I´m in Bolivia at the moment (Cochabamba to be exact), and I´m considering doing some voluntary work whilst I´m here. I was thinking about signing up with a company from Manchester, England (my home town) called Kaya Responsible Travel to make all the arrangements for me - but I´m having serious doubts.
I´ve been speaking to people in on-line forums who have been on volunteer projects with them, and they said their experience was a bit of a disaster.
Some things they mentioned :-
Nobody at the airport to meet them, and having to get their own way to their accommodation - and then, no one at home to let them in.
Projects changed at the last minute, or nothing definite arranged until they arrived.
No contact details for the Project Manager, who they saw only a couple of times during their stay - and actually getting more help from the Project Manager from a different company.
In the accommodation - a bicycle chain wrapped round the fridge to stop volunteers getting to the milk. (!!!)
Dry crackers for breakfast.
And this is the killer punch as far as I see it - children in their accommodation throwing the volunteers things over the balcony into the street !
So, my question - Does anyone have any experience of volunteering with Kaya Responsible Travel, or know anyone who has ?
PLEASE tell me it´s not as bad as I´ve been told !
KAYA Responsible Travel
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Trip Report - Very Long
- 2 Peru and Brazil: A South American Adventure
- 3 Wet suits in Galapagos
- 4 Rio, Ouro Preto and Inhotim trip report
- 5 Heart of the Inca
- 6 Connection in Lima, practical for 3 hours?
- 7 Amazon lodges or cruises
- 8 Senior Citizen's wonderful trip to Sacred Valley thanks to Great Tour Guide
- 9 Tupiza to Tilcara
- 10 Pisco Dreams; Nine Days in the Sacred Valley, Cusco and Lima
- 11 8 Days in Peru
- 12 Hostels in Oruro during Carnaval?
- 13 Travel with my boyfriend of 4 years to Brazil!
- 14 Anniversary of 9/11/01
- 15 2 weeks Ecuador, no car, flying to Guayaquil, most accessible places to go?
- 16 Transportation in Ecuador
- 17 NW of Argentina
- 18 adventure tour on the Amazon
- 19 Amazon Rainforest Indigenous Peoples
- 20 Ten days in Ecuador
- 21 amazon jungle trips
- 22 Trip report/blog - Machu Picchu and the Amazon Rainforest
- 23 Urgent Help Required Regarding International Transit Through Brazil.
- 24 Lost andean immigration card for Ecuador - problem on exit?
- 25 Dollars, sols or credit cards in Peru?