I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
woman solo traveling Colombia
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 General Strike in BsAs on Thursday
- 2 Peru and Brazil: A South American Adventure
- 3 GALAPAGOS ISLANDS
- 4 argentina & brazil
- 5 Patagonia...You took our breath away
- 6 Visa Question: U.S. Citizen Flying from Brazil to Bolivia
- 7 General Strike in BsAs on Thursday
- 8 Peru jungle – looking for wildlife/comfort balance
- 9 Valpariso or Vina del Mar for sr citizens - two nights
- 10 Ecuador 5 to 6 weeks
- 11 Where to stay in Rio before a Cruise?
- 12 First Time to Peru: Need Help with Child-Friendly Itinerary
- 13 2-week Peru itinerary - any advice or recommended changes?
- 14 Peru & Altitude Questions
- 15 Packing for Peru in August - Recommendations?
- 16 Brazil/Buzios: Booking bus tickets in advance?
- 17 2 wks in Colombia
- 18 Dentist in Buenos Aires
- 19 iguaza falls
- 20 Argentina Holiday Help
- 21 Lost andean immigration card for Ecuador - problem on exit?
- 22 Buenos Aries
- 23 Tour guide for Machu Picchu
- 24 Travel to Ecuador in pregnancy
- 25 14 days in Brazil mid-december through New Year's Eve- help please