The new Bolivian Visa rules have caused us to cancel our upcoming day trip to Copacabana and Sun Island from Puno, Peru. Its just not worth an extra $100 per person (4 of us = $400), yellow fever vaccinations, submission of bank statements etc. for just a few hours in the country. Of course, if we were going for a week or more, I would have no qualms about it. I realize and appreciate that the new requirements for US citizens are reciprocal, but this is going to hurt Bolivia a lot more than it is the USA. No one is beating down the doors to get into Bolivia, so the risk of tourists overstaying their stay on a day trip shouldn't be a concern, as it is in the US. In any case, its unfortunate that we will miss our day trip to the other side of Lake Titicaca, and that Bolivia will lose our travel dollars. I hope the Bolivian realizes the unintended consequences of their new requirements -- it will affect their travel industry companies and employees far more than it will affect our missing a day of travel there.
New Visa Rules
View all South America activity »
- 1 8 Days in Brazil
- 2 Flight and Lodging in Manaus and Rio
- 3 Need Help with Itinerary (2.5 Months) (Indian Passport)
- 4 To Buenos Aires and beyond
- 5 Practical to combine Amazon + beaches with visit to the Guianas?
- 6 Celebrating A Century Of Flight
- 7 Lower savings with the "blue" exchange rate?
- 8 Peru Hop?
- 9 3 days before Cuzco/Machu Picchu - what to do, where to go
- 10 "Up to" 40% discount on LAN flights around South America today only
- 11 Uruguay Re-Do
- 12 Montevideo, Uruguay
- 13 60 Hours in Buenos Aires: Blue Dollar Heaven
- 14 More suggested reading
- 15 Please help me jump-start planning for Galapagos trip
- 16 Peru Best Tours: Buyers Beware
- 17 how to get to San Pedro de Atacama, Chile
- 18 Bariloche over XMas
- 19 Quark Expeditions 50% off sale - Antarctica 2014
- 20 Traveling with a Computer?
- 21 Christmas Day in Buenos Aires
- 22 Two Weeks Ecuador - Itinerary Help!
- 23 18 Day Argentina Itinerary
- 24 Rent a car and travel through Patagonia? Join us!
- 25 Reflections on our South America trip