I´m in Bolivia at the moment (Cochabamba to be exact), and I´m considering doing some voluntary work whilst I´m here. I was thinking about signing up with a company from Manchester, England (my home town) called Kaya Responsible Travel to make all the arrangements for me - but I´m having serious doubts.
I´ve been speaking to people in on-line forums who have been on volunteer projects with them, and they said their experience was a bit of a disaster.
Some things they mentioned :-
Nobody at the airport to meet them, and having to get their own way to their accommodation - and then, no one at home to let them in.
Projects changed at the last minute, or nothing definite arranged until they arrived.
No contact details for the Project Manager, who they saw only a couple of times during their stay - and actually getting more help from the Project Manager from a different company.
In the accommodation - a bicycle chain wrapped round the fridge to stop volunteers getting to the milk. (!!!)
Dry crackers for breakfast.
And this is the killer punch as far as I see it - children in their accommodation throwing the volunteers things over the balcony into the street !
So, my question - Does anyone have any experience of volunteering with Kaya Responsible Travel, or know anyone who has ?
PLEASE tell me it´s not as bad as I´ve been told !
KAYA Responsible Travel
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Santiago 2 days
- 2 I need some help about bringing some stuffs to Brazil
- 3 Colombia´s Lake Guatavita and the search for El Dorado
- 4 Villa de Leyva, Colombia´s colonial gem
- 5 Cachi-Cafayate 9-10 August. Looking to share car rental costs
- 6 3 Months South America: Argentina - Bolivia - Peru. Ideas?
- 7 Obtaining a visa while abroad
- 8 Pantanal or rurrenbaque?
- 9 Lodge in Pantanal
- 10 Pantanal on your own
- 11 Visa Question: U.S. Citizen Flying from Brazil to Bolivia
- 12 2 weeks in Argentina - end of Nov. to early Dec.
- 13 Valparaiso Hotels - which one to stay in March??
- 14 14 days in Brazil mid-december through New Year's Eve- help please
- 15 Amazon River & surrounds: How much is practical in 3 weeks?
- 16 Patagonia...You took our breath away
- 17 Buying a one way ticket into South America
- 18 Cell phone in Brazil
- 19 10 Full Days in Peru
- 20 Fly to Fernando de Noronha
- 21 10 day itinerary questions
- 22 Huayna Picchu Vs. Machu Picchu Mountain?
- 23 Please comment on this 8 week itinerary (Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia, Peru)!
- 24 Iguazu Falls for a single woman?
- 25 ATM San Pedro de Atacama