My wife and I are looking to go to South America this year and a guided Machu Picchu trip through Gap is reaching the top spot on our list along with another short trip in another city/country or an Amazon Jungle trip as well for 2-4 days.
We are in our late 20's, want to have it be an adventure but not camping style. We like the classic/standard trips from Gap and Intrepid (not the basic but not the luxury either).
I can get a great deal on our next Gap trip (5% off plus a $500 voucher) plus we have free airfare to South America through award miles, so we are looking to score a solid trip on the cheap!
What I was thinking was doing the following short 8 day Gap trip that is basically Machu Picchu, Lima and Cuzco:
We are purposely avoiding the Inca Trail hike as I think it is a little out of my wife's league and interest (4 days hiking is way too much).
So with only 8 days, where could we tack on another 2-4 independently at the beginning or end from Lima (if not independently, maybe through another agent)? Alternatively, we could do this Gap trip which basically adds 2 more days onto the 8 day trip in the Amazon for a total of 10:
Yet another option is to replace the extra Amazon trip with Lake Titicaca and the Islands of Uros (also double the price for only 2 more days). That trip is here:
The downside is that with these 2 additional days through Gap, it nearly doubles the total price of the trip for only 2 more days! Is that worth it? Is there a better option like a side excursion outside of Lima on our own to something more unique and off the beaten path? We could even take a local flight to Bolivia, Ecuador or Chile for 3-4 days.
We are open to really anything. Should we try and get to Lake Titicaca? The Amazon? La Paz? Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated!
Macchu Picchu Trip Plus What Else?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Is Guayaquil the new tourist discovery in Ecuador?
- 2 Peru, help cutting costs
- 3 Peruvian Amazon
- 4 Peru Itinerary Help
- 5 One spare day in our itinerary - where should it go?
- 6 driving to salvador
- 7 february/march- where to go?
- 8 10 days backpacking in Peru
- 9 Antofogasta or Calama ? And which month ?
- 10 Birding in Mindo
- 11 Bogota, Providencia and Where Else?
- 12 Iguazu accomodation
- 13 Buenos Aires - lone female traveller
- 14 First time to Chile for 2 weeks March/April
- 15 El Calafate/Torres del Paine 7 day Itinerary Help
- 16 Pisco Dreams; Nine Days in the Sacred Valley, Cusco and Lima
- 17 Driving Advice for El Calafate to Torres Del Paine in early October
- 18 Peru: a month travel in February
- 19 Glover escapes cold again and returns to Colombia and Mexico
- 20 Trip to Machu Picchu, Amazing Place!!!
- 21 Off the beaten track
- 22 Solo female travelling around South America
- 23 Anyone familiar with PeruSmile?
- 24 Punta del Este or La Barra area?
- 25 South American Airpasses