I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone agrees that Huayna Picchu is faster - between 45 min to 1.5 hours, and that Machu Picchu Mountain is much higher and takes longer - about 3 hours.
The conflict is that some people are saying that Huayna Picchu is easier, some say harder. I can't tell if the criteria is simply endurance due to duration of hike?
My criteria for hard/easy would be more about how scary the hike is - sheer dropoffs, difficult areas where you have to pull yourself up/climb, etc. I can handle a fair amount of stairs and cardio, but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I've climbed the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan, Mexico, but I went back down on my bum. Some pictures I've seen of Huayna Picchu look really scary, but it's hard to tell.
I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on either/both peaks.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 South America this October
- 2 San Salvador Layover
- 3 Brief Notes on a February in Ecuador
- 4 Colca/Arequipa/Puno - organized tour (bus) or something less crowded?
- 5 Iguazu Falls - 4 star hotel near the airport?
- 6 Wine Tours in Chile and Argentina -
- 7 Chile & Argentina wine trips
- 8 Welltravbrit's Colombia - Statues, Tombs, and Carnaval!
- 9 Huaraz to Trujillo, Chiclayo and Piura
- 10 Santiago & Valparaiso - Help with Planning
- 11 Couple of days out from Bogota - Safe and possible?
- 12 2 weeks in Peru/Chile
- 13 Ecuador Trip Plan: What did we get right and wrong?
- 14 Logistics to reach Angel Falls in Venezuela
- 15 Inca Trail Report: 5 day version with Wayki Trek
- 16 Santiago, Chile
- 17 2 Weeks in Armenia, Colombia/July
- 18 limited time in Cusco
- 19 Iguassu Falls footwear?
- 20 Galápagos Islands: Yacht Angelito
- 21 Lost andean immigration card for Ecuador - problem on exit?
- 22 Visiting Ollantataymbo from Cusco
- 23 Getting Visa for U.S. citizen at the border
- 24 Back "home" in Barranco
- 25 Day trips from Montevideo