iPad Apps
- 20 Won a trip to anywhere in the world + hotel... where should I go!?
- 21 Honeymoon help Seattle to San Diago
- 22 1 week mother-son trip in August. Where?
- 23 Nova Scotia and PEI
- 24 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 25 Need Advice about Ticket Price Drop