My husband and I just returned from our ~ 2 week trip to Peru. We traveled independently and arranged all hotels in advance by email/phone from the U.S. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Our general itinerary below:
* 2 nights in Ollanta
-- Ollanta ruins, town, fiesta
-- Horseback riding to Moray, Maras, Salineras
-- Pisac ruins and Sunday market
-- Hotel: Munay Tika
-- Favorite Eatery: Hearts Cafe
* 2 nights in Aguas Calientes
-- Vistadome train from Ollanta to Aguas Calientes
-- Backpacker train back to Ollanta
-- Inka Massage -- twice
-- Hotel: Wiracocha Inn
-- Favorite restaurant: Indio Feliz: Peruvian French. Ate both dinners here
* 1 full day in Machu Picchu
-- Hiked Huayna Picchu
-- Spent total 9 hours in MP
-- Overnight in AC before and after
* 3 nights in Cusco
-- Sacsayhuayman ruins
-- Ninos Hotel -- lovely!
-- Somes churches and Inka museum
-- Fiesta, fiesta, fiesta. Too much in fact that it interrupted our sightseeing. Many museums and churches were closed.
* Bus from Cusco to Puno
-- Inka Express bus
-- Sightseeing along the way
* 1 night in Puno
-- Hotel: Posada don Giorgio
* 1 1/2 days in Lake Titicaca
-- Tour boat from Puno to Uros and Taquille
-- Private boat from Taquille to Amantani Island
-- Overnight in Kantuna Lodge (not really a lodge, more like someone's house with a few more rooms, but there's electricity)
-- Private boat to Peninsula
-- Combis (!!) back to Puno. Packed with locals. No other means of transportation. It turned out fun afterall.
-- Advice: Need 3 full nights to do Lake Titicaca. And go with an established tour like All Ways Travel. Our customized tour was a lot more expensive and stressful (some glitches in the arrangement).
* 2 nights in Lima
-- Sheraton -- Club Level. Much needed after our adventure in Lake Titicaca area.
-- Churches and the Museum of Larcoma Herrera (expensive, but interesting but potteries).
Overall, we love the Sacred Valley the best -- amazing scenery -- mountains, valleys, farmlands, people, food.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Brief Notes on a February in Ecuador
- 2 First Time In South America Itinerary
- 3 Itinerary - Peru, Bolivia, Argentina Query
- 4 The Travel Cartel Go to Colombia
- 5 Trip Report Ecuador
- 6 Chile, Ecuadoror Columbia
- 7 Santiago > Valparaiso: worth driving?
- 8 zika to cancel or not to cancel
- 9 Trip Report..Bolivia (Titikaka, La Paz, Uyuni, Potosi, Sucre) Nov. 2011
- 10 Day trips from Montevideo
- 11 H Stern Jewelers, Brazil
- 12 some practical tips for Buenos Aires and day trips
- 13 Driving tips and suggestions for Torres del Paine
- 14 Help with 3 Week Itinerary
- 15 2 Weeks in South America- Need advice
- 16 Itinerary help - Argentina and....?
- 17 Ecuador, Places to shop
- 18 Only one day in Quito recommendations.
- 19 3 Days/2 Night Treks to Machu Picchu
- 20 Sacred Valley/Inca Trail April 2015 Trip Report
- 21 Booking the Grey Glacier Boat Tour
- 22 Volunteering in South America, maybe Peru?
- 23 Atacama and ????
- 24 Departure Tax leaving Colombia
- 25 Travel to Peru in 2 weeks