I´m in Bolivia at the moment (Cochabamba to be exact), and I´m considering doing some voluntary work whilst I´m here. I was thinking about signing up with a company from Manchester, England (my home town) called Kaya Responsible Travel to make all the arrangements for me - but I´m having serious doubts.
I´ve been speaking to people in on-line forums who have been on volunteer projects with them, and they said their experience was a bit of a disaster.
Some things they mentioned :-
Nobody at the airport to meet them, and having to get their own way to their accommodation - and then, no one at home to let them in.
Projects changed at the last minute, or nothing definite arranged until they arrived.
No contact details for the Project Manager, who they saw only a couple of times during their stay - and actually getting more help from the Project Manager from a different company.
In the accommodation - a bicycle chain wrapped round the fridge to stop volunteers getting to the milk. (!!!)
Dry crackers for breakfast.
And this is the killer punch as far as I see it - children in their accommodation throwing the volunteers things over the balcony into the street !
So, my question - Does anyone have any experience of volunteering with Kaya Responsible Travel, or know anyone who has ?
PLEASE tell me it´s not as bad as I´ve been told !
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 salkantay trek
- 2 Quito, Galapagos and Otavalo
- 3 Grey Glacier in Patagonia, Chile
- 4 Rainbow mountain trek
- 5 Punta Arenas or Puerto Natales?
- 6 Cusco/Machu Picchu Trip
- 7 Trip Report : Peru, Bolivia and Argentina
- 8 Huayhuash Circuit in May - good-value trekking companies
- 9 please help with Argentine Patagonia planning
- 10 Northwest Argentina - Specific Itinerary Questions
- 11 Weight limits on LATAM airlines
- 12 Chile/Patagonia/Torres del Paine/Valparaiso
- 13 2 week Brazil, Argentina and Peru itinerary
- 14 Iquitos
- 15 Peru 3 Week Itinerary Feedback PLS!
- 16 Restaurant Iguazu Falls
- 17 1 Month Backpacking Peru Itinerary Check
- 18 In Celebration of Retiring: A Luxe Trip to Peru
- 19 Escaping the northern hemisphere winter in the Santiago area?
- 20 Brazil/Buzios: Booking bus tickets in advance?
- 21 Family Adventure in Ecuador
- 22 transport to San Antonio De Areco, Argentina
- 23 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 24 Agency to purchase tickets to US
- 25 AllenBrooks- guide/driver in Rio