My wife and I are looking to go to South America this year and a guided Machu Picchu trip through Gap is reaching the top spot on our list along with another short trip in another city/country or an Amazon Jungle trip as well for 2-4 days.
We are in our late 20's, want to have it be an adventure but not camping style. We like the classic/standard trips from Gap and Intrepid (not the basic but not the luxury either).
I can get a great deal on our next Gap trip (5% off plus a $500 voucher) plus we have free airfare to South America through award miles, so we are looking to score a solid trip on the cheap!
What I was thinking was doing the following short 8 day Gap trip that is basically Machu Picchu, Lima and Cuzco:
We are purposely avoiding the Inca Trail hike as I think it is a little out of my wife's league and interest (4 days hiking is way too much).
So with only 8 days, where could we tack on another 2-4 independently at the beginning or end from Lima (if not independently, maybe through another agent)? Alternatively, we could do this Gap trip which basically adds 2 more days onto the 8 day trip in the Amazon for a total of 10:
Yet another option is to replace the extra Amazon trip with Lake Titicaca and the Islands of Uros (also double the price for only 2 more days). That trip is here:
The downside is that with these 2 additional days through Gap, it nearly doubles the total price of the trip for only 2 more days! Is that worth it? Is there a better option like a side excursion outside of Lima on our own to something more unique and off the beaten path? We could even take a local flight to Bolivia, Ecuador or Chile for 3-4 days.
We are open to really anything. Should we try and get to Lake Titicaca? The Amazon? La Paz? Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Does anyone have experience with Discovery-tours by gate 1,
- 2 Argentina, Uruguay & Chile
- 3 Peru- Recommendation for tour company to customize 14 day trip
- 4 Argentina
- 5 Tucantravel company.
- 6 Trelew to Peninsula Valdes
- 7 Help Planning Atacama for Next Week!
- 8 Amy Peru and Chile! (A possibly over enthusiastic trip report)
- 9 Patagonia Trip Reports / El Chaltén
- 10 Bolivia & Argentina itinerary help
- 11 6 Weeks - Argentina and/or Peru/Colombia? too much in this time?
- 12 Ship travel to South America
- 13 4 DAY, 3 NIGHT TREK TO MACHU PICCHU
- 14 Iguazu logistics and rental car?
- 15 Need some help with ideas for Argentina and Chile in 2017 please!
- 16 Solo travellers in Chile
- 17 Living in rural South America
- 18 Where to eat in Quito and Cuzco?
- 19 Manufacturer of alpaca clothes!
- 20 Other forums for Buenos Aires
- 21 galapagos island
- 22 Huayna Picchu ticket
- 23 Where to book the Salkantay trek?
- 24 BUYER BEWARE!!! Viator's transfer from EZE into Buenos Aires!
- 25 Is Buenos Aires cold in September