I will be going to South America in October (starting in Bogota, then Leticia, Colombia, and then south to Los Nevados, before leaving Colombia to the south). I REALLY want to see Penguins I have heard that Humboldt's are in northern Chile and Peru, and that there are others up through Ecuador. My question is, are there any good places where Penguins are regularly seen along the MAINLAND coast of Ecuador (not Galapagos) or Peru? Are there any places in northern Chile without having to fly too far south? I would prefer seeing them on the mainland beach if possible, rather than having to get a boat tour due to time and cost. I had heard that there is a Humboldt Preserve in northern Chile and that Humboldts lay eggs in September-October. Are there locations along thee mainland cost here?
Thanks for any help!
Mike McGuire, New Jersey
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Best BA neighborhood to stay in?
- 2 Is the Perito Moreno Glacier worth paying $200+ to walk on?
- 3 Argentina with a touch of Chile and some help needed
- 4 Galápagos Islands: Yacht Angelito
- 5 Avianca business class
- 6 Planning Argentina Trip
- 7 Trip Report Chile: A Country of Diverse and Amazing Beauty...
- 8 where to stay Buenos Aires
- 9 Aboard the Amazon Star
- 10 Feria de las flores
- 11 Which Amazon area/lodge in Peru?
- 12 Brazilian Visa Documents - Help!
- 13 Escaping the northern hemisphere winter in the Santiago area?
- 14 comments
- 15 Cusco to La Paz Priorities: Puno VS Copacabana VS La Paz VS Coroico
- 16 3 days precruise-stay in Santiago all 3 or 2 SCL and 1 Valparaiso?
- 17 Huacachina, Peru
- 18 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 19 Trip Report - First time in Buenos Aires/Iguazu Falls/Rio de Janeiro
- 20 Pantanal Lodges
- 21 What's all the hype about Buenos Aires?
- 22 Manaus
- 23 Renting a car in Patagonia
- 24 Suenos Aires, Argentina vs Lisbon, Portugal
- 25 No exit stamp from Brazil, no entry stamp in Paraguay, help!!