I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone agrees that Huayna Picchu is faster - between 45 min to 1.5 hours, and that Machu Picchu Mountain is much higher and takes longer - about 3 hours.
The conflict is that some people are saying that Huayna Picchu is easier, some say harder. I can't tell if the criteria is simply endurance due to duration of hike?
My criteria for hard/easy would be more about how scary the hike is - sheer dropoffs, difficult areas where you have to pull yourself up/climb, etc. I can handle a fair amount of stairs and cardio, but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I've climbed the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan, Mexico, but I went back down on my bum. Some pictures I've seen of Huayna Picchu look really scary, but it's hard to tell.
I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on either/both peaks.
Huayna Picchu Vs. Machu Picchu Mountain?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Obtaining a visa while abroad
- 2 Pantanal or rurrenbaque?
- 3 Lodge in Pantanal
- 4 Pantanal on your own
- 5 Visa Question: U.S. Citizen Flying from Brazil to Bolivia
- 6 2 weeks in Argentina - end of Nov. to early Dec.
- 7 3 Months South America: Argentina - Bolivia - Peru. Ideas?
- 8 Valparaiso Hotels - which one to stay in March??
- 9 14 days in Brazil mid-december through New Year's Eve- help please
- 10 Cachi-Cafayate 9-10 August. Looking to share car rental costs
- 11 Amazon River & surrounds: How much is practical in 3 weeks?
- 12 Patagonia...You took our breath away
- 13 Buying a one way ticket into South America
- 14 Cell phone in Brazil
- 15 10 Full Days in Peru
- 16 Fly to Fernando de Noronha
- 17 10 day itinerary questions
- 18 Huayna Picchu Vs. Machu Picchu Mountain?
- 19 Please comment on this 8 week itinerary (Brazil, Argentina, Bolivia, Peru)!
- 20 Iguazu Falls for a single woman?
- 21 ATM San Pedro de Atacama
- 22 Santiago 2 days
- 23 Galapogas: Short tour vs long tour
- 24 Quito Airport Hotels?
- 25 10 day in peru