fairly hypothetically speaking, I have been interested in road tripping the South American continent over a 12 to 18 month period for some time and figure should start doing some more digging. I have done chile and argentina before on bus travel so know some of what to expect. I’d just like to get any info on offer on acquiring a 4×4 vehicle and beginning in columbia rounding the conitinent and finishing in Rio. along the coast but zigzagging quite a lot through peru and bolivia. Can anyone give an estimate on finances for a self driven long term trip, difficulties with roads and vehicles, and even info on how much(is it possible) to skip tours and do self driven trips to places like salar de uyuni and san pedro de atacama. How easy is finding camp sites and do you save much money camping. Is it possible to acquire sponsors for gear and accomadation and/or earn money blogging etc? any insight would be much appreciated. thanks
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Cusco area and Machu Picchu guide
- 2 Best BA neighborhood to stay in?
- 3 Is the Perito Moreno Glacier worth paying $200+ to walk on?
- 4 Argentina with a touch of Chile and some help needed
- 5 Galápagos Islands: Yacht Angelito
- 6 Avianca business class
- 7 Planning Argentina Trip
- 8 Trip Report Chile: A Country of Diverse and Amazing Beauty...
- 9 where to stay Buenos Aires
- 10 Aboard the Amazon Star
- 11 Feria de las flores
- 12 Which Amazon area/lodge in Peru?
- 13 Brazilian Visa Documents - Help!
- 14 Escaping the northern hemisphere winter in the Santiago area?
- 15 comments
- 16 Cusco to La Paz Priorities: Puno VS Copacabana VS La Paz VS Coroico
- 17 3 days precruise-stay in Santiago all 3 or 2 SCL and 1 Valparaiso?
- 18 Huacachina, Peru
- 19 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 20 Trip Report - First time in Buenos Aires/Iguazu Falls/Rio de Janeiro
- 21 Pantanal Lodges
- 22 What's all the hype about Buenos Aires?
- 23 Manaus
- 24 Renting a car in Patagonia
- 25 Suenos Aires, Argentina vs Lisbon, Portugal