I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone agrees that Huayna Picchu is faster - between 45 min to 1.5 hours, and that Machu Picchu Mountain is much higher and takes longer - about 3 hours.
The conflict is that some people are saying that Huayna Picchu is easier, some say harder. I can't tell if the criteria is simply endurance due to duration of hike?
My criteria for hard/easy would be more about how scary the hike is - sheer dropoffs, difficult areas where you have to pull yourself up/climb, etc. I can handle a fair amount of stairs and cardio, but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I've climbed the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan, Mexico, but I went back down on my bum. Some pictures I've seen of Huayna Picchu look really scary, but it's hard to tell.
I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on either/both peaks.
Huayna Picchu Vs. Machu Picchu Mountain?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Peru and Brazil: A South American Adventure
- 2 Brazil/Buzios: Booking bus tickets in advance?
- 3 Ecuador 5 to 6 weeks
- 4 Packing for Peru in August - Recommendations?
- 5 2 wks in Colombia
- 6 Dentist in Buenos Aires
- 7 Peru & Altitude Questions
- 8 iguaza falls
- 9 Argentina Holiday Help
- 10 Lost andean immigration card for Ecuador - problem on exit?
- 11 Buenos Aries
- 12 Tour guide for Machu Picchu
- 13 Travel to Ecuador in pregnancy
- 14 14 days in Brazil mid-december through New Year's Eve- help please
- 15 Peru jungle – looking for wildlife/comfort balance
- 16 cheap flights to paraguay
- 17 Lake Titicaca and Puno - advice on itinerary and altitude sickness?
- 18 Amazon River & surrounds: How much is practical in 3 weeks?
- 19 CHILE, please help me in planning our trip.....
- 20 I SURVIVED PERU (subtitle: yes, it's safe for a solo female traveler)
- 21 Obtaining a visa while abroad
- 22 2-week Peru itinerary - any advice or recommended changes?
- 23 Transport in and around Peru (buses/taxis) - safety
- 24 Getting from Punta Arenas, Chile, to Ushuaia, Argentina
- 25 Peru - best way to handle money? Bring a lot of cash for exchange or ATMs?