I'm a 30 year old woman, planning to visit South America (for the first time) for 5 weeks starting in July.
I have been going back and forth for weeks now on where to go, regarding weather, safety and malaria, as well.
My biggest concerns are theft (armed, especially), guerilla groups (especially BACRIM), current flooding and the looming eruption of Nevado de Ruiz.
Also, I've heard I should stay clear of the mountains due to guerilla groups. Is this true? Are there any safe areas to go for beautiful hikes/trekking tours?
Comments, thoughts, opinions on any of the above matters? Would be very much appreciated!
I have heard such incredible things about Colombia that I still would very much like to go, but with all of the above issues, I admit I'm nervous. Would Peru be a better option for a female traveling around?
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 3 days precruise-stay in Santiago all 3 or 2 SCL and 1 Valparaiso?
- 2 Which Amazon area/lodge in Peru?
- 3 Trip Report - First time in Buenos Aires/Iguazu Falls/Rio de Janeiro
- 4 Pantanal Lodges
- 5 What's all the hype about Buenos Aires?
- 6 Is the Perito Moreno Glacier worth paying $200+ to walk on?
- 7 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 8 Manaus
- 9 where to stay Buenos Aires
- 10 Renting a car in Patagonia
- 11 Avianca business class
- 12 Suenos Aires, Argentina vs Lisbon, Portugal
- 13 No exit stamp from Brazil, no entry stamp in Paraguay, help!!
- 14 Best BA neighborhood to stay in?
- 15 Argentina in 15 days with a toddler: Trip report!
- 16 Can a Europhile Find Happiness in Argentina and Chile?
- 17 Trip Report Chile: A Country of Diverse and Amazing Beauty...
- 18 How many days in Medellin area?
- 19 Looking for photographers in Bogota, Medellin and Cartagena
- 20 60-yr old female going solo to Rio - itinerary
- 21 Argentinian Honeymoon
- 22 Peru Trip for the Family
- 23 Pisco sours
- 24 Huayhuash Trecking 8-16th of july