I have a sabbatical and would like to stay in South America (or maybe Central America) with my kids, ages 6 and 9 for a two-month stay (June, July, 2014). I have traveled in Ecuador and Peru and have lived in Colombia (Bogota, Cucuta) for a while. I speak Spanish and would like to have my kids learn the language and gain an appreciation for South American culture.
My wish list:
-small city or town
-laid back environment
-opportunities to enroll my kids in classes or activities where they could meet other kids
I'm thinking Ecuador, Colombia, or Costa Rica right now. Ideally, I would go somewhere where I knew a family (from there) with kids so that we wouldn't have to spend alot of time meeting other kids. Any ideas about towns that might fill the bill nicely? (I'm not interested in Cartagena or Sta. Marta, however). The kind of quaint locations I am looking for are not those that I am finding on general internet searches. (I do *not* want a place that's filled with English-speaking tourists).
The second issue I'm having is trying to find a way to locate an apartment for this time period. Searching the internet has not yielded many leads. Ideally, I'd like to find a 2-bedroom apartment with wi-fi. Any ideas about how to go about with a search for a short-term lease like that?
Thanks so much for your help!
Two-month stay with kids in South America
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Hiring a driver in the Sacred Valley.....suggestions please
- 2 2 "free days" in Lake District
- 3 Peru in 7 (full) days: Cuzco, Puno, Arequipa
- 4 Glover escapes cold again and returns to Colombia and Mexico
- 5 1 day in Rio
- 6 Peru advice, and are there any monkeys?
- 7 Chile - Casablanca region vineyard tours. Any recommendations?
- 8 Solo female travelling around South America
- 9 Bariloche car rental
- 10 A Camera Question for the Photogs Out There
- 11 Galapagos Islands
- 12 Trip to Argentina - Help with Patagonia needed!
- 13 Headed to Bogota and Villa de Leyva next week!
- 14 Day trip to Paracas
- 15 Bogota - Is it safe?
- 16 Peru trip
- 17 Amazon Manaus Tour Guides
- 18 Peru: Kaleidoscope of Colors. Amazon Cruise, Machu Picchu, Jungle Lodges
- 19 Chile or Chile/Argentina - 3 Itinerary Ideas, Can't Decide!
- 20 Pisco Dreams; Nine Days in the Sacred Valley, Cusco and Lima
- 21 One week Family Spring Break in Cartagena and ??
- 22 To Iguazu Falls, No Time To Tango
- 23 Mendoza - Wine Lodges robberies
- 24 Logistics for visit to Lake Titicaca
- 25 Peru: Machu Picchu Cusco itinerary help