I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 zika to cancel or not to cancel
- 2 Brief Notes on a February in Ecuador
- 3 Welltravbrit's Colombia - Statues, Tombs, and Carnaval!
- 4 3 Days/2 Night Treks to Machu Picchu
- 5 Galapagos Add Ons
- 6 First Time In South America Itinerary
- 7 Itinerary - Peru, Bolivia, Argentina Query
- 8 The Travel Cartel Go to Colombia
- 9 Trip Report Ecuador
- 10 Chile, Ecuadoror Columbia
- 11 Santiago > Valparaiso: worth driving?
- 12 Trip Report..Bolivia (Titikaka, La Paz, Uyuni, Potosi, Sucre) Nov. 2011
- 13 Day trips from Montevideo
- 14 H Stern Jewelers, Brazil
- 15 some practical tips for Buenos Aires and day trips
- 16 Driving tips and suggestions for Torres del Paine
- 17 Help with 3 Week Itinerary
- 18 2 Weeks in South America- Need advice
- 19 Itinerary help - Argentina and....?
- 20 Ecuador, Places to shop
- 21 Only one day in Quito recommendations.
- 22 Sacred Valley/Inca Trail April 2015 Trip Report
- 23 Booking the Grey Glacier Boat Tour
- 24 Volunteering in South America, maybe Peru?
- 25 Atacama and ????