My husband and I just returned from our ~ 2 week trip to Peru. We traveled independently and arranged all hotels in advance by email/phone from the U.S. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Our general itinerary below:
* 2 nights in Ollanta
-- Ollanta ruins, town, fiesta
-- Horseback riding to Moray, Maras, Salineras
-- Pisac ruins and Sunday market
-- Hotel: Munay Tika
-- Favorite Eatery: Hearts Cafe
* 2 nights in Aguas Calientes
-- Vistadome train from Ollanta to Aguas Calientes
-- Backpacker train back to Ollanta
-- Inka Massage -- twice
-- Hotel: Wiracocha Inn
-- Favorite restaurant: Indio Feliz: Peruvian French. Ate both dinners here
* 1 full day in Machu Picchu
-- Hiked Huayna Picchu
-- Spent total 9 hours in MP
-- Overnight in AC before and after
* 3 nights in Cusco
-- Sacsayhuayman ruins
-- Ninos Hotel -- lovely!
-- Somes churches and Inka museum
-- Fiesta, fiesta, fiesta. Too much in fact that it interrupted our sightseeing. Many museums and churches were closed.
* Bus from Cusco to Puno
-- Inka Express bus
-- Sightseeing along the way
* 1 night in Puno
-- Hotel: Posada don Giorgio
* 1 1/2 days in Lake Titicaca
-- Tour boat from Puno to Uros and Taquille
-- Private boat from Taquille to Amantani Island
-- Overnight in Kantuna Lodge (not really a lodge, more like someone's house with a few more rooms, but there's electricity)
-- Private boat to Peninsula
-- Combis (!!) back to Puno. Packed with locals. No other means of transportation. It turned out fun afterall.
-- Advice: Need 3 full nights to do Lake Titicaca. And go with an established tour like All Ways Travel. Our customized tour was a lot more expensive and stressful (some glitches in the arrangement).
* 2 nights in Lima
-- Sheraton -- Club Level. Much needed after our adventure in Lake Titicaca area.
-- Churches and the Museum of Larcoma Herrera (expensive, but interesting but potteries).
Overall, we love the Sacred Valley the best -- amazing scenery -- mountains, valleys, farmlands, people, food.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Travel Agent Recommendation for Patagonia
- 2 Safety in Rio?
- 3 Trip Report - Peru - Long
- 4 Tours to Machu Picchu
- 5 New to traveling, and I need help.
- 6 Sacred Valley/Inca Trail April 2015 Trip Report
- 7 Argentina Trip report
- 8 Pantanal tour prices
- 9 My Lima Layover
- 10 Strike Peru May 27-28 - urgent decision
- 11 Not your usual Lima Layover Trip Report
- 12 Areas to stay in Rio de Janiero and Buenos Aires
- 13 Absolute must in 3-4 days in Galapagos
- 14 Planning Trip to Patagonia and Wine Country
- 15 Do you need passes to see machu picch?
- 16 Travel in Brazil or visit Machu Picchu?
- 17 It's Restaurant Week in Lima til 24 May
- 18 Hostels in Rio de Janeiro
- 19 Recommended tour companies for the Galapagos Islands
- 20 Itinerary Advice..+/- days advice
- 21 recommended hostels in lima and cuzco
- 22 tours and tips
- 23 Transportation from Santiago airport to Valparaiso or Vina del Mar
- 24 Best plan for 6 days between Cuenca and Quito?
- 25 Buenos Aires to Rio de Janeiro