I´m in Bolivia at the moment (Cochabamba to be exact), and I´m considering doing some voluntary work whilst I´m here. I was thinking about signing up with a company from Manchester, England (my home town) called Kaya Responsible Travel to make all the arrangements for me - but I´m having serious doubts.
I´ve been speaking to people in on-line forums who have been on volunteer projects with them, and they said their experience was a bit of a disaster.
Some things they mentioned :-
Nobody at the airport to meet them, and having to get their own way to their accommodation - and then, no one at home to let them in.
Projects changed at the last minute, or nothing definite arranged until they arrived.
No contact details for the Project Manager, who they saw only a couple of times during their stay - and actually getting more help from the Project Manager from a different company.
In the accommodation - a bicycle chain wrapped round the fridge to stop volunteers getting to the milk. (!!!)
Dry crackers for breakfast.
And this is the killer punch as far as I see it - children in their accommodation throwing the volunteers things over the balcony into the street !
So, my question - Does anyone have any experience of volunteering with Kaya Responsible Travel, or know anyone who has ?
PLEASE tell me it´s not as bad as I´ve been told !
KAYA Responsible Travel
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Hotel Suggestions Buenos Aires La Recoleta
- 2 Air Conditioning in Valparaiso?
- 3 Gifts to Bring to Peru
- 4 Cruise stop over in Lima
- 5 14 days in Brazil mid-december through New Year's Eve- help please
- 6 Santiago and Puerto Montt in a week
- 7 Pantanal on your own
- 8 Obtaining a visa while abroad
- 9 I need some help about bringing some stuffs to Brazil
- 10 Trip report/blog - Machu Picchu and the Amazon Rainforest
- 11 Ecuador - should we go?
- 12 Amazon River & surrounds: How much is practical in 3 weeks?
- 13 Santiago 2 days
- 14 itinerary suggestions for peru- 1 month trip?
- 15 Villa de Leyva, Colombia´s colonial gem
- 16 Pantanal or rurrenbaque?
- 17 Colombia´s Lake Guatavita and the search for El Dorado
- 18 Cachi-Cafayate 9-10 August. Looking to share car rental costs
- 19 3 Months South America: Argentina - Bolivia - Peru. Ideas?
- 20 Lodge in Pantanal
- 21 Visa Question: U.S. Citizen Flying from Brazil to Bolivia
- 22 2 weeks in Argentina - end of Nov. to early Dec.
- 23 Valparaiso Hotels - which one to stay in March??
- 24 Patagonia...You took our breath away
- 25 Buying a one way ticket into South America