I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone agrees that Huayna Picchu is faster - between 45 min to 1.5 hours, and that Machu Picchu Mountain is much higher and takes longer - about 3 hours.
The conflict is that some people are saying that Huayna Picchu is easier, some say harder. I can't tell if the criteria is simply endurance due to duration of hike?
My criteria for hard/easy would be more about how scary the hike is - sheer dropoffs, difficult areas where you have to pull yourself up/climb, etc. I can handle a fair amount of stairs and cardio, but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I've climbed the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan, Mexico, but I went back down on my bum. Some pictures I've seen of Huayna Picchu look really scary, but it's hard to tell.
I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on either/both peaks.
Huayna Picchu Vs. Machu Picchu Mountain?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Cusco, Pto Maldonado, Titicaca and Trujillo!
- 2 Back to South America
- 3 Amazon from the Andes?
- 4 Please Help - Santiago, Mendoza & Buenos Aires
- 5 Bogotá Restaurants
- 6 Speak to me of Peru
- 7 RECIFE, where to stay during WORLD CUP??
- 8 Inhotim in one day? please???
- 9 What time to arrive at Machu Picchu?
- 10 Salta vs. Santiago
- 11 Buenos Aires + only 1 Patagonia location
- 12 Brazil visa for Iguazu + fees for Argentina & Chile
- 13 Exito Travel ? reliable travel agencies?
- 14 Somewhere hot!!!!!!
- 15 Itinerary advice for a 5 week trip to Peru
- 16 Peru/Machu Picchu/Cuzco suggestions
- 17 Plan a 3 month South America trip in less than 2 months
- 18 Trip to Machu Picchu
- 19 Fire in Valparaiso
- 20 HELP!!! Sao Paulo for a day???
- 21 Machu Picchu with a bum knee
- 22 Independence Day in Cuzco
- 23 Cotopaxi Day Tour
- 24 Travel from Cusco to Tacna by bus
- 25 Driving in Ecuador