My husband and I just returned from our ~ 2 week trip to Peru. We traveled independently and arranged all hotels in advance by email/phone from the U.S. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Our general itinerary below:
* 2 nights in Ollanta
-- Ollanta ruins, town, fiesta
-- Horseback riding to Moray, Maras, Salineras
-- Pisac ruins and Sunday market
-- Hotel: Munay Tika
-- Favorite Eatery: Hearts Cafe
* 2 nights in Aguas Calientes
-- Vistadome train from Ollanta to Aguas Calientes
-- Backpacker train back to Ollanta
-- Inka Massage -- twice
-- Hotel: Wiracocha Inn
-- Favorite restaurant: Indio Feliz: Peruvian French. Ate both dinners here
* 1 full day in Machu Picchu
-- Hiked Huayna Picchu
-- Spent total 9 hours in MP
-- Overnight in AC before and after
* 3 nights in Cusco
-- Sacsayhuayman ruins
-- Ninos Hotel -- lovely!
-- Somes churches and Inka museum
-- Fiesta, fiesta, fiesta. Too much in fact that it interrupted our sightseeing. Many museums and churches were closed.
* Bus from Cusco to Puno
-- Inka Express bus
-- Sightseeing along the way
* 1 night in Puno
-- Hotel: Posada don Giorgio
* 1 1/2 days in Lake Titicaca
-- Tour boat from Puno to Uros and Taquille
-- Private boat from Taquille to Amantani Island
-- Overnight in Kantuna Lodge (not really a lodge, more like someone's house with a few more rooms, but there's electricity)
-- Private boat to Peninsula
-- Combis (!!) back to Puno. Packed with locals. No other means of transportation. It turned out fun afterall.
-- Advice: Need 3 full nights to do Lake Titicaca. And go with an established tour like All Ways Travel. Our customized tour was a lot more expensive and stressful (some glitches in the arrangement).
* 2 nights in Lima
-- Sheraton -- Club Level. Much needed after our adventure in Lake Titicaca area.
-- Churches and the Museum of Larcoma Herrera (expensive, but interesting but potteries).
Overall, we love the Sacred Valley the best -- amazing scenery -- mountains, valleys, farmlands, people, food.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Our ATMs to give 500 and 100 peso bills
- 2 Steak house rec in Buenos Aires near Recoleta
- 3 Taking the Bus Santiago Airport to Valpo
- 4 Shopping for sweaters - Quito or Otavalo?
- 5 MP and Torres del Paine on same trip?
- 6 Advice? First SA experience in Ecuador has so far been disappointing
- 7 Sixty days in Colombia
- 8 A brief encounter with Ecuador
- 9 Cajamarca
- 10 Torres del Paine, 3 hotel oprions
- 11 Welltravbrit's Colombia - Statues, Tombs, and Carnaval!
- 12 9 days in Ecuador-need help planning
- 13 Patagonia - Equipment
- 14 Extra two days In Cusco or Lima..Early September
- 15 Chile or Argentina?
- 16 Extra two days in Cusco or Lake Titicaca
- 17 Iguassu Falls footwear?
- 18 Nazca Lines from Pisco or Ica Airport?
- 19 Chile cell phone and sim card advice needed
- 20 What to do with two free nites on arrival in Argentina
- 21 Flights to Northern Peru
- 22 Santiago neighborhood
- 23 Hotels in San Pedro de Atacama?
- 24 Drive or Get Driven? Santiago > Valparaiso
- 25 Backroads or Nat Geo hiking Patagonia