I will be going to South America in October (starting in Bogota, then Leticia, Colombia, and then south to Los Nevados, before leaving Colombia to the south). I REALLY want to see Penguins I have heard that Humboldt's are in northern Chile and Peru, and that there are others up through Ecuador. My question is, are there any good places where Penguins are regularly seen along the MAINLAND coast of Ecuador (not Galapagos) or Peru? Are there any places in northern Chile without having to fly too far south? I would prefer seeing them on the mainland beach if possible, rather than having to get a boat tour due to time and cost. I had heard that there is a Humboldt Preserve in northern Chile and that Humboldts lay eggs in September-October. Are there locations along thee mainland cost here?
Thanks for any help!
Mike McGuire, New Jersey
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Backroads or Nat Geo hiking Patagonia
- 2 Need and advise about where to go in Bolivia
- 3 Our ATMs to give 500 and 100 peso bills
- 4 Customs hassles after an estancia stay?
- 5 Is it worth the Brazil visa to see the Falls?
- 6 advice about traveling in Peru
- 7 help to plan a budget trip in south america
- 8 Rio de Janeiro in March
- 9 Spontaneity in Cusco activities possible?
- 10 Villa de Leyva - a week too much and other questions..
- 11 Southward Ho! Adventures in Chile & ARG
- 12 Argentina in October--more questions
- 13 Our new government to promote foreign tourism
- 14 South America this October
- 15 Chile or Argentina?
- 16 11 hours in Lima
- 17 Transportation: Cusco Airport to Ollantaytamba train station
- 18 Cusco and Machu Picchu
- 19 Villa de Leyva - a week too much and other questions..
- 20 Machu Picchu - any good hiking guide companies?
- 21 Galápagos Islands: Yacht Angelito
- 22 Itinerary Help Brazil 10 days
- 23 Antarctica on the Vavilov-How to book?
- 24 Peru in December
- 25 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta