We are starting to plan a return trip to Brazil in 2015 to see the Amazon and Northern beaches. We anticipate having three weeks this visit and have already spent time in the Pantanal, Rio, Buzios, Recife, Salvador (plus a few more areas I'm forgetting).
We are experienced travelers in the---shall we say ---"mature" category.
Couple of preliminary questions to pose to Fodorites for which I have received some conflicting information.
~~what are the pros/cons of taking a several day river cruise versus using a river lodge as a base with day trips to jungle, river, etc.? Recommendations would be appreciated.
~~Manaus seems to be the usual flying in/jumping off spot, but it certainly doesn't sound terribly appealing (would be delighted to learn differently).
~~any thoughts on how best to allocate time to incorporate some of the good swimming beaches near Fortaleza and Natal?
~~I have longed to see Fernando de Noronha but have occasionally heard it is simply not worth the expense.
~~Has anyone combined a trip in this region with, say...French Guiana? Suriname? Guyana?
~~I understand that LAN airlines has recently started flying from SFO to Manaus, and I will be exploring OneWorld connections from the West Coast in order to avoid MIA if at all possible
Thanks for any input, feedback or suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Santiago > Valparaiso: worth driving?
- 2 Trip Report Ecuador
- 3 zika to cancel or not to cancel
- 4 Brief Notes on a February in Ecuador
- 5 The Travel Cartel Go to Colombia
- 6 Chile, Ecuadoror Columbia
- 7 Trip Report..Bolivia (Titikaka, La Paz, Uyuni, Potosi, Sucre) Nov. 2011
- 8 Day trips from Montevideo
- 9 H Stern Jewelers, Brazil
- 10 some practical tips for Buenos Aires and day trips
- 11 Itinerary - Peru, Bolivia, Argentina Query
- 12 Driving tips and suggestions for Torres del Paine
- 13 Help with 3 Week Itinerary
- 14 2 Weeks in South America- Need advice
- 15 Itinerary help - Argentina and....?
- 16 Ecuador, Places to shop
- 17 Only one day in Quito recommendations.
- 18 3 Days/2 Night Treks to Machu Picchu
- 19 Sacred Valley/Inca Trail April 2015 Trip Report
- 20 Booking the Grey Glacier Boat Tour
- 21 Volunteering in South America, maybe Peru?
- 22 Atacama and ????
- 23 Departure Tax leaving Colombia
- 24 Travel to Peru in 2 weeks
- 25 How Long Before departure @Bogota Airport Arrival Time
Practical to combine Amazon + beaches with visit to the Guianas?