My husband and I just returned from our ~ 2 week trip to Peru. We traveled independently and arranged all hotels in advance by email/phone from the U.S. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Our general itinerary below:
* 2 nights in Ollanta
-- Ollanta ruins, town, fiesta
-- Horseback riding to Moray, Maras, Salineras
-- Pisac ruins and Sunday market
-- Hotel: Munay Tika
-- Favorite Eatery: Hearts Cafe
* 2 nights in Aguas Calientes
-- Vistadome train from Ollanta to Aguas Calientes
-- Backpacker train back to Ollanta
-- Inka Massage -- twice
-- Hotel: Wiracocha Inn
-- Favorite restaurant: Indio Feliz: Peruvian French. Ate both dinners here
* 1 full day in Machu Picchu
-- Hiked Huayna Picchu
-- Spent total 9 hours in MP
-- Overnight in AC before and after
* 3 nights in Cusco
-- Sacsayhuayman ruins
-- Ninos Hotel -- lovely!
-- Somes churches and Inka museum
-- Fiesta, fiesta, fiesta. Too much in fact that it interrupted our sightseeing. Many museums and churches were closed.
* Bus from Cusco to Puno
-- Inka Express bus
-- Sightseeing along the way
* 1 night in Puno
-- Hotel: Posada don Giorgio
* 1 1/2 days in Lake Titicaca
-- Tour boat from Puno to Uros and Taquille
-- Private boat from Taquille to Amantani Island
-- Overnight in Kantuna Lodge (not really a lodge, more like someone's house with a few more rooms, but there's electricity)
-- Private boat to Peninsula
-- Combis (!!) back to Puno. Packed with locals. No other means of transportation. It turned out fun afterall.
-- Advice: Need 3 full nights to do Lake Titicaca. And go with an established tour like All Ways Travel. Our customized tour was a lot more expensive and stressful (some glitches in the arrangement).
* 2 nights in Lima
-- Sheraton -- Club Level. Much needed after our adventure in Lake Titicaca area.
-- Churches and the Museum of Larcoma Herrera (expensive, but interesting but potteries).
Overall, we love the Sacred Valley the best -- amazing scenery -- mountains, valleys, farmlands, people, food.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Inline tickets for Machu Picchu
- 2 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 3 Visiting Iguazu Falls From Rio
- 4 Iguazu Falls-"Best" Way to Reach/See
- 5 Travel with Children to Galapagos
- 6 Help us plan our dream SA trip!
- 7 Seek Suggestions on Trip to Machu Picchu
- 8 Avenue of Volcanoes
- 9 Waterfalls near Puyo, Tena, and Baeza in Ecuador
- 10 Best Trek in Peru? (Huayhuash Circuit vs Inca Trail)
- 11 Bariloche car rental
- 12 Trip Report: Studying Spanish in Quito and Cuenca 2007
- 13 Galapagos and Machu Pichu Itinerary Suggestions
- 14 Machu Picchu in January
- 15 Dining in Medellin
- 16 Medellin's hidden Parque is lovely
- 17 Christmastime in Santiago/Valparaiso - what to do, where to stay
- 18 Colca Canyon Earthquake
- 19 Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca), Peru
- 20 10 days in Santiago, Easter Islands, San pedro de atacama, doable?
- 21 santiago chile area
- 22 Beach walk in Rio - Copacabana or Ipanema?
- 23 Reflections on our South America trip
- 24 One Day in Santiago/Tour Guide
- 25 Driving from Santiago to Peurto Montt