This is gariem again. I will be in Buenos Aires alone for two nights both before and after a group wine tour in Chile during April. I have booked a hotel in Palermo Hollywood for the first two nights and a hotel in Recoleta for the last two nights to experience different parts of the city. On Friday night I dined with friends here in the US who grew up in BA and go back every year, in fact they are going next week. They advised me not to stay in Palermo as a single woman traveling alone, stick to Recoleta. They have relatives living in Palermo, and all have been robbed in the streets over time. How safe am I in the evenings? Should I stick to taxis in that neighborhood? (I'll carry cash only, one credit card, no jewelry, etc.) I'll use my cell phone indoors, since my friends' brother had his new iphone ripped off him in mid-sentence on a sidewalk recently. I REALLY wanted to stay in Palermo at Legado Mitico Hotel (which has a guard and is locked at all times, does that tell me something?) I'm petite, in my mid-50's, well traveled in Europe, but no jock. Any comments, avrooster or others? Saludos!
Palermo Viejo vs Recoleta Hotel
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Hotel Suggestions Buenos Aires La Recoleta
- 2 Cruise stop over in Lima
- 3 Pantanal on your own
- 4 Obtaining a visa while abroad
- 5 I need some help about bringing some stuffs to Brazil
- 6 Trip report/blog - Machu Picchu and the Amazon Rainforest
- 7 Ecuador - should we go?
- 8 Amazon River & surrounds: How much is practical in 3 weeks?
- 9 Santiago 2 days
- 10 itinerary suggestions for peru- 1 month trip?
- 11 Villa de Leyva, Colombia´s colonial gem
- 12 Pantanal or rurrenbaque?
- 13 Colombia´s Lake Guatavita and the search for El Dorado
- 14 Cachi-Cafayate 9-10 August. Looking to share car rental costs
- 15 3 Months South America: Argentina - Bolivia - Peru. Ideas?
- 16 Lodge in Pantanal
- 17 Visa Question: U.S. Citizen Flying from Brazil to Bolivia
- 18 2 weeks in Argentina - end of Nov. to early Dec.
- 19 Valparaiso Hotels - which one to stay in March??
- 20 14 days in Brazil mid-december through New Year's Eve- help please
- 21 Patagonia...You took our breath away
- 22 Buying a one way ticket into South America
- 23 Cell phone in Brazil
- 24 10 Full Days in Peru
- 25 Fly to Fernando de Noronha