I´m in Bolivia at the moment (Cochabamba to be exact), and I´m considering doing some voluntary work whilst I´m here. I was thinking about signing up with a company from Manchester, England (my home town) called Kaya Responsible Travel to make all the arrangements for me - but I´m having serious doubts.
I´ve been speaking to people in on-line forums who have been on volunteer projects with them, and they said their experience was a bit of a disaster.
Some things they mentioned :-
Nobody at the airport to meet them, and having to get their own way to their accommodation - and then, no one at home to let them in.
Projects changed at the last minute, or nothing definite arranged until they arrived.
No contact details for the Project Manager, who they saw only a couple of times during their stay - and actually getting more help from the Project Manager from a different company.
In the accommodation - a bicycle chain wrapped round the fridge to stop volunteers getting to the milk. (!!!)
Dry crackers for breakfast.
And this is the killer punch as far as I see it - children in their accommodation throwing the volunteers things over the balcony into the street !
So, my question - Does anyone have any experience of volunteering with Kaya Responsible Travel, or know anyone who has ?
PLEASE tell me it´s not as bad as I´ve been told !
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Sao Paulo
- 2 I had tried this pill for eight
- 3 Best Latin American countries!
- 4 Questions Regarding Buenos Aires
- 5 Patagonia Trip Reports / El Chaltén
- 6 (Santiago/Valpo done)---Mendoza help please!
- 7 Changing money upon arrival in Buenos Aires
- 8 Salud !
- 9 Peru in Late February?
- 10 christmas in buenos aires
- 11 Cartagena
- 12 Peru domestic airline layover time
- 13 anyone stayed at Alta Piazza in Buenos Aries?
- 14 OAT trip to Columbia?
- 15 Best Bus Company to Iguazu Falls
- 16 ferry: Buenos Aires to Colonia del Sacramento
- 17 Transportation from El Calafate to Puerto Natales
- 18 Pisco Dreams; Nine Days in the Sacred Valley, Cusco and Lima
- 19 Galapagos Island
- 20 Land Based Galapagos Was the Right Choice for Me.
- 21 Puno to Lima
- 22 Solmar Tours in Peru
- 23 opinions on itinerary flow
- 24 10-12 week Backpacking Trip in South America
- 25 If it's Tuesday, this must be...Nicaragua, the Peruvian Amazon, or Colombia