I will be traveling to Peru from December 25-January 8 with 2 other people. We will be landing in Lima on December 26th at 5am. Points of interest are: Lima, Cuzco/Machu Picchu and Ollantaytambo to adjust to the altitude in that area, and hoping to reach the Amazon region if possible!
I am having a hard time mapping out the itinerary in regards to where to start/end. One person will be leaving on January 6th so I would like to be in an area where she can get to Lima fairly easily without interrupting our portion of the vacation.
I am also wondering if we should do the hike up to Machu Picchu or take the train. Any recommendations?
We will obviously be in Peru for New Years Eve so I am also curious if there is a specific place that would be nice to celebrate in.
Thanks in advance for your input!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Spring Break Trip to Peru in Mid-March!
- 2 Beach walk in Rio - Copacabana or Ipanema?
- 3 Trip Report - 2 Weeks in Peru, July 2016
- 4 Southern Bolivia from Northwest Argentina?
- 5 Expat meet up.
- 6 Mindo places with comfortable beds and flexible menus?
- 7 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 8 Ecuador weather forecast - is it accurate?
- 9 Exciting Times in Colombia
- 10 Day Trip Ideas from Rio...
- 11 Best place to exchange USD for Peso
- 12 Galapagos - 11 full days
- 13 Sixty days in Colombia
- 14 Video from Chile (Chiloé & Volcan Calbuco)
- 15 Colca Canyon Earthquake
- 16 Sketching Out a Rough Itinerary - First Trip to South America
- 17 2 Weeks in Colombia & the Galapagos Islands
- 18 Car rental El Calafate and drop off in Chile
- 19 Lima Foodie Resource(s)
- 20 Argentina - Day trips in Ushuaia
- 21 Iguazu Falls -- 2 nights -- do we have it right?
- 22 Booking sites - HELP! Don't want to be scammed
- 23 summer olympics in Rio
- 24 2 Weeks in Rio in Nov End
- 25 Trip ideas for 2 weeks in South America??