I´m in Bolivia at the moment (Cochabamba to be exact), and I´m considering doing some voluntary work whilst I´m here. I was thinking about signing up with a company from Manchester, England (my home town) called Kaya Responsible Travel to make all the arrangements for me - but I´m having serious doubts.
I´ve been speaking to people in on-line forums who have been on volunteer projects with them, and they said their experience was a bit of a disaster.
Some things they mentioned :-
Nobody at the airport to meet them, and having to get their own way to their accommodation - and then, no one at home to let them in.
Projects changed at the last minute, or nothing definite arranged until they arrived.
No contact details for the Project Manager, who they saw only a couple of times during their stay - and actually getting more help from the Project Manager from a different company.
In the accommodation - a bicycle chain wrapped round the fridge to stop volunteers getting to the milk. (!!!)
Dry crackers for breakfast.
And this is the killer punch as far as I see it - children in their accommodation throwing the volunteers things over the balcony into the street !
So, my question - Does anyone have any experience of volunteering with Kaya Responsible Travel, or know anyone who has ?
PLEASE tell me it´s not as bad as I´ve been told !
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Trip Report - Peru - Long
- 2 Sacred Valley/Inca Trail April 2015 Trip Report
- 3 Pantanal tour prices
- 4 My Lima Layover
- 5 Strike Peru May 27-28 - urgent decision
- 6 Safety in Rio?
- 7 Not your usual Lima Layover Trip Report
- 8 New to traveling, and I need help.
- 9 Areas to stay in Rio de Janiero and Buenos Aires
- 10 Travel Agent Recommendation for Patagonia
- 11 Absolute must in 3-4 days in Galapagos
- 12 Planning Trip to Patagonia and Wine Country
- 13 Do you need passes to see machu picch?
- 14 Travel in Brazil or visit Machu Picchu?
- 15 It's Restaurant Week in Lima til 24 May
- 16 Hostels in Rio de Janeiro
- 17 Recommended tour companies for the Galapagos Islands
- 18 Itinerary Advice..+/- days advice
- 19 recommended hostels in lima and cuzco
- 20 tours and tips
- 21 Transportation from Santiago airport to Valparaiso or Vina del Mar
- 22 Best plan for 6 days between Cuenca and Quito?
- 23 Buenos Aires to Rio de Janeiro
- 24 Water in Peru
- 25 Tours to Machu Picchu