I will be traveling to Peru from December 25-January 8 with 2 other people. We will be landing in Lima on December 26th at 5am. Points of interest are: Lima, Cuzco/Machu Picchu and Ollantaytambo to adjust to the altitude in that area, and hoping to reach the Amazon region if possible!
I am having a hard time mapping out the itinerary in regards to where to start/end. One person will be leaving on January 6th so I would like to be in an area where she can get to Lima fairly easily without interrupting our portion of the vacation.
I am also wondering if we should do the hike up to Machu Picchu or take the train. Any recommendations?
We will obviously be in Peru for New Years Eve so I am also curious if there is a specific place that would be nice to celebrate in.
Thanks in advance for your input!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Machu Picchu in January
- 2 Rio Water Quality
- 3 Brazil Tourist Safety tip request
- 4 Accessibility to Igassu Falls
- 5 Galapagos with/Natural Habitat Adventures?
- 6 I Didn't Get Killed in Rio: Our Travels in Peru, Brazil, and Ecuador
- 7 Two day stay in Lima
- 8 Best beach town for Jan- Feb trip
- 9 Cities near santiago chile?
- 10 Iguazu logistics and rental car?
- 11 Leftover Argentine Pesos - where to sell?
- 12 Van from Cusco to Ollantaytambo
- 13 June travel in the Galapagos, Andean Ecuador, and Machu Picchu
- 14 Uyuni Salar Tour Company
- 15 Trip Evacuation Insurance for the Galapagos
- 16 Travelers insurance in Patagonia - need it?
- 17 Huayna Picchu Vs. Machu Picchu Mountain?
- 18 60 day Trip to South America
- 19 3 week itinerary for Peru
- 20 Ups and downs of our trip to Peru--from Machu Picchu to LIM airport floor
- 21 Buenos Aires
- 22 Buenos Aires with bad knee
- 23 Hotels in Argentina
- 24 Patagonia August 29 - September 7
- 25 Help! No Idea Where to Go.