I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone agrees that Huayna Picchu is faster - between 45 min to 1.5 hours, and that Machu Picchu Mountain is much higher and takes longer - about 3 hours.
The conflict is that some people are saying that Huayna Picchu is easier, some say harder. I can't tell if the criteria is simply endurance due to duration of hike?
My criteria for hard/easy would be more about how scary the hike is - sheer dropoffs, difficult areas where you have to pull yourself up/climb, etc. I can handle a fair amount of stairs and cardio, but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I've climbed the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan, Mexico, but I went back down on my bum. Some pictures I've seen of Huayna Picchu look really scary, but it's hard to tell.
I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on either/both peaks.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Devil's Nose Train and Riobamba
- 2 Santiago/Valpo and Machu Pichu in 8 nights?
- 3 Peru---vaccines and tips
- 4 Argentia/Brazil or CapeTown/Seychelles Nov-Dec 2015
- 5 Travel Report For Brazil
- 6 Visiting Buenos Aires
- 7 3 weeks to travel
- 8 Living in rural South America
- 9 Bolivia and Peru in 5 weeks
- 10 Video Report: Argentina, Patagonia Part 1
- 11 Final dinner tonight
- 12 Bolivianischen and Peru in 5 weeks
- 13 anyone stayed at Alta Piazza in Buenos Aries?
- 14 BA & Patagonia - 9 days in November
- 15 First Time in Argentina and Brazil - Buenos Aires and Rio questions
- 16 Visiting Medellin
- 17 Galapagos: Land based visit + short cruise - opinions appreciated!
- 18 Walking sticks for Machu Picchu?
- 19 brazil beach vacation.... or will get mugged?
- 20 Iguazu logistics and rental car?
- 21 CasaCor Peru October 2015
- 22 Chile in February and March
- 23 5/6 Hour Layover in Santiago - Advice Please
- 24 Rio and Iguacu
- 25 Galapagos Island