I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone agrees that Huayna Picchu is faster - between 45 min to 1.5 hours, and that Machu Picchu Mountain is much higher and takes longer - about 3 hours.
The conflict is that some people are saying that Huayna Picchu is easier, some say harder. I can't tell if the criteria is simply endurance due to duration of hike?
My criteria for hard/easy would be more about how scary the hike is - sheer dropoffs, difficult areas where you have to pull yourself up/climb, etc. I can handle a fair amount of stairs and cardio, but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I've climbed the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan, Mexico, but I went back down on my bum. Some pictures I've seen of Huayna Picchu look really scary, but it's hard to tell.
I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on either/both peaks.
Huayna Picchu Vs. Machu Picchu Mountain?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Ten days in Ecuador
- 2 Urgent Help Required Regarding International Transit Through Brazil.
- 3 Peru and Brazil: A South American Adventure
- 4 Lost andean immigration card for Ecuador - problem on exit?
- 5 Dollars, sols or credit cards in Peru?
- 6 NW of Argentina
- 7 Peru versus Bolivia
- 8 Need advise for Argentina and surrounding areas in May??
- 9 Enchanting-South America-tour companies
- 10 altitude sickness (Bolivia vs. Peru)
- 11 Need help in where to stay in Mendoza in December
- 12 Amazon Rainforest Indigenous Peoples
- 13 Using Internet for Finances in South America
- 14 Flight to El Calafate for one day
- 15 Peru in December
- 16 Anniversary of 9/11/01
- 17 Travel with my boyfriend of 4 years to Brazil!
- 18 NYT Article on Cartagena
- 19 Can the Bolivia experts please check this itinerary?
- 20 Santiago, Mendoza, and Need Suggestions!
- 21 Lone Male - Puerto Rico, Havana or Costa Rica???
- 22 Low Altitude airports in Bolivia
- 23 Ipad Hackers in Peru?
- 24 Getting from Punta Arenas, Chile, to Ushuaia, Argentina
- 25 Trip report/blog - Machu Picchu and the Amazon Rainforest