I would really appreciate opinions on the hike of Huayna Picchu vs Machu Picchu Mountain (the old peak - not the citadel, not the sun gate).
In my research I'm getting conflicting info.
Everyone agrees that Huayna Picchu is faster - between 45 min to 1.5 hours, and that Machu Picchu Mountain is much higher and takes longer - about 3 hours.
The conflict is that some people are saying that Huayna Picchu is easier, some say harder. I can't tell if the criteria is simply endurance due to duration of hike?
My criteria for hard/easy would be more about how scary the hike is - sheer dropoffs, difficult areas where you have to pull yourself up/climb, etc. I can handle a fair amount of stairs and cardio, but I'm a little bit of a chicken. I've climbed the tallest pyramid in the Yucatan, Mexico, but I went back down on my bum. Some pictures I've seen of Huayna Picchu look really scary, but it's hard to tell.
I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on either/both peaks.
Huayna Picchu Vs. Machu Picchu Mountain?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 shower doors installation
- 2 Argentina trip over Christmas and New Years
- 3 Pisco Dreams; Nine Days in the Sacred Valley, Cusco and Lima
- 4 Cartagena: enough for 4-6 days?
- 5 Easter Island flight delays?
- 6 argentina & brazil
- 7 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 8 Colombia, Safe Travels from Cartagena to Santa Marta Area
- 9 Beware of G Adventures Galapagos tour guides!
- 10 A couple days outside of Buenos Aires
- 11 Brazilian music
- 12 Christmas in Cusco
- 13 Blue dollars in Argentina
- 14 Ecuador 5 to 6 weeks
- 15 Colombia Trip Report - Very Long
- 16 Itinerary Help Peru>Bolivia>Chile>Argentina>Brazil
- 17 HELP! Seeking a teaching job down south
- 18 First Leg of retirement Triperu
- 19 The WSJ says it is cheap to eat out in BA - So, what's new????
- 20 Worth staying extra night in Buenos Aires, esp Monday night?
- 21 Change Hotel Locations in Buenos Aires
- 22 Sacred Valley Itinerary Review?
- 23 Please check Buenos Aires itinerary
- 24 Private sightseeing
- 25 Bloomberg now says what yours truly has been saying here for YEARS! LOL!!!