I´m in Bolivia at the moment (Cochabamba to be exact), and I´m considering doing some voluntary work whilst I´m here. I was thinking about signing up with a company from Manchester, England (my home town) called Kaya Responsible Travel to make all the arrangements for me - but I´m having serious doubts.
I´ve been speaking to people in on-line forums who have been on volunteer projects with them, and they said their experience was a bit of a disaster.
Some things they mentioned :-
Nobody at the airport to meet them, and having to get their own way to their accommodation - and then, no one at home to let them in.
Projects changed at the last minute, or nothing definite arranged until they arrived.
No contact details for the Project Manager, who they saw only a couple of times during their stay - and actually getting more help from the Project Manager from a different company.
In the accommodation - a bicycle chain wrapped round the fridge to stop volunteers getting to the milk. (!!!)
Dry crackers for breakfast.
And this is the killer punch as far as I see it - children in their accommodation throwing the volunteers things over the balcony into the street !
So, my question - Does anyone have any experience of volunteering with Kaya Responsible Travel, or know anyone who has ?
PLEASE tell me it´s not as bad as I´ve been told !
KAYA Responsible Travel
- 1 Iquitos, Gateway to the Peruvian Amazon rain forest
- 2 Practical to combine Amazon + beaches with visit to the Guianas?
- 3 Celebrating A Century Of Flight
- 4 Problems with emails USA-Brazil
- 5 how to get to San Pedro de Atacama, Chile
- 6 8 Days in Brazil
- 7 Need Help with Itinerary (2.5 Months) (Indian Passport)
- 8 Carribean to Argentina or Uruguay
- 9 Flight and Lodging in Manaus and Rio
- 10 Where to celebrate the New Year ?
- 11 To Buenos Aires and beyond
- 12 Lower savings with the "blue" exchange rate?
- 13 Peru Hop?
- 14 3 days before Cuzco/Machu Picchu - what to do, where to go
- 15 "Up to" 40% discount on LAN flights around South America today only
- 16 Uruguay Re-Do
- 17 Montevideo, Uruguay
- 18 60 Hours in Buenos Aires: Blue Dollar Heaven
- 19 More suggested reading
- 20 Please help me jump-start planning for Galapagos trip
- 21 Peru Best Tours: Buyers Beware
- 22 Bariloche over XMas
- 23 Quark Expeditions 50% off sale - Antarctica 2014
- 24 Traveling with a Computer?
- 25 Christmas Day in Buenos Aires