My husband and I just returned from our ~ 2 week trip to Peru. We traveled independently and arranged all hotels in advance by email/phone from the U.S. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Our general itinerary below:
* 2 nights in Ollanta
-- Ollanta ruins, town, fiesta
-- Horseback riding to Moray, Maras, Salineras
-- Pisac ruins and Sunday market
-- Hotel: Munay Tika
-- Favorite Eatery: Hearts Cafe
* 2 nights in Aguas Calientes
-- Vistadome train from Ollanta to Aguas Calientes
-- Backpacker train back to Ollanta
-- Inka Massage -- twice
-- Hotel: Wiracocha Inn
-- Favorite restaurant: Indio Feliz: Peruvian French. Ate both dinners here
* 1 full day in Machu Picchu
-- Hiked Huayna Picchu
-- Spent total 9 hours in MP
-- Overnight in AC before and after
* 3 nights in Cusco
-- Sacsayhuayman ruins
-- Ninos Hotel -- lovely!
-- Somes churches and Inka museum
-- Fiesta, fiesta, fiesta. Too much in fact that it interrupted our sightseeing. Many museums and churches were closed.
* Bus from Cusco to Puno
-- Inka Express bus
-- Sightseeing along the way
* 1 night in Puno
-- Hotel: Posada don Giorgio
* 1 1/2 days in Lake Titicaca
-- Tour boat from Puno to Uros and Taquille
-- Private boat from Taquille to Amantani Island
-- Overnight in Kantuna Lodge (not really a lodge, more like someone's house with a few more rooms, but there's electricity)
-- Private boat to Peninsula
-- Combis (!!) back to Puno. Packed with locals. No other means of transportation. It turned out fun afterall.
-- Advice: Need 3 full nights to do Lake Titicaca. And go with an established tour like All Ways Travel. Our customized tour was a lot more expensive and stressful (some glitches in the arrangement).
* 2 nights in Lima
-- Sheraton -- Club Level. Much needed after our adventure in Lake Titicaca area.
-- Churches and the Museum of Larcoma Herrera (expensive, but interesting but potteries).
Overall, we love the Sacred Valley the best -- amazing scenery -- mountains, valleys, farmlands, people, food.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 3 days precruise-stay in Santiago all 3 or 2 SCL and 1 Valparaiso?
- 2 What's all the hype about Buenos Aires?
- 3 Is the Perito Moreno Glacier worth paying $200+ to walk on?
- 4 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 5 Manaus
- 6 Pantanal Lodges
- 7 where to stay Buenos Aires
- 8 Renting a car in Patagonia
- 9 Avianca business class
- 10 Suenos Aires, Argentina vs Lisbon, Portugal
- 11 No exit stamp from Brazil, no entry stamp in Paraguay, help!!
- 12 Best BA neighborhood to stay in?
- 13 Argentina in 15 days with a toddler: Trip report!
- 14 Can a Europhile Find Happiness in Argentina and Chile?
- 15 Which Amazon area/lodge in Peru?
- 16 Trip Report Chile: A Country of Diverse and Amazing Beauty...
- 17 How many days in Medellin area?
- 18 Looking for photographers in Bogota, Medellin and Cartagena
- 19 60-yr old female going solo to Rio - itinerary
- 20 Argentinian Honeymoon
- 21 Peru Trip for the Family
- 22 Pisco sours
- 23 Huayhuash Trecking 8-16th of july
- 24 Medellin, Colombia - Great Driver
- 25 Looking For Intensive Spanish Immersion Course