I have posted once before and had some great help in regards to my questions. I am travelling to South America for one year in November 2013. Originally I was just going to visit Ecuador but flights worked out cheaper to fly into Buenos Aires, Argentina and our from Rio De Janeiro. Yes I am quitting my job to live the dream I have had for years to travel to SA. Now comes the hard part of planning and sorting all of my affairs. No savings when I decided I would do it!! nothing.. just lots of hard work to make this happen.
Unfortunately things have been so crazy with work planning a route has become challenging. I am looking to travel as lightly as possible and see as much as I can. I will be travelling by land and will be more then happy to camp along the way as I have lightweight equipment I can carry easily.
At this stage I am looking into places I think I would like to visit and then I will get a general idea of my itinerary. I would like to get as close as I can to the heart of each country so I am not looking to go to big touristy areas apart from the big ones like Machu Picchu and Galapagos.
With Argentina being the first country on the list I really haven't looked to much into places to visit.
I would like to stay a couple of weeks in Buenos Aires, possibly volunteer at a school/orphanage. I have found a school that takes volunteers, I cant seem to find the site again right now. Its somewhere in my notes. From here I'm really not sure where I will go?
I will definitely go to Iguazu falls and would like to spend some time hiking. I will also spend time WOOFING in Argentina working in organic farms to help save some money and get a taste of farming in the country. I would also like to spend some time rock climbing in Tuzgle.
I definitely want to see the Southern Patagonian Ice Fields.. I'm really looking for places I can explore.
If any one has suggestions or possible route plans I am open as I feel I have bitten off a lot more then I can chew. I like things to be organised yet I don't want to plan things so much and have them change once I arrive.
I will be in Argentina for up to two months. Then move on to Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela and then finally Brazil. I will be spending close to three months in Ecuador as there are a few volunteer programs I wish to work on.
Out of the other countries here are some places I want to visit. If anyone has any suggestions in each country and suggested travel routes this would be greatly appreciated.
Lima- archaeology museums
manu national park
hot springs of Papallacta
Salar de Uyuni- Salt lake
Amazing Grotto: The Enchanted Well, Brazil
Route planning- 28 weeks and counting. 1 year South America
- 1 Iquitos, Gateway to the Peruvian Amazon rain forest
- 2 Practical to combine Amazon + beaches with visit to the Guianas?
- 3 Celebrating A Century Of Flight
- 4 Problems with emails USA-Brazil
- 5 how to get to San Pedro de Atacama, Chile
- 6 8 Days in Brazil
- 7 Need Help with Itinerary (2.5 Months) (Indian Passport)
- 8 Carribean to Argentina or Uruguay
- 9 Flight and Lodging in Manaus and Rio
- 10 Where to celebrate the New Year ?
- 11 To Buenos Aires and beyond
- 12 Lower savings with the "blue" exchange rate?
- 13 Peru Hop?
- 14 3 days before Cuzco/Machu Picchu - what to do, where to go
- 15 "Up to" 40% discount on LAN flights around South America today only
- 16 Uruguay Re-Do
- 17 Montevideo, Uruguay
- 18 60 Hours in Buenos Aires: Blue Dollar Heaven
- 19 More suggested reading
- 20 Please help me jump-start planning for Galapagos trip
- 21 Peru Best Tours: Buyers Beware
- 22 Bariloche over XMas
- 23 Quark Expeditions 50% off sale - Antarctica 2014
- 24 Traveling with a Computer?
- 25 Christmas Day in Buenos Aires