My friend and I will be travelling to Rio in June. We are two young women and want to be safe but also see some less touristy areas and enjoy traditional food. We aren't sure exactly where we are staying but will stick to somewhere on the subway route as other commenters said it was the most convenient and safe We are planning to go to Ipanema beach, Sugar Loaf Mountain, and the art museums. Is Lapa safe to go out at night? It sounds very fun but some commenters say it is not safe and some recommend sticking to the main streets. We are more worried about violence than petty theft. Do any locals or travellers have restaurant recommendations? Or any neighbourhoods that have fun things to do and see that are under the radar?
Marika and Alanna
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Inline tickets for Machu Picchu
- 2 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 3 Visiting Iguazu Falls From Rio
- 4 Iguazu Falls-"Best" Way to Reach/See
- 5 Travel with Children to Galapagos
- 6 Help us plan our dream SA trip!
- 7 Seek Suggestions on Trip to Machu Picchu
- 8 Avenue of Volcanoes
- 9 Waterfalls near Puyo, Tena, and Baeza in Ecuador
- 10 Best Trek in Peru? (Huayhuash Circuit vs Inca Trail)
- 11 Bariloche car rental
- 12 Trip Report: Studying Spanish in Quito and Cuenca 2007
- 13 Galapagos and Machu Pichu Itinerary Suggestions
- 14 Machu Picchu in January
- 15 Dining in Medellin
- 16 Medellin's hidden Parque is lovely
- 17 Christmastime in Santiago/Valparaiso - what to do, where to stay
- 18 Colca Canyon Earthquake
- 19 Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca), Peru
- 20 10 days in Santiago, Easter Islands, San pedro de atacama, doable?
- 21 santiago chile area
- 22 Beach walk in Rio - Copacabana or Ipanema?
- 23 Reflections on our South America trip
- 24 One Day in Santiago/Tour Guide
- 25 Driving from Santiago to Peurto Montt