fairly hypothetically speaking, I have been interested in road tripping the South American continent over a 12 to 18 month period for some time and figure should start doing some more digging. I have done chile and argentina before on bus travel so know some of what to expect. I’d just like to get any info on offer on acquiring a 4×4 vehicle and beginning in columbia rounding the conitinent and finishing in Rio. along the coast but zigzagging quite a lot through peru and bolivia. Can anyone give an estimate on finances for a self driven long term trip, difficulties with roads and vehicles, and even info on how much(is it possible) to skip tours and do self driven trips to places like salar de uyuni and san pedro de atacama. How easy is finding camp sites and do you save much money camping. Is it possible to acquire sponsors for gear and accomadation and/or earn money blogging etc? any insight would be much appreciated. thanks
Road tripping the continent
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Peru and Brazil: A South American Adventure
- 2 Brazil/Buzios: Booking bus tickets in advance?
- 3 Ecuador 5 to 6 weeks
- 4 Packing for Peru in August - Recommendations?
- 5 2 wks in Colombia
- 6 Dentist in Buenos Aires
- 7 Peru & Altitude Questions
- 8 iguaza falls
- 9 Argentina Holiday Help
- 10 Lost andean immigration card for Ecuador - problem on exit?
- 11 Buenos Aries
- 12 Tour guide for Machu Picchu
- 13 Travel to Ecuador in pregnancy
- 14 14 days in Brazil mid-december through New Year's Eve- help please
- 15 Peru jungle – looking for wildlife/comfort balance
- 16 cheap flights to paraguay
- 17 Lake Titicaca and Puno - advice on itinerary and altitude sickness?
- 18 Amazon River & surrounds: How much is practical in 3 weeks?
- 19 CHILE, please help me in planning our trip.....
- 20 I SURVIVED PERU (subtitle: yes, it's safe for a solo female traveler)
- 21 Obtaining a visa while abroad
- 22 2-week Peru itinerary - any advice or recommended changes?
- 23 Transport in and around Peru (buses/taxis) - safety
- 24 Getting from Punta Arenas, Chile, to Ushuaia, Argentina
- 25 Peru - best way to handle money? Bring a lot of cash for exchange or ATMs?