We are starting to plan a return trip to Brazil in 2015 to see the Amazon and Northern beaches. We anticipate having three weeks this visit and have already spent time in the Pantanal, Rio, Buzios, Recife, Salvador (plus a few more areas I'm forgetting).
We are experienced travelers in the---shall we say ---"mature" category.
Couple of preliminary questions to pose to Fodorites for which I have received some conflicting information.
~~what are the pros/cons of taking a several day river cruise versus using a river lodge as a base with day trips to jungle, river, etc.? Recommendations would be appreciated.
~~Manaus seems to be the usual flying in/jumping off spot, but it certainly doesn't sound terribly appealing (would be delighted to learn differently).
~~any thoughts on how best to allocate time to incorporate some of the good swimming beaches near Fortaleza and Natal?
~~I have longed to see Fernando de Noronha but have occasionally heard it is simply not worth the expense.
~~Has anyone combined a trip in this region with, say...French Guiana? Suriname? Guyana?
~~I understand that LAN airlines has recently started flying from SFO to Manaus, and I will be exploring OneWorld connections from the West Coast in order to avoid MIA if at all possible
Thanks for any input, feedback or suggestions.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 VERIZON Reset password CONTACT ☎ 1:8OO:540:6830 VERIZON Technical SUPP0RT
- 2 How many days in Medellin area?
- 3 Peru Trip for the Family
- 4 Pisco sours
- 5 60-yr old female going solo to Rio - itinerary
- 6 Huayhuash Trecking 8-16th of july
- 7 Medellin, Colombia - Great Driver
- 8 Looking For Intensive Spanish Immersion Course
- 9 Cusco and the Sacred Valley
- 10 Machu Picchu changes its entry schedule
- 11 Lodging by Medellin Airport
- 12 Argentinian Honeymoon
- 13 Finding a group to hike with
- 14 Buenos Aires, Patagonia hike, Uraguay beach and Iguazu idea feedback needed
- 15 Torres del Paine from Punta Arenas
- 16 Chilean Travel Agent Suggestions Needed
- 17 Galapagus July
- 18 The Atacama Desert
- 19 Best BA neighborhood to stay in?
- 20 AirB&B in Buenos Airies
- 21 2 day Inca Trek and a fear of exposure/heights
- 22 1 day for Iguazu Falls (I know, but that's all she has)
- 23 Trip Report Chile: A Country of Diverse and Amazing Beauty...
- 24 Last min cruise to the Galapagos
- 25 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
Practical to combine Amazon + beaches with visit to the Guianas?