I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Visiting Iguazu Falls From Rio
- 2 Iguazu Falls-"Best" Way to Reach/See
- 3 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 4 Travel with Children to Galapagos
- 5 Help us plan our dream SA trip!
- 6 Seek Suggestions on Trip to Machu Picchu
- 7 Avenue of Volcanoes
- 8 Waterfalls near Puyo, Tena, and Baeza in Ecuador
- 9 Best Trek in Peru? (Huayhuash Circuit vs Inca Trail)
- 10 Bariloche car rental
- 11 Trip Report: Studying Spanish in Quito and Cuenca 2007
- 12 Galapagos and Machu Pichu Itinerary Suggestions
- 13 Machu Picchu in January
- 14 Dining in Medellin
- 15 Medellin's hidden Parque is lovely
- 16 Christmastime in Santiago/Valparaiso - what to do, where to stay
- 17 Colca Canyon Earthquake
- 18 Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca), Peru
- 19 10 days in Santiago, Easter Islands, San pedro de atacama, doable?
- 20 santiago chile area
- 21 Beach walk in Rio - Copacabana or Ipanema?
- 22 Reflections on our South America trip
- 23 One Day in Santiago/Tour Guide
- 24 Driving from Santiago to Peurto Montt
- 25 Chile: first cut a travel plan