Our trip is booked May 24th through June 3rd. Thank you everyone for the great recommendations from my other post.
On May 30th we are we will take the Sacred Valley route (we are staying in Ollantaytambo) Peru Rail to Machu Picchu. I am trying to decide the best way to go and would appreciate any recommendations.
1. Is it worth it to take a 5:00am train to see the sunrise at MP? If not, what time do you recommend?
2. We want to make the most of the day there. Should we stay until they close at 5:30pm or is that too long? What have others done?
3. Vistadome vs. Expedition train? Is it worth the extra money for Vistadome?
4. Tour guide or alone? Our hotel can arrange a private guide to meet us at the train station for $60. Is this a good price?
5. The climb Huayna Picchu, is it worth $60 per person = $120 for me and my husband? Has anyone done this?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Trip Report - 2 Weeks in Peru, July 2016
- 2 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 3 Day Trip Ideas from Rio...
- 4 Best place to exchange USD for Peso
- 5 Galapagos - 11 full days
- 6 Mindo places with comfortable beds and flexible menus?
- 7 Sixty days in Colombia
- 8 Video from Chile (Chiloé & Volcan Calbuco)
- 9 Colca Canyon Earthquake
- 10 Sketching Out a Rough Itinerary - First Trip to South America
- 11 2 Weeks in Colombia & the Galapagos Islands
- 12 Car rental El Calafate and drop off in Chile
- 13 Lima Foodie Resource(s)
- 14 Argentina - Day trips in Ushuaia
- 15 Iguazu Falls -- 2 nights -- do we have it right?
- 16 Booking sites - HELP! Don't want to be scammed
- 17 summer olympics in Rio
- 18 2 Weeks in Rio in Nov End
- 19 Trip ideas for 2 weeks in South America??
- 20 Tahuayo Lodge, Amazon
- 21 Most Efficient Travel from Peru to Chile?
- 22 Buenos Aires AND Iguazu Falls?
- 23 Ecuador -Rental Car, Clothing and Cotopaxi
- 24 Itinerary Help Brazil 10 days
- 25 Iguazu Falls -- is Brazil side worth the cost?