I am going to Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, and Brazil next month. I was wondering if anyone knows if a portable weather radio will work in South America? I was concerned about flash floods, and the lahar/volcanic hazards in the Banos, Ecuador while I am there. I am aware that in the USA NOAA operates the airwaves, but I was wondering if their counterparts in these countries may operate similar programming on the same radio bands. I do speak Spanish beyond just simply "getting by" so stations being in Spanish is not a problem.
Thanks for any help!
Mike McGuire, New Jersey
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 2 9 days in Ecuador-need help planning
- 3 Buenos Aires-ideas for side trips
- 4 Self Drive from BsAs to Tierra del Fuego
- 5 Suggested driving route Lima to Huaraz?
- 6 Cajamarca
- 7 Choquequirao Questions
- 8 Advice? First SA experience in Ecuador has so far been disappointing
- 9 Amazon and the Inca Trail
- 10 What to do with two free nites on arrival in Argentina
- 11 South America 2 Months Itinery
- 12 Finalizing Patagonia Itinerary-Suggestions?
- 13 Torres del Paine, 3 hotel oprions
- 14 5 day Galapagos cruise in Nov
- 15 Our ATMs to give 500 and 100 peso bills
- 16 Sixty days in Colombia
- 17 Machu Picchu - NatGeo vs. OAT
- 18 Taking the Bus Santiago Airport to Valpo
- 19 MP and Torres del Paine on same trip?
- 20 Steak house rec in Buenos Aires near Recoleta
- 21 12 Day Peru Itinerary Help
- 22 Shopping for sweaters - Quito or Otavalo?
- 23 A brief encounter with Ecuador
- 24 Welltravbrit's Colombia - Statues, Tombs, and Carnaval!
- 25 Patagonia - Equipment