This is gariem again. I will be in Buenos Aires alone for two nights both before and after a group wine tour in Chile during April. I have booked a hotel in Palermo Hollywood for the first two nights and a hotel in Recoleta for the last two nights to experience different parts of the city. On Friday night I dined with friends here in the US who grew up in BA and go back every year, in fact they are going next week. They advised me not to stay in Palermo as a single woman traveling alone, stick to Recoleta. They have relatives living in Palermo, and all have been robbed in the streets over time. How safe am I in the evenings? Should I stick to taxis in that neighborhood? (I'll carry cash only, one credit card, no jewelry, etc.) I'll use my cell phone indoors, since my friends' brother had his new iphone ripped off him in mid-sentence on a sidewalk recently. I REALLY wanted to stay in Palermo at Legado Mitico Hotel (which has a guard and is locked at all times, does that tell me something?) I'm petite, in my mid-50's, well traveled in Europe, but no jock. Any comments, avrooster or others? Saludos!
Palermo Viejo vs Recoleta Hotel
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Lima Hotel or B&B for family
- 2 Touring Iguazu Falls
- 3 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 4 Lima-Paracas-Nazca-Huacachina-Lima (bus/drive)
- 5 Bogota
- 6 Tour guides needed for SugarLoaf and Corcovado? Transfer recs?
- 7 Independent travel vs. tour of Buenis Aires
- 8 Chile/Patagonia Itinerary Questions
- 9 Hawaii or Rio for single male traveler
- 10 New Years Eve: Rio or Buenos Aires?
- 11 4 weeks in Chile
- 12 Lima-Paracas-Nazca: in 1 day?
- 13 New Year's Eve in Lima
- 14 Bogota - Is it safe?
- 15 Para Ti, Brazil
- 16 Advice needed for Colombia
- 17 Chile and Argentina
- 18 To Iguazu Falls, No Time To Tango
- 19 2nd Leg Retirement Trip
- 20 In Celebration of Retiring: A Luxe Trip to Peru
- 21 Buenos Aires GTG, Tuesday, Jan.13
- 22 El valle de Elquí
- 23 Need a "just in case" Buenos Aires restaurant recommendation
- 24 Columbia Questions
- 25 Planning 3 weeks in Columbia