This is gariem again. I will be in Buenos Aires alone for two nights both before and after a group wine tour in Chile during April. I have booked a hotel in Palermo Hollywood for the first two nights and a hotel in Recoleta for the last two nights to experience different parts of the city. On Friday night I dined with friends here in the US who grew up in BA and go back every year, in fact they are going next week. They advised me not to stay in Palermo as a single woman traveling alone, stick to Recoleta. They have relatives living in Palermo, and all have been robbed in the streets over time. How safe am I in the evenings? Should I stick to taxis in that neighborhood? (I'll carry cash only, one credit card, no jewelry, etc.) I'll use my cell phone indoors, since my friends' brother had his new iphone ripped off him in mid-sentence on a sidewalk recently. I REALLY wanted to stay in Palermo at Legado Mitico Hotel (which has a guard and is locked at all times, does that tell me something?) I'm petite, in my mid-50's, well traveled in Europe, but no jock. Any comments, avrooster or others? Saludos!
Palermo Viejo vs Recoleta Hotel
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Quito trip
- 2 Peru in 7 (full) days: Cuzco, Puno, Arequipa
- 3 MP, SV and Cusco in July - itinerary questions
- 4 Hiring a driver in the Sacred Valley.....suggestions please
- 5 2 "free days" in Lake District
- 6 Glover escapes cold again and returns to Colombia and Mexico
- 7 1 day in Rio
- 8 Peru advice, and are there any monkeys?
- 9 Chile - Casablanca region vineyard tours. Any recommendations?
- 10 Solo female travelling around South America
- 11 Bariloche car rental
- 12 A Camera Question for the Photogs Out There
- 13 Galapagos Islands
- 14 Trip to Argentina - Help with Patagonia needed!
- 15 Headed to Bogota and Villa de Leyva next week!
- 16 Day trip to Paracas
- 17 Bogota - Is it safe?
- 18 Peru trip
- 19 Amazon Manaus Tour Guides
- 20 Peru: Kaleidoscope of Colors. Amazon Cruise, Machu Picchu, Jungle Lodges
- 21 Chile or Chile/Argentina - 3 Itinerary Ideas, Can't Decide!
- 22 Pisco Dreams; Nine Days in the Sacred Valley, Cusco and Lima
- 23 One week Family Spring Break in Cartagena and ??
- 24 To Iguazu Falls, No Time To Tango
- 25 Mendoza - Wine Lodges robberies