I will be traveling to Peru from December 25-January 8 with 2 other people. We will be landing in Lima on December 26th at 5am. Points of interest are: Lima, Cuzco/Machu Picchu and Ollantaytambo to adjust to the altitude in that area, and hoping to reach the Amazon region if possible!
I am having a hard time mapping out the itinerary in regards to where to start/end. One person will be leaving on January 6th so I would like to be in an area where she can get to Lima fairly easily without interrupting our portion of the vacation.
I am also wondering if we should do the hike up to Machu Picchu or take the train. Any recommendations?
We will obviously be in Peru for New Years Eve so I am also curious if there is a specific place that would be nice to celebrate in.
Thanks in advance for your input!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Iguazu and Iguaçu
- 2 2 weeks trip
- 3 10 Nights in Central Chile and on Rapa Nui
- 4 Good women's hairgresser in Santiago?
- 5 Itineraries
- 6 Pantanal Lodges
- 7 semi weird question re Peru Currency
- 8 Torres Del Paine Hiking - No Refugios
- 9 3 weeks in South America
- 10 Soles in Lima,Peru
- 11 Buenos Aires Hotels for 4 nights in early November
- 12 Ecuador, Panama, or Costa Rica
- 13 Bus travel between El Chalten and El Calafate
- 14 Chile wine tour
- 15 Which Amazon area/lodge in Peru?
- 16 Aerolineas "Visit Argentina" discounted airline pass
- 17 Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado?
- 18 How to count hotel floors in Ecuador?
- 19 Ceviche in Peru or Ecuador?
- 20 Travel Buddies for the Salar de Uyuni in September 2017
- 21 Help planning trip to Chile (Patagonia and Lakes District) in late October
- 22 Travel to Salta/Jujuy
- 23 My June '14 Peru Trip
- 24 Proposed Argentina trip for Feb '18 - looking for advice?
- 25 Cusco area and Machu Picchu guide