My wife and I are looking to go to South America this year and a guided Machu Picchu trip through Gap is reaching the top spot on our list along with another short trip in another city/country or an Amazon Jungle trip as well for 2-4 days.
We are in our late 20's, want to have it be an adventure but not camping style. We like the classic/standard trips from Gap and Intrepid (not the basic but not the luxury either).
I can get a great deal on our next Gap trip (5% off plus a $500 voucher) plus we have free airfare to South America through award miles, so we are looking to score a solid trip on the cheap!
What I was thinking was doing the following short 8 day Gap trip that is basically Machu Picchu, Lima and Cuzco:
We are purposely avoiding the Inca Trail hike as I think it is a little out of my wife's league and interest (4 days hiking is way too much).
So with only 8 days, where could we tack on another 2-4 independently at the beginning or end from Lima (if not independently, maybe through another agent)? Alternatively, we could do this Gap trip which basically adds 2 more days onto the 8 day trip in the Amazon for a total of 10:
Yet another option is to replace the extra Amazon trip with Lake Titicaca and the Islands of Uros (also double the price for only 2 more days). That trip is here:
The downside is that with these 2 additional days through Gap, it nearly doubles the total price of the trip for only 2 more days! Is that worth it? Is there a better option like a side excursion outside of Lima on our own to something more unique and off the beaten path? We could even take a local flight to Bolivia, Ecuador or Chile for 3-4 days.
We are open to really anything. Should we try and get to Lake Titicaca? The Amazon? La Paz? Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Atm & credit card use in Peru
- 2 Need Lima restaurant recs
- 3 2 Weeks in Colombia & the Galapagos Islands
- 4 Four Days in Buenos Aires
- 5 Getting thru airport security Buenos Aires
- 6 Southern Bolivia from Northwest Argentina?
- 7 Peru Trip Report-Lima, Paracas, Cusco
- 8 Trip Report - 2 Weeks in Peru, July 2016
- 9 Spring Break Trip to Peru in Mid-March!
- 10 Beach walk in Rio - Copacabana or Ipanema?
- 11 Mindo places with comfortable beds and flexible menus?
- 12 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 13 Ecuador weather forecast - is it accurate?
- 14 Exciting Times in Colombia
- 15 Day Trip Ideas from Rio...
- 16 Best place to exchange USD for Peso
- 17 Galapagos - 11 full days
- 18 Sixty days in Colombia
- 19 Video from Chile (Chiloé & Volcan Calbuco)
- 20 Colca Canyon Earthquake
- 21 Sketching Out a Rough Itinerary - First Trip to South America
- 22 Car rental El Calafate and drop off in Chile
- 23 Lima Foodie Resource(s)
- 24 Argentina - Day trips in Ushuaia
- 25 Iguazu Falls -- 2 nights -- do we have it right?