I have posted once before and had some great help in regards to my questions. I am travelling to South America for one year in November 2013. Originally I was just going to visit Ecuador but flights worked out cheaper to fly into Buenos Aires, Argentina and our from Rio De Janeiro. Yes I am quitting my job to live the dream I have had for years to travel to SA. Now comes the hard part of planning and sorting all of my affairs. No savings when I decided I would do it!! nothing.. just lots of hard work to make this happen.
Unfortunately things have been so crazy with work planning a route has become challenging. I am looking to travel as lightly as possible and see as much as I can. I will be travelling by land and will be more then happy to camp along the way as I have lightweight equipment I can carry easily.
At this stage I am looking into places I think I would like to visit and then I will get a general idea of my itinerary. I would like to get as close as I can to the heart of each country so I am not looking to go to big touristy areas apart from the big ones like Machu Picchu and Galapagos.
With Argentina being the first country on the list I really haven't looked to much into places to visit.
I would like to stay a couple of weeks in Buenos Aires, possibly volunteer at a school/orphanage. I have found a school that takes volunteers, I cant seem to find the site again right now. Its somewhere in my notes. From here I'm really not sure where I will go?
I will definitely go to Iguazu falls and would like to spend some time hiking. I will also spend time WOOFING in Argentina working in organic farms to help save some money and get a taste of farming in the country. I would also like to spend some time rock climbing in Tuzgle.
I definitely want to see the Southern Patagonian Ice Fields.. I'm really looking for places I can explore.
If any one has suggestions or possible route plans I am open as I feel I have bitten off a lot more then I can chew. I like things to be organised yet I don't want to plan things so much and have them change once I arrive.
I will be in Argentina for up to two months. Then move on to Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela and then finally Brazil. I will be spending close to three months in Ecuador as there are a few volunteer programs I wish to work on.
Out of the other countries here are some places I want to visit. If anyone has any suggestions in each country and suggested travel routes this would be greatly appreciated.
Lima- archaeology museums
manu national park
hot springs of Papallacta
Salar de Uyuni- Salt lake
Amazing Grotto: The Enchanted Well, Brazil
Route planning- 28 weeks and counting. 1 year South America
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 argentina & brazil
- 2 Brazilian music
- 3 Christmas in Cusco
- 4 Colombia, Safe Travels from Cartagena to Santa Marta Area
- 5 Blue dollars in Argentina
- 6 Ecuador 5 to 6 weeks
- 7 Colombia Trip Report - Very Long
- 8 Itinerary Help Peru>Bolivia>Chile>Argentina>Brazil
- 9 HELP! Seeking a teaching job down south
- 10 First Leg of retirement Triperu
- 11 The WSJ says it is cheap to eat out in BA - So, what's new????
- 12 Worth staying extra night in Buenos Aires, esp Monday night?
- 13 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 14 Change Hotel Locations in Buenos Aires
- 15 Sacred Valley Itinerary Review?
- 16 Please check Buenos Aires itinerary
- 17 Private sightseeing
- 18 Bloomberg now says what yours truly has been saying here for YEARS! LOL!!!
- 19 Brazilian Professionals Visiting New York
- 20 Honeymoon 9 Days in South America
- 21 Argentina-country's financial woes impact a trip?
- 22 private sightseeing
- 23 private tour options
- 24 Currency Woes
- 25 Trek/Tour companies recommendations