I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Anyone familiar with Sky Airlines?
- 2 Cusco and the Sacred Valley
- 3 AirB&B in Buenos Airies
- 4 Looking for photographers in Bogota, Medellin and Cartagena
- 5 Quito, Galapagos and Otavalo
- 6 Going to Peru with 2 kids (9 and 12yrs)
- 7 Galapagos Islands, Machu Picchu, Amazon Rainforest + more
- 8 Galapagos tour one week on a boat
- 9 Galapagos and Machu Pichu Itinerary Suggestions
- 10 8 days in Ecudor
- 11 Northeast Brazil
- 12 Argentina in 15 days with a toddler: Trip report!
- 13 Lima, Peru - Travel Report
- 14 Galapagos - Family Wildlife Tours
- 15 Best BA neighborhood to stay in?
- 16 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 17 Going to Machu Pichu with 4 children
- 18 Local tour companies in Bolivia
- 19 James Frazer-Mann - Trying to book El Chalten via Plataforma10 ?
- 20 Adventures / full of experince tours in the Ecuadorians
- 21 Lima - driver for hire
- 22 Cordoba-scenic small towns nearby
- 23 OK one final question - concerns AEP!
- 24 Iguazu Falls Couple Last Minute Questions!
- 25 First trip to Argentina - should we just stay in Buenos Aires?