My husband and I are going to Peru for a week in April. We are flying overnight from LA to Lima, arriving in the morning and catching a connecting flight to Cusco, arriving about 2pm.
I've contacted a driver/guide for our 4 days there. He will provide the airport transfer, 2 day tours and a transfer+sightseeing to Cusco. I'm looking for some feedback on our proposed itinerary.
This is the current plan:
Saturday- Arrive Cusco, transfer to Urubamba hotel late afternoon
Sunday- Sacred Valley tour; Ollantaytambo archeological site, Pisaq market and ruins.
Monday- Sacred Valley tour- Maras salt pans, Moray terraces, Chincheros town.
Tuesday- visit Machu Picchu
Wednesday-Transfer from hotel to Cusco, visiting Sacsayhuaman, Quenko , Pucapucara,
Tambomachay, Qoricancha ( temple of the Sun).
1. My reasoning behind visiting MP on a Tuesday is because I'd read Mondays at MP can be busy because most tourists visit the market towns on Sundays and Tuesdays. But because of this, we'd be visiting Chincheros on a Monday when there is no official market day. Is it worth it? I'd really wanted to see the market there. But we will also be at Pisac on Sunday.
2. Should I reorganize the itinerary to go to MP on Monday and do the Day 2 of SV on Tuesday?
3. I'm not sure how long each one of the SV sights takes to visit, but the guide is allowing for about a half day for each tour, returning us to our hotel "after lunch". Does that seem rushed? Part of me thinks so, but the other part wonders if due to altitude, I might welcome the opportunity to rest on those days in the afternoon.
I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Lima Foodie Resource(s)
- 2 Buenos Aires hotel for 2 nights
- 3 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 4 Cusco to Ollantaytambo via Salt Flats
- 5 Any suggestions for tour companies for Inca Trail Trek to MP?
- 6 9 days in Ecuador-need help planning
- 7 Buenos Aires-ideas for side trips
- 8 Self Drive from BsAs to Tierra del Fuego
- 9 Suggested driving route Lima to Huaraz?
- 10 Cajamarca
- 11 Choquequirao Questions
- 12 Advice? First SA experience in Ecuador has so far been disappointing
- 13 Amazon and the Inca Trail
- 14 What to do with two free nites on arrival in Argentina
- 15 South America 2 Months Itinery
- 16 Finalizing Patagonia Itinerary-Suggestions?
- 17 Torres del Paine, 3 hotel oprions
- 18 5 day Galapagos cruise in Nov
- 19 Our ATMs to give 500 and 100 peso bills
- 20 Sixty days in Colombia
- 21 Machu Picchu - NatGeo vs. OAT
- 22 Taking the Bus Santiago Airport to Valpo
- 23 MP and Torres del Paine on same trip?
- 24 Steak house rec in Buenos Aires near Recoleta
- 25 12 Day Peru Itinerary Help