I´m in Bolivia at the moment (Cochabamba to be exact), and I´m considering doing some voluntary work whilst I´m here. I was thinking about signing up with a company from Manchester, England (my home town) called Kaya Responsible Travel to make all the arrangements for me - but I´m having serious doubts.
I´ve been speaking to people in on-line forums who have been on volunteer projects with them, and they said their experience was a bit of a disaster.
Some things they mentioned :-
Nobody at the airport to meet them, and having to get their own way to their accommodation - and then, no one at home to let them in.
Projects changed at the last minute, or nothing definite arranged until they arrived.
No contact details for the Project Manager, who they saw only a couple of times during their stay - and actually getting more help from the Project Manager from a different company.
In the accommodation - a bicycle chain wrapped round the fridge to stop volunteers getting to the milk. (!!!)
Dry crackers for breakfast.
And this is the killer punch as far as I see it - children in their accommodation throwing the volunteers things over the balcony into the street !
So, my question - Does anyone have any experience of volunteering with Kaya Responsible Travel, or know anyone who has ?
PLEASE tell me it´s not as bad as I´ve been told !
KAYA Responsible Travel
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Where to stay in Rio before a Cruise?
- 2 Valpariso or Vina del Mar for sr citizens - two nights
- 3 First Time to Peru: Need Help with Child-Friendly Itinerary
- 4 Peru jungle – looking for wildlife/comfort balance
- 5 2-week Peru itinerary - any advice or recommended changes?
- 6 Peru & Altitude Questions
- 7 Packing for Peru in August - Recommendations?
- 8 Brazil/Buzios: Booking bus tickets in advance?
- 9 2 wks in Colombia
- 10 Patagonia...You took our breath away
- 11 Peru and Brazil: A South American Adventure
- 12 Ecuador 5 to 6 weeks
- 13 Dentist in Buenos Aires
- 14 iguaza falls
- 15 Argentina Holiday Help
- 16 Lost andean immigration card for Ecuador - problem on exit?
- 17 Buenos Aries
- 18 Tour guide for Machu Picchu
- 19 Travel to Ecuador in pregnancy
- 20 14 days in Brazil mid-december through New Year's Eve- help please
- 21 cheap flights to paraguay
- 22 Lake Titicaca and Puno - advice on itinerary and altitude sickness?
- 23 Amazon River & surrounds: How much is practical in 3 weeks?
- 24 CHILE, please help me in planning our trip.....
- 25 I SURVIVED PERU (subtitle: yes, it's safe for a solo female traveler)