My husband and I just returned from our ~ 2 week trip to Peru. We traveled independently and arranged all hotels in advance by email/phone from the U.S. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Our general itinerary below:
* 2 nights in Ollanta
-- Ollanta ruins, town, fiesta
-- Horseback riding to Moray, Maras, Salineras
-- Pisac ruins and Sunday market
-- Hotel: Munay Tika
-- Favorite Eatery: Hearts Cafe
* 2 nights in Aguas Calientes
-- Vistadome train from Ollanta to Aguas Calientes
-- Backpacker train back to Ollanta
-- Inka Massage -- twice
-- Hotel: Wiracocha Inn
-- Favorite restaurant: Indio Feliz: Peruvian French. Ate both dinners here
* 1 full day in Machu Picchu
-- Hiked Huayna Picchu
-- Spent total 9 hours in MP
-- Overnight in AC before and after
* 3 nights in Cusco
-- Sacsayhuayman ruins
-- Ninos Hotel -- lovely!
-- Somes churches and Inka museum
-- Fiesta, fiesta, fiesta. Too much in fact that it interrupted our sightseeing. Many museums and churches were closed.
* Bus from Cusco to Puno
-- Inka Express bus
-- Sightseeing along the way
* 1 night in Puno
-- Hotel: Posada don Giorgio
* 1 1/2 days in Lake Titicaca
-- Tour boat from Puno to Uros and Taquille
-- Private boat from Taquille to Amantani Island
-- Overnight in Kantuna Lodge (not really a lodge, more like someone's house with a few more rooms, but there's electricity)
-- Private boat to Peninsula
-- Combis (!!) back to Puno. Packed with locals. No other means of transportation. It turned out fun afterall.
-- Advice: Need 3 full nights to do Lake Titicaca. And go with an established tour like All Ways Travel. Our customized tour was a lot more expensive and stressful (some glitches in the arrangement).
* 2 nights in Lima
-- Sheraton -- Club Level. Much needed after our adventure in Lake Titicaca area.
-- Churches and the Museum of Larcoma Herrera (expensive, but interesting but potteries).
Overall, we love the Sacred Valley the best -- amazing scenery -- mountains, valleys, farmlands, people, food.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 South American city for 2 female travelers to visit mid June?
- 2 Cruz del Sur bus - Lima to Paracas
- 3 One week in Cartagena?
- 4 Can USA citizens avoid hotel taxes?
- 5 Lunahuana
- 6 Lima-Cusco-Ollantaytambo-Machu Picchu first timers
- 7 Hiking Tour Companies - Machu Picchu & Chile
- 8 Argentina in 15 days with a toddler: Trip report!
- 9 Cordoba-scenic small towns nearby
- 10 Family Adventure in Ecuador
- 11 Exploring the cities of Ecuador's Andes
- 12 Choquequirao Questions
- 13 Trip Report to BsAs and Patagonia (With Pics and Vids)
- 14 MARCHU PICCHU
- 15 Santiago > Valparaiso: worth driving?
- 16 What type of currency for Bolivia
- 17 Cordoba horseback riding day trip
- 18 Thoughts on our itinerary?
- 19 Agency to purchase tickets to US
- 20 Chile/Patagonia/Torres del Paine/Valparaiso
- 21 Ecuador Pure Life (tour operator) - very negative experience
- 22 Need Dinner recommendations for 12 Peru trip
- 23 Another Brazil Visa Application Form question!
- 24 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 25 Iquitos Peru and rain forest