I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
woman solo traveling Colombia
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 In Celebration of Retiring: A Luxe Trip to Peru
- 2 Language study in Brazil
- 3 SA for the first time. solo,female
- 4 Lima to Foz
- 5 A few specific questions about activities in Argentina with kids
- 6 Patagonia Trip Report: Kayaking, Riding and Hiking in the South
- 7 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 8 Car rental in Patagonia
- 9 Itinerary Feedback
- 10 Chile Private Tour
- 11 Columbia Questions
- 12 Your tips on Galapagos 2015 for Single Traveler
- 13 Chile reciprocity fee - Canadian citizens
- 14 Argentina Holiday Help
- 15 itinerary Help for Peru with Kids
- 16 driving up the coast from rio de janeiro to salvador
- 17 Chile - IVA Tax
- 18 Christmas present to Cusco?
- 19 Trip Report
- 20 arpilleras - where to buy ?
- 21 Astrid y Gaston, Lima, Peru: A mini trip report for foodies only
- 22 Cusco, Pto Maldonado, Titicaca and Trujillo!
- 23 Chile, Brazil and New York Trip report - live
- 24 flights from Buenos Aires to Iguazu Falls
- 25 3 Days Extra in NW Argentina