My wife and I are planing a trip to Madrid-Andalucia.
Arriving to Madrid on Sept 20 and leaving from Madrid on Oct 4 (14 FULL days in Southern Spain).
We are in our late 40s and appreciate to mingle with the locals, discover authentic food, places, culture (e.g., I would love to have a suggestion for authentic Flamenco tabernas or restos), trying to avoid as much as we can the "tourism" hoopla, although, the reason of our trip is to visit some of those marvelous sites such as the Alhambra and the Mezquita in Cordoba.
One of us speaks Spanish fairly well.
We are renting a car throughout the whole trip and Madrid happened to be just a convenient start-end point (although our agent failed to suggest the flight back from Malaga which would have been more convenient) where we intend to STAY 2 nights at the beginning of the trip.
I would like to probe your ideas about our itinerary and get suggestions for nice places to stay and eat (we are covering the cultural aspect fairly well, I think, although if there is an absolute must-see aside from the known ones, I would appreciate to hear from the connaisseurs - about churches, castles, architecture, museums, fairs, folk culture).
As far as hotels and restaurants, we LOVE having the quaint places, not crowded, with a character (who does not ) and authentic, the ones that the locals appreciate. We are thinking of staying at least 1 night in a parador, but do not know if it is worth doing so and if there is one which is worthwhile and recommended on our itinerary.
We rather stay in charming B&B or small places (vs. big chain hotels) as we have had nice experiences in Portugal several years back with such impromptu living accommodations, without having made any pre-reservations.
Finally, our tentative itinerary.
I would appreciate all the help in this and in accommodations suggestions (especially in Madrid). I know that the car can be a burden (parking), so hotel suggestions might take into consideration this factor.
** Sept 20-21 Madrid - 2 nights - and 2 full days in MADRID
** Sept 22 Madrid-Toledo - 1 night - a full day in TOLEDO ?
** Sept 23-24 Toledo-Cordoba - 2 nights - 1 1/2 days in CORDOBA
** Sept 25-26 Cordoba-Sevilla - 2 nights - 1 1/2 - 2 days in SEVILLA
** Sept 27-28 Sevilla-Ronda - 2 nights - 2 1/2 days in RONDA and surroundings (Arcos, Jerez, Cadiz, Grazelma, etc.)
** Sept 29 Ronda-Malaga - 1 night - 1/2 day in MALAGA
** Sept 30-Oct 1 Malaga-Granada - 2 nights - 2 days in GRANADA and on route from the Costa del Sol (Nerja, other ??)
** Oct 2 Granada-Jaen, Baeza, Ubeda - 1 night - 1 - 1 1/2 days in these towns
** Oct 3 Back to Madrid - 1 night
Does this sound logical and feasible?
Should I leave out some cities so we don't have a hectic schedule?
Thank you for all the help.
Muchas gracias por todas las sugerencias en espanol tambien.
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 European chargers, Garmins & phones
- 2 Best Hostels
- 3 Some tips when using Air BnB
- 4 What's your favourite beauty/grooming tip when travelling?
- 5 garment travel organizer
- 6 replace my Nikon d90 by rx100 ?
- 7 best travel app (android or Apple)
- 8 Road Trip For Two
- 9 Estes Park to Lexington, KY
- 10 Copper Canyon
- 11 Travel through Expedia
- 12 Autoeurope car location...questions !
- 13 Goin' solo...nothing like it! (A trip report collection)
- 14 Round the World
- 15 Misleading third party websites
- 16 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 17 Travel ideas near spring break?
- 18 Looking for nature sights - Driving from Nashville TN - Greenville SC
- 19 Best place for a solo traveler to find a travel partner
- 20 vegas to slc loop
- 21 Driving with my 10 year old from jersey shore to Panama City
- 22 barbados or tulum
- 23 resort with wild life on ground
- 24 Want great trip ideas? Attend a travel show!
- 25 Oregon coast trip destination advise please