Amazing amount of information I've got by reading the forum posts. Thanks to all.
We're a family of 4 in NJ, USA traveling to Peru for the fist time (kids are 13 and 10) on 3/23 for 12 days and 12 nights. A sudden decision left little time for planning. I planned our itinerary for the typical highlights MP, Paracas/Ballesta, Nazca, Arequipa/Colca.
I contacted some of the recommended travel agents in Peru and the US to organize our tour, and was surprised to get quotes around US $19,000 - $26,000, not including flights and many meals. We've never used a tour operator before, so maybe my ignorance is showing.
By my calculation, hotels come to around $4000 (we're happy with 3 star). We requested private van transport and bilingual guide for any attractions. It seems to me that if I plan this on my own - hiring cars and guides at each location and booking the tours, it should cost at most around $10,000. Am I missing something? Are package tours usually marked up so much? Any thoughts/recommendations are much appreciated.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 2 weeks trip
- 2 South adventure Peru tours
- 3 Bicycle Tour explore Islands of the Mekong River
- 4 10 Nights in Central Chile and on Rapa Nui
- 5 Where to stay in Bariloche
- 6 WEBJET
- 7 Iguazu and Iguaçu
- 8 Good women's hairgresser in Santiago?
- 9 Itineraries
- 10 Pantanal Lodges
- 11 semi weird question re Peru Currency
- 12 Torres Del Paine Hiking - No Refugios
- 13 3 weeks in South America
- 14 Soles in Lima,Peru
- 15 Buenos Aires Hotels for 4 nights in early November
- 16 Ecuador, Panama, or Costa Rica
- 17 Bus travel between El Chalten and El Calafate
- 18 Chile wine tour
- 19 Which Amazon area/lodge in Peru?
- 20 Aerolineas "Visit Argentina" discounted airline pass
- 21 Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado?
- 22 How to count hotel floors in Ecuador?
- 23 Ceviche in Peru or Ecuador?
- 24 Travel Buddies for the Salar de Uyuni in September 2017
- 25 Help planning trip to Chile (Patagonia and Lakes District) in late October
Peru 2 weeks w/ family, custom package vs. independent travel