I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone agrees that Huayna Picchu is faster - between 45 min to 1.5 hours, and that Machu Picchu Mountain is much higher and takes longer - about 3 hours.
The conflict is that some people are saying that Huayna Picchu is easier, some say harder. I can't tell if the criteria is simply endurance due to duration of hike?
My criteria for hard/easy would be more about how scary the hike is - sheer dropoffs, difficult areas where you have to pull yourself up/climb, etc. I can handle a fair amount of stairs and cardio, but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I've climbed the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan, Mexico, but I went back down on my bum. Some pictures I've seen of Huayna Picchu look really scary, but it's hard to tell.
I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on either/both peaks.
Huayna Picchu Vs. Machu Picchu Mountain?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Chile/Patagonia Itinerary Questions
- 2 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 3 Lima-Paracas-Nazca-Huacachina-Lima (bus/drive)
- 4 Hawaii or Rio for single male traveler
- 5 New Years Eve: Rio or Buenos Aires?
- 6 Tour guides needed for SugarLoaf and Corcovado? Transfer recs?
- 7 4 weeks in Chile
- 8 Lima-Paracas-Nazca: in 1 day?
- 9 New Year's Eve in Lima
- 10 Bogota - Is it safe?
- 11 Para Ti, Brazil
- 12 Advice needed for Colombia
- 13 Chile and Argentina
- 14 To Iguazu Falls, No Time To Tango
- 15 2nd Leg Retirement Trip
- 16 In Celebration of Retiring: A Luxe Trip to Peru
- 17 Buenos Aires GTG, Tuesday, Jan.13
- 18 El valle de Elquí
- 19 Need a "just in case" Buenos Aires restaurant recommendation
- 20 Columbia Questions
- 21 Bogota
- 22 Planning 3 weeks in Columbia
- 23 Bus tickets from El Calafate to Puerto Natales (Patagonia) in December?
- 24 Jewish sites and tour of Buenos Aires?
- 25 Patagonia Trip Report: Kayaking, Riding and Hiking in the South