I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 2 Exciting Times in Colombia
- 3 Trip Report - 2 Weeks in Peru, July 2016
- 4 Day Trip Ideas from Rio...
- 5 Best place to exchange USD for Peso
- 6 Galapagos - 11 full days
- 7 Mindo places with comfortable beds and flexible menus?
- 8 Sixty days in Colombia
- 9 Video from Chile (Chiloé & Volcan Calbuco)
- 10 Colca Canyon Earthquake
- 11 Sketching Out a Rough Itinerary - First Trip to South America
- 12 2 Weeks in Colombia & the Galapagos Islands
- 13 Car rental El Calafate and drop off in Chile
- 14 Lima Foodie Resource(s)
- 15 Argentina - Day trips in Ushuaia
- 16 Iguazu Falls -- 2 nights -- do we have it right?
- 17 Booking sites - HELP! Don't want to be scammed
- 18 summer olympics in Rio
- 19 2 Weeks in Rio in Nov End
- 20 Trip ideas for 2 weeks in South America??
- 21 Tahuayo Lodge, Amazon
- 22 Most Efficient Travel from Peru to Chile?
- 23 Buenos Aires AND Iguazu Falls?
- 24 Ecuador -Rental Car, Clothing and Cotopaxi
- 25 Itinerary Help Brazil 10 days