I have a trip planned for me and DW for 9 days during the Thanksgiving break. We are 32 and 28 and vegetarians.
Below is the itinerary. I would really appreciate any guidance and suggestions on the plan.
1) We reach Rio on Nov 23rd at 11:20am from Houston. I have reserved the Windsor Martinique as suggested by indiancouple. It seems to be located between the Ipanema and Copacabana strips, so I think it will be a great location. We plan to spend 3 days in Rio checking the sights, enjoying the night life and getting some samba lessons. Might even catch a football game if we could score some tickets.
2) We leave Rio by TAM on Nov 27th at 10am and reach Foz Do Iguazu at noon. The plan is to go straight to the falls, leave our luggage in the lockers at the souvenier shop as siggested by indiancouple and see the brazilian side of the falls. We plan to take the bus to town in the evening and check in at the Best Western Taroba Hotel which is a quick walk from the bus stop.
3) On Nov 28th, we take the bus from Foz Do Iguazu to Puerto Iguazu to cross the border at 8am. I believe that we have go get stamping at both the Brazil and Argentine borders as we have Indian Passports. After reaching Puerto Iguazu bus stop, we plan to check in at Hotel Jardin De Iguazu and then catch a bus to the falls on the Argentine side for the rest of the day. We plan to return to the hotel in the evening.
4) On Nov 29th, we catch the 10am Aerolineas Argentinas flight from Iguazu, AR to AEP Airport at BA. Check in at Howard Johnson Hotel Boutique in Recoleta neighborhood. Spend the next 2.5 days enjoying BA.
5) Catch flight at 10pm from EZE on Dec 1 to return to Houston.
1) Does this itinerary sound reasonable. 3.5 days in Rio, 2 days in Iguazu and 2.5 days in BA.
2) Are the hotels and locations good. All flights are non stop.
3) Crossing the border at Iguazu seems to be reasonable. Is there any gotcha that I should be aware of. We have Indian passports and Green Cards and will get visas for both Argentina and Brazil.
4) I plan to get the Eyewitness top 10 travel guide for BA and Rio to choose the top sites to visit. Outside the top sites, are there any must do that we should try? Are there any top sites not worth the time and effort?
5) Any suggestions for vegetarian restaurants.
6) We are quite adventurous but want to be safe. Do we need tour guides or can we go exploring on our own in BA and Rio at the main tourist sites.
7) What is a good place to get the blue exchange rate in Puerto Iguazu.
Thank you very much. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Also thansk to the trip report by indiancouple for a lot of helpful hints.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Iguazu Falls-"Best" Way to Reach/See
- 2 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 3 Travel with Children to Galapagos
- 4 Help us plan our dream SA trip!
- 5 Seek Suggestions on Trip to Machu Picchu
- 6 Avenue of Volcanoes
- 7 Waterfalls near Puyo, Tena, and Baeza in Ecuador
- 8 Best Trek in Peru? (Huayhuash Circuit vs Inca Trail)
- 9 Bariloche car rental
- 10 Trip Report: Studying Spanish in Quito and Cuenca 2007
- 11 Galapagos and Machu Pichu Itinerary Suggestions
- 12 Machu Picchu in January
- 13 Dining in Medellin
- 14 Medellin's hidden Parque is lovely
- 15 Christmastime in Santiago/Valparaiso - what to do, where to stay
- 16 Colca Canyon Earthquake
- 17 Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca), Peru
- 18 10 days in Santiago, Easter Islands, San pedro de atacama, doable?
- 19 santiago chile area
- 20 Beach walk in Rio - Copacabana or Ipanema?
- 21 Reflections on our South America trip
- 22 One Day in Santiago/Tour Guide
- 23 Driving from Santiago to Peurto Montt
- 24 Chile: first cut a travel plan
- 25 Argentina and Bolivia in February and March?