I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone agrees that Huayna Picchu is faster - between 45 min to 1.5 hours, and that Machu Picchu Mountain is much higher and takes longer - about 3 hours.
The conflict is that some people are saying that Huayna Picchu is easier, some say harder. I can't tell if the criteria is simply endurance due to duration of hike?
My criteria for hard/easy would be more about how scary the hike is - sheer dropoffs, difficult areas where you have to pull yourself up/climb, etc. I can handle a fair amount of stairs and cardio, but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I've climbed the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan, Mexico, but I went back down on my bum. Some pictures I've seen of Huayna Picchu look really scary, but it's hard to tell.
I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on either/both peaks.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Colchagua Valey
- 2 Do you need passes to see machu picch?
- 3 Peru to Salar de Uyuni
- 4 Planning Trip to Patagonia and Wine Country
- 5 Trip Report: Bogota
- 6 Salar de Uyuni: a guide
- 7 Bogota, Providencia and Where Else?
- 8 Travel Agent Recommendation for Patagonia
- 9 Travel in Brazil or visit Machu Picchu?
- 10 Sacred Valley/Inca Trail April 2015 Trip Report
- 11 Trip Report - Peru - Long
- 12 Pantanal tour prices
- 13 Safety in Rio?
- 14 Tours to Machu Picchu
- 15 New to traveling, and I need help.
- 16 Argentina Trip report
- 17 My Lima Layover
- 18 Strike Peru May 27-28 - urgent decision
- 19 Not your usual Lima Layover Trip Report
- 20 Areas to stay in Rio de Janiero and Buenos Aires
- 21 Absolute must in 3-4 days in Galapagos
- 22 It's Restaurant Week in Lima til 24 May
- 23 Hostels in Rio de Janeiro
- 24 Recommended tour companies for the Galapagos Islands
- 25 Itinerary Advice..+/- days advice