I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
woman solo traveling Colombia
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 2 weeks in Argentina
- 2 Hugely flexible trip starting in Argentina, 5/5/2014.
- 3 Salta...Travel Brain Dead
- 4 Puno to Arequipa by bus
- 5 Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra
- 6 Galapogos by Land or by Sea?
- 7 Back to South America
- 8 Plan a 3 month South America trip in less than 2 months
- 9 My Trip to the Galapagos
- 10 Sisters trip to Argentina and Chile
- 11 More Help With Retirement Trip
- 12 JW Marriott Lima
- 13 Trip Report - Very Long
- 14 Any recommendations for guide at Iguazu?
- 15 Quito recommendations
- 16 60 Hours in Buenos Aires: Blue Dollar Heaven
- 17 Yellow Fever Vaccination Clinic in Salta?
- 18 Which airline to fly to Cusco?
- 19 Able to buy Machu Picchu tickets online today!
- 20 To Buenos Aires and beyond
- 21 AEP to Recoleta - Taxi/Bus/Car Service
- 22 Cell phone in Brazil?
- 23 Out travels in Bolivia Peru and Ecuador
- 24 Gifts to Bring to Peru
- 25 Ecuador weekend beach trip - is it possible?