I have a sabbatical and would like to stay in South America (or maybe Central America) with my kids, ages 6 and 9 for a two-month stay (June, July, 2014). I have traveled in Ecuador and Peru and have lived in Colombia (Bogota, Cucuta) for a while. I speak Spanish and would like to have my kids learn the language and gain an appreciation for South American culture.
My wish list:
-small city or town
-laid back environment
-opportunities to enroll my kids in classes or activities where they could meet other kids
I'm thinking Ecuador, Colombia, or Costa Rica right now. Ideally, I would go somewhere where I knew a family (from there) with kids so that we wouldn't have to spend alot of time meeting other kids. Any ideas about towns that might fill the bill nicely? (I'm not interested in Cartagena or Sta. Marta, however). The kind of quaint locations I am looking for are not those that I am finding on general internet searches. (I do *not* want a place that's filled with English-speaking tourists).
The second issue I'm having is trying to find a way to locate an apartment for this time period. Searching the internet has not yielded many leads. Ideally, I'd like to find a 2-bedroom apartment with wi-fi. Any ideas about how to go about with a search for a short-term lease like that?
Thanks so much for your help!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Customs/Immigration Buenos Aires
- 2 Making the most of Montevideo
- 3 visiting Patagonia on cruise ship vs land trip
- 4 Peru transport questioins
- 5 Kudos - Brazilian Visa service = FAST
- 6 Packing for 2.5 months in Buenos Aires
- 7 Oasis Collection - Apartments in Buenos Aires
- 8 Insect repellent recommendations
- 9 Is Nat Geo Family Odyssey to Galapagos truly kid-friendly
- 10 Places to eat like a local
- 11 Galapagos
- 12 Chile Trekking options
- 13 Sunday Brunch at Alvear Palace with Avrooster
- 14 Ecuador - Tap Water Question
- 15 Taxi Ezeiza - BEWARE!
- 16 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 17 Fifteenth
- 18 Four Days in Buenos Aires
- 19 Patagonia w/out Guide
- 20 Suggestions for Antarctica/Patagonia Tour Operator
- 21 Trip Report - 2 Weeks in Peru, July 2016
- 22 LAN Stopover in Lima
- 23 Sixty days in Colombia
- 24 Packing advice for weather
- 25 Iguazu Falls -- is Brazil side worth the cost?