Our trip is booked May 24th through June 3rd. Thank you everyone for the great recommendations from my other post.
On May 30th we are we will take the Sacred Valley route (we are staying in Ollantaytambo) Peru Rail to Machu Picchu. I am trying to decide the best way to go and would appreciate any recommendations.
1. Is it worth it to take a 5:00am train to see the sunrise at MP? If not, what time do you recommend?
2. We want to make the most of the day there. Should we stay until they close at 5:30pm or is that too long? What have others done?
3. Vistadome vs. Expedition train? Is it worth the extra money for Vistadome?
4. Tour guide or alone? Our hotel can arrange a private guide to meet us at the train station for $60. Is this a good price?
5. The climb Huayna Picchu, is it worth $60 per person = $120 for me and my husband? Has anyone done this?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Chile or Argentina?
- 2 Itinerary Help Brazil 10 days
- 3 Spontaneity in Cusco activities possible?
- 4 Galápagos Islands: Yacht Angelito
- 5 Antarctica on the Vavilov-How to book?
- 6 Peru in December
- 7 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 8 Tarapoto
- 9 Cusco and Machu Picchu
- 10 Transportation: Cusco Airport to Ollantaytamba train station
- 11 Some Nature/Bird Lodges in Colombia
- 12 Buenos Aires/Argentina 10+ Day, Solo Woman Traveler
- 13 Machu Picchu - any good hiking guide companies?
- 14 A brief encounter with Ecuador
- 15 Extra two days In Cusco or Lima..Early September
- 16 Need some help in getting started-first vacation to South America!
- 17 Hiking in Ecuador: Water and Clothing Advice Please
- 18 Packing for Galapagos Cruise - Lessons Learned
- 19 Campinas and Natal help
- 20 Ecuador Haciendas and Weather
- 21 Getting Visa for U.S. citizen at the border
- 22 Uruguay for wildlife
- 23 A month in Argentina--what would you do?
- 24 Cusco to Ollantaytambo via Salt Flats
- 25 45 days in Colombia - Our Experience