I have a sabbatical and would like to stay in South America (or maybe Central America) with my kids, ages 6 and 9 for a two-month stay (June, July, 2014). I have traveled in Ecuador and Peru and have lived in Colombia (Bogota, Cucuta) for a while. I speak Spanish and would like to have my kids learn the language and gain an appreciation for South American culture.
My wish list:
-small city or town
-laid back environment
-opportunities to enroll my kids in classes or activities where they could meet other kids
I'm thinking Ecuador, Colombia, or Costa Rica right now. Ideally, I would go somewhere where I knew a family (from there) with kids so that we wouldn't have to spend alot of time meeting other kids. Any ideas about towns that might fill the bill nicely? (I'm not interested in Cartagena or Sta. Marta, however). The kind of quaint locations I am looking for are not those that I am finding on general internet searches. (I do *not* want a place that's filled with English-speaking tourists).
The second issue I'm having is trying to find a way to locate an apartment for this time period. Searching the internet has not yielded many leads. Ideally, I'd like to find a 2-bedroom apartment with wi-fi. Any ideas about how to go about with a search for a short-term lease like that?
Thanks so much for your help!
Two-month stay with kids in South America
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Rio, Ouro Preto and Inhotim trip report
- 2 Urgent Help Required Regarding International Transit Through Brazil.
- 3 Peru and Brazil: A South American Adventure
- 4 3 Full Days in Iguazu?
- 5 Lakes District: Where to Base for 10 days
- 6 Patagonia trip decisions
- 7 Machu Picchu First?
- 8 Is it safe to backpack in venezuela?
- 9 VENEZUELA : avoid POSADA La CASITA and GEKKO TOurs in Ciudad Bolivar
- 10 Galapagos.. questions about cruises, seasons, Quito hotels
- 11 Day trip Iguazu to Arg/Paraguay missions - recommend a tour operator?
- 12 8 Days in Peru
- 13 Travel to Peru with my 5 best friends!
- 14 2 weeks Ecuador, no car, flying to Guayaquil, most accessible places to go?
- 15 Connection in Lima, practical for 3 hours?
- 16 Peru in December
- 17 Hostels in Oruro during Carnaval?
- 18 First Time to Peru: Need Help with Child-Friendly Itinerary
- 19 Ipad Hackers in Peru?
- 20 Trip Report - Very Long
- 21 Wet suits in Galapagos
- 22 Heart of the Inca
- 23 Amazon lodges or cruises
- 24 Senior Citizen's wonderful trip to Sacred Valley thanks to Great Tour Guide
- 25 Tupiza to Tilcara