Amazing amount of information I've got by reading the forum posts. Thanks to all.
We're a family of 4 in NJ, USA traveling to Peru for the fist time (kids are 13 and 10) on 3/23 for 12 days and 12 nights. A sudden decision left little time for planning. I planned our itinerary for the typical highlights MP, Paracas/Ballesta, Nazca, Arequipa/Colca.
I contacted some of the recommended travel agents in Peru and the US to organize our tour, and was surprised to get quotes around US $19,000 - $26,000, not including flights and many meals. We've never used a tour operator before, so maybe my ignorance is showing.
By my calculation, hotels come to around $4000 (we're happy with 3 star). We requested private van transport and bilingual guide for any attractions. It seems to me that if I plan this on my own - hiring cars and guides at each location and booking the tours, it should cost at most around $10,000. Am I missing something? Are package tours usually marked up so much? Any thoughts/recommendations are much appreciated.
Peru 2 weeks w/ family, custom package vs. independent travel
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Lima Hotel or B&B for family
- 2 Touring Iguazu Falls
- 3 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 4 Lima-Paracas-Nazca-Huacachina-Lima (bus/drive)
- 5 Bogota
- 6 Tour guides needed for SugarLoaf and Corcovado? Transfer recs?
- 7 Independent travel vs. tour of Buenis Aires
- 8 Chile/Patagonia Itinerary Questions
- 9 Hawaii or Rio for single male traveler
- 10 New Years Eve: Rio or Buenos Aires?
- 11 4 weeks in Chile
- 12 Lima-Paracas-Nazca: in 1 day?
- 13 New Year's Eve in Lima
- 14 Bogota - Is it safe?
- 15 Para Ti, Brazil
- 16 Advice needed for Colombia
- 17 Chile and Argentina
- 18 To Iguazu Falls, No Time To Tango
- 19 2nd Leg Retirement Trip
- 20 In Celebration of Retiring: A Luxe Trip to Peru
- 21 Buenos Aires GTG, Tuesday, Jan.13
- 22 El valle de Elquí
- 23 Need a "just in case" Buenos Aires restaurant recommendation
- 24 Columbia Questions
- 25 Planning 3 weeks in Columbia