The new Bolivian Visa rules have caused us to cancel our upcoming day trip to Copacabana and Sun Island from Puno, Peru. Its just not worth an extra $100 per person (4 of us = $400), yellow fever vaccinations, submission of bank statements etc. for just a few hours in the country. Of course, if we were going for a week or more, I would have no qualms about it. I realize and appreciate that the new requirements for US citizens are reciprocal, but this is going to hurt Bolivia a lot more than it is the USA. No one is beating down the doors to get into Bolivia, so the risk of tourists overstaying their stay on a day trip shouldn't be a concern, as it is in the US. In any case, its unfortunate that we will miss our day trip to the other side of Lake Titicaca, and that Bolivia will lose our travel dollars. I hope the Bolivian realizes the unintended consequences of their new requirements -- it will affect their travel industry companies and employees far more than it will affect our missing a day of travel there.
New Visa Rules
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Patagonia Trip Report: Kayaking, Riding and Hiking in the South
- 2 Argentina trip over Christmas and New Years
- 3 Where to stay in Rio before a Cruise?
- 4 Christmas in Cusco
- 5 transportation in Brazil
- 6 Advice, recommendations and guidance
- 7 Pisco Dreams; Nine Days in the Sacred Valley, Cusco and Lima
- 8 Patagonia Chile
- 9 Blue dollars in Argentina
- 10 Cartagena: enough for 4-6 days?
- 11 Easter Island flight delays?
- 12 argentina & brazil
- 13 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 14 Colombia, Safe Travels from Cartagena to Santa Marta Area
- 15 Beware of G Adventures Galapagos tour guides!
- 16 A couple days outside of Buenos Aires
- 17 Brazilian music
- 18 Ecuador 5 to 6 weeks
- 19 Colombia Trip Report - Very Long
- 20 Itinerary Help Peru>Bolivia>Chile>Argentina>Brazil
- 21 HELP! Seeking a teaching job down south
- 22 First Leg of retirement Triperu
- 23 The WSJ says it is cheap to eat out in BA - So, what's new????
- 24 Worth staying extra night in Buenos Aires, esp Monday night?
- 25 Change Hotel Locations in Buenos Aires