I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone agrees that Huayna Picchu is faster - between 45 min to 1.5 hours, and that Machu Picchu Mountain is much higher and takes longer - about 3 hours.
The conflict is that some people are saying that Huayna Picchu is easier, some say harder. I can't tell if the criteria is simply endurance due to duration of hike?
My criteria for hard/easy would be more about how scary the hike is - sheer dropoffs, difficult areas where you have to pull yourself up/climb, etc. I can handle a fair amount of stairs and cardio, but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I've climbed the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan, Mexico, but I went back down on my bum. Some pictures I've seen of Huayna Picchu look really scary, but it's hard to tell.
I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on either/both peaks.
Huayna Picchu Vs. Machu Picchu Mountain?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Just a week!
- 2 Pisco Dreams; Nine Days in the Sacred Valley, Cusco and Lima
- 3 MP, SV and Cusco in July - itinerary questions
- 4 driving to salvador
- 5 Peru itinerary in March.. Comments needed please
- 6 NatGeo Patagonia trip
- 7 Bogota - Is it safe?
- 8 Walking The Streets Of Buenos Aires
- 9 Currency Woes
- 10 Peru: Kaleidoscope of Colors. Amazon Cruise, Machu Picchu, Jungle Lodges
- 11 Quito trip
- 12 Peru in 7 (full) days: Cuzco, Puno, Arequipa
- 13 Hiring a driver in the Sacred Valley.....suggestions please
- 14 2 "free days" in Lake District
- 15 Glover escapes cold again and returns to Colombia and Mexico
- 16 1 day in Rio
- 17 Peru advice, and are there any monkeys?
- 18 Chile - Casablanca region vineyard tours. Any recommendations?
- 19 Solo female travelling around South America
- 20 Bariloche car rental
- 21 A Camera Question for the Photogs Out There
- 22 Galapagos Islands
- 23 Trip to Argentina - Help with Patagonia needed!
- 24 Headed to Bogota and Villa de Leyva next week!
- 25 Day trip to Paracas