I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone agrees that Huayna Picchu is faster - between 45 min to 1.5 hours, and that Machu Picchu Mountain is much higher and takes longer - about 3 hours.
The conflict is that some people are saying that Huayna Picchu is easier, some say harder. I can't tell if the criteria is simply endurance due to duration of hike?
My criteria for hard/easy would be more about how scary the hike is - sheer dropoffs, difficult areas where you have to pull yourself up/climb, etc. I can handle a fair amount of stairs and cardio, but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I've climbed the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan, Mexico, but I went back down on my bum. Some pictures I've seen of Huayna Picchu look really scary, but it's hard to tell.
I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on either/both peaks.
Huayna Picchu Vs. Machu Picchu Mountain?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Galapogos by Land or by Sea?
- 2 3 Weeks Itinerary
- 3 Where to buy cowhide rug in Buenos Aires
- 4 Any recommendations for guide at Iguazu?
- 5 Peru Escorted Travel
- 6 Hugely flexible trip starting in Argentina, 5/5/2014.
- 7 Puno to Arequipa by bus
- 8 Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra
- 9 Sisters trip to Argentina and Chile
- 10 Travel Agency: PeruTourism
- 11 Quito trip review with Gate 1 Travel
- 12 2 weeks in Argentina
- 13 Salta...Travel Brain Dead
- 14 Back to South America
- 15 Plan a 3 month South America trip in less than 2 months
- 16 My Trip to the Galapagos
- 17 More Help With Retirement Trip
- 18 JW Marriott Lima
- 19 Trip Report - Very Long
- 20 Quito recommendations
- 21 60 Hours in Buenos Aires: Blue Dollar Heaven
- 22 Yellow Fever Vaccination Clinic in Salta?
- 23 Which airline to fly to Cusco?
- 24 Able to buy Machu Picchu tickets online today!
- 25 To Buenos Aires and beyond