I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 2 weeks trip
- 2 semi weird question re Peru Currency
- 3 Bus travel between El Chalten and El Calafate
- 4 10 Nights in Central Chile and on Rapa Nui
- 5 Where to stay in Bariloche
- 6 WEBJET
- 7 Iguazu and Iguaçu
- 8 Good women's hairgresser in Santiago?
- 9 Itineraries
- 10 Pantanal Lodges
- 11 Torres Del Paine Hiking - No Refugios
- 12 3 weeks in South America
- 13 Soles in Lima,Peru
- 14 Buenos Aires Hotels for 4 nights in early November
- 15 Ecuador, Panama, or Costa Rica
- 16 Chile wine tour
- 17 Which Amazon area/lodge in Peru?
- 18 Aerolineas "Visit Argentina" discounted airline pass
- 19 Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado?
- 20 How to count hotel floors in Ecuador?
- 21 Ceviche in Peru or Ecuador?
- 22 Travel Buddies for the Salar de Uyuni in September 2017
- 23 Help planning trip to Chile (Patagonia and Lakes District) in late October
- 24 Travel to Salta/Jujuy
- 25 My June '14 Peru Trip