Good morning Fodorites, We just returned from a trip to attend the funeral of my mother-in-law in Barquisimeto, Venezuela, which is a five-hour drive to the SW of Caracas Airport. The Venezuelan Departure tax is skyrocketing. They now charge you 23 Bolivares per person-10.72 in US dollars (regardless of age) just to fly between Venezuelan states. I believe that included in the international ticket for American Airlines there is a Venezuelan departure tax, as my wife did not have to spend any out-of-pocket money to depart from VE last October and May. Since March 1st of this year, they have added an additional out-of-pocket international departure tax on top of the other two taxes. The additional departure tax is 115,000 Bolivares or $53.62 per person US. We had to come up with 345,000 Bolivares or close to $161 extra US out-of-pocket just to leave this country (we were a party of two adults and a ten-year-old). If you are traveling to Venezuela, be prepared to have to pay this large tax. As of yesterday you could pay with either US dollars or VE Bolivares. I found these taxes to be very steep. I felt like we were be gouged just to get out of the country after an upsetting trip.
Venezuelan Departure Tax
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Huayna Picchu Vs. Machu Picchu Mountain?
- 2 Obtaining a visa while abroad
- 3 Mendoza
- 4 2 weeks in Argentina - end of Nov. to early Dec.
- 5 Pet friendly housing in Cusco, Peru
- 6 Hotel Suggestions Buenos Aires La Recoleta
- 7 Gifts to Bring to Peru
- 8 Cruise stop over in Lima
- 9 14 days in Brazil mid-december through New Year's Eve- help please
- 10 Santiago and Puerto Montt in a week
- 11 Pantanal on your own
- 12 I need some help about bringing some stuffs to Brazil
- 13 Trip report/blog - Machu Picchu and the Amazon Rainforest
- 14 Ecuador - should we go?
- 15 Amazon River & surrounds: How much is practical in 3 weeks?
- 16 Santiago 2 days
- 17 itinerary suggestions for peru- 1 month trip?
- 18 Villa de Leyva, Colombia´s colonial gem
- 19 Pantanal or rurrenbaque?
- 20 Colombia´s Lake Guatavita and the search for El Dorado
- 21 Cachi-Cafayate 9-10 August. Looking to share car rental costs
- 22 3 Months South America: Argentina - Bolivia - Peru. Ideas?
- 23 Lodge in Pantanal
- 24 Visa Question: U.S. Citizen Flying from Brazil to Bolivia
- 25 Valparaiso Hotels - which one to stay in March??