Good morning Fodorites, We just returned from a trip to attend the funeral of my mother-in-law in Barquisimeto, Venezuela, which is a five-hour drive to the SW of Caracas Airport. The Venezuelan Departure tax is skyrocketing. They now charge you 23 Bolivares per person-10.72 in US dollars (regardless of age) just to fly between Venezuelan states. I believe that included in the international ticket for American Airlines there is a Venezuelan departure tax, as my wife did not have to spend any out-of-pocket money to depart from VE last October and May. Since March 1st of this year, they have added an additional out-of-pocket international departure tax on top of the other two taxes. The additional departure tax is 115,000 Bolivares or $53.62 per person US. We had to come up with 345,000 Bolivares or close to $161 extra US out-of-pocket just to leave this country (we were a party of two adults and a ten-year-old). If you are traveling to Venezuela, be prepared to have to pay this large tax. As of yesterday you could pay with either US dollars or VE Bolivares. I found these taxes to be very steep. I felt like we were be gouged just to get out of the country after an upsetting trip.
Venezuelan Departure Tax
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Patagonia Trip Report: Kayaking, Riding and Hiking in the South
- 2 Argentina trip over Christmas and New Years
- 3 Where to stay in Rio before a Cruise?
- 4 Christmas in Cusco
- 5 transportation in Brazil
- 6 Advice, recommendations and guidance
- 7 Pisco Dreams; Nine Days in the Sacred Valley, Cusco and Lima
- 8 Patagonia Chile
- 9 Blue dollars in Argentina
- 10 Cartagena: enough for 4-6 days?
- 11 Easter Island flight delays?
- 12 argentina & brazil
- 13 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 14 Colombia, Safe Travels from Cartagena to Santa Marta Area
- 15 Beware of G Adventures Galapagos tour guides!
- 16 A couple days outside of Buenos Aires
- 17 Brazilian music
- 18 Ecuador 5 to 6 weeks
- 19 Colombia Trip Report - Very Long
- 20 Itinerary Help Peru>Bolivia>Chile>Argentina>Brazil
- 21 HELP! Seeking a teaching job down south
- 22 First Leg of retirement Triperu
- 23 The WSJ says it is cheap to eat out in BA - So, what's new????
- 24 Worth staying extra night in Buenos Aires, esp Monday night?
- 25 Change Hotel Locations in Buenos Aires