My wife and I are looking to go to South America this year and a guided Machu Picchu trip through Gap is reaching the top spot on our list along with another short trip in another city/country or an Amazon Jungle trip as well for 2-4 days.
We are in our late 20's, want to have it be an adventure but not camping style. We like the classic/standard trips from Gap and Intrepid (not the basic but not the luxury either).
I can get a great deal on our next Gap trip (5% off plus a $500 voucher) plus we have free airfare to South America through award miles, so we are looking to score a solid trip on the cheap!
What I was thinking was doing the following short 8 day Gap trip that is basically Machu Picchu, Lima and Cuzco:
We are purposely avoiding the Inca Trail hike as I think it is a little out of my wife's league and interest (4 days hiking is way too much).
So with only 8 days, where could we tack on another 2-4 independently at the beginning or end from Lima (if not independently, maybe through another agent)? Alternatively, we could do this Gap trip which basically adds 2 more days onto the 8 day trip in the Amazon for a total of 10:
Yet another option is to replace the extra Amazon trip with Lake Titicaca and the Islands of Uros (also double the price for only 2 more days). That trip is here:
The downside is that with these 2 additional days through Gap, it nearly doubles the total price of the trip for only 2 more days! Is that worth it? Is there a better option like a side excursion outside of Lima on our own to something more unique and off the beaten path? We could even take a local flight to Bolivia, Ecuador or Chile for 3-4 days.
We are open to really anything. Should we try and get to Lake Titicaca? The Amazon? La Paz? Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated!
Macchu Picchu Trip Plus What Else?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Buenos Aires - lone female traveller
- 2 Help
- 3 BUYER BEWARE!!! Viator's transfer from EZE into Buenos Aires!
- 4 Satellite phones allowed into Brazil?
- 5 Sacred Valley spread over four days--need input on itinerary!
- 6 One week Family Spring Break in Cartagena and ??
- 7 Easter Day in Rio
- 8 PERU HORSE TOUR FROM CUSCO TO MACHU PICCHU
- 9 Visiting Machu Picchu in August, need help with planning.
- 10 Wrapping Up the Trip Planning - A Few Final Questions
- 11 Costa Rica during Holy Week - need help
- 12 Beginning-to-start to plan Colombia for July 2015
- 13 Headed to Bogota and Villa de Leyva next week!
- 14 First time to Chile for 2 weeks March/April
- 15 Three weeks in South America
- 16 Reality check for 8 day trip to Peru in May
- 17 Patagonia tour in April
- 18 5 days in Patgonia... review of itinerary
- 19 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 20 Where to book the Salkantay trek?
- 21 HIP - BACK problems.....Relief !
- 22 Off the beaten track
- 23 Hosteria Tyndall - Torres del Paine
- 24 Ecuador Trip without Galapagos-10 nights
- 25 LAN flights cancelled this morning, March 11, due to a strike