I´m in Bolivia at the moment (Cochabamba to be exact), and I´m considering doing some voluntary work whilst I´m here. I was thinking about signing up with a company from Manchester, England (my home town) called Kaya Responsible Travel to make all the arrangements for me - but I´m having serious doubts.
I´ve been speaking to people in on-line forums who have been on volunteer projects with them, and they said their experience was a bit of a disaster.
Some things they mentioned :-
Nobody at the airport to meet them, and having to get their own way to their accommodation - and then, no one at home to let them in.
Projects changed at the last minute, or nothing definite arranged until they arrived.
No contact details for the Project Manager, who they saw only a couple of times during their stay - and actually getting more help from the Project Manager from a different company.
In the accommodation - a bicycle chain wrapped round the fridge to stop volunteers getting to the milk. (!!!)
Dry crackers for breakfast.
And this is the killer punch as far as I see it - children in their accommodation throwing the volunteers things over the balcony into the street !
So, my question - Does anyone have any experience of volunteering with Kaya Responsible Travel, or know anyone who has ?
PLEASE tell me it´s not as bad as I´ve been told !
KAYA Responsible Travel
- 1 Recommendations for Amazon tours
- 2 Estancia near Mendoza?
- 3 19 day Peru Itinerary, your thoughts?
- 4 11-day trip to Easter Island and Santiago.
- 5 Buenos Aires and Beyond for a Beginner
- 6 Machu Pichu accomodation
- 7 Back to South America
- 8 Vaya Adventures
- 9 Should we go to Iguazu Falls?
- 10 travel to iguazu?
- 11 First South American 2 month trip: Help review please !
- 12 We will be in Rio during carnival. Advice needed please.
- 13 Had to cancel our trip to Peru
- 14 Van rental in Punta Arena, Chile
- 15 Route planning- 28 weeks and counting. 1 year South America
- 16 Crees organisation and foundation and Manu Learning Centre
- 17 Recommendations for Galapagos islands tours
- 18 Backpacking South America 2014, Gringo + Backpack = Mochilero
- 19 A spare day at Machu Pichu
- 20 2 weeks in Peru or 1 week in Peru and 1 in Chile
- 21 Need Driver for Iguazu Falls & Foz da Iguacu
- 22 Travel agency review: Untamed Path for Ecuador/Galapagos
- 23 La Cabrera -- really good or tourist trap?
- 24 Help with Flight Delays & Planning????
- 25 Flights on LAN