Amazing amount of information I've got by reading the forum posts. Thanks to all.
We're a family of 4 in NJ, USA traveling to Peru for the fist time (kids are 13 and 10) on 3/23 for 12 days and 12 nights. A sudden decision left little time for planning. I planned our itinerary for the typical highlights MP, Paracas/Ballesta, Nazca, Arequipa/Colca.
I contacted some of the recommended travel agents in Peru and the US to organize our tour, and was surprised to get quotes around US $19,000 - $26,000, not including flights and many meals. We've never used a tour operator before, so maybe my ignorance is showing.
By my calculation, hotels come to around $4000 (we're happy with 3 star). We requested private van transport and bilingual guide for any attractions. It seems to me that if I plan this on my own - hiring cars and guides at each location and booking the tours, it should cost at most around $10,000. Am I missing something? Are package tours usually marked up so much? Any thoughts/recommendations are much appreciated.
Peru 2 weeks w/ family, custom package vs. independent travel
- 1 Buenos Aires and Beyond for a Beginner
- 2 Machu Pichu accomodation
- 3 Vaya Adventures
- 4 Help needed - how to get from Iguazu border to Foz do Iguazu hotel?
- 5 Estancia near Mendoza?
- 6 11-day trip to Easter Island and Santiago.
- 7 Galapagos -- Anahi or Millenium
- 8 Taxi fares for my options at the Falls (Argentina).
- 9 Recommendations for Amazon tours
- 10 19 day Peru Itinerary, your thoughts?
- 11 Back to South America
- 12 Should we go to Iguazu Falls?
- 13 First South American 2 month trip: Help review please !
- 14 We will be in Rio during carnival. Advice needed please.
- 15 Had to cancel our trip to Peru
- 16 Van rental in Punta Arena, Chile
- 17 Route planning- 28 weeks and counting. 1 year South America
- 18 Crees organisation and foundation and Manu Learning Centre
- 19 Recommendations for Galapagos islands tours
- 20 Backpacking South America 2014, Gringo + Backpack = Mochilero
- 21 A spare day at Machu Pichu
- 22 2 weeks in Peru or 1 week in Peru and 1 in Chile
- 23 Need Driver for Iguazu Falls & Foz da Iguacu
- 24 Travel agency review: Untamed Path for Ecuador/Galapagos
- 25 La Cabrera -- really good or tourist trap?