Good morning Fodorites, We just returned from a trip to attend the funeral of my mother-in-law in Barquisimeto, Venezuela, which is a five-hour drive to the SW of Caracas Airport. The Venezuelan Departure tax is skyrocketing. They now charge you 23 Bolivares per person-10.72 in US dollars (regardless of age) just to fly between Venezuelan states. I believe that included in the international ticket for American Airlines there is a Venezuelan departure tax, as my wife did not have to spend any out-of-pocket money to depart from VE last October and May. Since March 1st of this year, they have added an additional out-of-pocket international departure tax on top of the other two taxes. The additional departure tax is 115,000 Bolivares or $53.62 per person US. We had to come up with 345,000 Bolivares or close to $161 extra US out-of-pocket just to leave this country (we were a party of two adults and a ten-year-old). If you are traveling to Venezuela, be prepared to have to pay this large tax. As of yesterday you could pay with either US dollars or VE Bolivares. I found these taxes to be very steep. I felt like we were be gouged just to get out of the country after an upsetting trip.
Venezuelan Departure Tax
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 General Strike in BsAs on Thursday
- 2 Peru and Brazil: A South American Adventure
- 3 GALAPAGOS ISLANDS
- 4 argentina & brazil
- 5 Patagonia...You took our breath away
- 6 Visa Question: U.S. Citizen Flying from Brazil to Bolivia
- 7 General Strike in BsAs on Thursday
- 8 Peru jungle – looking for wildlife/comfort balance
- 9 Valpariso or Vina del Mar for sr citizens - two nights
- 10 Ecuador 5 to 6 weeks
- 11 Where to stay in Rio before a Cruise?
- 12 First Time to Peru: Need Help with Child-Friendly Itinerary
- 13 2-week Peru itinerary - any advice or recommended changes?
- 14 Peru & Altitude Questions
- 15 Packing for Peru in August - Recommendations?
- 16 Brazil/Buzios: Booking bus tickets in advance?
- 17 2 wks in Colombia
- 18 Dentist in Buenos Aires
- 19 iguaza falls
- 20 Argentina Holiday Help
- 21 Lost andean immigration card for Ecuador - problem on exit?
- 22 Buenos Aries
- 23 Tour guide for Machu Picchu
- 24 Travel to Ecuador in pregnancy
- 25 14 days in Brazil mid-december through New Year's Eve- help please