I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone agrees that Huayna Picchu is faster - between 45 min to 1.5 hours, and that Machu Picchu Mountain is much higher and takes longer - about 3 hours.
The conflict is that some people are saying that Huayna Picchu is easier, some say harder. I can't tell if the criteria is simply endurance due to duration of hike?
My criteria for hard/easy would be more about how scary the hike is - sheer dropoffs, difficult areas where you have to pull yourself up/climb, etc. I can handle a fair amount of stairs and cardio, but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I've climbed the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan, Mexico, but I went back down on my bum. Some pictures I've seen of Huayna Picchu look really scary, but it's hard to tell.
I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on either/both peaks.
Huayna Picchu Vs. Machu Picchu Mountain?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Patagonia Trip Report: Kayaking, Riding and Hiking in the South
- 2 Guide and car for day in Quito
- 3 Peru, Amazon, Brazil... best solo? Tour?
- 4 Language school in Antigua or Quetzaltenango
- 5 TDP in August
- 6 Peru in December
- 7 Quito: Old city or new?
- 8 Galapagos.. questions about cruises, seasons, Quito hotels
- 9 amazon jungle trips
- 10 Amazon Cruise
- 11 3 Full Days in Iguazu?
- 12 Trip with my boyfriend to the Brazilian city of São Paulo!
- 13 Brazil for Carnival
- 14 16 days in Brazil - ideas please
- 15 Pisco Dreams; Nine Days in the Sacred Valley, Cusco and Lima
- 16 Last 2 weeks
- 17 10 nights in Argentina
- 18 Flight to El Calafate for one day
- 19 Urgent Help Required Regarding International Transit Through Brazil.
- 20 Sobering Film
- 21 Travel to Peru with my 5 best friends!
- 22 Estancias Outside Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 23 Peru- making up a small 50+ group
- 24 Machu Picchu First?
- 25 Rosh Hashanah