I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone agrees that Huayna Picchu is faster - between 45 min to 1.5 hours, and that Machu Picchu Mountain is much higher and takes longer - about 3 hours.
The conflict is that some people are saying that Huayna Picchu is easier, some say harder. I can't tell if the criteria is simply endurance due to duration of hike?
My criteria for hard/easy would be more about how scary the hike is - sheer dropoffs, difficult areas where you have to pull yourself up/climb, etc. I can handle a fair amount of stairs and cardio, but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I've climbed the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan, Mexico, but I went back down on my bum. Some pictures I've seen of Huayna Picchu look really scary, but it's hard to tell.
I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on either/both peaks.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Peru 18 day itinerary help please!
- 2 Peru/Amazon/ Machy Picchu Family Vacation
- 3 galapagos island
- 4 Peru's Amazon and the Heat - Iquitos Ceiba Tops Lodge vs. Puerto Maldonado
- 5 Questions Regarding Buenos Aires
- 6 Thinking of OAT trip to Machu Picchu, Galapagos and Amazon Rain Forest
- 7 christmas in buenos aires
- 8 Changing money upon arrival in Buenos Aires
- 9 Advantages of bringing cash to Argentina
- 10 10-12 week Backpacking Trip in South America
- 11 Best Latin American countries!
- 12 Peru in Late February?
- 13 Sao Paulo
- 14 Patagonia Trip Reports / El Chaltén
- 15 (Santiago/Valpo done)---Mendoza help please!
- 16 Salud !
- 17 Cartagena
- 18 Peru domestic airline layover time
- 19 anyone stayed at Alta Piazza in Buenos Aries?
- 20 OAT trip to Columbia?
- 21 Best Bus Company to Iguazu Falls
- 22 ferry: Buenos Aires to Colonia del Sacramento
- 23 Transportation from El Calafate to Puerto Natales
- 24 Pisco Dreams; Nine Days in the Sacred Valley, Cusco and Lima
- 25 Galapagos Island