I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
woman solo traveling Colombia
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Trip Report - Very Long
- 2 Rio, Ouro Preto and Inhotim trip report
- 3 Peru and Brazil: A South American Adventure
- 4 Amazon lodges or cruises
- 5 Senior Citizen's wonderful trip to Sacred Valley thanks to Great Tour Guide
- 6 Tupiza to Tilcara
- 7 Pisco Dreams; Nine Days in the Sacred Valley, Cusco and Lima
- 8 Wet suits in Galapagos
- 9 8 Days in Peru
- 10 Hostels in Oruro during Carnaval?
- 11 Travel with my boyfriend of 4 years to Brazil!
- 12 Anniversary of 9/11/01
- 13 2 weeks Ecuador, no car, flying to Guayaquil, most accessible places to go?
- 14 Transportation in Ecuador
- 15 NW of Argentina
- 16 adventure tour on the Amazon
- 17 Amazon Rainforest Indigenous Peoples
- 18 Ten days in Ecuador
- 19 amazon jungle trips
- 20 Trip report/blog - Machu Picchu and the Amazon Rainforest
- 21 Urgent Help Required Regarding International Transit Through Brazil.
- 22 Lost andean immigration card for Ecuador - problem on exit?
- 23 Dollars, sols or credit cards in Peru?
- 24 Peru versus Bolivia
- 25 Need advise for Argentina and surrounding areas in May??