My husband and I just returned from our ~ 2 week trip to Peru. We traveled independently and arranged all hotels in advance by email/phone from the U.S. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Our general itinerary below:
* 2 nights in Ollanta
-- Ollanta ruins, town, fiesta
-- Horseback riding to Moray, Maras, Salineras
-- Pisac ruins and Sunday market
-- Hotel: Munay Tika
-- Favorite Eatery: Hearts Cafe
* 2 nights in Aguas Calientes
-- Vistadome train from Ollanta to Aguas Calientes
-- Backpacker train back to Ollanta
-- Inka Massage -- twice
-- Hotel: Wiracocha Inn
-- Favorite restaurant: Indio Feliz: Peruvian French. Ate both dinners here
* 1 full day in Machu Picchu
-- Hiked Huayna Picchu
-- Spent total 9 hours in MP
-- Overnight in AC before and after
* 3 nights in Cusco
-- Sacsayhuayman ruins
-- Ninos Hotel -- lovely!
-- Somes churches and Inka museum
-- Fiesta, fiesta, fiesta. Too much in fact that it interrupted our sightseeing. Many museums and churches were closed.
* Bus from Cusco to Puno
-- Inka Express bus
-- Sightseeing along the way
* 1 night in Puno
-- Hotel: Posada don Giorgio
* 1 1/2 days in Lake Titicaca
-- Tour boat from Puno to Uros and Taquille
-- Private boat from Taquille to Amantani Island
-- Overnight in Kantuna Lodge (not really a lodge, more like someone's house with a few more rooms, but there's electricity)
-- Private boat to Peninsula
-- Combis (!!) back to Puno. Packed with locals. No other means of transportation. It turned out fun afterall.
-- Advice: Need 3 full nights to do Lake Titicaca. And go with an established tour like All Ways Travel. Our customized tour was a lot more expensive and stressful (some glitches in the arrangement).
* 2 nights in Lima
-- Sheraton -- Club Level. Much needed after our adventure in Lake Titicaca area.
-- Churches and the Museum of Larcoma Herrera (expensive, but interesting but potteries).
Overall, we love the Sacred Valley the best -- amazing scenery -- mountains, valleys, farmlands, people, food.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 2 Route of the Seven Lakes drive
- 3 Colombia, best adventures for birthday.
- 4 Mom wants to go to cusco/macchu picchu in 5 days - impossible?
- 5 Bariloche and San Martin de los Andes
- 6 Bariloche rafting trips
- 7 Argentina &TDP-8th-18th April.
- 8 El Calafate and El Chalten
- 9 Cape Horn cruise in Feb. or March?
- 10 Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca), Peru
- 11 Trip Report - First time in Buenos Aires/Iguazu Falls/Rio de Janeiro
- 12 Safety warning?
- 13 Iguazu falls logistics
- 14 Packing for Chile in November
- 15 Lima stopover
- 16 Buenos Aires AND Iguazu Falls?
- 17 Amazon side trip
- 18 travel from el calafate direct to Torres delPaine
- 19 First Trip to Colombia Advice Needed!
- 20 Domestic Flights within Chile
- 21 Argentina ( Junin de Los Andes)in mid January
- 22 Wine tour & transfer from Valparaiso to Santiago Airport
- 23 Uruguay, then Buenos Aires in early March
- 24 Buenos Aires-ideas for side trips
- 25 Santiago - where to stay?