I recently visited Mexico City as was absolutely amazed. I thought this megapolis just would be another Latin American capital whose colonial charms are ruined by dilapidation and post-colonial ugly building constructions. In simple English, I thought maybe there would be a couple nice square as well as pretty churches dotted throughout the city with most of the rest of the city ugly. True, the ever-sprawling appearance and style of Greater Mexico City usually puts off even many nationals. However, the sizable enough historic center is nothing short of beautiful. This area is packed with very well preserved architecture, fine murals and classy restaurants known for great ambiance. What's more, the charming and small town colonial suburbs that are San Ángel and Coyoacán add to the overall allure of visiting the capital.
Anyway, do you think I would like Lima? If it consists of mostly ugly urban sprawl/blight with few and relatively small areas of colonial charm (like a couple squares as well as churches dotted around), then I probably would not want to visit. However, if Lima is something like Mexico City or Quito (which also has a rather sizable historic center that is nothing short of beautiful), then probably I would like it. What are your thoughts? Incidentally, I visited Cuzco and liked it, but of course, Lima is much bigger and if I enjoyed Cuzco I do not know whether Lima ranks among the country’s more attractive urban destinations.
Is Lima as Nice as Mexico City and Quito?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Speak to me of Peru
- 2 Back to South America
- 3 Peru/Machu Picchu/Cuzco suggestions
- 4 Itinerary advice for a 5 week trip to Peru
- 5 Cusco, Pto Maldonado, Titicaca and Trujillo!
- 6 Plan a 3 month South America trip in less than 2 months
- 7 Trip to Machu Picchu
- 8 RECIFE, where to stay during WORLD CUP??
- 9 Fire in Valparaiso
- 10 HELP!!! Sao Paulo for a day???
- 11 Machu Picchu with a bum knee
- 12 Independence Day in Cuzco
- 13 Ecuador - should we go?
- 14 Buenos Aires + only 1 Patagonia location
- 15 Cotopaxi Day Tour
- 16 Travel from Cusco to Tacna by bus
- 17 Driving in Ecuador
- 18 Out travels in Bolivia Peru and Ecuador
- 19 To Buenos Aires and beyond
- 20 Should we book Argentina trip in May 2014?
- 21 2-3 months backpacking trip to Peru, Bolivia, Chile and Buenos Aires
- 22 Brazil/Buzios: Booking bus tickets in advance?
- 23 9 day Itinerary Advice: Lima, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu
- 24 Question about LAN Peru LAX-Cusco
- 25 Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra