I will be going to South America in October (starting in Bogota, then Leticia, Colombia, and then south to Los Nevados, before leaving Colombia to the south). I REALLY want to see Penguins I have heard that Humboldt's are in northern Chile and Peru, and that there are others up through Ecuador. My question is, are there any good places where Penguins are regularly seen along the MAINLAND coast of Ecuador (not Galapagos) or Peru? Are there any places in northern Chile without having to fly too far south? I would prefer seeing them on the mainland beach if possible, rather than having to get a boat tour due to time and cost. I had heard that there is a Humboldt Preserve in northern Chile and that Humboldts lay eggs in September-October. Are there locations along thee mainland cost here?
Thanks for any help!
Mike McGuire, New Jersey
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 2 Exciting Times in Colombia
- 3 Trip Report - 2 Weeks in Peru, July 2016
- 4 Day Trip Ideas from Rio...
- 5 Best place to exchange USD for Peso
- 6 Galapagos - 11 full days
- 7 Mindo places with comfortable beds and flexible menus?
- 8 Sixty days in Colombia
- 9 Video from Chile (Chiloé & Volcan Calbuco)
- 10 Colca Canyon Earthquake
- 11 Sketching Out a Rough Itinerary - First Trip to South America
- 12 2 Weeks in Colombia & the Galapagos Islands
- 13 Car rental El Calafate and drop off in Chile
- 14 Lima Foodie Resource(s)
- 15 Argentina - Day trips in Ushuaia
- 16 Iguazu Falls -- 2 nights -- do we have it right?
- 17 Booking sites - HELP! Don't want to be scammed
- 18 summer olympics in Rio
- 19 2 Weeks in Rio in Nov End
- 20 Trip ideas for 2 weeks in South America??
- 21 Tahuayo Lodge, Amazon
- 22 Most Efficient Travel from Peru to Chile?
- 23 Buenos Aires AND Iguazu Falls?
- 24 Ecuador -Rental Car, Clothing and Cotopaxi
- 25 Itinerary Help Brazil 10 days