I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone agrees that Huayna Picchu is faster - between 45 min to 1.5 hours, and that Machu Picchu Mountain is much higher and takes longer - about 3 hours.
The conflict is that some people are saying that Huayna Picchu is easier, some say harder. I can't tell if the criteria is simply endurance due to duration of hike?
My criteria for hard/easy would be more about how scary the hike is - sheer dropoffs, difficult areas where you have to pull yourself up/climb, etc. I can handle a fair amount of stairs and cardio, but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I've climbed the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan, Mexico, but I went back down on my bum. Some pictures I've seen of Huayna Picchu look really scary, but it's hard to tell.
I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on either/both peaks.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 BA & Patagonia - 9 days in November
- 2 First Time in Argentina and Brazil - Buenos Aires and Rio questions
- 3 Visiting Buenos Aires
- 4 Visiting Medellin
- 5 Galapagos: Land based visit + short cruise - opinions appreciated!
- 6 Walking sticks for Machu Picchu?
- 7 Video Report: Argentina, Patagonia Part 1
- 8 brazil beach vacation.... or will get mugged?
- 9 Iguazu logistics and rental car?
- 10 CasaCor Peru October 2015
- 11 Chile in February and March
- 12 5/6 Hour Layover in Santiago - Advice Please
- 13 Rio and Iguacu
- 14 3 weeks to travel
- 15 Galapagos Island
- 16 Land Based Galapagos Was the Right Choice for Me.
- 17 anyone stayed at Alta Piazza in Buenos Aries?
- 18 4 DAY, 3 NIGHT TREK TO MACHU PICCHU
- 19 Astrid y Gaston, Lima, Peru: A mini trip report for foodies only
- 20 Patagonia Trip Reports / El Chaltén
- 21 October - March 2016 in South or Central America
- 22 Does anyone have experience with Discovery-tours by gate 1,
- 23 Peru Best Tours
- 24 Peru- Recommendation for tour company to customize 14 day trip
- 25 Brasilia Airport - Need Reassurance!