fairly hypothetically speaking, I have been interested in road tripping the South American continent over a 12 to 18 month period for some time and figure should start doing some more digging. I have done chile and argentina before on bus travel so know some of what to expect. I’d just like to get any info on offer on acquiring a 4×4 vehicle and beginning in columbia rounding the conitinent and finishing in Rio. along the coast but zigzagging quite a lot through peru and bolivia. Can anyone give an estimate on finances for a self driven long term trip, difficulties with roads and vehicles, and even info on how much(is it possible) to skip tours and do self driven trips to places like salar de uyuni and san pedro de atacama. How easy is finding camp sites and do you save much money camping. Is it possible to acquire sponsors for gear and accomadation and/or earn money blogging etc? any insight would be much appreciated. thanks
Road tripping the continent
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Lima Hotel or B&B for family
- 2 Touring Iguazu Falls
- 3 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 4 Lima-Paracas-Nazca-Huacachina-Lima (bus/drive)
- 5 Bogota
- 6 Tour guides needed for SugarLoaf and Corcovado? Transfer recs?
- 7 Independent travel vs. tour of Buenis Aires
- 8 Chile/Patagonia Itinerary Questions
- 9 Hawaii or Rio for single male traveler
- 10 New Years Eve: Rio or Buenos Aires?
- 11 4 weeks in Chile
- 12 Lima-Paracas-Nazca: in 1 day?
- 13 New Year's Eve in Lima
- 14 Bogota - Is it safe?
- 15 Para Ti, Brazil
- 16 Advice needed for Colombia
- 17 Chile and Argentina
- 18 To Iguazu Falls, No Time To Tango
- 19 2nd Leg Retirement Trip
- 20 In Celebration of Retiring: A Luxe Trip to Peru
- 21 Buenos Aires GTG, Tuesday, Jan.13
- 22 El valle de Elquí
- 23 Need a "just in case" Buenos Aires restaurant recommendation
- 24 Columbia Questions
- 25 Planning 3 weeks in Columbia