I will be traveling to Peru from December 25-January 8 with 2 other people. We will be landing in Lima on December 26th at 5am. Points of interest are: Lima, Cuzco/Machu Picchu and Ollantaytambo to adjust to the altitude in that area, and hoping to reach the Amazon region if possible!
I am having a hard time mapping out the itinerary in regards to where to start/end. One person will be leaving on January 6th so I would like to be in an area where she can get to Lima fairly easily without interrupting our portion of the vacation.
I am also wondering if we should do the hike up to Machu Picchu or take the train. Any recommendations?
We will obviously be in Peru for New Years Eve so I am also curious if there is a specific place that would be nice to celebrate in.
Thanks in advance for your input!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Iguazu Falls - 4 star hotel near the airport?
- 2 Layover in Lima
- 3 South America this October
- 4 Galápagos Islands: Yacht Angelito
- 5 2 Weeks in Armenia, Colombia/July
- 6 Inca Trail Report: 5 day version with Wayki Trek
- 7 San Salvador Layover
- 8 Brief Notes on a February in Ecuador
- 9 Colca/Arequipa/Puno - organized tour (bus) or something less crowded?
- 10 Wine Tours in Chile and Argentina -
- 11 Chile & Argentina wine trips
- 12 Welltravbrit's Colombia - Statues, Tombs, and Carnaval!
- 13 Huaraz to Trujillo, Chiclayo and Piura
- 14 Santiago & Valparaiso - Help with Planning
- 15 Couple of days out from Bogota - Safe and possible?
- 16 2 weeks in Peru/Chile
- 17 Ecuador Trip Plan: What did we get right and wrong?
- 18 Logistics to reach Angel Falls in Venezuela
- 19 Santiago, Chile
- 20 limited time in Cusco
- 21 Iguassu Falls footwear?
- 22 Lost andean immigration card for Ecuador - problem on exit?
- 23 Visiting Ollantataymbo from Cusco
- 24 Getting Visa for U.S. citizen at the border
- 25 Back "home" in Barranco