I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone agrees that Huayna Picchu is faster - between 45 min to 1.5 hours, and that Machu Picchu Mountain is much higher and takes longer - about 3 hours.
The conflict is that some people are saying that Huayna Picchu is easier, some say harder. I can't tell if the criteria is simply endurance due to duration of hike?
My criteria for hard/easy would be more about how scary the hike is - sheer dropoffs, difficult areas where you have to pull yourself up/climb, etc. I can handle a fair amount of stairs and cardio, but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I've climbed the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan, Mexico, but I went back down on my bum. Some pictures I've seen of Huayna Picchu look really scary, but it's hard to tell.
I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on either/both peaks.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Chile or Argentina?
- 2 South America this October
- 3 Itinerary Help Brazil 10 days
- 4 Spontaneity in Cusco activities possible?
- 5 Galápagos Islands: Yacht Angelito
- 6 Antarctica on the Vavilov-How to book?
- 7 Peru in December
- 8 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 9 Tarapoto
- 10 Cusco and Machu Picchu
- 11 Transportation: Cusco Airport to Ollantaytamba train station
- 12 Some Nature/Bird Lodges in Colombia
- 13 Buenos Aires/Argentina 10+ Day, Solo Woman Traveler
- 14 Machu Picchu - any good hiking guide companies?
- 15 A brief encounter with Ecuador
- 16 Extra two days In Cusco or Lima..Early September
- 17 Need some help in getting started-first vacation to South America!
- 18 Hiking in Ecuador: Water and Clothing Advice Please
- 19 Packing for Galapagos Cruise - Lessons Learned
- 20 Campinas and Natal help
- 21 Ecuador Haciendas and Weather
- 22 Getting Visa for U.S. citizen at the border
- 23 Uruguay for wildlife
- 24 A month in Argentina--what would you do?
- 25 Cusco to Ollantaytambo via Salt Flats