I have a trip planned for me and DW for 9 days during the Thanksgiving break. We are 32 and 28 and vegetarians.
Below is the itinerary. I would really appreciate any guidance and suggestions on the plan.
1) We reach Rio on Nov 23rd at 11:20am from Houston. I have reserved the Windsor Martinique as suggested by indiancouple. It seems to be located between the Ipanema and Copacabana strips, so I think it will be a great location. We plan to spend 3 days in Rio checking the sights, enjoying the night life and getting some samba lessons. Might even catch a football game if we could score some tickets.
2) We leave Rio by TAM on Nov 27th at 10am and reach Foz Do Iguazu at noon. The plan is to go straight to the falls, leave our luggage in the lockers at the souvenier shop as siggested by indiancouple and see the brazilian side of the falls. We plan to take the bus to town in the evening and check in at the Best Western Taroba Hotel which is a quick walk from the bus stop.
3) On Nov 28th, we take the bus from Foz Do Iguazu to Puerto Iguazu to cross the border at 8am. I believe that we have go get stamping at both the Brazil and Argentine borders as we have Indian Passports. After reaching Puerto Iguazu bus stop, we plan to check in at Hotel Jardin De Iguazu and then catch a bus to the falls on the Argentine side for the rest of the day. We plan to return to the hotel in the evening.
4) On Nov 29th, we catch the 10am Aerolineas Argentinas flight from Iguazu, AR to AEP Airport at BA. Check in at Howard Johnson Hotel Boutique in Recoleta neighborhood. Spend the next 2.5 days enjoying BA.
5) Catch flight at 10pm from EZE on Dec 1 to return to Houston.
1) Does this itinerary sound reasonable. 3.5 days in Rio, 2 days in Iguazu and 2.5 days in BA.
2) Are the hotels and locations good. All flights are non stop.
3) Crossing the border at Iguazu seems to be reasonable. Is there any gotcha that I should be aware of. We have Indian passports and Green Cards and will get visas for both Argentina and Brazil.
4) I plan to get the Eyewitness top 10 travel guide for BA and Rio to choose the top sites to visit. Outside the top sites, are there any must do that we should try? Are there any top sites not worth the time and effort?
5) Any suggestions for vegetarian restaurants.
6) We are quite adventurous but want to be safe. Do we need tour guides or can we go exploring on our own in BA and Rio at the main tourist sites.
7) What is a good place to get the blue exchange rate in Puerto Iguazu.
Thank you very much. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Also thansk to the trip report by indiancouple for a lot of helpful hints.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Villa de Leyva - a week too much and other questions..
- 2 Argentina in October--more questions
- 3 Our new government to promote foreign tourism
- 4 Spontaneity in Cusco activities possible?
- 5 Southward Ho! Adventures in Chile & ARG
- 6 Rio de Janeiro in March
- 7 South America this October
- 8 Chile or Argentina?
- 9 11 hours in Lima
- 10 Transportation: Cusco Airport to Ollantaytamba train station
- 11 Cusco and Machu Picchu
- 12 Villa de Leyva - a week too much and other questions..
- 13 Machu Picchu - any good hiking guide companies?
- 14 Galápagos Islands: Yacht Angelito
- 15 Itinerary Help Brazil 10 days
- 16 Antarctica on the Vavilov-How to book?
- 17 Peru in December
- 18 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 19 Tarapoto
- 20 Some Nature/Bird Lodges in Colombia
- 21 Buenos Aires/Argentina 10+ Day, Solo Woman Traveler
- 22 A brief encounter with Ecuador
- 23 Extra two days In Cusco or Lima..Early September
- 24 Need some help in getting started-first vacation to South America!
- 25 Hiking in Ecuador: Water and Clothing Advice Please