I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone agrees that Huayna Picchu is faster - between 45 min to 1.5 hours, and that Machu Picchu Mountain is much higher and takes longer - about 3 hours.
The conflict is that some people are saying that Huayna Picchu is easier, some say harder. I can't tell if the criteria is simply endurance due to duration of hike?
My criteria for hard/easy would be more about how scary the hike is - sheer dropoffs, difficult areas where you have to pull yourself up/climb, etc. I can handle a fair amount of stairs and cardio, but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I've climbed the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan, Mexico, but I went back down on my bum. Some pictures I've seen of Huayna Picchu look really scary, but it's hard to tell.
I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on either/both peaks.
Huayna Picchu Vs. Machu Picchu Mountain?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Three weeks in South America
- 2 Easter Day in Rio
- 3 Now Time For Best Figure
- 4 Argentina Trip report
- 5 One week Family Spring Break in Cartagena and ??
- 6 PERU HORSE TOUR FROM CUSCO TO MACHU PICCHU
- 7 First time to Chile for 2 weeks March/April
- 8 Your tips on Galapagos 2015 for Single Traveler
- 9 Local tour companies in Bolivia
- 10 Ecuador - Amazon Basin Trip
- 11 Reality check for 8 day trip to Peru in May
- 12 2-weeks trip to Chile, itinerary review
- 13 Patagonia tour
- 14 Touring Iguazu Falls
- 15 Patagonia tour in April
- 16 Patagonia tour
- 17 NatGeo Patagonia trip
- 18 Travel to Rio de Janeiro
- 19 Brazil: Bonito/Pantanal : Manaus Guide Recommendations
- 20 Best Peru Tours Review Needed
- 21 What phone works in Peru and Ecuador
- 22 Help! No Idea Where to Go.
- 23 iguazu falls, macchu Picchu and patagonia?
- 24 Argentina ininerary November 2015
- 25 Ecuador 5 to 6 weeks