My friend and I will be travelling to Rio in June. We are two young women and want to be safe but also see some less touristy areas and enjoy traditional food. We aren't sure exactly where we are staying but will stick to somewhere on the subway route as other commenters said it was the most convenient and safe We are planning to go to Ipanema beach, Sugar Loaf Mountain, and the art museums. Is Lapa safe to go out at night? It sounds very fun but some commenters say it is not safe and some recommend sticking to the main streets. We are more worried about violence than petty theft. Do any locals or travellers have restaurant recommendations? Or any neighbourhoods that have fun things to do and see that are under the radar?
Marika and Alanna
Rio Advice for 2 Young Women
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Lima-Paracas-Nazca-Huacachina-Lima (bus/drive)
- 2 Hawaii or Rio for single male traveler
- 3 Chile/Patagonia Itinerary Questions
- 4 New Years Eve: Rio or Buenos Aires?
- 5 Tour guides needed for SugarLoaf and Corcovado? Transfer recs?
- 6 4 weeks in Chile
- 7 Lima-Paracas-Nazca: in 1 day?
- 8 New Year's Eve in Lima
- 9 Bogota - Is it safe?
- 10 Para Ti, Brazil
- 11 Advice needed for Colombia
- 12 Chile and Argentina
- 13 To Iguazu Falls, No Time To Tango
- 14 2nd Leg Retirement Trip
- 15 In Celebration of Retiring: A Luxe Trip to Peru
- 16 Buenos Aires GTG, Tuesday, Jan.13
- 17 El valle de Elquí
- 18 Need a "just in case" Buenos Aires restaurant recommendation
- 19 Columbia Questions
- 20 Bogota
- 21 Planning 3 weeks in Columbia
- 22 Bus tickets from El Calafate to Puerto Natales (Patagonia) in December?
- 23 Jewish sites and tour of Buenos Aires?
- 24 Patagonia Trip Report: Kayaking, Riding and Hiking in the South
- 25 Galapagos in 5 days