My wife and I are looking to go to South America this year and a guided Machu Picchu trip through Gap is reaching the top spot on our list along with another short trip in another city/country or an Amazon Jungle trip as well for 2-4 days.
We are in our late 20's, want to have it be an adventure but not camping style. We like the classic/standard trips from Gap and Intrepid (not the basic but not the luxury either).
I can get a great deal on our next Gap trip (5% off plus a $500 voucher) plus we have free airfare to South America through award miles, so we are looking to score a solid trip on the cheap!
What I was thinking was doing the following short 8 day Gap trip that is basically Machu Picchu, Lima and Cuzco:
We are purposely avoiding the Inca Trail hike as I think it is a little out of my wife's league and interest (4 days hiking is way too much).
So with only 8 days, where could we tack on another 2-4 independently at the beginning or end from Lima (if not independently, maybe through another agent)? Alternatively, we could do this Gap trip which basically adds 2 more days onto the 8 day trip in the Amazon for a total of 10:
Yet another option is to replace the extra Amazon trip with Lake Titicaca and the Islands of Uros (also double the price for only 2 more days). That trip is here:
The downside is that with these 2 additional days through Gap, it nearly doubles the total price of the trip for only 2 more days! Is that worth it? Is there a better option like a side excursion outside of Lima on our own to something more unique and off the beaten path? We could even take a local flight to Bolivia, Ecuador or Chile for 3-4 days.
We are open to really anything. Should we try and get to Lake Titicaca? The Amazon? La Paz? Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated!
Macchu Picchu Trip Plus What Else?
- 1 Staying Safe in Buenos Aires
- 2 Making connecting flight in SCL after flying in internationally
- 3 Carribean to Argentina or Uruguay
- 4 Bus from Punta Arenas to Puerto Natales - ticket advice
- 5 8 Days in Brazil
- 6 Brazil - Rio to Sao Paulo
- 7 Practical to combine Amazon + beaches with visit to the Guianas?
- 8 Celebrating A Century Of Flight
- 9 Problems with emails USA-Brazil
- 10 how to get to San Pedro de Atacama, Chile
- 11 Need Help with Itinerary (2.5 Months) (Indian Passport)
- 12 Flight and Lodging in Manaus and Rio
- 13 Where to celebrate the New Year ?
- 14 To Buenos Aires and beyond
- 15 Lower savings with the "blue" exchange rate?
- 16 Peru Hop?
- 17 3 days before Cuzco/Machu Picchu - what to do, where to go
- 18 "Up to" 40% discount on LAN flights around South America today only
- 19 Uruguay Re-Do
- 20 Montevideo, Uruguay
- 21 60 Hours in Buenos Aires: Blue Dollar Heaven
- 22 More suggested reading
- 23 Please help me jump-start planning for Galapagos trip
- 24 Peru Best Tours: Buyers Beware
- 25 Bariloche over XMas