My friend and I will be travelling to Rio in June. We are two young women and want to be safe but also see some less touristy areas and enjoy traditional food. We aren't sure exactly where we are staying but will stick to somewhere on the subway route as other commenters said it was the most convenient and safe We are planning to go to Ipanema beach, Sugar Loaf Mountain, and the art museums. Is Lapa safe to go out at night? It sounds very fun but some commenters say it is not safe and some recommend sticking to the main streets. We are more worried about violence than petty theft. Do any locals or travellers have restaurant recommendations? Or any neighbourhoods that have fun things to do and see that are under the radar?
Marika and Alanna
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Need Lima restaurant recs
- 2 top grade medical marijuana and Oils for patients and smokers
- 3 Southern Bolivia from Northwest Argentina?
- 4 Spring Break Trip to Peru in Mid-March!
- 5 Beach walk in Rio - Copacabana or Ipanema?
- 6 Expat meet up.
- 7 Mindo places with comfortable beds and flexible menus?
- 8 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 9 Trip Report - 2 Weeks in Peru, July 2016
- 10 Ecuador weather forecast - is it accurate?
- 11 Exciting Times in Colombia
- 12 Day Trip Ideas from Rio...
- 13 Best place to exchange USD for Peso
- 14 Galapagos - 11 full days
- 15 Sixty days in Colombia
- 16 Video from Chile (Chiloé & Volcan Calbuco)
- 17 Colca Canyon Earthquake
- 18 Sketching Out a Rough Itinerary - First Trip to South America
- 19 2 Weeks in Colombia & the Galapagos Islands
- 20 Car rental El Calafate and drop off in Chile
- 21 Lima Foodie Resource(s)
- 22 Argentina - Day trips in Ushuaia
- 23 Iguazu Falls -- 2 nights -- do we have it right?
- 24 Booking sites - HELP! Don't want to be scammed
- 25 summer olympics in Rio