I´m in Bolivia at the moment (Cochabamba to be exact), and I´m considering doing some voluntary work whilst I´m here. I was thinking about signing up with a company from Manchester, England (my home town) called Kaya Responsible Travel to make all the arrangements for me - but I´m having serious doubts.
I´ve been speaking to people in on-line forums who have been on volunteer projects with them, and they said their experience was a bit of a disaster.
Some things they mentioned :-
Nobody at the airport to meet them, and having to get their own way to their accommodation - and then, no one at home to let them in.
Projects changed at the last minute, or nothing definite arranged until they arrived.
No contact details for the Project Manager, who they saw only a couple of times during their stay - and actually getting more help from the Project Manager from a different company.
In the accommodation - a bicycle chain wrapped round the fridge to stop volunteers getting to the milk. (!!!)
Dry crackers for breakfast.
And this is the killer punch as far as I see it - children in their accommodation throwing the volunteers things over the balcony into the street !
So, my question - Does anyone have any experience of volunteering with Kaya Responsible Travel, or know anyone who has ?
PLEASE tell me it´s not as bad as I´ve been told !
KAYA Responsible Travel
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Trip Report
- 2 flights from Buenos Aires to Iguazu Falls
- 3 3 Days Extra in NW Argentina
- 4 Need help. Anyone?Amazon (Brazil)
- 5 Patagonia Trip Report: Kayaking, Riding and Hiking in the South
- 6 Astrid y Gaston, Lima, Peru: A mini trip report for foodies only
- 7 1st South American adventure
- 8 Short trip to Chile during New Year?
- 9 Chile, Brazil and New York Trip report - live
- 10 Puerto Varas / Puerto Montt - Rent a car or ...
- 11 Sending good wishes to Kathie and Cheryl
- 12 Galapagos.. questions about cruises, seasons, Quito hotels
- 13 Has anyone used Alasperuanas in Pisco?
- 14 For Neoptropical Birders
- 15 Columbia Questions
- 16 Posadas-Paraguay-Brazil-Iguassu: Please, Help Find the Tour Operator
- 17 hotels in Buenos Aires
- 18 2nd Leg Retirement Trip
- 19 Ecuador Rain Forest with Pre-teens
- 20 Any suggestions for restaurants in Manaus?
- 21 Help with One Week, Christmas, Buenos Aires, solo female traveler
- 22 flights and hotels
- 23 Driver, Mendoza
- 24 Recommendations on where to buy an alpaca coat/jacket in Cusco?
- 25 amazon jungle trips