My husband and I just returned from our ~ 2 week trip to Peru. We traveled independently and arranged all hotels in advance by email/phone from the U.S. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Our general itinerary below:
* 2 nights in Ollanta
-- Ollanta ruins, town, fiesta
-- Horseback riding to Moray, Maras, Salineras
-- Pisac ruins and Sunday market
-- Hotel: Munay Tika
-- Favorite Eatery: Hearts Cafe
* 2 nights in Aguas Calientes
-- Vistadome train from Ollanta to Aguas Calientes
-- Backpacker train back to Ollanta
-- Inka Massage -- twice
-- Hotel: Wiracocha Inn
-- Favorite restaurant: Indio Feliz: Peruvian French. Ate both dinners here
* 1 full day in Machu Picchu
-- Hiked Huayna Picchu
-- Spent total 9 hours in MP
-- Overnight in AC before and after
* 3 nights in Cusco
-- Sacsayhuayman ruins
-- Ninos Hotel -- lovely!
-- Somes churches and Inka museum
-- Fiesta, fiesta, fiesta. Too much in fact that it interrupted our sightseeing. Many museums and churches were closed.
* Bus from Cusco to Puno
-- Inka Express bus
-- Sightseeing along the way
* 1 night in Puno
-- Hotel: Posada don Giorgio
* 1 1/2 days in Lake Titicaca
-- Tour boat from Puno to Uros and Taquille
-- Private boat from Taquille to Amantani Island
-- Overnight in Kantuna Lodge (not really a lodge, more like someone's house with a few more rooms, but there's electricity)
-- Private boat to Peninsula
-- Combis (!!) back to Puno. Packed with locals. No other means of transportation. It turned out fun afterall.
-- Advice: Need 3 full nights to do Lake Titicaca. And go with an established tour like All Ways Travel. Our customized tour was a lot more expensive and stressful (some glitches in the arrangement).
* 2 nights in Lima
-- Sheraton -- Club Level. Much needed after our adventure in Lake Titicaca area.
-- Churches and the Museum of Larcoma Herrera (expensive, but interesting but potteries).
Overall, we love the Sacred Valley the best -- amazing scenery -- mountains, valleys, farmlands, people, food.
Just Back from Peru -- Questions Welcome
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 NW of Argentina
- 2 2 weeks Ecuador, no car, flying to Guayaquil, most accessible places to go?
- 3 Pisco Dreams; Nine Days in the Sacred Valley, Cusco and Lima
- 4 adventure tour on the Amazon
- 5 Amazon Rainforest Indigenous Peoples
- 6 Ten days in Ecuador
- 7 amazon jungle trips
- 8 Amazon lodges or cruises
- 9 Peru and Brazil: A South American Adventure
- 10 Trip report/blog - Machu Picchu and the Amazon Rainforest
- 11 Urgent Help Required Regarding International Transit Through Brazil.
- 12 Lost andean immigration card for Ecuador - problem on exit?
- 13 Dollars, sols or credit cards in Peru?
- 14 Peru versus Bolivia
- 15 Need advise for Argentina and surrounding areas in May??
- 16 Enchanting-South America-tour companies
- 17 altitude sickness (Bolivia vs. Peru)
- 18 Need help in where to stay in Mendoza in December
- 19 Using Internet for Finances in South America
- 20 Flight to El Calafate for one day
- 21 Peru in December
- 22 Anniversary of 9/11/01
- 23 Travel with my boyfriend of 4 years to Brazil!
- 24 NYT Article on Cartagena
- 25 Can the Bolivia experts please check this itinerary?