The new Bolivian Visa rules have caused us to cancel our upcoming day trip to Copacabana and Sun Island from Puno, Peru. Its just not worth an extra $100 per person (4 of us = $400), yellow fever vaccinations, submission of bank statements etc. for just a few hours in the country. Of course, if we were going for a week or more, I would have no qualms about it. I realize and appreciate that the new requirements for US citizens are reciprocal, but this is going to hurt Bolivia a lot more than it is the USA. No one is beating down the doors to get into Bolivia, so the risk of tourists overstaying their stay on a day trip shouldn't be a concern, as it is in the US. In any case, its unfortunate that we will miss our day trip to the other side of Lake Titicaca, and that Bolivia will lose our travel dollars. I hope the Bolivian realizes the unintended consequences of their new requirements -- it will affect their travel industry companies and employees far more than it will affect our missing a day of travel there.
New Visa Rules
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Language study in Brazil
- 2 driving up the coast from rio de janeiro to salvador
- 3 Patagonia Trip Report: Kayaking, Riding and Hiking in the South
- 4 itinerary Help for Peru with Kids
- 5 Chile - IVA Tax
- 6 Chile reciprocity fee - Canadian citizens
- 7 Christmas present to Cusco?
- 8 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 9 Trip Report
- 10 Argentina Holiday Help
- 11 arpilleras - where to buy ?
- 12 Astrid y Gaston, Lima, Peru: A mini trip report for foodies only
- 13 Cusco, Pto Maldonado, Titicaca and Trujillo!
- 14 Chile, Brazil and New York Trip report - live
- 15 flights from Buenos Aires to Iguazu Falls
- 16 3 Days Extra in NW Argentina
- 17 Need help. Anyone?Amazon (Brazil)
- 18 1st South American adventure
- 19 Short trip to Chile during New Year?
- 20 Puerto Varas / Puerto Montt - Rent a car or ...
- 21 Sending good wishes to Kathie and Cheryl
- 22 Galapagos.. questions about cruises, seasons, Quito hotels
- 23 Has anyone used Alasperuanas in Pisco?
- 24 For Neoptropical Birders
- 25 Columbia Questions