We would be visiting Peru for the first time in May. We have 8 nights all together, and are planning to go to Amazon for 3 nights and Cusco / MP for 4 nights.
Our proposed itinerary is:
Day 1 (Friday) : Fly from NA to Lima; overnight at Ramada airport
Day 2(Saturday): Fly to Puerto Maldonado; transfer to a lodge
Day 3(Sunday) : Amazon tour
Day 4 (Monday): Amazon tour
Day 5 (Tuesday): Fly from Puerto Maldonado to Cusco
Transfer to Sacred Valley (Urubamba ) hotel
Day 6 (Wednesday): Sacred Valley tour - on the way we have to move our
luggage to our future Cusco hotel and then drive to the train
to Aquas Caliente; sleep in Aquas Caliente
Day 7 (Thursday): MP; take train in the evening to Cusco
Day 8 (Friday) : Tour Cusco and area; sleep in Cusco
Day 9 (Saturday): Fly to Lima; tour Lima; Fly home
It looks to me that we will be driving around a lot on day 6; also, I understand that Pisac market is on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday - so we will miss it.
The other option is:
Day 5: sleep in Cusco
Day 6: Tour Cusco and area; sleep in Cusco
Day 7: Sacred Valley toutr and Pisac, afternoon train to Aquas Caliente, sleep in AC.
Day 8: MP tour, late train to Cusco; sleep in Cusco
Day 9: Fly to Lima / tour / fly home
Which option is better? First option will allow to better altitude adjustment, but more driving around; second will allow us more time to see things, but can be more difficult to adjust to altitude.
We are in our mid 60's fairly fit.
Any suggestions are really appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Another Amazing Trip to Patagonia
- 2 Valpo, Lakes, Chiloe & Patagonia Time allotment?
- 3 Honeymoon destination help!!!!!
- 4 Flying Solo to South America
- 5 Tell me soething about South America travel tips?
- 6 South American destinations for introverts?
- 7 Narrowing Down Itinerary
- 8 Where to start in May?
- 9 Machu Picchu and the Inca Trail
- 10 Family Adventure in Ecuador
- 11 Trip Report to BsAs and Patagonia (With Pics and Vids)
- 12 Child visa to Brazil. Please share your experience.
- 13 SA first-timers* need Peru advice!
- 14 Cartagens for 3.5 days. Looking for suggestions-islands, food tours, etc..
- 15 Need day trip/guide suggestions from Puerto Ayora, Galapagos
- 16 Peru Final 15-day Itinerary Help Needed
- 17 Need Help with Itinerary (2.5 Months) (Indian Passport)
- 18 Best overland route from Lima to Tucuman, Argentina?
- 19 Peru - Puno & Lakes or Amazon
- 20 Did You Visit the Lakes District and/or Chiloe?
- 21 One Day in Santiago/Tour Guide
- 22 Argentina and Bolivia/March and April
- 23 Belated trip report (Quito and Mindo)
- 24 Machu Picchu...Doable?
- 25 Valparaiso to Santiago Airport - How Much Time to Allow?