I´m in Bolivia at the moment (Cochabamba to be exact), and I´m considering doing some voluntary work whilst I´m here. I was thinking about signing up with a company from Manchester, England (my home town) called Kaya Responsible Travel to make all the arrangements for me - but I´m having serious doubts.
I´ve been speaking to people in on-line forums who have been on volunteer projects with them, and they said their experience was a bit of a disaster.
Some things they mentioned :-
Nobody at the airport to meet them, and having to get their own way to their accommodation - and then, no one at home to let them in.
Projects changed at the last minute, or nothing definite arranged until they arrived.
No contact details for the Project Manager, who they saw only a couple of times during their stay - and actually getting more help from the Project Manager from a different company.
In the accommodation - a bicycle chain wrapped round the fridge to stop volunteers getting to the milk. (!!!)
Dry crackers for breakfast.
And this is the killer punch as far as I see it - children in their accommodation throwing the volunteers things over the balcony into the street !
So, my question - Does anyone have any experience of volunteering with Kaya Responsible Travel, or know anyone who has ?
PLEASE tell me it´s not as bad as I´ve been told !
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Rio Water Quality
- 2 Accessibility to Igassu Falls
- 3 Machu Picchu in January
- 4 I Didn't Get Killed in Rio: Our Travels in Peru, Brazil, and Ecuador
- 5 Two day stay in Lima
- 6 Best beach town for Jan- Feb trip
- 7 Cities near santiago chile?
- 8 Iguazu logistics and rental car?
- 9 Leftover Argentine Pesos - where to sell?
- 10 Van from Cusco to Ollantaytambo
- 11 June travel in the Galapagos, Andean Ecuador, and Machu Picchu
- 12 Uyuni Salar Tour Company
- 13 Trip Evacuation Insurance for the Galapagos
- 14 Travelers insurance in Patagonia - need it?
- 15 Huayna Picchu Vs. Machu Picchu Mountain?
- 16 60 day Trip to South America
- 17 3 week itinerary for Peru
- 18 Ups and downs of our trip to Peru--from Machu Picchu to LIM airport floor
- 19 Buenos Aires
- 20 Buenos Aires with bad knee
- 21 Hotels in Argentina
- 22 Patagonia August 29 - September 7
- 23 Help! No Idea Where to Go.
- 24 Need itinerary advice for one month trip
- 25 Cusco Airport to Tierra Viva Cusco Plaza hotel