We would be visiting Peru for the first time in May. We have 8 nights all together, and are planning to go to Amazon for 3 nights and Cusco / MP for 4 nights.
Our proposed itinerary is:
Day 1 (Friday) : Fly from NA to Lima; overnight at Ramada airport
Day 2(Saturday): Fly to Puerto Maldonado; transfer to a lodge
Day 3(Sunday) : Amazon tour
Day 4 (Monday): Amazon tour
Day 5 (Tuesday): Fly from Puerto Maldonado to Cusco
Transfer to Sacred Valley (Urubamba ) hotel
Day 6 (Wednesday): Sacred Valley tour - on the way we have to move our
luggage to our future Cusco hotel and then drive to the train
to Aquas Caliente; sleep in Aquas Caliente
Day 7 (Thursday): MP; take train in the evening to Cusco
Day 8 (Friday) : Tour Cusco and area; sleep in Cusco
Day 9 (Saturday): Fly to Lima; tour Lima; Fly home
It looks to me that we will be driving around a lot on day 6; also, I understand that Pisac market is on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday - so we will miss it.
The other option is:
Day 5: sleep in Cusco
Day 6: Tour Cusco and area; sleep in Cusco
Day 7: Sacred Valley toutr and Pisac, afternoon train to Aquas Caliente, sleep in AC.
Day 8: MP tour, late train to Cusco; sleep in Cusco
Day 9: Fly to Lima / tour / fly home
Which option is better? First option will allow to better altitude adjustment, but more driving around; second will allow us more time to see things, but can be more difficult to adjust to altitude.
We are in our mid 60's fairly fit.
Any suggestions are really appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Iquitos
- 2 Punta Arenas or Puerto Natales?
- 3 please help with Argentine Patagonia planning
- 4 Northwest Argentina - Specific Itinerary Questions
- 5 Weight limits on LATAM airlines
- 6 2 week Brazil, Argentina and Peru itinerary
- 7 Quito, Galapagos and Otavalo
- 8 Peru 3 Week Itinerary Feedback PLS!
- 9 Rainbow mountain trek
- 10 Restaurant Iguazu Falls
- 11 1 Month Backpacking Peru Itinerary Check
- 12 In Celebration of Retiring: A Luxe Trip to Peru
- 13 Escaping the northern hemisphere winter in the Santiago area?
- 14 Brazil/Buzios: Booking bus tickets in advance?
- 15 Family Adventure in Ecuador
- 16 transport to San Antonio De Areco, Argentina
- 17 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 18 Agency to purchase tickets to US
- 19 AllenBrooks- guide/driver in Rio
- 20 Bariloche car rental
- 21 Guide recommendation Cusco Sacred Valley Machu Picchu
- 22 Child visa to Brazil. Please share your experience.
- 23 All inclusive hotels near San Pedro de Atacama?
- 24 Is the Seno Otway Penguin Reserve Currently Open?
- 25 Any Sights en Route from Punta Arenas to Puerto Natales to TdP?