My wife and I are looking to go to South America this year and a guided Machu Picchu trip through Gap is reaching the top spot on our list along with another short trip in another city/country or an Amazon Jungle trip as well for 2-4 days.
We are in our late 20's, want to have it be an adventure but not camping style. We like the classic/standard trips from Gap and Intrepid (not the basic but not the luxury either).
I can get a great deal on our next Gap trip (5% off plus a $500 voucher) plus we have free airfare to South America through award miles, so we are looking to score a solid trip on the cheap!
What I was thinking was doing the following short 8 day Gap trip that is basically Machu Picchu, Lima and Cuzco:
We are purposely avoiding the Inca Trail hike as I think it is a little out of my wife's league and interest (4 days hiking is way too much).
So with only 8 days, where could we tack on another 2-4 independently at the beginning or end from Lima (if not independently, maybe through another agent)? Alternatively, we could do this Gap trip which basically adds 2 more days onto the 8 day trip in the Amazon for a total of 10:
Yet another option is to replace the extra Amazon trip with Lake Titicaca and the Islands of Uros (also double the price for only 2 more days). That trip is here:
The downside is that with these 2 additional days through Gap, it nearly doubles the total price of the trip for only 2 more days! Is that worth it? Is there a better option like a side excursion outside of Lima on our own to something more unique and off the beaten path? We could even take a local flight to Bolivia, Ecuador or Chile for 3-4 days.
We are open to really anything. Should we try and get to Lake Titicaca? The Amazon? La Paz? Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Machu Picchu in January
- 2 Two day stay in Lima
- 3 Best beach town for Jan- Feb trip
- 4 Cities near santiago chile?
- 5 I Didn't Get Killed in Rio: Our Travels in Peru, Brazil, and Ecuador
- 6 Iguazu logistics and rental car?
- 7 Leftover Argentine Pesos - where to sell?
- 8 Van from Cusco to Ollantaytambo
- 9 June travel in the Galapagos, Andean Ecuador, and Machu Picchu
- 10 Uyuni Salar Tour Company
- 11 Trip Evacuation Insurance for the Galapagos
- 12 Travelers insurance in Patagonia - need it?
- 13 Huayna Picchu Vs. Machu Picchu Mountain?
- 14 60 day Trip to South America
- 15 3 week itinerary for Peru
- 16 Ups and downs of our trip to Peru--from Machu Picchu to LIM airport floor
- 17 Buenos Aires
- 18 Buenos Aires with bad knee
- 19 Hotels in Argentina
- 20 Patagonia August 29 - September 7
- 21 Help! No Idea Where to Go.
- 22 Need itinerary advice for one month trip
- 23 Cusco Airport to Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza hotel
- 24 Peru itinerary
- 25 Questions On Packing For Patagonia