My husband and I just returned from our ~ 2 week trip to Peru. We traveled independently and arranged all hotels in advance by email/phone from the U.S. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Our general itinerary below:
* 2 nights in Ollanta
-- Ollanta ruins, town, fiesta
-- Horseback riding to Moray, Maras, Salineras
-- Pisac ruins and Sunday market
-- Hotel: Munay Tika
-- Favorite Eatery: Hearts Cafe
* 2 nights in Aguas Calientes
-- Vistadome train from Ollanta to Aguas Calientes
-- Backpacker train back to Ollanta
-- Inka Massage -- twice
-- Hotel: Wiracocha Inn
-- Favorite restaurant: Indio Feliz: Peruvian French. Ate both dinners here
* 1 full day in Machu Picchu
-- Hiked Huayna Picchu
-- Spent total 9 hours in MP
-- Overnight in AC before and after
* 3 nights in Cusco
-- Sacsayhuayman ruins
-- Ninos Hotel -- lovely!
-- Somes churches and Inka museum
-- Fiesta, fiesta, fiesta. Too much in fact that it interrupted our sightseeing. Many museums and churches were closed.
* Bus from Cusco to Puno
-- Inka Express bus
-- Sightseeing along the way
* 1 night in Puno
-- Hotel: Posada don Giorgio
* 1 1/2 days in Lake Titicaca
-- Tour boat from Puno to Uros and Taquille
-- Private boat from Taquille to Amantani Island
-- Overnight in Kantuna Lodge (not really a lodge, more like someone's house with a few more rooms, but there's electricity)
-- Private boat to Peninsula
-- Combis (!!) back to Puno. Packed with locals. No other means of transportation. It turned out fun afterall.
-- Advice: Need 3 full nights to do Lake Titicaca. And go with an established tour like All Ways Travel. Our customized tour was a lot more expensive and stressful (some glitches in the arrangement).
* 2 nights in Lima
-- Sheraton -- Club Level. Much needed after our adventure in Lake Titicaca area.
-- Churches and the Museum of Larcoma Herrera (expensive, but interesting but potteries).
Overall, we love the Sacred Valley the best -- amazing scenery -- mountains, valleys, farmlands, people, food.
Just Back from Peru -- Questions Welcome
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Peru and Brazil: A South American Adventure
- 2 Peru versus Bolivia
- 3 Heart of the Inca
- 4 16 days in Brazil - ideas please
- 5 La Paz to Santiago - route choices
- 6 Pisco Dreams; Nine Days in the Sacred Valley, Cusco and Lima
- 7 Peru & Altitude Questions
- 8 2 nights in Torres Del Paine - Which route and refugio?
- 9 Argentinians in Punta Del Este!!
- 10 Still Planning But Getting Close!
- 11 GALAPAGOS ISLANDS
- 12 WWYD-time in Lima
- 13 Ecuador 5 to 6 weeks
- 14 Argentina Holiday Help
- 15 General Strike in BsAs on Thursday
- 16 argentina & brazil
- 17 Patagonia...You took our breath away
- 18 Visa Question: U.S. Citizen Flying from Brazil to Bolivia
- 19 General Strike in BsAs on Thursday
- 20 Peru jungle – looking for wildlife/comfort balance
- 21 Valpariso or Vina del Mar for sr citizens - two nights
- 22 Where to stay in Rio before a Cruise?
- 23 First Time to Peru: Need Help with Child-Friendly Itinerary
- 24 2-week Peru itinerary - any advice or recommended changes?
- 25 Packing for Peru in August - Recommendations?