I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
woman solo traveling Colombia
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 10 days in Argentina
- 2 Bogota, Providencia and Where Else?
- 3 Beginning-to-start to plan Colombia for July 2015
- 4 Peruvian Amazon
- 5 Peru, help cutting costs
- 6 cartagena , columbia
- 7 Is Guayaquil the new tourist discovery in Ecuador?
- 8 Peru Itinerary Help
- 9 One spare day in our itinerary - where should it go?
- 10 driving to salvador
- 11 february/march- where to go?
- 12 10 days backpacking in Peru
- 13 Antofogasta or Calama ? And which month ?
- 14 Birding in Mindo
- 15 Iguazu accomodation
- 16 Buenos Aires - lone female traveller
- 17 First time to Chile for 2 weeks March/April
- 18 El Calafate/Torres del Paine 7 day Itinerary Help
- 19 Pisco Dreams; Nine Days in the Sacred Valley, Cusco and Lima
- 20 Driving Advice for El Calafate to Torres Del Paine in early October
- 21 Peru: a month travel in February
- 22 Glover escapes cold again and returns to Colombia and Mexico
- 23 Trip to Machu Picchu, Amazing Place!!!
- 24 Off the beaten track
- 25 Solo female travelling around South America