I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone agrees that Huayna Picchu is faster - between 45 min to 1.5 hours, and that Machu Picchu Mountain is much higher and takes longer - about 3 hours.
The conflict is that some people are saying that Huayna Picchu is easier, some say harder. I can't tell if the criteria is simply endurance due to duration of hike?
My criteria for hard/easy would be more about how scary the hike is - sheer dropoffs, difficult areas where you have to pull yourself up/climb, etc. I can handle a fair amount of stairs and cardio, but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I've climbed the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan, Mexico, but I went back down on my bum. Some pictures I've seen of Huayna Picchu look really scary, but it's hard to tell.
I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on either/both peaks.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 0nlinE: YAHOO Tec*h SUPP0RT CONTACT ☎ 1:8OO:540 :683O YAHOO MAIL 24*7
- 2 How many days in Medellin area?
- 3 Machu Picchu changes its entry schedule
- 4 Lodging by Medellin Airport
- 5 Argentinian Honeymoon
- 6 Finding a group to hike with
- 7 Buenos Aires, Patagonia hike, Uraguay beach and Iguazu idea feedback needed
- 8 Cusco and the Sacred Valley
- 9 Torres del Paine from Punta Arenas
- 10 Chilean Travel Agent Suggestions Needed
- 11 Galapagus July
- 12 The Atacama Desert
- 13 Best BA neighborhood to stay in?
- 14 AirB&B in Buenos Airies
- 15 2 day Inca Trek and a fear of exposure/heights
- 16 1 day for Iguazu Falls (I know, but that's all she has)
- 17 Pisco sours
- 18 Trip Report Chile: A Country of Diverse and Amazing Beauty...
- 19 Last min cruise to the Galapagos
- 20 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 21 Soles in Lima,Peru
- 22 Baños & Alausí (Paillon & Nariz del Diablo)!
- 23 Help needed with itinerary for Argentina and Chile
- 24 2 Weeks in Cusco Itinerary
- 25 Huacachina, Peru