My wife and I are looking to go to South America this year and a guided Machu Picchu trip through Gap is reaching the top spot on our list along with another short trip in another city/country or an Amazon Jungle trip as well for 2-4 days.
We are in our late 20's, want to have it be an adventure but not camping style. We like the classic/standard trips from Gap and Intrepid (not the basic but not the luxury either).
I can get a great deal on our next Gap trip (5% off plus a $500 voucher) plus we have free airfare to South America through award miles, so we are looking to score a solid trip on the cheap!
What I was thinking was doing the following short 8 day Gap trip that is basically Machu Picchu, Lima and Cuzco:
We are purposely avoiding the Inca Trail hike as I think it is a little out of my wife's league and interest (4 days hiking is way too much).
So with only 8 days, where could we tack on another 2-4 independently at the beginning or end from Lima (if not independently, maybe through another agent)? Alternatively, we could do this Gap trip which basically adds 2 more days onto the 8 day trip in the Amazon for a total of 10:
Yet another option is to replace the extra Amazon trip with Lake Titicaca and the Islands of Uros (also double the price for only 2 more days). That trip is here:
The downside is that with these 2 additional days through Gap, it nearly doubles the total price of the trip for only 2 more days! Is that worth it? Is there a better option like a side excursion outside of Lima on our own to something more unique and off the beaten path? We could even take a local flight to Bolivia, Ecuador or Chile for 3-4 days.
We are open to really anything. Should we try and get to Lake Titicaca? The Amazon? La Paz? Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 2 Weeks in South America- Need advice
- 2 Itinerary - Peru, Bolivia, Argentina Query
- 3 zika to cancel or not to cancel
- 4 The Travel Cartel Go to Colombia
- 5 some practical tips for Buenos Aires and day trips
- 6 Itinerary help - Argentina and....?
- 7 Ecuador, Places to shop
- 8 Only one day in Quito recommendations.
- 9 3 Days/2 Night Treks to Machu Picchu
- 10 Sacred Valley/Inca Trail April 2015 Trip Report
- 11 Booking the Grey Glacier Boat Tour
- 12 Volunteering in South America, maybe Peru?
- 13 Atacama and ????
- 14 Departure Tax leaving Colombia
- 15 Travel to Peru in 2 weeks
- 16 How Long Before departure @Bogota Airport Arrival Time
- 17 Tarapoto
- 18 First Time In South America Itinerary
- 19 Patagonia!
- 20 South america to Easter Island then to Tahiti
- 21 Travel from Valparaiso, Chile to Santiago.
- 22 Advantages of bringing cash to Argentina
- 23 Interested in opinions on Chile itinerary
- 24 Argentinian Honeymoon
- 25 Machu Picchu train tickets online