My wife and I are planing a trip to Madrid-Andalucia.
Arriving to Madrid on Sept 20 and leaving from Madrid on Oct 4 (14 FULL days in Southern Spain).
We are in our late 40s and appreciate to mingle with the locals, discover authentic food, places, culture (e.g., I would love to have a suggestion for authentic Flamenco tabernas or restos), trying to avoid as much as we can the "tourism" hoopla, although, the reason of our trip is to visit some of those marvelous sites such as the Alhambra and the Mezquita in Cordoba.
One of us speaks Spanish fairly well.
We are renting a car throughout the whole trip and Madrid happened to be just a convenient start-end point (although our agent failed to suggest the flight back from Malaga which would have been more convenient) where we intend to STAY 2 nights at the beginning of the trip.
I would like to probe your ideas about our itinerary and get suggestions for nice places to stay and eat (we are covering the cultural aspect fairly well, I think, although if there is an absolute must-see aside from the known ones, I would appreciate to hear from the connaisseurs - about churches, castles, architecture, museums, fairs, folk culture).
As far as hotels and restaurants, we LOVE having the quaint places, not crowded, with a character (who does not ) and authentic, the ones that the locals appreciate. We are thinking of staying at least 1 night in a parador, but do not know if it is worth doing so and if there is one which is worthwhile and recommended on our itinerary.
We rather stay in charming B&B or small places (vs. big chain hotels) as we have had nice experiences in Portugal several years back with such impromptu living accommodations, without having made any pre-reservations.
Finally, our tentative itinerary.
I would appreciate all the help in this and in accommodations suggestions (especially in Madrid). I know that the car can be a burden (parking), so hotel suggestions might take into consideration this factor.
** Sept 20-21 Madrid - 2 nights - and 2 full days in MADRID
** Sept 22 Madrid-Toledo - 1 night - a full day in TOLEDO ?
** Sept 23-24 Toledo-Cordoba - 2 nights - 1 1/2 days in CORDOBA
** Sept 25-26 Cordoba-Sevilla - 2 nights - 1 1/2 - 2 days in SEVILLA
** Sept 27-28 Sevilla-Ronda - 2 nights - 2 1/2 days in RONDA and surroundings (Arcos, Jerez, Cadiz, Grazelma, etc.)
** Sept 29 Ronda-Malaga - 1 night - 1/2 day in MALAGA
** Sept 30-Oct 1 Malaga-Granada - 2 nights - 2 days in GRANADA and on route from the Costa del Sol (Nerja, other ??)
** Oct 2 Granada-Jaen, Baeza, Ubeda - 1 night - 1 - 1 1/2 days in these towns
** Oct 3 Back to Madrid - 1 night
Does this sound logical and feasible?
Should I leave out some cities so we don't have a hectic schedule?
Thank you for all the help.
Muchas gracias por todas las sugerencias en espanol tambien.
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Footing the bill for a family trip
- 2 Too old maybe?
- 3 Packing List for School Trip to Italy (Feedback please?)
- 4 Traveling to Niagara Falls-HELP ME!
- 5 Does anyone else travel with bed sheets
- 6 What is the best time travel during your life?
- 7 Autism/Disability Travel
- 8 Travel idea for a 1 year old
- 9 Carryon travel to Rome- One gal's packing list in the Spring
- 10 When do you start packing your suitcase(s)?
- 11 Anybody tells me about best destination in the Hawai?
- 12 Traveling with Kids - Suggestions for Planner/Scrapbook to BRING on Trip
- 13 3-4 day weekend getaway for group
- 14 Looking for suggestions for summer vacay
- 15 Pedometer for Kids
- 16 Road trip from San Diego to Atlanta
- 17 Your Top 5 travel iPad Apps
- 18 Won a trip to anywhere in the world + hotel... where should I go!?
- 19 Honeymoon help Seattle to San Diago
- 20 1 week mother-son trip in August. Where?
- 21 Nova Scotia and PEI
- 22 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 23 Need Advice about Ticket Price Drop
- 24 Group Tours for 30 somethings
- 25 Looking for suggestions for taking photos.