My friend and I will be travelling to Rio in June. We are two young women and want to be safe but also see some less touristy areas and enjoy traditional food. We aren't sure exactly where we are staying but will stick to somewhere on the subway route as other commenters said it was the most convenient and safe We are planning to go to Ipanema beach, Sugar Loaf Mountain, and the art museums. Is Lapa safe to go out at night? It sounds very fun but some commenters say it is not safe and some recommend sticking to the main streets. We are more worried about violence than petty theft. Do any locals or travellers have restaurant recommendations? Or any neighbourhoods that have fun things to do and see that are under the radar?
Marika and Alanna
Rio Advice for 2 Young Women
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 16 days in Brazil - ideas please
- 2 Peru and Brazil: A South American Adventure
- 3 Ecuador 5 to 6 weeks
- 4 WWYD-time in Lima
- 5 Peru & Altitude Questions
- 6 Argentina Holiday Help
- 7 General Strike in BsAs on Thursday
- 8 GALAPAGOS ISLANDS
- 9 argentina & brazil
- 10 Patagonia...You took our breath away
- 11 Visa Question: U.S. Citizen Flying from Brazil to Bolivia
- 12 General Strike in BsAs on Thursday
- 13 Peru jungle – looking for wildlife/comfort balance
- 14 Valpariso or Vina del Mar for sr citizens - two nights
- 15 Where to stay in Rio before a Cruise?
- 16 First Time to Peru: Need Help with Child-Friendly Itinerary
- 17 2-week Peru itinerary - any advice or recommended changes?
- 18 Packing for Peru in August - Recommendations?
- 19 Brazil/Buzios: Booking bus tickets in advance?
- 20 2 wks in Colombia
- 21 Dentist in Buenos Aires
- 22 iguaza falls
- 23 Lost andean immigration card for Ecuador - problem on exit?
- 24 Buenos Aries
- 25 Tour guide for Machu Picchu