My husband and I just returned from our ~ 2 week trip to Peru. We traveled independently and arranged all hotels in advance by email/phone from the U.S. Please let us know if you have any questions.
Our general itinerary below:
* 2 nights in Ollanta
-- Ollanta ruins, town, fiesta
-- Horseback riding to Moray, Maras, Salineras
-- Pisac ruins and Sunday market
-- Hotel: Munay Tika
-- Favorite Eatery: Hearts Cafe
* 2 nights in Aguas Calientes
-- Vistadome train from Ollanta to Aguas Calientes
-- Backpacker train back to Ollanta
-- Inka Massage -- twice
-- Hotel: Wiracocha Inn
-- Favorite restaurant: Indio Feliz: Peruvian French. Ate both dinners here
* 1 full day in Machu Picchu
-- Hiked Huayna Picchu
-- Spent total 9 hours in MP
-- Overnight in AC before and after
* 3 nights in Cusco
-- Sacsayhuayman ruins
-- Ninos Hotel -- lovely!
-- Somes churches and Inka museum
-- Fiesta, fiesta, fiesta. Too much in fact that it interrupted our sightseeing. Many museums and churches were closed.
* Bus from Cusco to Puno
-- Inka Express bus
-- Sightseeing along the way
* 1 night in Puno
-- Hotel: Posada don Giorgio
* 1 1/2 days in Lake Titicaca
-- Tour boat from Puno to Uros and Taquille
-- Private boat from Taquille to Amantani Island
-- Overnight in Kantuna Lodge (not really a lodge, more like someone's house with a few more rooms, but there's electricity)
-- Private boat to Peninsula
-- Combis (!!) back to Puno. Packed with locals. No other means of transportation. It turned out fun afterall.
-- Advice: Need 3 full nights to do Lake Titicaca. And go with an established tour like All Ways Travel. Our customized tour was a lot more expensive and stressful (some glitches in the arrangement).
* 2 nights in Lima
-- Sheraton -- Club Level. Much needed after our adventure in Lake Titicaca area.
-- Churches and the Museum of Larcoma Herrera (expensive, but interesting but potteries).
Overall, we love the Sacred Valley the best -- amazing scenery -- mountains, valleys, farmlands, people, food.
Just Back from Peru -- Questions Welcome
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Santiago neighborhoods for apartments in Dec./Jan.
- 2 Cusco/Sacred Valley Guide Recommendation
- 3 packers and movers in vadodara
- 4 Mendoza
- 5 How to see Lake Titicaca
- 6 General Peru questions
- 7 Help with plan for peru trip in September
- 8 Valparaiso Hotels - which one to stay in March??
- 9 Tipping in Peru
- 10 Peru - Machu Picchu in August - What To Pack?
- 11 Argentinaest place for rental: jan feb march
- 12 Itinierary for a 2 country trip - Peru & Argentina
- 13 My June '14 Peru Trip
- 14 Ecuador - Otavolo and/or Cotopaxi? plus tour operator question
- 15 Santiago & Elqui Valley stargazing
- 16 Patagonia...You took our breath away
- 17 No kids, 1st class, active Galapagos
- 18 visa for brazil
- 19 Pisco Dreams; Nine Days in the Sacred Valley, Cusco and Lima
- 20 Brazil/Buzios: Booking bus tickets in advance?
- 21 Montes Claros to Minas Novas travel suggestions
- 22 Santiago and Puerto Montt in a week
- 23 Air Conditioning in Valparaiso?
- 24 Lakes District: Where to Base for 10 days
- 25 3 Full Days in Iguazu?