I have a sabbatical and would like to stay in South America (or maybe Central America) with my kids, ages 6 and 9 for a two-month stay (June, July, 2014). I have traveled in Ecuador and Peru and have lived in Colombia (Bogota, Cucuta) for a while. I speak Spanish and would like to have my kids learn the language and gain an appreciation for South American culture.
My wish list:
-small city or town
-laid back environment
-opportunities to enroll my kids in classes or activities where they could meet other kids
I'm thinking Ecuador, Colombia, or Costa Rica right now. Ideally, I would go somewhere where I knew a family (from there) with kids so that we wouldn't have to spend alot of time meeting other kids. Any ideas about towns that might fill the bill nicely? (I'm not interested in Cartagena or Sta. Marta, however). The kind of quaint locations I am looking for are not those that I am finding on general internet searches. (I do *not* want a place that's filled with English-speaking tourists).
The second issue I'm having is trying to find a way to locate an apartment for this time period. Searching the internet has not yielded many leads. Ideally, I'd like to find a 2-bedroom apartment with wi-fi. Any ideas about how to go about with a search for a short-term lease like that?
Thanks so much for your help!
Two-month stay with kids in South America
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 60 Hours in Buenos Aires: Blue Dollar Heaven
- 2 Birding in Mindo
- 3 Where to buy cowhide rug in Buenos Aires
- 4 Plan a 3 month South America trip in less than 2 months
- 5 Rio Advice for 2 Young Women
- 6 Buying a SIM card in Chile for I phone 5
- 7 Galapogos by Land or by Sea?
- 8 3 Weeks Itinerary
- 9 Any recommendations for guide at Iguazu?
- 10 Peru Escorted Travel
- 11 Hugely flexible trip starting in Argentina, 5/5/2014.
- 12 Puno to Arequipa by bus
- 13 Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra
- 14 Sisters trip to Argentina and Chile
- 15 Travel Agency: PeruTourism
- 16 Quito trip review with Gate 1 Travel
- 17 2 weeks in Argentina
- 18 Salta...Travel Brain Dead
- 19 Back to South America
- 20 My Trip to the Galapagos
- 21 More Help With Retirement Trip
- 22 JW Marriott Lima
- 23 Trip Report - Very Long
- 24 Quito recommendations
- 25 Yellow Fever Vaccination Clinic in Salta?