My friend and I will be travelling to Rio in June. We are two young women and want to be safe but also see some less touristy areas and enjoy traditional food. We aren't sure exactly where we are staying but will stick to somewhere on the subway route as other commenters said it was the most convenient and safe We are planning to go to Ipanema beach, Sugar Loaf Mountain, and the art museums. Is Lapa safe to go out at night? It sounds very fun but some commenters say it is not safe and some recommend sticking to the main streets. We are more worried about violence than petty theft. Do any locals or travellers have restaurant recommendations? Or any neighbourhoods that have fun things to do and see that are under the radar?
Marika and Alanna
Rio Advice for 2 Young Women
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 8 Days in Peru
- 2 Wet suits in Galapagos
- 3 Pisco Dreams; Nine Days in the Sacred Valley, Cusco and Lima
- 4 Hostels in Oruro during Carnaval?
- 5 Tupiza to Tilcara
- 6 Travel with my boyfriend of 4 years to Brazil!
- 7 Anniversary of 9/11/01
- 8 2 weeks Ecuador, no car, flying to Guayaquil, most accessible places to go?
- 9 Peru and Brazil: A South American Adventure
- 10 Transportation in Ecuador
- 11 NW of Argentina
- 12 adventure tour on the Amazon
- 13 Amazon Rainforest Indigenous Peoples
- 14 Ten days in Ecuador
- 15 amazon jungle trips
- 16 Amazon lodges or cruises
- 17 Trip report/blog - Machu Picchu and the Amazon Rainforest
- 18 Urgent Help Required Regarding International Transit Through Brazil.
- 19 Lost andean immigration card for Ecuador - problem on exit?
- 20 Dollars, sols or credit cards in Peru?
- 21 Peru versus Bolivia
- 22 Need advise for Argentina and surrounding areas in May??
- 23 Enchanting-South America-tour companies
- 24 altitude sickness (Bolivia vs. Peru)
- 25 Need help in where to stay in Mendoza in December