I´m in Bolivia at the moment (Cochabamba to be exact), and I´m considering doing some voluntary work whilst I´m here. I was thinking about signing up with a company from Manchester, England (my home town) called Kaya Responsible Travel to make all the arrangements for me - but I´m having serious doubts.
I´ve been speaking to people in on-line forums who have been on volunteer projects with them, and they said their experience was a bit of a disaster.
Some things they mentioned :-
Nobody at the airport to meet them, and having to get their own way to their accommodation - and then, no one at home to let them in.
Projects changed at the last minute, or nothing definite arranged until they arrived.
No contact details for the Project Manager, who they saw only a couple of times during their stay - and actually getting more help from the Project Manager from a different company.
In the accommodation - a bicycle chain wrapped round the fridge to stop volunteers getting to the milk. (!!!)
Dry crackers for breakfast.
And this is the killer punch as far as I see it - children in their accommodation throwing the volunteers things over the balcony into the street !
So, my question - Does anyone have any experience of volunteering with Kaya Responsible Travel, or know anyone who has ?
PLEASE tell me it´s not as bad as I´ve been told !
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Torres del Paine, 3 hotel oprions
- 2 5 day Galapagos cruise in Nov
- 3 Finalizing Patagonia Itinerary-Suggestions?
- 4 http://www.prohealthguides.com/fitcrew-usa-xtreme-testrone/
- 5 What to do with two free nites on arrival in Argentina
- 6 Advice? First SA experience in Ecuador has so far been disappointing
- 7 Our ATMs to give 500 and 100 peso bills
- 8 Suggested driving route Lima to Huaraz?
- 9 Sixty days in Colombia
- 10 Machu Picchu - NatGeo vs. OAT
- 11 Taking the Bus Santiago Airport to Valpo
- 12 MP and Torres del Paine on same trip?
- 13 Steak house rec in Buenos Aires near Recoleta
- 14 Choquequirao Questions
- 15 12 Day Peru Itinerary Help
- 16 Shopping for sweaters - Quito or Otavalo?
- 17 A brief encounter with Ecuador
- 18 Cajamarca
- 19 Welltravbrit's Colombia - Statues, Tombs, and Carnaval!
- 20 9 days in Ecuador-need help planning
- 21 Patagonia - Equipment
- 22 Extra two days In Cusco or Lima..Early September
- 23 Chile or Argentina?
- 24 Extra two days in Cusco or Lake Titicaca
- 25 Iguassu Falls footwear?