I will be traveling to Peru from December 25-January 8 with 2 other people. We will be landing in Lima on December 26th at 5am. Points of interest are: Lima, Cuzco/Machu Picchu and Ollantaytambo to adjust to the altitude in that area, and hoping to reach the Amazon region if possible!
I am having a hard time mapping out the itinerary in regards to where to start/end. One person will be leaving on January 6th so I would like to be in an area where she can get to Lima fairly easily without interrupting our portion of the vacation.
I am also wondering if we should do the hike up to Machu Picchu or take the train. Any recommendations?
We will obviously be in Peru for New Years Eve so I am also curious if there is a specific place that would be nice to celebrate in.
Thanks in advance for your input!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Our ATMs to give 500 and 100 peso bills
- 2 Sixty days in Colombia
- 3 Finalizing Patagonia Itinerary-Suggestions?
- 4 Machu Picchu - NatGeo vs. OAT
- 5 Taking the Bus Santiago Airport to Valpo
- 6 MP and Torres del Paine on same trip?
- 7 Steak house rec in Buenos Aires near Recoleta
- 8 Choquequirao Questions
- 9 Suggested driving route Lima to Huaraz?
- 10 12 Day Peru Itinerary Help
- 11 Shopping for sweaters - Quito or Otavalo?
- 12 Advice? First SA experience in Ecuador has so far been disappointing
- 13 A brief encounter with Ecuador
- 14 Cajamarca
- 15 Torres del Paine, 3 hotel oprions
- 16 Welltravbrit's Colombia - Statues, Tombs, and Carnaval!
- 17 9 days in Ecuador-need help planning
- 18 Patagonia - Equipment
- 19 Extra two days In Cusco or Lima..Early September
- 20 Chile or Argentina?
- 21 Extra two days in Cusco or Lake Titicaca
- 22 Iguassu Falls footwear?
- 23 Nazca Lines from Pisco or Ica Airport?
- 24 Chile cell phone and sim card advice needed
- 25 What to do with two free nites on arrival in Argentina