I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone agrees that Huayna Picchu is faster - between 45 min to 1.5 hours, and that Machu Picchu Mountain is much higher and takes longer - about 3 hours.
The conflict is that some people are saying that Huayna Picchu is easier, some say harder. I can't tell if the criteria is simply endurance due to duration of hike?
My criteria for hard/easy would be more about how scary the hike is - sheer dropoffs, difficult areas where you have to pull yourself up/climb, etc. I can handle a fair amount of stairs and cardio, but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I've climbed the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan, Mexico, but I went back down on my bum. Some pictures I've seen of Huayna Picchu look really scary, but it's hard to tell.
I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on either/both peaks.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Lima Foodie Resource(s)
- 2 Buenos Aires hotel for 2 nights
- 3 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 4 Cusco to Ollantaytambo via Salt Flats
- 5 Any suggestions for tour companies for Inca Trail Trek to MP?
- 6 9 days in Ecuador-need help planning
- 7 Buenos Aires-ideas for side trips
- 8 Self Drive from BsAs to Tierra del Fuego
- 9 Suggested driving route Lima to Huaraz?
- 10 Cajamarca
- 11 Choquequirao Questions
- 12 Advice? First SA experience in Ecuador has so far been disappointing
- 13 Amazon and the Inca Trail
- 14 What to do with two free nites on arrival in Argentina
- 15 South America 2 Months Itinery
- 16 Finalizing Patagonia Itinerary-Suggestions?
- 17 Torres del Paine, 3 hotel oprions
- 18 5 day Galapagos cruise in Nov
- 19 Our ATMs to give 500 and 100 peso bills
- 20 Sixty days in Colombia
- 21 Machu Picchu - NatGeo vs. OAT
- 22 Taking the Bus Santiago Airport to Valpo
- 23 MP and Torres del Paine on same trip?
- 24 Steak house rec in Buenos Aires near Recoleta
- 25 12 Day Peru Itinerary Help