We would be visiting Peru for the first time in May. We have 8 nights all together, and are planning to go to Amazon for 3 nights and Cusco / MP for 4 nights.
Our proposed itinerary is:
Day 1 (Friday) : Fly from NA to Lima; overnight at Ramada airport
Day 2(Saturday): Fly to Puerto Maldonado; transfer to a lodge
Day 3(Sunday) : Amazon tour
Day 4 (Monday): Amazon tour
Day 5 (Tuesday): Fly from Puerto Maldonado to Cusco
Transfer to Sacred Valley (Urubamba ) hotel
Day 6 (Wednesday): Sacred Valley tour - on the way we have to move our
luggage to our future Cusco hotel and then drive to the train
to Aquas Caliente; sleep in Aquas Caliente
Day 7 (Thursday): MP; take train in the evening to Cusco
Day 8 (Friday) : Tour Cusco and area; sleep in Cusco
Day 9 (Saturday): Fly to Lima; tour Lima; Fly home
It looks to me that we will be driving around a lot on day 6; also, I understand that Pisac market is on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday - so we will miss it.
The other option is:
Day 5: sleep in Cusco
Day 6: Tour Cusco and area; sleep in Cusco
Day 7: Sacred Valley toutr and Pisac, afternoon train to Aquas Caliente, sleep in AC.
Day 8: MP tour, late train to Cusco; sleep in Cusco
Day 9: Fly to Lima / tour / fly home
Which option is better? First option will allow to better altitude adjustment, but more driving around; second will allow us more time to see things, but can be more difficult to adjust to altitude.
We are in our mid 60's fairly fit.
Any suggestions are really appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Seek Suggestions on Trip to Machu Picchu
- 2 Avenue of Volcanoes
- 3 Galapagos and Machu Pichu Itinerary Suggestions
- 4 Machu Picchu in January
- 5 Dining in Medellin
- 6 Medellin's hidden Parque is lovely
- 7 Travel with Children to Galapagos
- 8 Christmastime in Santiago/Valparaiso - what to do, where to stay
- 9 Colca Canyon Earthquake
- 10 Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca), Peru
- 11 10 days in Santiago, Easter Islands, San pedro de atacama, doable?
- 12 santiago chile area
- 13 Beach walk in Rio - Copacabana or Ipanema?
- 14 Reflections on our South America trip
- 15 One Day in Santiago/Tour Guide
- 16 Driving from Santiago to Peurto Montt
- 17 Chile: first cut a travel plan
- 18 Argentina and Bolivia in February and March?
- 19 visit in the area of Campinas,Brazil and weather
- 20 Buying show tickets to Cafe Tortoni
- 21 Iguazu Falls-"Best" Way to Reach/See
- 22 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 23 One week in Cartagena?
- 24 Argentina 3 week Itinerary
- 25 One day in Buenos Aires and Tango Experience