My husband and I are going to Peru for a week in April. We are flying overnight from LA to Lima, arriving in the morning and catching a connecting flight to Cusco, arriving about 2pm.
I've contacted a driver/guide for our 4 days there. He will provide the airport transfer, 2 day tours and a transfer+sightseeing to Cusco. I'm looking for some feedback on our proposed itinerary.
This is the current plan:
Saturday- Arrive Cusco, transfer to Urubamba hotel late afternoon
Sunday- Sacred Valley tour; Ollantaytambo archeological site, Pisaq market and ruins.
Monday- Sacred Valley tour- Maras salt pans, Moray terraces, Chincheros town.
Tuesday- visit Machu Picchu
Wednesday-Transfer from hotel to Cusco, visiting Sacsayhuaman, Quenko , Pucapucara,
Tambomachay, Qoricancha ( temple of the Sun).
1. My reasoning behind visiting MP on a Tuesday is because I'd read Mondays at MP can be busy because most tourists visit the market towns on Sundays and Tuesdays. But because of this, we'd be visiting Chincheros on a Monday when there is no official market day. Is it worth it? I'd really wanted to see the market there. But we will also be at Pisac on Sunday.
2. Should I reorganize the itinerary to go to MP on Monday and do the Day 2 of SV on Tuesday?
3. I'm not sure how long each one of the SV sights takes to visit, but the guide is allowing for about a half day for each tour, returning us to our hotel "after lunch". Does that seem rushed? Part of me thinks so, but the other part wonders if due to altitude, I might welcome the opportunity to rest on those days in the afternoon.
I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Argentina &TDP-8th-18th April.
- 2 Colombia, best adventures for birthday.
- 3 Salta/NW Argentina, no car
- 4 Route of the Seven Lakes drive
- 5 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 6 Safety warning?
- 7 Bariloche rafting trips
- 8 Four Days in Buenos Aires
- 9 Mom wants to go to cusco/macchu picchu in 5 days - impossible?
- 10 Bariloche and San Martin de los Andes
- 11 El Calafate and El Chalten
- 12 Cape Horn cruise in Feb. or March?
- 13 Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca), Peru
- 14 Trip Report - First time in Buenos Aires/Iguazu Falls/Rio de Janeiro
- 15 Iguazu falls logistics
- 16 Packing for Chile in November
- 17 Lima stopover
- 18 Buenos Aires AND Iguazu Falls?
- 19 Amazon side trip
- 20 travel from el calafate direct to Torres delPaine
- 21 First Trip to Colombia Advice Needed!
- 22 Domestic Flights within Chile
- 23 Argentina ( Junin de Los Andes)in mid January
- 24 Wine tour & transfer from Valparaiso to Santiago Airport
- 25 Uruguay, then Buenos Aires in early March