I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
woman solo traveling Colombia
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Plan a 3 month South America trip in less than 2 months
- 2 Sisters trip to Argentina and Chile
- 3 Able to buy Machu Picchu tickets online today!
- 4 To Buenos Aires and beyond
- 5 AEP to Recoleta - Taxi/Bus/Car Service
- 6 Cell phone in Brazil?
- 7 Out travels in Bolivia Peru and Ecuador
- 8 Gifts to Bring to Peru
- 9 Ecuador weekend beach trip - is it possible?
- 10 Quito recommendations
- 11 Salta itinerary- 4 nights
- 12 Ecuador-tour guides
- 13 Rio, Iguassu Falls and Buenos Aires
- 14 Lima or Ollantaytambo for Spanish Lessons
- 15 lima airport transport
- 16 Bird Poop Scam Making a Comeback
- 17 Father Daughter Trip to Peru
- 18 Bariloche to Puerto Varas Drive: Stops to Make?
- 19 Argentina currency
- 20 Traveling to Peru for two weeks... Itinerary suggestions needed!!
- 21 End in sight for Chile reciprocity fee
- 22 Fishing near Iguazu Falls?
- 23 Seeking Tips for Upcoming Trip to Rio, Iguazu and Buenos Aires
- 24 Macchu Picchu - Going Solo?
- 25 Need packing help for early May trip to Peru