My friend and I will be travelling to Rio in June. We are two young women and want to be safe but also see some less touristy areas and enjoy traditional food. We aren't sure exactly where we are staying but will stick to somewhere on the subway route as other commenters said it was the most convenient and safe We are planning to go to Ipanema beach, Sugar Loaf Mountain, and the art museums. Is Lapa safe to go out at night? It sounds very fun but some commenters say it is not safe and some recommend sticking to the main streets. We are more worried about violence than petty theft. Do any locals or travellers have restaurant recommendations? Or any neighbourhoods that have fun things to do and see that are under the radar?
Marika and Alanna
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Best BA neighborhood to stay in?
- 2 Cruz del Sur bus - Lima to Paracas
- 3 Nduka Okoye - Five star accommodation in Colombia
- 4 South American city for 2 female travelers to visit mid June?
- 5 Machu Picchu train - luggage limits?
- 6 One week in Cartagena?
- 7 Can USA citizens avoid hotel taxes?
- 8 Lunahuana
- 9 Lima-Cusco-Ollantaytambo-Machu Picchu first timers
- 10 Hiking Tour Companies - Machu Picchu & Chile
- 11 Argentina in 15 days with a toddler: Trip report!
- 12 Cordoba-scenic small towns nearby
- 13 Family Adventure in Ecuador
- 14 Exploring the cities of Ecuador's Andes
- 15 Choquequirao Questions
- 16 Trip Report to BsAs and Patagonia (With Pics and Vids)
- 17 MARCHU PICCHU
- 18 Santiago > Valparaiso: worth driving?
- 19 What type of currency for Bolivia
- 20 Cordoba horseback riding day trip
- 21 Thoughts on our itinerary?
- 22 Agency to purchase tickets to US
- 23 Chile/Patagonia/Torres del Paine/Valparaiso
- 24 Ecuador Pure Life (tour operator) - very negative experience
- 25 Need Dinner recommendations for 12 Peru trip