I will be traveling in May 2014 to Peru with my father and I am in the process of planning the trip. Right now the rough itinerary has us starting in Lima and heading south to hit the cities of Pisco, Ica, Huacachina, Nazca, Arequipa, and Puno and the major sites in these areas. From Puno we will take the Andean Explorer to Cusco where we will stay for a few days before heading out to do the Lares Trek/Machu Picchu. Returning to Cusco we will make our way to Puerto Maldonado and Madre de Dios for a few days. The length of the trip is flexible but we are hoping to keep it around 3 weeks. I have a few questions regarding the itinerary, any advice is much appreciated.
What is the best way to travel from Lima to Puno, while visiting the major sites in between (such as the Nazca Lines, Ballestas Islands, Colca Canyon)?
Any suggestions for specific companies/tour operators for Ballestas Islands, Nazca Lines, a rafting trip, Colca canyon?
We definitely want to book guided tours for the Lares Trek and time in the jungle-any suggestions for tour operators or specific itinerary for these excursions?
We would love to incorporate some beach time, even though we won’t be able to visit the north, where are the best places to experience the coast south of Lima?
Both of us love extreme sports, so if you know of any unique experiences in the area please let me know!
Finally, is the time we have allotted, 3 weeks, enough to experience it all?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Bariloche car rental
- 2 Avenue of Volcanoes
- 3 Trip Report: Studying Spanish in Quito and Cuenca 2007
- 4 Seek Suggestions on Trip to Machu Picchu
- 5 Galapagos and Machu Pichu Itinerary Suggestions
- 6 Machu Picchu in January
- 7 Dining in Medellin
- 8 Medellin's hidden Parque is lovely
- 9 Travel with Children to Galapagos
- 10 Christmastime in Santiago/Valparaiso - what to do, where to stay
- 11 Colca Canyon Earthquake
- 12 Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca), Peru
- 13 10 days in Santiago, Easter Islands, San pedro de atacama, doable?
- 14 santiago chile area
- 15 Beach walk in Rio - Copacabana or Ipanema?
- 16 Reflections on our South America trip
- 17 One Day in Santiago/Tour Guide
- 18 Driving from Santiago to Peurto Montt
- 19 Chile: first cut a travel plan
- 20 Argentina and Bolivia in February and March?
- 21 visit in the area of Campinas,Brazil and weather
- 22 Buying show tickets to Cafe Tortoni
- 23 Iguazu Falls-"Best" Way to Reach/See
- 24 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 25 One week in Cartagena?