I´m in Bolivia at the moment (Cochabamba to be exact), and I´m considering doing some voluntary work whilst I´m here. I was thinking about signing up with a company from Manchester, England (my home town) called Kaya Responsible Travel to make all the arrangements for me - but I´m having serious doubts.
I´ve been speaking to people in on-line forums who have been on volunteer projects with them, and they said their experience was a bit of a disaster.
Some things they mentioned :-
Nobody at the airport to meet them, and having to get their own way to their accommodation - and then, no one at home to let them in.
Projects changed at the last minute, or nothing definite arranged until they arrived.
No contact details for the Project Manager, who they saw only a couple of times during their stay - and actually getting more help from the Project Manager from a different company.
In the accommodation - a bicycle chain wrapped round the fridge to stop volunteers getting to the milk. (!!!)
Dry crackers for breakfast.
And this is the killer punch as far as I see it - children in their accommodation throwing the volunteers things over the balcony into the street !
So, my question - Does anyone have any experience of volunteering with Kaya Responsible Travel, or know anyone who has ?
PLEASE tell me it´s not as bad as I´ve been told !
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Santiago/Valpo and Machu Pichu in 8 nights?
- 2 Visiting Buenos Aires
- 3 Devil's Nose Train and Riobamba
- 4 Peru---vaccines and tips
- 5 Argentia/Brazil or CapeTown/Seychelles Nov-Dec 2015
- 6 Travel Report For Brazil
- 7 3 weeks to travel
- 8 Living in rural South America
- 9 Bolivia and Peru in 5 weeks
- 10 Video Report: Argentina, Patagonia Part 1
- 11 Final dinner tonight
- 12 Bolivianischen and Peru in 5 weeks
- 13 anyone stayed at Alta Piazza in Buenos Aries?
- 14 BA & Patagonia - 9 days in November
- 15 First Time in Argentina and Brazil - Buenos Aires and Rio questions
- 16 Visiting Medellin
- 17 Galapagos: Land based visit + short cruise - opinions appreciated!
- 18 Walking sticks for Machu Picchu?
- 19 brazil beach vacation.... or will get mugged?
- 20 Iguazu logistics and rental car?
- 21 CasaCor Peru October 2015
- 22 Chile in February and March
- 23 5/6 Hour Layover in Santiago - Advice Please
- 24 Rio and Iguacu
- 25 Galapagos Island