I´m in Bolivia at the moment (Cochabamba to be exact), and I´m considering doing some voluntary work whilst I´m here. I was thinking about signing up with a company from Manchester, England (my home town) called Kaya Responsible Travel to make all the arrangements for me - but I´m having serious doubts.
I´ve been speaking to people in on-line forums who have been on volunteer projects with them, and they said their experience was a bit of a disaster.
Some things they mentioned :-
Nobody at the airport to meet them, and having to get their own way to their accommodation - and then, no one at home to let them in.
Projects changed at the last minute, or nothing definite arranged until they arrived.
No contact details for the Project Manager, who they saw only a couple of times during their stay - and actually getting more help from the Project Manager from a different company.
In the accommodation - a bicycle chain wrapped round the fridge to stop volunteers getting to the milk. (!!!)
Dry crackers for breakfast.
And this is the killer punch as far as I see it - children in their accommodation throwing the volunteers things over the balcony into the street !
So, my question - Does anyone have any experience of volunteering with Kaya Responsible Travel, or know anyone who has ?
PLEASE tell me it´s not as bad as I´ve been told !
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Avenue of Volcanoes
- 2 Machu Picchu in January
- 3 Galapagos and Machu Pichu Itinerary Suggestions
- 4 Seek Suggestions on Trip to Machu Picchu
- 5 Dining in Medellin
- 6 Medellin's hidden Parque is lovely
- 7 Travel with Children to Galapagos
- 8 Christmastime in Santiago/Valparaiso - what to do, where to stay
- 9 Colca Canyon Earthquake
- 10 Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca), Peru
- 11 10 days in Santiago, Easter Islands, San pedro de atacama, doable?
- 12 santiago chile area
- 13 Beach walk in Rio - Copacabana or Ipanema?
- 14 Reflections on our South America trip
- 15 One Day in Santiago/Tour Guide
- 16 Driving from Santiago to Peurto Montt
- 17 Chile: first cut a travel plan
- 18 Argentina and Bolivia in February and March?
- 19 visit in the area of Campinas,Brazil and weather
- 20 Buying show tickets to Cafe Tortoni
- 21 Iguazu Falls-"Best" Way to Reach/See
- 22 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 23 One week in Cartagena?
- 24 Argentina 3 week Itinerary
- 25 One day in Buenos Aires and Tango Experience