I´m in Bolivia at the moment (Cochabamba to be exact), and I´m considering doing some voluntary work whilst I´m here. I was thinking about signing up with a company from Manchester, England (my home town) called Kaya Responsible Travel to make all the arrangements for me - but I´m having serious doubts.
I´ve been speaking to people in on-line forums who have been on volunteer projects with them, and they said their experience was a bit of a disaster.
Some things they mentioned :-
Nobody at the airport to meet them, and having to get their own way to their accommodation - and then, no one at home to let them in.
Projects changed at the last minute, or nothing definite arranged until they arrived.
No contact details for the Project Manager, who they saw only a couple of times during their stay - and actually getting more help from the Project Manager from a different company.
In the accommodation - a bicycle chain wrapped round the fridge to stop volunteers getting to the milk. (!!!)
Dry crackers for breakfast.
And this is the killer punch as far as I see it - children in their accommodation throwing the volunteers things over the balcony into the street !
So, my question - Does anyone have any experience of volunteering with Kaya Responsible Travel, or know anyone who has ?
PLEASE tell me it´s not as bad as I´ve been told !
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Machu Picchu train - luggage limits?
- 2 South American city for 2 female travelers to visit mid June?
- 3 http://www.supplementscart.com/garcinia-x5-reviews/
- 4 Cruz del Sur bus - Lima to Paracas
- 5 One week in Cartagena?
- 6 Can USA citizens avoid hotel taxes?
- 7 Lunahuana
- 8 Lima-Cusco-Ollantaytambo-Machu Picchu first timers
- 9 Hiking Tour Companies - Machu Picchu & Chile
- 10 Argentina in 15 days with a toddler: Trip report!
- 11 Cordoba-scenic small towns nearby
- 12 Family Adventure in Ecuador
- 13 Exploring the cities of Ecuador's Andes
- 14 Choquequirao Questions
- 15 Trip Report to BsAs and Patagonia (With Pics and Vids)
- 16 MARCHU PICCHU
- 17 Santiago > Valparaiso: worth driving?
- 18 What type of currency for Bolivia
- 19 Cordoba horseback riding day trip
- 20 Thoughts on our itinerary?
- 21 Agency to purchase tickets to US
- 22 Chile/Patagonia/Torres del Paine/Valparaiso
- 23 Ecuador Pure Life (tour operator) - very negative experience
- 24 Need Dinner recommendations for 12 Peru trip
- 25 Another Brazil Visa Application Form question!