I am an experienced traveler who has visited over 104 countries and dealt with many tour operators, good and bad, and Kensington Tours was by far my worst experience with any of them. I’m sharing my recent experience below in the sole hope that others considering this company will have some indication of what they are getting into.
In March 2013 I arranged a 10 day itinerary with Kensington Tours for two for a tour of Santiago, Chile, and parts of Patagonia in Chile and Argentina for a cost of $15,000 (exclusive of international airfare).
- From the outset Kensington refused to provide names or contact information for any drivers or guides meeting us at during any phase of our trip.
- During one leg a driver almost failed to show up entirely, arriving over half an hour late as we were prepared to give up waiting and board a taxi.
- Kensington’s agents in Santiago had no knowledge of two meals confirmed on our itinerary.
- Kensington insisted we would be flying to Lima, Peru when our itinerary had us confirmed for Punta Arenas, Chile.
- Kensington scheduled a 5:20am car for a 6:00am flight, knowing that the airport was 35 minutes away.
- During a six hour drive from Torres Del Paine to El Calafate for which we had confirmed a box lunch, the lunch was forgotten by the guide, and no water was available for the entire journey.
- When inquiring about adding Machu Picchu to our schedule Kensington made no attempt to warn us that on February 13th the U.S. Embassy in Lima issued a security message for US citizens indicating a specific threat to kidnap U.S. citizens in the Cusco and Machu Picchu area.
- Kensington went ahead and charged $11,000 for the Machu Picchu trip to my credit card without my consent and with full knowledge that we were no longer interested. They reversed the charge only after being warned by the President of American Express Platinum that this was unacceptable behavior from a merchant affiliate.
I am not seeking any form of compensation from Kensington, but I hope that others will heed the above and spare themselves a similar experience.
Andy from Amagansett
World Traveller Since 1967
Kensington Tours - Warning
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 arpilleras - where to buy ?
- 2 Chile, Brazil and New York Trip report - live
- 3 Trip Report
- 4 flights from Buenos Aires to Iguazu Falls
- 5 3 Days Extra in NW Argentina
- 6 Need help. Anyone?Amazon (Brazil)
- 7 Patagonia Trip Report: Kayaking, Riding and Hiking in the South
- 8 Astrid y Gaston, Lima, Peru: A mini trip report for foodies only
- 9 1st South American adventure
- 10 Short trip to Chile during New Year?
- 11 Puerto Varas / Puerto Montt - Rent a car or ...
- 12 Sending good wishes to Kathie and Cheryl
- 13 Galapagos.. questions about cruises, seasons, Quito hotels
- 14 Has anyone used Alasperuanas in Pisco?
- 15 For Neoptropical Birders
- 16 Columbia Questions
- 17 Posadas-Paraguay-Brazil-Iguassu: Please, Help Find the Tour Operator
- 18 hotels in Buenos Aires
- 19 2nd Leg Retirement Trip
- 20 Ecuador Rain Forest with Pre-teens
- 21 Any suggestions for restaurants in Manaus?
- 22 Help with One Week, Christmas, Buenos Aires, solo female traveler
- 23 flights and hotels
- 24 Driver, Mendoza
- 25 Recommendations on where to buy an alpaca coat/jacket in Cusco?