I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Wine Tours in Chile and Argentina -
- 2 Chile & Argentina wine trips
- 3 Brief Notes on a February in Ecuador
- 4 Iguazu Falls - 4 star hotel near the airport?
- 5 Welltravbrit's Colombia - Statues, Tombs, and Carnaval!
- 6 Huaraz to Trujillo, Chiclayo and Piura
- 7 Santiago & Valparaiso - Help with Planning
- 8 Couple of days out from Bogota - Safe and possible?
- 9 2 weeks in Peru/Chile
- 10 Ecuador Trip Plan: What did we get right and wrong?
- 11 Logistics to reach Angel Falls in Venezuela
- 12 Inca Trail Report: 5 day version with Wayki Trek
- 13 Santiago, Chile
- 14 2 Weeks in Armenia, Colombia/July
- 15 limited time in Cusco
- 16 Iguassu Falls footwear?
- 17 Galápagos Islands: Yacht Angelito
- 18 Lost andean immigration card for Ecuador - problem on exit?
- 19 Visiting Ollantataymbo from Cusco
- 20 Getting Visa for U.S. citizen at the border
- 21 Back "home" in Barranco
- 22 Day trips from Montevideo
- 23 H Stern Jewelers, Brazil
- 24 2 weeks in Colombia
- 25 Home exchange to Brazil: cultural differences.