Just wanted to share my story with all of you. I went to Munich back in Oct of this year, departing from Toronto. I arrived very early, and made it through multiple security checks and had a coffee beside my boarding gate. After a while, I was bored so I went through the contents of my purse, and looked at my passport. To my horror, I was staring at my MOM'S photo and not my own!!!! At that point, my heart literally stopped beating; I was in shock. I closed my passport, and opened it again slowly...and stared at my mom's face again. I guess that I was not a careful packer, and I had grabbed my mom's passport instead of my own. I panicked and talked to an airport staff member beside me. I asked her if there is any way I can still board the plane (at this point, there was only one hour left before takeoff). She told me that even if I make it out of Canada, there is no way I can come back from Germany using my mom's passport. She kindly lent me her cell phone, and I called my parents, who happened to be home at that time (Thank God!!!). They told me they would drive to the airport ASAP to give me my passport. I ran out into the departure area again, and after a nerve wrecking 30 minute wait, my parents finally arrived and gave me my passport. I went through all the security checks and sprinted to my boarding gate, and made it for my flight....just in time.
I think this shows that the airport staff is VERY careless and isn't doing a good job at all. I went through not one, but multiple security checkpoints with my passport. I think it is quite obvious that I am not my mom because
1. I am 24, she is 56!!! (at least I hope I don't look 56 lol)
2. Her name is way longer than mine, with tons of middle names. She has her maiden name too.
3. her passport photo shows her with a boycut. I have long wavy hair and I wear glasses too. We look nothing alike!!!!
Other than the airport staff member who lent me her cell phone, the other staff members were not very helpful. e.g. they told me they cannot call my boarding gate for me to tell them I am late, because 'they don't know the number.'
Anyway, I have learned my lesson and will be very careful from now on. However, I think it would have been helpful if someone had noticed my passport mistake BEFORE I checked in, then I could have called my parents way in advance instead of rushing last minute.
almost boarded plane w/ my mom's passport!!!!
Recent ActivityView all Travel Tips & Trip Ideas activity »
- 1 Packing Help - What to take
- 2 Jacket with pockets
- 3 2 Week Trip for Newleywed's - Adventure and Beach
- 4 Visa expiration and re entry
- 5 Your Top 5 travel iPad Apps
- 6 What are the best wlking shoes for in city travel?
- 7 Trip suggestions for 3-5 day vacation from New Orleans?
- 8 Travel pants for women - advice needed for Europe trip (soon!)
- 9 Dual time zone watches
- 10 Rovia booking engine
- 11 Places to travel in June or July
- 12 Escorted Travel Agency?
- 13 30th Birthday Girls Trip
- 14 Website for good hotel rates?
- 15 Famous Places to Visit in Paris?
- 16 What color nail polish in France
- 17 Travel Clothing
- 18 advance single 1st class rail travel with virgin trains
- 19 Why Do People Bother With Tripadvisor?
- 20 Where to go - Mexico, Dominican Republic, Cuba or Cape Verde???
- 21 Looking for travel app (iOS) to map my custom walking tour...
- 22 AVIS' car rental Dirty Tricks
- 23 Getting a Second Passport
- 24 Priceline.com "Best Price guaranteed"scam
- 25 Suggestions for a trip?