This is gariem again. I will be in Buenos Aires alone for two nights both before and after a group wine tour in Chile during April. I have booked a hotel in Palermo Hollywood for the first two nights and a hotel in Recoleta for the last two nights to experience different parts of the city. On Friday night I dined with friends here in the US who grew up in BA and go back every year, in fact they are going next week. They advised me not to stay in Palermo as a single woman traveling alone, stick to Recoleta. They have relatives living in Palermo, and all have been robbed in the streets over time. How safe am I in the evenings? Should I stick to taxis in that neighborhood? (I'll carry cash only, one credit card, no jewelry, etc.) I'll use my cell phone indoors, since my friends' brother had his new iphone ripped off him in mid-sentence on a sidewalk recently. I REALLY wanted to stay in Palermo at Legado Mitico Hotel (which has a guard and is locked at all times, does that tell me something?) I'm petite, in my mid-50's, well traveled in Europe, but no jock. Any comments, avrooster or others? Saludos!
Palermo Viejo vs Recoleta Hotel
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Peru and Brazil: A South American Adventure
- 2 16 days in Brazil - ideas please
- 3 WWYD-time in Lima
- 4 Peru & Altitude Questions
- 5 Ecuador 5 to 6 weeks
- 6 Argentina Holiday Help
- 7 General Strike in BsAs on Thursday
- 8 GALAPAGOS ISLANDS
- 9 argentina & brazil
- 10 Patagonia...You took our breath away
- 11 Visa Question: U.S. Citizen Flying from Brazil to Bolivia
- 12 General Strike in BsAs on Thursday
- 13 Peru jungle – looking for wildlife/comfort balance
- 14 Valpariso or Vina del Mar for sr citizens - two nights
- 15 Where to stay in Rio before a Cruise?
- 16 First Time to Peru: Need Help with Child-Friendly Itinerary
- 17 2-week Peru itinerary - any advice or recommended changes?
- 18 Packing for Peru in August - Recommendations?
- 19 Brazil/Buzios: Booking bus tickets in advance?
- 20 2 wks in Colombia
- 21 Lost andean immigration card for Ecuador - problem on exit?
- 22 Buenos Aries
- 23 Tour guide for Machu Picchu
- 24 Travel to Ecuador in pregnancy
- 25 14 days in Brazil mid-december through New Year's Eve- help please