I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
woman solo traveling Colombia
- 1 Carribean to Argentina or Uruguay
- 2 Bus from Punta Arenas to Puerto Natales - ticket advice
- 3 8 Days in Brazil
- 4 Brazil - Rio to Sao Paulo
- 5 Practical to combine Amazon + beaches with visit to the Guianas?
- 6 Celebrating A Century Of Flight
- 7 Problems with emails USA-Brazil
- 8 how to get to San Pedro de Atacama, Chile
- 9 Need Help with Itinerary (2.5 Months) (Indian Passport)
- 10 Flight and Lodging in Manaus and Rio
- 11 Where to celebrate the New Year ?
- 12 To Buenos Aires and beyond
- 13 Lower savings with the "blue" exchange rate?
- 14 Peru Hop?
- 15 3 days before Cuzco/Machu Picchu - what to do, where to go
- 16 "Up to" 40% discount on LAN flights around South America today only
- 17 Uruguay Re-Do
- 18 Montevideo, Uruguay
- 19 60 Hours in Buenos Aires: Blue Dollar Heaven
- 20 More suggested reading
- 21 Please help me jump-start planning for Galapagos trip
- 22 Peru Best Tours: Buyers Beware
- 23 Bariloche over XMas
- 24 Quark Expeditions 50% off sale - Antarctica 2014
- 25 Traveling with a Computer?