My friend and I will be travelling to Rio in June. We are two young women and want to be safe but also see some less touristy areas and enjoy traditional food. We aren't sure exactly where we are staying but will stick to somewhere on the subway route as other commenters said it was the most convenient and safe We are planning to go to Ipanema beach, Sugar Loaf Mountain, and the art museums. Is Lapa safe to go out at night? It sounds very fun but some commenters say it is not safe and some recommend sticking to the main streets. We are more worried about violence than petty theft. Do any locals or travellers have restaurant recommendations? Or any neighbourhoods that have fun things to do and see that are under the radar?
Marika and Alanna
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Backroads or Nat Geo hiking Patagonia
- 2 Customs hassles after an estancia stay?
- 3 advice about traveling in Peru
- 4 Our ATMs to give 500 and 100 peso bills
- 5 Need and advise about where to go in Bolivia
- 6 Is it worth the Brazil visa to see the Falls?
- 7 help to plan a budget trip in south america
- 8 Rio de Janeiro in March
- 9 Spontaneity in Cusco activities possible?
- 10 Villa de Leyva - a week too much and other questions..
- 11 Southward Ho! Adventures in Chile & ARG
- 12 Argentina in October--more questions
- 13 Our new government to promote foreign tourism
- 14 South America this October
- 15 Chile or Argentina?
- 16 11 hours in Lima
- 17 Transportation: Cusco Airport to Ollantaytamba train station
- 18 Cusco and Machu Picchu
- 19 Villa de Leyva - a week too much and other questions..
- 20 Machu Picchu - any good hiking guide companies?
- 21 Galápagos Islands: Yacht Angelito
- 22 Itinerary Help Brazil 10 days
- 23 Antarctica on the Vavilov-How to book?
- 24 Peru in December
- 25 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta