I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Best Latin American countries!
- 2 Sao Paulo
- 3 Questions Regarding Buenos Aires
- 4 Patagonia Trip Reports / El Chaltén
- 5 (Santiago/Valpo done)---Mendoza help please!
- 6 Changing money upon arrival in Buenos Aires
- 7 Salud !
- 8 Peru in Late February?
- 9 christmas in buenos aires
- 10 Cartagena
- 11 Peru domestic airline layover time
- 12 anyone stayed at Alta Piazza in Buenos Aries?
- 13 OAT trip to Columbia?
- 14 Best Bus Company to Iguazu Falls
- 15 ferry: Buenos Aires to Colonia del Sacramento
- 16 Transportation from El Calafate to Puerto Natales
- 17 Pisco Dreams; Nine Days in the Sacred Valley, Cusco and Lima
- 18 Galapagos Island
- 19 Land Based Galapagos Was the Right Choice for Me.
- 20 Puno to Lima
- 21 Solmar Tours in Peru
- 22 opinions on itinerary flow
- 23 10-12 week Backpacking Trip in South America
- 24 If it's Tuesday, this must be...Nicaragua, the Peruvian Amazon, or Colombia
- 25 Leftover Argentine Pesos - where to sell?