I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone agrees that Huayna Picchu is faster - between 45 min to 1.5 hours, and that Machu Picchu Mountain is much higher and takes longer - about 3 hours.
The conflict is that some people are saying that Huayna Picchu is easier, some say harder. I can't tell if the criteria is simply endurance due to duration of hike?
My criteria for hard/easy would be more about how scary the hike is - sheer dropoffs, difficult areas where you have to pull yourself up/climb, etc. I can handle a fair amount of stairs and cardio, but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I've climbed the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan, Mexico, but I went back down on my bum. Some pictures I've seen of Huayna Picchu look really scary, but it's hard to tell.
I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on either/both peaks.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Tour guide/ agency
- 2 The common measurement
- 3 Kudos - Brazilian Visa service = FAST
- 4 Making the most of Montevideo
- 5 Southern Bolivia from Northwest Argentina?
- 6 Need help! Exploring Lakes District, Northern Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego
- 7 Ecuador - Tap Water Question
- 8 9 days in Ecuador-need help planning
- 9 Ecuador weather forecast - is it accurate?
- 10 Santiago - where to stay?
- 11 Peru Trip Report-Lima, Paracas, Cusco
- 12 Peru transport questioins
- 13 Places to eat like a local
- 14 No exit stamp for Argentina - problem?
- 15 Chile Trekking options
- 16 Customs/Immigration Buenos Aires
- 17 Trip Report - 2 Weeks in Peru, July 2016
- 18 visiting Patagonia on cruise ship vs land trip
- 19 Posting Again...any info on Macae, Brazil..100+ miles north of Rio?
- 20 Packing for 2.5 months in Buenos Aires
- 21 Oasis Collection - Apartments in Buenos Aires
- 22 Insect repellent recommendations
- 23 Is Nat Geo Family Odyssey to Galapagos truly kid-friendly
- 24 Galapagos
- 25 Sunday Brunch at Alvear Palace with Avrooster