My wife and I are looking to go to South America this year and a guided Machu Picchu trip through Gap is reaching the top spot on our list along with another short trip in another city/country or an Amazon Jungle trip as well for 2-4 days.
We are in our late 20's, want to have it be an adventure but not camping style. We like the classic/standard trips from Gap and Intrepid (not the basic but not the luxury either).
I can get a great deal on our next Gap trip (5% off plus a $500 voucher) plus we have free airfare to South America through award miles, so we are looking to score a solid trip on the cheap!
What I was thinking was doing the following short 8 day Gap trip that is basically Machu Picchu, Lima and Cuzco:
We are purposely avoiding the Inca Trail hike as I think it is a little out of my wife's league and interest (4 days hiking is way too much).
So with only 8 days, where could we tack on another 2-4 independently at the beginning or end from Lima (if not independently, maybe through another agent)? Alternatively, we could do this Gap trip which basically adds 2 more days onto the 8 day trip in the Amazon for a total of 10:
Yet another option is to replace the extra Amazon trip with Lake Titicaca and the Islands of Uros (also double the price for only 2 more days). That trip is here:
The downside is that with these 2 additional days through Gap, it nearly doubles the total price of the trip for only 2 more days! Is that worth it? Is there a better option like a side excursion outside of Lima on our own to something more unique and off the beaten path? We could even take a local flight to Bolivia, Ecuador or Chile for 3-4 days.
We are open to really anything. Should we try and get to Lake Titicaca? The Amazon? La Paz? Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Avenue of Volcanoes
- 2 Trip Report: Studying Spanish in Quito and Cuenca 2007
- 3 Seek Suggestions on Trip to Machu Picchu
- 4 Galapagos and Machu Pichu Itinerary Suggestions
- 5 Machu Picchu in January
- 6 Dining in Medellin
- 7 Medellin's hidden Parque is lovely
- 8 Travel with Children to Galapagos
- 9 Christmastime in Santiago/Valparaiso - what to do, where to stay
- 10 Colca Canyon Earthquake
- 11 Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca), Peru
- 12 10 days in Santiago, Easter Islands, San pedro de atacama, doable?
- 13 santiago chile area
- 14 Beach walk in Rio - Copacabana or Ipanema?
- 15 Reflections on our South America trip
- 16 One Day in Santiago/Tour Guide
- 17 Driving from Santiago to Peurto Montt
- 18 Chile: first cut a travel plan
- 19 Argentina and Bolivia in February and March?
- 20 visit in the area of Campinas,Brazil and weather
- 21 Buying show tickets to Cafe Tortoni
- 22 Iguazu Falls-"Best" Way to Reach/See
- 23 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 24 One week in Cartagena?
- 25 Argentina 3 week Itinerary