I´m in Bolivia at the moment (Cochabamba to be exact), and I´m considering doing some voluntary work whilst I´m here. I was thinking about signing up with a company from Manchester, England (my home town) called Kaya Responsible Travel to make all the arrangements for me - but I´m having serious doubts.
I´ve been speaking to people in on-line forums who have been on volunteer projects with them, and they said their experience was a bit of a disaster.
Some things they mentioned :-
Nobody at the airport to meet them, and having to get their own way to their accommodation - and then, no one at home to let them in.
Projects changed at the last minute, or nothing definite arranged until they arrived.
No contact details for the Project Manager, who they saw only a couple of times during their stay - and actually getting more help from the Project Manager from a different company.
In the accommodation - a bicycle chain wrapped round the fridge to stop volunteers getting to the milk. (!!!)
Dry crackers for breakfast.
And this is the killer punch as far as I see it - children in their accommodation throwing the volunteers things over the balcony into the street !
So, my question - Does anyone have any experience of volunteering with Kaya Responsible Travel, or know anyone who has ?
PLEASE tell me it´s not as bad as I´ve been told !
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Ten Days in Chile - TdP and Atacama
- 2 Travel Agency in Peru - Deborah Ferrari
- 3 Buying entrance tickets to Machu Picchu - online not working
- 4 Other forums for Buenos Aires
- 5 My Lima Layover
- 6 Has anyone taken the 3:30am Cruz del Sur bus out of Lima?
- 7 Senior Travelers to Galapagos
- 8 Yohan, Why Not Suriname
- 9 Booking Galapagos accommodation upon arrival in the high season
- 10 Drawing money at ATMs in Brazil
- 11 Best Galapagos cruise itinerary when combining with land trips
- 12 Train to Aguas Calientes
- 13 help with a trip to south america
- 14 Restaurant ideas in Lima for my birthday
- 15 Mistura - anyone been?
- 16 Absolute must in 3-4 days in Galapagos
- 17 Recommended tour companies for the Galapagos Islands
- 18 Jungle Lodge Brazil
- 19 Tickets to enter Machu Picchu
- 20 Ups and downs of our trip to Peru--from Machu Picchu to LIM airport floor
- 21 Other cities to visit in Brazil other than RIO
- 22 Trip to the Amazon!
- 23 3 nights in Arequipa: music, baby alpaca, restaurant suggestions?
- 24 Peruvian Independence Day
- 25 Baños & Alausí (Paillon & Nariz del Diablo)!