We would be visiting Peru for the first time in May. We have 8 nights all together, and are planning to go to Amazon for 3 nights and Cusco / MP for 4 nights.
Our proposed itinerary is:
Day 1 (Friday) : Fly from NA to Lima; overnight at Ramada airport
Day 2(Saturday): Fly to Puerto Maldonado; transfer to a lodge
Day 3(Sunday) : Amazon tour
Day 4 (Monday): Amazon tour
Day 5 (Tuesday): Fly from Puerto Maldonado to Cusco
Transfer to Sacred Valley (Urubamba ) hotel
Day 6 (Wednesday): Sacred Valley tour - on the way we have to move our
luggage to our future Cusco hotel and then drive to the train
to Aquas Caliente; sleep in Aquas Caliente
Day 7 (Thursday): MP; take train in the evening to Cusco
Day 8 (Friday) : Tour Cusco and area; sleep in Cusco
Day 9 (Saturday): Fly to Lima; tour Lima; Fly home
It looks to me that we will be driving around a lot on day 6; also, I understand that Pisac market is on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday - so we will miss it.
The other option is:
Day 5: sleep in Cusco
Day 6: Tour Cusco and area; sleep in Cusco
Day 7: Sacred Valley toutr and Pisac, afternoon train to Aquas Caliente, sleep in AC.
Day 8: MP tour, late train to Cusco; sleep in Cusco
Day 9: Fly to Lima / tour / fly home
Which option is better? First option will allow to better altitude adjustment, but more driving around; second will allow us more time to see things, but can be more difficult to adjust to altitude.
We are in our mid 60's fairly fit.
Any suggestions are really appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Chile or Argentina?
- 2 South America this October
- 3 Itinerary Help Brazil 10 days
- 4 Spontaneity in Cusco activities possible?
- 5 Galápagos Islands: Yacht Angelito
- 6 Antarctica on the Vavilov-How to book?
- 7 Peru in December
- 8 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 9 Tarapoto
- 10 Cusco and Machu Picchu
- 11 Transportation: Cusco Airport to Ollantaytamba train station
- 12 Some Nature/Bird Lodges in Colombia
- 13 Buenos Aires/Argentina 10+ Day, Solo Woman Traveler
- 14 Machu Picchu - any good hiking guide companies?
- 15 A brief encounter with Ecuador
- 16 Extra two days In Cusco or Lima..Early September
- 17 Need some help in getting started-first vacation to South America!
- 18 Hiking in Ecuador: Water and Clothing Advice Please
- 19 Packing for Galapagos Cruise - Lessons Learned
- 20 Campinas and Natal help
- 21 Ecuador Haciendas and Weather
- 22 Getting Visa for U.S. citizen at the border
- 23 Uruguay for wildlife
- 24 A month in Argentina--what would you do?
- 25 Cusco to Ollantaytambo via Salt Flats