The new Bolivian Visa rules have caused us to cancel our upcoming day trip to Copacabana and Sun Island from Puno, Peru. Its just not worth an extra $100 per person (4 of us = $400), yellow fever vaccinations, submission of bank statements etc. for just a few hours in the country. Of course, if we were going for a week or more, I would have no qualms about it. I realize and appreciate that the new requirements for US citizens are reciprocal, but this is going to hurt Bolivia a lot more than it is the USA. No one is beating down the doors to get into Bolivia, so the risk of tourists overstaying their stay on a day trip shouldn't be a concern, as it is in the US. In any case, its unfortunate that we will miss our day trip to the other side of Lake Titicaca, and that Bolivia will lose our travel dollars. I hope the Bolivian realizes the unintended consequences of their new requirements -- it will affect their travel industry companies and employees far more than it will affect our missing a day of travel there.
New Visa Rules
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Itinerary advice for a 5 week trip to Peru
- 2 Cusco, Pto Maldonado, Titicaca and Trujillo!
- 3 Plan a 3 month South America trip in less than 2 months
- 4 Trip to Machu Picchu
- 5 RECIFE, where to stay during WORLD CUP??
- 6 Fire in Valparaiso
- 7 HELP!!! Sao Paulo for a day???
- 8 Machu Picchu with a bum knee
- 9 Independence Day in Cuzco
- 10 Ecuador - should we go?
- 11 Buenos Aires + only 1 Patagonia location
- 12 Back to South America
- 13 Cotopaxi Day Tour
- 14 Travel from Cusco to Tacna by bus
- 15 Peru/Machu Picchu/Cuzco suggestions
- 16 Driving in Ecuador
- 17 Out travels in Bolivia Peru and Ecuador
- 18 To Buenos Aires and beyond
- 19 Should we book Argentina trip in May 2014?
- 20 2-3 months backpacking trip to Peru, Bolivia, Chile and Buenos Aires
- 21 Brazil/Buzios: Booking bus tickets in advance?
- 22 9 day Itinerary Advice: Lima, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu
- 23 Question about LAN Peru LAX-Cusco
- 24 Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra
- 25 Questions re. Machu Picchu