I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Brief Notes on a February in Ecuador
- 2 Trip Report Ecuador
- 3 10 days - Rio/Iguazu and...?
- 4 Chile, Ecuadoror Columbia
- 5 Is 8 days too much time in Buenos Aires
- 6 Cusco and Machu Picchu
- 7 Travel to Peru in 2 weeks
- 8 H Stern Jewelers, Brazil
- 9 Welltravbrit's Colombia - Statues, Tombs, and Carnaval!
- 10 Travel in Chile- Itinerary advice please
- 11 Santiago > Valparaiso: worth driving?
- 12 zika to cancel or not to cancel
- 13 Horseback riding Peru Cusco - Machu Picchu Ranch El Chalan - Urubamba
- 14 Driving tips and suggestions for Torres del Paine
- 15 First Time In South America Itinerary
- 16 HELP-- Argentina in March
- 17 3 Days/2 Night Treks to Machu Picchu
- 18 Galapagos Add Ons
- 19 Itinerary - Peru, Bolivia, Argentina Query
- 20 The Travel Cartel Go to Colombia
- 21 Trip Report..Bolivia (Titikaka, La Paz, Uyuni, Potosi, Sucre) Nov. 2011
- 22 Day trips from Montevideo
- 23 some practical tips for Buenos Aires and day trips
- 24 Help with 3 Week Itinerary
- 25 2 Weeks in South America- Need advice