I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Brazil. Reading lists
- 2 http://boosthightestosterones.com/nitrobuild-plus/
- 3 Lima Foodie Resource(s)
- 4 Buenos Aires hotel for 2 nights
- 5 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 6 Cusco to Ollantaytambo via Salt Flats
- 7 Any suggestions for tour companies for Inca Trail Trek to MP?
- 8 9 days in Ecuador-need help planning
- 9 Buenos Aires-ideas for side trips
- 10 Self Drive from BsAs to Tierra del Fuego
- 11 Suggested driving route Lima to Huaraz?
- 12 Cajamarca
- 13 Choquequirao Questions
- 14 Advice? First SA experience in Ecuador has so far been disappointing
- 15 Amazon and the Inca Trail
- 16 What to do with two free nites on arrival in Argentina
- 17 South America 2 Months Itinery
- 18 Finalizing Patagonia Itinerary-Suggestions?
- 19 Torres del Paine, 3 hotel oprions
- 20 5 day Galapagos cruise in Nov
- 21 Our ATMs to give 500 and 100 peso bills
- 22 Sixty days in Colombia
- 23 Machu Picchu - NatGeo vs. OAT
- 24 Taking the Bus Santiago Airport to Valpo
- 25 MP and Torres del Paine on same trip?