My wife and I are looking to go to South America this year and a guided Machu Picchu trip through Gap is reaching the top spot on our list along with another short trip in another city/country or an Amazon Jungle trip as well for 2-4 days.
We are in our late 20's, want to have it be an adventure but not camping style. We like the classic/standard trips from Gap and Intrepid (not the basic but not the luxury either).
I can get a great deal on our next Gap trip (5% off plus a $500 voucher) plus we have free airfare to South America through award miles, so we are looking to score a solid trip on the cheap!
What I was thinking was doing the following short 8 day Gap trip that is basically Machu Picchu, Lima and Cuzco:
We are purposely avoiding the Inca Trail hike as I think it is a little out of my wife's league and interest (4 days hiking is way too much).
So with only 8 days, where could we tack on another 2-4 independently at the beginning or end from Lima (if not independently, maybe through another agent)? Alternatively, we could do this Gap trip which basically adds 2 more days onto the 8 day trip in the Amazon for a total of 10:
Yet another option is to replace the extra Amazon trip with Lake Titicaca and the Islands of Uros (also double the price for only 2 more days). That trip is here:
The downside is that with these 2 additional days through Gap, it nearly doubles the total price of the trip for only 2 more days! Is that worth it? Is there a better option like a side excursion outside of Lima on our own to something more unique and off the beaten path? We could even take a local flight to Bolivia, Ecuador or Chile for 3-4 days.
We are open to really anything. Should we try and get to Lake Titicaca? The Amazon? La Paz? Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Chile or Argentina?
- 2 Itinerary Help Brazil 10 days
- 3 Spontaneity in Cusco activities possible?
- 4 Galápagos Islands: Yacht Angelito
- 5 Antarctica on the Vavilov-How to book?
- 6 Peru in December
- 7 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 8 Tarapoto
- 9 Cusco and Machu Picchu
- 10 Transportation: Cusco Airport to Ollantaytamba train station
- 11 Some Nature/Bird Lodges in Colombia
- 12 Buenos Aires/Argentina 10+ Day, Solo Woman Traveler
- 13 Machu Picchu - any good hiking guide companies?
- 14 A brief encounter with Ecuador
- 15 Extra two days In Cusco or Lima..Early September
- 16 Need some help in getting started-first vacation to South America!
- 17 Hiking in Ecuador: Water and Clothing Advice Please
- 18 Packing for Galapagos Cruise - Lessons Learned
- 19 Campinas and Natal help
- 20 Ecuador Haciendas and Weather
- 21 Getting Visa for U.S. citizen at the border
- 22 Uruguay for wildlife
- 23 A month in Argentina--what would you do?
- 24 Cusco to Ollantaytambo via Salt Flats
- 25 45 days in Colombia - Our Experience