I am going to Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, and Brazil next month. I was wondering if anyone knows if a portable weather radio will work in South America? I was concerned about flash floods, and the lahar/volcanic hazards in the Banos, Ecuador while I am there. I am aware that in the USA NOAA operates the airwaves, but I was wondering if their counterparts in these countries may operate similar programming on the same radio bands. I do speak Spanish beyond just simply "getting by" so stations being in Spanish is not a problem.
Thanks for any help!
Mike McGuire, New Jersey
NOAA Weather Radio
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Language school in Antigua or Quetzaltenango
- 2 TDP in August
- 3 Peru in December
- 4 Quito: Old city or new?
- 5 Galapagos.. questions about cruises, seasons, Quito hotels
- 6 amazon jungle trips
- 7 Patagonia Trip Report: Kayaking, Riding and Hiking in the South
- 8 Amazon Cruise
- 9 3 Full Days in Iguazu?
- 10 Trip with my boyfriend to the Brazilian city of São Paulo!
- 11 Brazil for Carnival
- 12 16 days in Brazil - ideas please
- 13 Pisco Dreams; Nine Days in the Sacred Valley, Cusco and Lima
- 14 Last 2 weeks
- 15 10 nights in Argentina
- 16 Flight to El Calafate for one day
- 17 Urgent Help Required Regarding International Transit Through Brazil.
- 18 Sobering Film
- 19 Travel to Peru with my 5 best friends!
- 20 Estancias Outside Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 21 Peru- making up a small 50+ group
- 22 Machu Picchu First?
- 23 Rosh Hashanah
- 24 Peru and Brazil: A South American Adventure
- 25 Rio, Ouro Preto and Inhotim trip report