My husband and I just returned from our ~ 2 week trip to Peru. We traveled independently and arranged all hotels in advance by email/phone from the U.S. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Our general itinerary below:
* 2 nights in Ollanta
-- Ollanta ruins, town, fiesta
-- Horseback riding to Moray, Maras, Salineras
-- Pisac ruins and Sunday market
-- Hotel: Munay Tika
-- Favorite Eatery: Hearts Cafe
* 2 nights in Aguas Calientes
-- Vistadome train from Ollanta to Aguas Calientes
-- Backpacker train back to Ollanta
-- Inka Massage -- twice
-- Hotel: Wiracocha Inn
-- Favorite restaurant: Indio Feliz: Peruvian French. Ate both dinners here
* 1 full day in Machu Picchu
-- Hiked Huayna Picchu
-- Spent total 9 hours in MP
-- Overnight in AC before and after
* 3 nights in Cusco
-- Sacsayhuayman ruins
-- Ninos Hotel -- lovely!
-- Somes churches and Inka museum
-- Fiesta, fiesta, fiesta. Too much in fact that it interrupted our sightseeing. Many museums and churches were closed.
* Bus from Cusco to Puno
-- Inka Express bus
-- Sightseeing along the way
* 1 night in Puno
-- Hotel: Posada don Giorgio
* 1 1/2 days in Lake Titicaca
-- Tour boat from Puno to Uros and Taquille
-- Private boat from Taquille to Amantani Island
-- Overnight in Kantuna Lodge (not really a lodge, more like someone's house with a few more rooms, but there's electricity)
-- Private boat to Peninsula
-- Combis (!!) back to Puno. Packed with locals. No other means of transportation. It turned out fun afterall.
-- Advice: Need 3 full nights to do Lake Titicaca. And go with an established tour like All Ways Travel. Our customized tour was a lot more expensive and stressful (some glitches in the arrangement).
* 2 nights in Lima
-- Sheraton -- Club Level. Much needed after our adventure in Lake Titicaca area.
-- Churches and the Museum of Larcoma Herrera (expensive, but interesting but potteries).
Overall, we love the Sacred Valley the best -- amazing scenery -- mountains, valleys, farmlands, people, food.
Just Back from Peru -- Questions Welcome
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 A few specific questions about activities in Argentina with kids
- 2 Patagonia Trip Report: Kayaking, Riding and Hiking in the South
- 3 Lima to Foz
- 4 In Celebration of Retiring: A Luxe Trip to Peru
- 5 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 6 Car rental in Patagonia
- 7 Itinerary Feedback
- 8 Chile Private Tour
- 9 Language study in Brazil
- 10 Columbia Questions
- 11 Your tips on Galapagos 2015 for Single Traveler
- 12 Chile reciprocity fee - Canadian citizens
- 13 Argentina Holiday Help
- 14 itinerary Help for Peru with Kids
- 15 driving up the coast from rio de janeiro to salvador
- 16 Chile - IVA Tax
- 17 Christmas present to Cusco?
- 18 Trip Report
- 19 arpilleras - where to buy ?
- 20 Astrid y Gaston, Lima, Peru: A mini trip report for foodies only
- 21 Cusco, Pto Maldonado, Titicaca and Trujillo!
- 22 Chile, Brazil and New York Trip report - live
- 23 flights from Buenos Aires to Iguazu Falls
- 24 3 Days Extra in NW Argentina
- 25 Need help. Anyone?Amazon (Brazil)