I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
woman solo traveling Colombia
- 1 Buenos Aires and Beyond for a Beginner
- 2 Route planning- 28 weeks and counting. 1 year South America
- 3 Need help with Cusco itinerary
- 4 2 weeks in Peru or 1 week in Peru and 1 in Chile
- 5 Flights on LAN
- 6 Eight Days on Horseback in the Avenue of the Volcanoes
- 7 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 8 La Cabrera -- really good or tourist trap?
- 9 More suggested reading
- 10 Family Trip to the Galapagos Islands
- 11 Back to South America
- 12 Peru Trip Report & Reviews (Lima, Sacred Valley, Manu, Cusco)
- 13 Has anyone heard of the tour company "escapes unlimited"?
- 14 First South American 2 month trip: Help review please !
- 15 which hotel in Cusco-- Second Home or Hotel Andenes al Cielo
- 16 Trip to Peru with my girlfriend (mid 20s)
- 17 Perito Moreno mini walk
- 18 Should we go to Iguazu Falls?
- 19 Crees organisation and foundation and Manu Learning Centre
- 20 2 weeks in Chile/easter island : first timers but not last timers...
- 21 Ritz Carlton Santiago
- 22 3 - 4 weeks in Brazil - help with trip itinerary
- 23 Peru Rail Trains to Machu Pichu
- 24 LAN South America airpass
- 25 Bogota footwear/cameras; Bolivar bugs