I will be traveling to Peru from December 25-January 8 with 2 other people. We will be landing in Lima on December 26th at 5am. Points of interest are: Lima, Cuzco/Machu Picchu and Ollantaytambo to adjust to the altitude in that area, and hoping to reach the Amazon region if possible!
I am having a hard time mapping out the itinerary in regards to where to start/end. One person will be leaving on January 6th so I would like to be in an area where she can get to Lima fairly easily without interrupting our portion of the vacation.
I am also wondering if we should do the hike up to Machu Picchu or take the train. Any recommendations?
We will obviously be in Peru for New Years Eve so I am also curious if there is a specific place that would be nice to celebrate in.
Thanks in advance for your input!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Torres del Paine, 3 hotel oprions
- 2 Brasilia, So. Pantanal & Bonito
- 3 Spring Break Trip to Peru in Mid-March!
- 4 Buenos Aires hotel for 2 nights
- 5 Too Long, but ain't gonna' change
- 6 Travel to Bolivia
- 7 Argentina - Best of Salta in 4 days
- 8 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 9 Drive or Get Driven? Santiago > Valparaiso
- 10 Extra two days in Cusco or Lake Titicaca
- 11 Lima Foodie Resource(s)
- 12 Brazil. Reading lists
- 13 Cusco to Ollantaytambo via Salt Flats
- 14 Any suggestions for tour companies for Inca Trail Trek to MP?
- 15 9 days in Ecuador-need help planning
- 16 Buenos Aires-ideas for side trips
- 17 Self Drive from BsAs to Tierra del Fuego
- 18 Suggested driving route Lima to Huaraz?
- 19 Cajamarca
- 20 Choquequirao Questions
- 21 Advice? First SA experience in Ecuador has so far been disappointing
- 22 Amazon and the Inca Trail
- 23 What to do with two free nites on arrival in Argentina
- 24 South America 2 Months Itinery
- 25 Finalizing Patagonia Itinerary-Suggestions?