I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Villa de Leyva - a week too much and other questions..
- 2 Argentina in October--more questions
- 3 Our new government to promote foreign tourism
- 4 Spontaneity in Cusco activities possible?
- 5 Southward Ho! Adventures in Chile & ARG
- 6 Rio de Janeiro in March
- 7 South America this October
- 8 Chile or Argentina?
- 9 11 hours in Lima
- 10 Transportation: Cusco Airport to Ollantaytamba train station
- 11 Cusco and Machu Picchu
- 12 Villa de Leyva - a week too much and other questions..
- 13 Machu Picchu - any good hiking guide companies?
- 14 Galápagos Islands: Yacht Angelito
- 15 Itinerary Help Brazil 10 days
- 16 Antarctica on the Vavilov-How to book?
- 17 Peru in December
- 18 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 19 Tarapoto
- 20 Some Nature/Bird Lodges in Colombia
- 21 Buenos Aires/Argentina 10+ Day, Solo Woman Traveler
- 22 A brief encounter with Ecuador
- 23 Extra two days In Cusco or Lima..Early September
- 24 Need some help in getting started-first vacation to South America!
- 25 Hiking in Ecuador: Water and Clothing Advice Please