I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
woman solo traveling Colombia
- 1 Trip Report: Brazil--the Pantanal
- 2 Recommendations for Amazon tours
- 3 Trip Report: Argentina and Peru
- 4 Santiago Airport International Flight Connection Information
- 5 5 months South America
- 6 Argentina El Calafate to Chilean border - Punta arenas
- 7 2nd Brazil Visit - Ideas please
- 8 5 days in South America - Brazil or Argentina? (Sao Paolo and Rio excluded)
- 9 Chile Itinerary without Patagonia
- 10 Galapagos travel plan recommendation
- 11 Hotel Tyndell or Las Torres in Torres del Paine
- 12 Family trip to Lima and MP
- 13 Machu Picchu - Hiking boots or Teva sandals?
- 14 Highly recommended taxi driver in the Sacred Valley of Peru
- 15 Patagonia Itinerary
- 16 Back to South America
- 17 South America in July
- 18 Might Chile's reciprocity fee disappear in 2014?
- 19 Buenos Aires and Beyond for a Beginner
- 20 Brazil Help!
- 21 Driving from Bariloche to Chile
- 22 Van rental in Punta Arena, Chile
- 23 Chile: Pucon car rental pick-up and return Santiago
- 24 Car Rental in Chile
- 25 Peru For less travel agent