I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone agrees that Huayna Picchu is faster - between 45 min to 1.5 hours, and that Machu Picchu Mountain is much higher and takes longer - about 3 hours.
The conflict is that some people are saying that Huayna Picchu is easier, some say harder. I can't tell if the criteria is simply endurance due to duration of hike?
My criteria for hard/easy would be more about how scary the hike is - sheer dropoffs, difficult areas where you have to pull yourself up/climb, etc. I can handle a fair amount of stairs and cardio, but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I've climbed the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan, Mexico, but I went back down on my bum. Some pictures I've seen of Huayna Picchu look really scary, but it's hard to tell.
I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on either/both peaks.
Huayna Picchu Vs. Machu Picchu Mountain?
- 1 Celebrating A Century Of Flight
- 2 Problems with emails USA-Brazil
- 3 how to get to San Pedro de Atacama, Chile
- 4 8 Days in Brazil
- 5 Need Help with Itinerary (2.5 Months) (Indian Passport)
- 6 Carribean to Argentina or Uruguay
- 7 Flight and Lodging in Manaus and Rio
- 8 Practical to combine Amazon + beaches with visit to the Guianas?
- 9 Where to celebrate the New Year ?
- 10 To Buenos Aires and beyond
- 11 Lower savings with the "blue" exchange rate?
- 12 Peru Hop?
- 13 3 days before Cuzco/Machu Picchu - what to do, where to go
- 14 "Up to" 40% discount on LAN flights around South America today only
- 15 Uruguay Re-Do
- 16 Montevideo, Uruguay
- 17 60 Hours in Buenos Aires: Blue Dollar Heaven
- 18 More suggested reading
- 19 Please help me jump-start planning for Galapagos trip
- 20 Peru Best Tours: Buyers Beware
- 21 Bariloche over XMas
- 22 Quark Expeditions 50% off sale - Antarctica 2014
- 23 Traveling with a Computer?
- 24 Christmas Day in Buenos Aires
- 25 Two Weeks Ecuador - Itinerary Help!