I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone agrees that Huayna Picchu is faster - between 45 min to 1.5 hours, and that Machu Picchu Mountain is much higher and takes longer - about 3 hours.
The conflict is that some people are saying that Huayna Picchu is easier, some say harder. I can't tell if the criteria is simply endurance due to duration of hike?
My criteria for hard/easy would be more about how scary the hike is - sheer dropoffs, difficult areas where you have to pull yourself up/climb, etc. I can handle a fair amount of stairs and cardio, but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I've climbed the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan, Mexico, but I went back down on my bum. Some pictures I've seen of Huayna Picchu look really scary, but it's hard to tell.
I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on either/both peaks.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 2 day Inca Trek and a fear of exposure/heights
- 2 Tourist travel with a Business Visa?
- 3 South American city for 2 female travelers to visit mid June?
- 4 Pereu Floodingf
- 5 Best BA neighborhood to stay in?
- 6 Lunahuana
- 7 Machu Picchu train - luggage limits?
- 8 Cruz del Sur bus - Lima to Paracas
- 9 One week in Cartagena?
- 10 Can USA citizens avoid hotel taxes?
- 11 Lima-Cusco-Ollantaytambo-Machu Picchu first timers
- 12 Hiking Tour Companies - Machu Picchu & Chile
- 13 Argentina in 15 days with a toddler: Trip report!
- 14 Cordoba-scenic small towns nearby
- 15 Family Adventure in Ecuador
- 16 Exploring the cities of Ecuador's Andes
- 17 Choquequirao Questions
- 18 Trip Report to BsAs and Patagonia (With Pics and Vids)
- 19 MARCHU PICCHU
- 20 Santiago > Valparaiso: worth driving?
- 21 What type of currency for Bolivia
- 22 Cordoba horseback riding day trip
- 23 Thoughts on our itinerary?
- 24 Agency to purchase tickets to US
- 25 Chile/Patagonia/Torres del Paine/Valparaiso