I have posted once before and had some great help in regards to my questions. I am travelling to South America for one year in November 2013. Originally I was just going to visit Ecuador but flights worked out cheaper to fly into Buenos Aires, Argentina and our from Rio De Janeiro. Yes I am quitting my job to live the dream I have had for years to travel to SA. Now comes the hard part of planning and sorting all of my affairs. No savings when I decided I would do it!! nothing.. just lots of hard work to make this happen.
Unfortunately things have been so crazy with work planning a route has become challenging. I am looking to travel as lightly as possible and see as much as I can. I will be travelling by land and will be more then happy to camp along the way as I have lightweight equipment I can carry easily.
At this stage I am looking into places I think I would like to visit and then I will get a general idea of my itinerary. I would like to get as close as I can to the heart of each country so I am not looking to go to big touristy areas apart from the big ones like Machu Picchu and Galapagos.
With Argentina being the first country on the list I really haven't looked to much into places to visit.
I would like to stay a couple of weeks in Buenos Aires, possibly volunteer at a school/orphanage. I have found a school that takes volunteers, I cant seem to find the site again right now. Its somewhere in my notes. From here I'm really not sure where I will go?
I will definitely go to Iguazu falls and would like to spend some time hiking. I will also spend time WOOFING in Argentina working in organic farms to help save some money and get a taste of farming in the country. I would also like to spend some time rock climbing in Tuzgle.
I definitely want to see the Southern Patagonian Ice Fields.. I'm really looking for places I can explore.
If any one has suggestions or possible route plans I am open as I feel I have bitten off a lot more then I can chew. I like things to be organised yet I don't want to plan things so much and have them change once I arrive.
I will be in Argentina for up to two months. Then move on to Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela and then finally Brazil. I will be spending close to three months in Ecuador as there are a few volunteer programs I wish to work on.
Out of the other countries here are some places I want to visit. If anyone has any suggestions in each country and suggested travel routes this would be greatly appreciated.
Lima- archaeology museums
manu national park
hot springs of Papallacta
Salar de Uyuni- Salt lake
Amazing Grotto: The Enchanted Well, Brazil
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Galapagus July
- 2 AirB&B in Buenos Airies
- 3 Bolivian Visa
- 4 Anyone familiar with Sky Airlines?
- 5 How to count hotel floors in Ecuador?
- 6 8 days in Ecudor
- 7 Cusco and the Sacred Valley
- 8 Looking for photographers in Bogota, Medellin and Cartagena
- 9 Quito, Galapagos and Otavalo
- 10 Going to Peru with 2 kids (9 and 12yrs)
- 11 Galapagos Islands, Machu Picchu, Amazon Rainforest + more
- 12 Galapagos tour one week on a boat
- 13 Galapagos and Machu Pichu Itinerary Suggestions
- 14 Northeast Brazil
- 15 Argentina in 15 days with a toddler: Trip report!
- 16 Lima, Peru - Travel Report
- 17 Galapagos - Family Wildlife Tours
- 18 Best BA neighborhood to stay in?
- 19 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 20 Going to Machu Pichu with 4 children
- 21 Local tour companies in Bolivia
- 22 James Frazer-Mann - Trying to book El Chalten via Plataforma10 ?
- 23 Adventures / full of experince tours in the Ecuadorians
- 24 Lima - driver for hire
- 25 Cordoba-scenic small towns nearby
Route planning- 28 weeks and counting. 1 year South America