My husband and I just returned from our ~ 2 week trip to Peru. We traveled independently and arranged all hotels in advance by email/phone from the U.S. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Our general itinerary below:
* 2 nights in Ollanta
-- Ollanta ruins, town, fiesta
-- Horseback riding to Moray, Maras, Salineras
-- Pisac ruins and Sunday market
-- Hotel: Munay Tika
-- Favorite Eatery: Hearts Cafe
* 2 nights in Aguas Calientes
-- Vistadome train from Ollanta to Aguas Calientes
-- Backpacker train back to Ollanta
-- Inka Massage -- twice
-- Hotel: Wiracocha Inn
-- Favorite restaurant: Indio Feliz: Peruvian French. Ate both dinners here
* 1 full day in Machu Picchu
-- Hiked Huayna Picchu
-- Spent total 9 hours in MP
-- Overnight in AC before and after
* 3 nights in Cusco
-- Sacsayhuayman ruins
-- Ninos Hotel -- lovely!
-- Somes churches and Inka museum
-- Fiesta, fiesta, fiesta. Too much in fact that it interrupted our sightseeing. Many museums and churches were closed.
* Bus from Cusco to Puno
-- Inka Express bus
-- Sightseeing along the way
* 1 night in Puno
-- Hotel: Posada don Giorgio
* 1 1/2 days in Lake Titicaca
-- Tour boat from Puno to Uros and Taquille
-- Private boat from Taquille to Amantani Island
-- Overnight in Kantuna Lodge (not really a lodge, more like someone's house with a few more rooms, but there's electricity)
-- Private boat to Peninsula
-- Combis (!!) back to Puno. Packed with locals. No other means of transportation. It turned out fun afterall.
-- Advice: Need 3 full nights to do Lake Titicaca. And go with an established tour like All Ways Travel. Our customized tour was a lot more expensive and stressful (some glitches in the arrangement).
* 2 nights in Lima
-- Sheraton -- Club Level. Much needed after our adventure in Lake Titicaca area.
-- Churches and the Museum of Larcoma Herrera (expensive, but interesting but potteries).
Overall, we love the Sacred Valley the best -- amazing scenery -- mountains, valleys, farmlands, people, food.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Southern Bolivia from Northwest Argentina?
- 2 Kudos - Brazilian Visa service = FAST
- 3 Making the most of Montevideo
- 4 Need help! Exploring Lakes District, Northern Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego
- 5 Ecuador - Tap Water Question
- 6 9 days in Ecuador-need help planning
- 7 Ecuador weather forecast - is it accurate?
- 8 Tour guide/ agency
- 9 Santiago - where to stay?
- 10 Peru Trip Report-Lima, Paracas, Cusco
- 11 Peru transport questioins
- 12 Places to eat like a local
- 13 No exit stamp for Argentina - problem?
- 14 Chile Trekking options
- 15 Customs/Immigration Buenos Aires
- 16 Trip Report - 2 Weeks in Peru, July 2016
- 17 visiting Patagonia on cruise ship vs land trip
- 18 Posting Again...any info on Macae, Brazil..100+ miles north of Rio?
- 19 Packing for 2.5 months in Buenos Aires
- 20 Oasis Collection - Apartments in Buenos Aires
- 21 Insect repellent recommendations
- 22 Is Nat Geo Family Odyssey to Galapagos truly kid-friendly
- 23 Galapagos
- 24 Sunday Brunch at Alvear Palace with Avrooster
- 25 Taxi Ezeiza - BEWARE!