I will be going to South America in October (starting in Bogota, then Leticia, Colombia, and then south to Los Nevados, before leaving Colombia to the south). I REALLY want to see Penguins I have heard that Humboldt's are in northern Chile and Peru, and that there are others up through Ecuador. My question is, are there any good places where Penguins are regularly seen along the MAINLAND coast of Ecuador (not Galapagos) or Peru? Are there any places in northern Chile without having to fly too far south? I would prefer seeing them on the mainland beach if possible, rather than having to get a boat tour due to time and cost. I had heard that there is a Humboldt Preserve in northern Chile and that Humboldts lay eggs in September-October. Are there locations along thee mainland cost here?
Thanks for any help!
Mike McGuire, New Jersey
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Cordoba-scenic small towns nearby
- 2 Hiking Tour Companies - Machu Picchu & Chile
- 3 Wayna Picchu, Don't Miss It!
- 4 Argentina in 15 days with a toddler: Trip report!
- 5 Lima-Cusco-Ollantaytambo-Machu Picchu first timers
- 6 Family Adventure in Ecuador
- 7 Exploring the cities of Ecuador's Andes
- 8 Choquequirao Questions
- 9 Trip Report to BsAs and Patagonia (With Pics and Vids)
- 10 MARCHU PICCHU
- 11 Santiago > Valparaiso: worth driving?
- 12 Can USA citizens avoid hotel taxes?
- 13 One week in Cartagena?
- 14 What type of currency for Bolivia
- 15 Cordoba horseback riding day trip
- 16 Thoughts on our itinerary?
- 17 Agency to purchase tickets to US
- 18 Chile/Patagonia/Torres del Paine/Valparaiso
- 19 Ecuador Pure Life (tour operator) - very negative experience
- 20 Need Dinner recommendations for 12 Peru trip
- 21 Another Brazil Visa Application Form question!
- 22 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 23 Iquitos Peru and rain forest
- 24 Help w 2nd Guessing Peru itinerary
- 25 Senior Citizens traveling to Machu Picchu