I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone agrees that Huayna Picchu is faster - between 45 min to 1.5 hours, and that Machu Picchu Mountain is much higher and takes longer - about 3 hours.
The conflict is that some people are saying that Huayna Picchu is easier, some say harder. I can't tell if the criteria is simply endurance due to duration of hike?
My criteria for hard/easy would be more about how scary the hike is - sheer dropoffs, difficult areas where you have to pull yourself up/climb, etc. I can handle a fair amount of stairs and cardio, but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I've climbed the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan, Mexico, but I went back down on my bum. Some pictures I've seen of Huayna Picchu look really scary, but it's hard to tell.
I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on either/both peaks.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Satisfy Girl By Long Time stamina With Testinate 250
- 2 Brief Notes on a February in Ecuador
- 3 Welltravbrit's Colombia - Statues, Tombs, and Carnaval!
- 4 3 Days/2 Night Treks to Machu Picchu
- 5 Galapagos Add Ons
- 6 First Time In South America Itinerary
- 7 Itinerary - Peru, Bolivia, Argentina Query
- 8 The Travel Cartel Go to Colombia
- 9 Trip Report Ecuador
- 10 Chile, Ecuadoror Columbia
- 11 Santiago > Valparaiso: worth driving?
- 12 zika to cancel or not to cancel
- 13 Trip Report..Bolivia (Titikaka, La Paz, Uyuni, Potosi, Sucre) Nov. 2011
- 14 Day trips from Montevideo
- 15 H Stern Jewelers, Brazil
- 16 some practical tips for Buenos Aires and day trips
- 17 Driving tips and suggestions for Torres del Paine
- 18 Help with 3 Week Itinerary
- 19 2 Weeks in South America- Need advice
- 20 Itinerary help - Argentina and....?
- 21 Ecuador, Places to shop
- 22 Only one day in Quito recommendations.
- 23 Sacred Valley/Inca Trail April 2015 Trip Report
- 24 Booking the Grey Glacier Boat Tour
- 25 Volunteering in South America, maybe Peru?