I am an experienced traveler who has visited over 104 countries and dealt with many tour operators, good and bad, and Kensington Tours was by far my worst experience with any of them. I’m sharing my recent experience below in the sole hope that others considering this company will have some indication of what they are getting into.
In March 2013 I arranged a 10 day itinerary with Kensington Tours for two for a tour of Santiago, Chile, and parts of Patagonia in Chile and Argentina for a cost of $15,000 (exclusive of international airfare).
- From the outset Kensington refused to provide names or contact information for any drivers or guides meeting us at during any phase of our trip.
- During one leg a driver almost failed to show up entirely, arriving over half an hour late as we were prepared to give up waiting and board a taxi.
- Kensington’s agents in Santiago had no knowledge of two meals confirmed on our itinerary.
- Kensington insisted we would be flying to Lima, Peru when our itinerary had us confirmed for Punta Arenas, Chile.
- Kensington scheduled a 5:20am car for a 6:00am flight, knowing that the airport was 35 minutes away.
- During a six hour drive from Torres Del Paine to El Calafate for which we had confirmed a box lunch, the lunch was forgotten by the guide, and no water was available for the entire journey.
- When inquiring about adding Machu Picchu to our schedule Kensington made no attempt to warn us that on February 13th the U.S. Embassy in Lima issued a security message for US citizens indicating a specific threat to kidnap U.S. citizens in the Cusco and Machu Picchu area.
- Kensington went ahead and charged $11,000 for the Machu Picchu trip to my credit card without my consent and with full knowledge that we were no longer interested. They reversed the charge only after being warned by the President of American Express Platinum that this was unacceptable behavior from a merchant affiliate.
I am not seeking any form of compensation from Kensington, but I hope that others will heed the above and spare themselves a similar experience.
Andy from Amagansett
World Traveller Since 1967
Kensington Tours - Warning
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Plan a 3 month South America trip in less than 2 months
- 2 JW Marriott Lima
- 3 More Help With Retirement Trip
- 4 Trip Report - Very Long
- 5 Any recommendations for guide at Iguazu?
- 6 My Trip to the Galapagos
- 7 Sisters trip to Argentina and Chile
- 8 Quito recommendations
- 9 60 Hours in Buenos Aires: Blue Dollar Heaven
- 10 Yellow Fever Vaccination Clinic in Salta?
- 11 Which airline to fly to Cusco?
- 12 Able to buy Machu Picchu tickets online today!
- 13 To Buenos Aires and beyond
- 14 AEP to Recoleta - Taxi/Bus/Car Service
- 15 Cell phone in Brazil?
- 16 Out travels in Bolivia Peru and Ecuador
- 17 Gifts to Bring to Peru
- 18 Ecuador weekend beach trip - is it possible?
- 19 Salta itinerary- 4 nights
- 20 Ecuador-tour guides
- 21 Rio, Iguassu Falls and Buenos Aires
- 22 Lima or Ollantaytambo for Spanish Lessons
- 23 lima airport transport
- 24 Bird Poop Scam Making a Comeback
- 25 Father Daughter Trip to Peru