I´m in Bolivia at the moment (Cochabamba to be exact), and I´m considering doing some voluntary work whilst I´m here. I was thinking about signing up with a company from Manchester, England (my home town) called Kaya Responsible Travel to make all the arrangements for me - but I´m having serious doubts.
I´ve been speaking to people in on-line forums who have been on volunteer projects with them, and they said their experience was a bit of a disaster.
Some things they mentioned :-
Nobody at the airport to meet them, and having to get their own way to their accommodation - and then, no one at home to let them in.
Projects changed at the last minute, or nothing definite arranged until they arrived.
No contact details for the Project Manager, who they saw only a couple of times during their stay - and actually getting more help from the Project Manager from a different company.
In the accommodation - a bicycle chain wrapped round the fridge to stop volunteers getting to the milk. (!!!)
Dry crackers for breakfast.
And this is the killer punch as far as I see it - children in their accommodation throwing the volunteers things over the balcony into the street !
So, my question - Does anyone have any experience of volunteering with Kaya Responsible Travel, or know anyone who has ?
PLEASE tell me it´s not as bad as I´ve been told !
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Buy Data-based Registered High Quality Real Documents.
- 2 Laundry Options in Peru
- 3 Back "home" in Barranco
- 4 Amazon, OIlantaytambo, Colca Canyon, Pacasmay and About
- 5 Where to Spend 10 Days in June/July! Central v. South America
- 6 Home exchange to Brazil: cultural differences.
- 7 house/apartment rental
- 8 Renting house in Bariloche
- 9 Destination Recommendation (w/ specifics)
- 10 Uruguay for wildlife
- 11 Elevation acclimatization, transportation, and lodging help!?
- 12 Car and Driver in Rio De Janeiro
- 13 Wha to expect from Cartagena, Colombia.
- 14 Itinerary help - Argentina and....?
- 15 Ecuador Trip Plan: What did we get right and wrong?
- 16 El Calafate excursions
- 17 Ecuador earthquake
- 18 Peru & Ecuador
- 19 Welltravbrit's Colombia - Statues, Tombs, and Carnaval!
- 20 Our 2016 South America Trip
- 21 Peru - Chinchero questions
- 22 Mendoza airport will be closed: Sept- Dec
- 23 Cusco and Machu Picchu
- 24 Stray Dogs?
- 25 Salkantay trek