I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Punta Arenas or Puerto Natales?
- 2 Grey Glacier in Patagonia, Chile
- 3 please help with Argentine Patagonia planning
- 4 Chile/Patagonia/Torres del Paine/Valparaiso
- 5 2 week Brazil, Argentina and Peru itinerary
- 6 Quito, Galapagos and Otavalo
- 7 Iquitos
- 8 Northwest Argentina - Specific Itinerary Questions
- 9 Weight limits on LATAM airlines
- 10 Peru 3 Week Itinerary Feedback PLS!
- 11 Rainbow mountain trek
- 12 Restaurant Iguazu Falls
- 13 1 Month Backpacking Peru Itinerary Check
- 14 In Celebration of Retiring: A Luxe Trip to Peru
- 15 Escaping the northern hemisphere winter in the Santiago area?
- 16 Brazil/Buzios: Booking bus tickets in advance?
- 17 Family Adventure in Ecuador
- 18 transport to San Antonio De Areco, Argentina
- 19 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 20 Agency to purchase tickets to US
- 21 AllenBrooks- guide/driver in Rio
- 22 Bariloche car rental
- 23 Guide recommendation Cusco Sacred Valley Machu Picchu
- 24 Child visa to Brazil. Please share your experience.
- 25 All inclusive hotels near San Pedro de Atacama?