I´m in Bolivia at the moment (Cochabamba to be exact), and I´m considering doing some voluntary work whilst I´m here. I was thinking about signing up with a company from Manchester, England (my home town) called Kaya Responsible Travel to make all the arrangements for me - but I´m having serious doubts.
I´ve been speaking to people in on-line forums who have been on volunteer projects with them, and they said their experience was a bit of a disaster.
Some things they mentioned :-
Nobody at the airport to meet them, and having to get their own way to their accommodation - and then, no one at home to let them in.
Projects changed at the last minute, or nothing definite arranged until they arrived.
No contact details for the Project Manager, who they saw only a couple of times during their stay - and actually getting more help from the Project Manager from a different company.
In the accommodation - a bicycle chain wrapped round the fridge to stop volunteers getting to the milk. (!!!)
Dry crackers for breakfast.
And this is the killer punch as far as I see it - children in their accommodation throwing the volunteers things over the balcony into the street !
So, my question - Does anyone have any experience of volunteering with Kaya Responsible Travel, or know anyone who has ?
PLEASE tell me it´s not as bad as I´ve been told !
KAYA Responsible Travel
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Touring Iguazu Falls
- 2 Independent travel vs. tour of Buenis Aires
- 3 Chile/Patagonia Itinerary Questions
- 4 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 5 Lima-Paracas-Nazca-Huacachina-Lima (bus/drive)
- 6 Hawaii or Rio for single male traveler
- 7 New Years Eve: Rio or Buenos Aires?
- 8 Tour guides needed for SugarLoaf and Corcovado? Transfer recs?
- 9 4 weeks in Chile
- 10 Lima-Paracas-Nazca: in 1 day?
- 11 New Year's Eve in Lima
- 12 Bogota - Is it safe?
- 13 Para Ti, Brazil
- 14 Advice needed for Colombia
- 15 Chile and Argentina
- 16 To Iguazu Falls, No Time To Tango
- 17 2nd Leg Retirement Trip
- 18 In Celebration of Retiring: A Luxe Trip to Peru
- 19 Buenos Aires GTG, Tuesday, Jan.13
- 20 El valle de Elquí
- 21 Need a "just in case" Buenos Aires restaurant recommendation
- 22 Columbia Questions
- 23 Bogota
- 24 Planning 3 weeks in Columbia
- 25 Bus tickets from El Calafate to Puerto Natales (Patagonia) in December?