I have a sabbatical and would like to stay in South America (or maybe Central America) with my kids, ages 6 and 9 for a two-month stay (June, July, 2014). I have traveled in Ecuador and Peru and have lived in Colombia (Bogota, Cucuta) for a while. I speak Spanish and would like to have my kids learn the language and gain an appreciation for South American culture.
My wish list:
-small city or town
-laid back environment
-opportunities to enroll my kids in classes or activities where they could meet other kids
I'm thinking Ecuador, Colombia, or Costa Rica right now. Ideally, I would go somewhere where I knew a family (from there) with kids so that we wouldn't have to spend alot of time meeting other kids. Any ideas about towns that might fill the bill nicely? (I'm not interested in Cartagena or Sta. Marta, however). The kind of quaint locations I am looking for are not those that I am finding on general internet searches. (I do *not* want a place that's filled with English-speaking tourists).
The second issue I'm having is trying to find a way to locate an apartment for this time period. Searching the internet has not yielded many leads. Ideally, I'd like to find a 2-bedroom apartment with wi-fi. Any ideas about how to go about with a search for a short-term lease like that?
Thanks so much for your help!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Sao Paulo
- 2 I had tried this pill for eight
- 3 Best Latin American countries!
- 4 Questions Regarding Buenos Aires
- 5 Patagonia Trip Reports / El Chaltén
- 6 (Santiago/Valpo done)---Mendoza help please!
- 7 Changing money upon arrival in Buenos Aires
- 8 Salud !
- 9 Peru in Late February?
- 10 christmas in buenos aires
- 11 Cartagena
- 12 Peru domestic airline layover time
- 13 anyone stayed at Alta Piazza in Buenos Aries?
- 14 OAT trip to Columbia?
- 15 Best Bus Company to Iguazu Falls
- 16 ferry: Buenos Aires to Colonia del Sacramento
- 17 Transportation from El Calafate to Puerto Natales
- 18 Pisco Dreams; Nine Days in the Sacred Valley, Cusco and Lima
- 19 Galapagos Island
- 20 Land Based Galapagos Was the Right Choice for Me.
- 21 Puno to Lima
- 22 Solmar Tours in Peru
- 23 opinions on itinerary flow
- 24 10-12 week Backpacking Trip in South America
- 25 If it's Tuesday, this must be...Nicaragua, the Peruvian Amazon, or Colombia