Our trip is booked May 24th through June 3rd. Thank you everyone for the great recommendations from my other post.
On May 30th we are we will take the Sacred Valley route (we are staying in Ollantaytambo) Peru Rail to Machu Picchu. I am trying to decide the best way to go and would appreciate any recommendations.
1. Is it worth it to take a 5:00am train to see the sunrise at MP? If not, what time do you recommend?
2. We want to make the most of the day there. Should we stay until they close at 5:30pm or is that too long? What have others done?
3. Vistadome vs. Expedition train? Is it worth the extra money for Vistadome?
4. Tour guide or alone? Our hotel can arrange a private guide to meet us at the train station for $60. Is this a good price?
5. The climb Huayna Picchu, is it worth $60 per person = $120 for me and my husband? Has anyone done this?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Iguazu Falls-"Best" Way to Reach/See
- 2 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 3 Travel with Children to Galapagos
- 4 Help us plan our dream SA trip!
- 5 Seek Suggestions on Trip to Machu Picchu
- 6 Avenue of Volcanoes
- 7 Waterfalls near Puyo, Tena, and Baeza in Ecuador
- 8 Best Trek in Peru? (Huayhuash Circuit vs Inca Trail)
- 9 Bariloche car rental
- 10 Trip Report: Studying Spanish in Quito and Cuenca 2007
- 11 Galapagos and Machu Pichu Itinerary Suggestions
- 12 Machu Picchu in January
- 13 Dining in Medellin
- 14 Medellin's hidden Parque is lovely
- 15 Christmastime in Santiago/Valparaiso - what to do, where to stay
- 16 Colca Canyon Earthquake
- 17 Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca), Peru
- 18 10 days in Santiago, Easter Islands, San pedro de atacama, doable?
- 19 santiago chile area
- 20 Beach walk in Rio - Copacabana or Ipanema?
- 21 Reflections on our South America trip
- 22 One Day in Santiago/Tour Guide
- 23 Driving from Santiago to Peurto Montt
- 24 Chile: first cut a travel plan
- 25 Argentina and Bolivia in February and March?