I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
woman solo traveling Colombia
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Peru and Brazil: A South American Adventure
- 2 Urgent Help Required Regarding International Transit Through Brazil.
- 3 Rio, Ouro Preto and Inhotim trip report
- 4 3 Full Days in Iguazu?
- 5 Lakes District: Where to Base for 10 days
- 6 Patagonia trip decisions
- 7 Machu Picchu First?
- 8 Is it safe to backpack in venezuela?
- 9 VENEZUELA : avoid POSADA La CASITA and GEKKO TOurs in Ciudad Bolivar
- 10 Galapagos.. questions about cruises, seasons, Quito hotels
- 11 Day trip Iguazu to Arg/Paraguay missions - recommend a tour operator?
- 12 8 Days in Peru
- 13 Travel to Peru with my 5 best friends!
- 14 2 weeks Ecuador, no car, flying to Guayaquil, most accessible places to go?
- 15 Connection in Lima, practical for 3 hours?
- 16 Peru in December
- 17 Hostels in Oruro during Carnaval?
- 18 First Time to Peru: Need Help with Child-Friendly Itinerary
- 19 Ipad Hackers in Peru?
- 20 Trip Report - Very Long
- 21 Wet suits in Galapagos
- 22 Heart of the Inca
- 23 Amazon lodges or cruises
- 24 Senior Citizen's wonderful trip to Sacred Valley thanks to Great Tour Guide
- 25 Tupiza to Tilcara