I have posted once before and had some great help in regards to my questions. I am travelling to South America for one year in November 2013. Originally I was just going to visit Ecuador but flights worked out cheaper to fly into Buenos Aires, Argentina and our from Rio De Janeiro. Yes I am quitting my job to live the dream I have had for years to travel to SA. Now comes the hard part of planning and sorting all of my affairs. No savings when I decided I would do it!! nothing.. just lots of hard work to make this happen.
Unfortunately things have been so crazy with work planning a route has become challenging. I am looking to travel as lightly as possible and see as much as I can. I will be travelling by land and will be more then happy to camp along the way as I have lightweight equipment I can carry easily.
At this stage I am looking into places I think I would like to visit and then I will get a general idea of my itinerary. I would like to get as close as I can to the heart of each country so I am not looking to go to big touristy areas apart from the big ones like Machu Picchu and Galapagos.
With Argentina being the first country on the list I really haven't looked to much into places to visit.
I would like to stay a couple of weeks in Buenos Aires, possibly volunteer at a school/orphanage. I have found a school that takes volunteers, I cant seem to find the site again right now. Its somewhere in my notes. From here I'm really not sure where I will go?
I will definitely go to Iguazu falls and would like to spend some time hiking. I will also spend time WOOFING in Argentina working in organic farms to help save some money and get a taste of farming in the country. I would also like to spend some time rock climbing in Tuzgle.
I definitely want to see the Southern Patagonian Ice Fields.. I'm really looking for places I can explore.
If any one has suggestions or possible route plans I am open as I feel I have bitten off a lot more then I can chew. I like things to be organised yet I don't want to plan things so much and have them change once I arrive.
I will be in Argentina for up to two months. Then move on to Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela and then finally Brazil. I will be spending close to three months in Ecuador as there are a few volunteer programs I wish to work on.
Out of the other countries here are some places I want to visit. If anyone has any suggestions in each country and suggested travel routes this would be greatly appreciated.
Lima- archaeology museums
manu national park
hot springs of Papallacta
Salar de Uyuni- Salt lake
Amazing Grotto: The Enchanted Well, Brazil
Route planning- 28 weeks and counting. 1 year South America
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 16 days in Brazil - ideas please
- 2 Ecuador 5 to 6 weeks
- 3 WWYD-time in Lima
- 4 Peru & Altitude Questions
- 5 Argentina Holiday Help
- 6 General Strike in BsAs on Thursday
- 7 Peru and Brazil: A South American Adventure
- 8 GALAPAGOS ISLANDS
- 9 argentina & brazil
- 10 Patagonia...You took our breath away
- 11 Visa Question: U.S. Citizen Flying from Brazil to Bolivia
- 12 General Strike in BsAs on Thursday
- 13 Peru jungle – looking for wildlife/comfort balance
- 14 Valpariso or Vina del Mar for sr citizens - two nights
- 15 Where to stay in Rio before a Cruise?
- 16 First Time to Peru: Need Help with Child-Friendly Itinerary
- 17 2-week Peru itinerary - any advice or recommended changes?
- 18 Packing for Peru in August - Recommendations?
- 19 Brazil/Buzios: Booking bus tickets in advance?
- 20 2 wks in Colombia
- 21 Dentist in Buenos Aires
- 22 iguaza falls
- 23 Lost andean immigration card for Ecuador - problem on exit?
- 24 Buenos Aries
- 25 Tour guide for Machu Picchu