I have a sabbatical and would like to stay in South America (or maybe Central America) with my kids, ages 6 and 9 for a two-month stay (June, July, 2014). I have traveled in Ecuador and Peru and have lived in Colombia (Bogota, Cucuta) for a while. I speak Spanish and would like to have my kids learn the language and gain an appreciation for South American culture.
My wish list:
-small city or town
-laid back environment
-opportunities to enroll my kids in classes or activities where they could meet other kids
I'm thinking Ecuador, Colombia, or Costa Rica right now. Ideally, I would go somewhere where I knew a family (from there) with kids so that we wouldn't have to spend alot of time meeting other kids. Any ideas about towns that might fill the bill nicely? (I'm not interested in Cartagena or Sta. Marta, however). The kind of quaint locations I am looking for are not those that I am finding on general internet searches. (I do *not* want a place that's filled with English-speaking tourists).
The second issue I'm having is trying to find a way to locate an apartment for this time period. Searching the internet has not yielded many leads. Ideally, I'd like to find a 2-bedroom apartment with wi-fi. Any ideas about how to go about with a search for a short-term lease like that?
Thanks so much for your help!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Water in Peru
- 2 Areas to stay in Rio de Janiero and Buenos Aires
- 3 Argentina Trip report
- 4 Travel Agent Recommendation for Patagonia
- 5 Rio to Paraguay and Iguazu Falls advice needed
- 6 Salar de Uyuni: a guide
- 7 Trip Report: Bogota
- 8 Peru to Salar de Uyuni
- 9 Colchagua Valey
- 10 Do you need passes to see machu picch?
- 11 Planning Trip to Patagonia and Wine Country
- 12 Bogota, Providencia and Where Else?
- 13 Travel in Brazil or visit Machu Picchu?
- 14 Sacred Valley/Inca Trail April 2015 Trip Report
- 15 Trip Report - Peru - Long
- 16 Pantanal tour prices
- 17 Safety in Rio?
- 18 Tours to Machu Picchu
- 19 New to traveling, and I need help.
- 20 My Lima Layover
- 21 Strike Peru May 27-28 - urgent decision
- 22 Not your usual Lima Layover Trip Report
- 23 Absolute must in 3-4 days in Galapagos
- 24 It's Restaurant Week in Lima til 24 May
- 25 Hostels in Rio de Janeiro