My husband and I just returned from our ~ 2 week trip to Peru. We traveled independently and arranged all hotels in advance by email/phone from the U.S. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Our general itinerary below:
* 2 nights in Ollanta
-- Ollanta ruins, town, fiesta
-- Horseback riding to Moray, Maras, Salineras
-- Pisac ruins and Sunday market
-- Hotel: Munay Tika
-- Favorite Eatery: Hearts Cafe
* 2 nights in Aguas Calientes
-- Vistadome train from Ollanta to Aguas Calientes
-- Backpacker train back to Ollanta
-- Inka Massage -- twice
-- Hotel: Wiracocha Inn
-- Favorite restaurant: Indio Feliz: Peruvian French. Ate both dinners here
* 1 full day in Machu Picchu
-- Hiked Huayna Picchu
-- Spent total 9 hours in MP
-- Overnight in AC before and after
* 3 nights in Cusco
-- Sacsayhuayman ruins
-- Ninos Hotel -- lovely!
-- Somes churches and Inka museum
-- Fiesta, fiesta, fiesta. Too much in fact that it interrupted our sightseeing. Many museums and churches were closed.
* Bus from Cusco to Puno
-- Inka Express bus
-- Sightseeing along the way
* 1 night in Puno
-- Hotel: Posada don Giorgio
* 1 1/2 days in Lake Titicaca
-- Tour boat from Puno to Uros and Taquille
-- Private boat from Taquille to Amantani Island
-- Overnight in Kantuna Lodge (not really a lodge, more like someone's house with a few more rooms, but there's electricity)
-- Private boat to Peninsula
-- Combis (!!) back to Puno. Packed with locals. No other means of transportation. It turned out fun afterall.
-- Advice: Need 3 full nights to do Lake Titicaca. And go with an established tour like All Ways Travel. Our customized tour was a lot more expensive and stressful (some glitches in the arrangement).
* 2 nights in Lima
-- Sheraton -- Club Level. Much needed after our adventure in Lake Titicaca area.
-- Churches and the Museum of Larcoma Herrera (expensive, but interesting but potteries).
Overall, we love the Sacred Valley the best -- amazing scenery -- mountains, valleys, farmlands, people, food.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 BA & Patagonia - 9 days in November
- 2 First Time in Argentina and Brazil - Buenos Aires and Rio questions
- 3 Visiting Buenos Aires
- 4 Visiting Medellin
- 5 Galapagos: Land based visit + short cruise - opinions appreciated!
- 6 Walking sticks for Machu Picchu?
- 7 Video Report: Argentina, Patagonia Part 1
- 8 brazil beach vacation.... or will get mugged?
- 9 Iguazu logistics and rental car?
- 10 CasaCor Peru October 2015
- 11 Chile in February and March
- 12 5/6 Hour Layover in Santiago - Advice Please
- 13 Rio and Iguacu
- 14 3 weeks to travel
- 15 Galapagos Island
- 16 Land Based Galapagos Was the Right Choice for Me.
- 17 anyone stayed at Alta Piazza in Buenos Aries?
- 18 4 DAY, 3 NIGHT TREK TO MACHU PICCHU
- 19 Astrid y Gaston, Lima, Peru: A mini trip report for foodies only
- 20 Patagonia Trip Reports / El Chaltén
- 21 October - March 2016 in South or Central America
- 22 Does anyone have experience with Discovery-tours by gate 1,
- 23 Peru Best Tours
- 24 Peru- Recommendation for tour company to customize 14 day trip
- 25 Brasilia Airport - Need Reassurance!