I have a sabbatical and would like to stay in South America (or maybe Central America) with my kids, ages 6 and 9 for a two-month stay (June, July, 2014). I have traveled in Ecuador and Peru and have lived in Colombia (Bogota, Cucuta) for a while. I speak Spanish and would like to have my kids learn the language and gain an appreciation for South American culture.
My wish list:
-small city or town
-laid back environment
-opportunities to enroll my kids in classes or activities where they could meet other kids
I'm thinking Ecuador, Colombia, or Costa Rica right now. Ideally, I would go somewhere where I knew a family (from there) with kids so that we wouldn't have to spend alot of time meeting other kids. Any ideas about towns that might fill the bill nicely? (I'm not interested in Cartagena or Sta. Marta, however). The kind of quaint locations I am looking for are not those that I am finding on general internet searches. (I do *not* want a place that's filled with English-speaking tourists).
The second issue I'm having is trying to find a way to locate an apartment for this time period. Searching the internet has not yielded many leads. Ideally, I'd like to find a 2-bedroom apartment with wi-fi. Any ideas about how to go about with a search for a short-term lease like that?
Thanks so much for your help!
Two-month stay with kids in South America
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Return Flight from Lima to Cuzco
- 2 Help with Logistics for Machu Picchu, please?
- 3 Ecuador Guide Book
- 4 Driving in Bolivia Near La Paz
- 5 Walking The Streets Of Buenos Aires
- 6 Money in Buenos Aires
- 7 Best small group walking/hiking tours
- 8 Solo female travelling around South America
- 9 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 10 Lima-Paracas-Nazca-Huacachina-Lima (bus/drive)
- 11 Family friendly accommodation Iquitos
- 12 Bloomberg now says what yours truly has been saying here for YEARS! LOL!!!
- 13 Buquebus question for AVRooster
- 14 Bus tickets from El Calafate to Puerto Natales (Patagonia) in December?
- 15 Independent travel vs. tour of Buenis Aires
- 16 Touring Iguazu Falls
- 17 A Glimpse Of Paraguay, Itaipu Dam
- 18 Quito: Old city or new?
- 19 Lima Hotel or B&B for family
- 20 Bogota
- 21 Tour guides needed for SugarLoaf and Corcovado? Transfer recs?
- 22 Chile/Patagonia Itinerary Questions
- 23 Hawaii or Rio for single male traveler
- 24 New Years Eve: Rio or Buenos Aires?
- 25 4 weeks in Chile