I have posted once before and had some great help in regards to my questions. I am travelling to South America for one year in November 2013. Originally I was just going to visit Ecuador but flights worked out cheaper to fly into Buenos Aires, Argentina and our from Rio De Janeiro. Yes I am quitting my job to live the dream I have had for years to travel to SA. Now comes the hard part of planning and sorting all of my affairs. No savings when I decided I would do it!! nothing.. just lots of hard work to make this happen.
Unfortunately things have been so crazy with work planning a route has become challenging. I am looking to travel as lightly as possible and see as much as I can. I will be travelling by land and will be more then happy to camp along the way as I have lightweight equipment I can carry easily.
At this stage I am looking into places I think I would like to visit and then I will get a general idea of my itinerary. I would like to get as close as I can to the heart of each country so I am not looking to go to big touristy areas apart from the big ones like Machu Picchu and Galapagos.
With Argentina being the first country on the list I really haven't looked to much into places to visit.
I would like to stay a couple of weeks in Buenos Aires, possibly volunteer at a school/orphanage. I have found a school that takes volunteers, I cant seem to find the site again right now. Its somewhere in my notes. From here I'm really not sure where I will go?
I will definitely go to Iguazu falls and would like to spend some time hiking. I will also spend time WOOFING in Argentina working in organic farms to help save some money and get a taste of farming in the country. I would also like to spend some time rock climbing in Tuzgle.
I definitely want to see the Southern Patagonian Ice Fields.. I'm really looking for places I can explore.
If any one has suggestions or possible route plans I am open as I feel I have bitten off a lot more then I can chew. I like things to be organised yet I don't want to plan things so much and have them change once I arrive.
I will be in Argentina for up to two months. Then move on to Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela and then finally Brazil. I will be spending close to three months in Ecuador as there are a few volunteer programs I wish to work on.
Out of the other countries here are some places I want to visit. If anyone has any suggestions in each country and suggested travel routes this would be greatly appreciated.
Lima- archaeology museums
manu national park
hot springs of Papallacta
Salar de Uyuni- Salt lake
Amazing Grotto: The Enchanted Well, Brazil
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Huayhuash Circuit in May - good-value trekking companies
- 2 Punta Arenas or Puerto Natales?
- 3 Trip Report : Peru, Bolivia and Argentina
- 4 please help with Argentine Patagonia planning
- 5 Northwest Argentina - Specific Itinerary Questions
- 6 Weight limits on LATAM airlines
- 7 Grey Glacier in Patagonia, Chile
- 8 Quito, Galapagos and Otavalo
- 9 Chile/Patagonia/Torres del Paine/Valparaiso
- 10 2 week Brazil, Argentina and Peru itinerary
- 11 Iquitos
- 12 Peru 3 Week Itinerary Feedback PLS!
- 13 Rainbow mountain trek
- 14 Restaurant Iguazu Falls
- 15 1 Month Backpacking Peru Itinerary Check
- 16 In Celebration of Retiring: A Luxe Trip to Peru
- 17 Escaping the northern hemisphere winter in the Santiago area?
- 18 Brazil/Buzios: Booking bus tickets in advance?
- 19 Family Adventure in Ecuador
- 20 transport to San Antonio De Areco, Argentina
- 21 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 22 Agency to purchase tickets to US
- 23 AllenBrooks- guide/driver in Rio
- 24 Bariloche car rental
- 25 Guide recommendation Cusco Sacred Valley Machu Picchu
Route planning- 28 weeks and counting. 1 year South America