I will be going to South America in October (starting in Bogota, then Leticia, Colombia, and then south to Los Nevados, before leaving Colombia to the south). I REALLY want to see Penguins I have heard that Humboldt's are in northern Chile and Peru, and that there are others up through Ecuador. My question is, are there any good places where Penguins are regularly seen along the MAINLAND coast of Ecuador (not Galapagos) or Peru? Are there any places in northern Chile without having to fly too far south? I would prefer seeing them on the mainland beach if possible, rather than having to get a boat tour due to time and cost. I had heard that there is a Humboldt Preserve in northern Chile and that Humboldts lay eggs in September-October. Are there locations along thee mainland cost here?
Thanks for any help!
Mike McGuire, New Jersey
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Pantanal on your own
- 2 Obtaining a visa while abroad
- 3 I need some help about bringing some stuffs to Brazil
- 4 Trip report/blog - Machu Picchu and the Amazon Rainforest
- 5 Ecuador - should we go?
- 6 Amazon River & surrounds: How much is practical in 3 weeks?
- 7 Santiago 2 days
- 8 itinerary suggestions for peru- 1 month trip?
- 9 Villa de Leyva, Colombia´s colonial gem
- 10 Pantanal or rurrenbaque?
- 11 Colombia´s Lake Guatavita and the search for El Dorado
- 12 Cachi-Cafayate 9-10 August. Looking to share car rental costs
- 13 3 Months South America: Argentina - Bolivia - Peru. Ideas?
- 14 Lodge in Pantanal
- 15 Visa Question: U.S. Citizen Flying from Brazil to Bolivia
- 16 2 weeks in Argentina - end of Nov. to early Dec.
- 17 Valparaiso Hotels - which one to stay in March??
- 18 14 days in Brazil mid-december through New Year's Eve- help please
- 19 Patagonia...You took our breath away
- 20 Buying a one way ticket into South America
- 21 Cell phone in Brazil
- 22 10 Full Days in Peru
- 23 Fly to Fernando de Noronha
- 24 10 day itinerary questions
- 25 Huayna Picchu Vs. Machu Picchu Mountain?