Good morning Fodorites, We just returned from a trip to attend the funeral of my mother-in-law in Barquisimeto, Venezuela, which is a five-hour drive to the SW of Caracas Airport. The Venezuelan Departure tax is skyrocketing. They now charge you 23 Bolivares per person-10.72 in US dollars (regardless of age) just to fly between Venezuelan states. I believe that included in the international ticket for American Airlines there is a Venezuelan departure tax, as my wife did not have to spend any out-of-pocket money to depart from VE last October and May. Since March 1st of this year, they have added an additional out-of-pocket international departure tax on top of the other two taxes. The additional departure tax is 115,000 Bolivares or $53.62 per person US. We had to come up with 345,000 Bolivares or close to $161 extra US out-of-pocket just to leave this country (we were a party of two adults and a ten-year-old). If you are traveling to Venezuela, be prepared to have to pay this large tax. As of yesterday you could pay with either US dollars or VE Bolivares. I found these taxes to be very steep. I felt like we were be gouged just to get out of the country after an upsetting trip.
Venezuelan Departure Tax
View all South America activity »
- 1 Celebrating A Century Of Flight
- 2 Problems with emails USA-Brazil
- 3 how to get to San Pedro de Atacama, Chile
- 4 8 Days in Brazil
- 5 Need Help with Itinerary (2.5 Months) (Indian Passport)
- 6 Carribean to Argentina or Uruguay
- 7 Flight and Lodging in Manaus and Rio
- 8 Practical to combine Amazon + beaches with visit to the Guianas?
- 9 Where to celebrate the New Year ?
- 10 To Buenos Aires and beyond
- 11 Lower savings with the "blue" exchange rate?
- 12 Peru Hop?
- 13 3 days before Cuzco/Machu Picchu - what to do, where to go
- 14 "Up to" 40% discount on LAN flights around South America today only
- 15 Uruguay Re-Do
- 16 Montevideo, Uruguay
- 17 60 Hours in Buenos Aires: Blue Dollar Heaven
- 18 More suggested reading
- 19 Please help me jump-start planning for Galapagos trip
- 20 Peru Best Tours: Buyers Beware
- 21 Bariloche over XMas
- 22 Quark Expeditions 50% off sale - Antarctica 2014
- 23 Traveling with a Computer?
- 24 Christmas Day in Buenos Aires
- 25 Two Weeks Ecuador - Itinerary Help!