I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
woman solo traveling Colombia
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Cusco, Pto Maldonado, Titicaca and Trujillo!
- 2 Plan a 3 month South America trip in less than 2 months
- 3 Itinerary advice for a 5 week trip to Peru
- 4 Trip to Machu Picchu
- 5 RECIFE, where to stay during WORLD CUP??
- 6 Fire in Valparaiso
- 7 HELP!!! Sao Paulo for a day???
- 8 Machu Picchu with a bum knee
- 9 Independence Day in Cuzco
- 10 Ecuador - should we go?
- 11 Buenos Aires + only 1 Patagonia location
- 12 Back to South America
- 13 Cotopaxi Day Tour
- 14 Travel from Cusco to Tacna by bus
- 15 Peru/Machu Picchu/Cuzco suggestions
- 16 Driving in Ecuador
- 17 Out travels in Bolivia Peru and Ecuador
- 18 To Buenos Aires and beyond
- 19 Should we book Argentina trip in May 2014?
- 20 2-3 months backpacking trip to Peru, Bolivia, Chile and Buenos Aires
- 21 Brazil/Buzios: Booking bus tickets in advance?
- 22 9 day Itinerary Advice: Lima, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu
- 23 Question about LAN Peru LAX-Cusco
- 24 Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra
- 25 Questions re. Machu Picchu