I will be traveling in May 2014 to Peru with my father and I am in the process of planning the trip. Right now the rough itinerary has us starting in Lima and heading south to hit the cities of Pisco, Ica, Huacachina, Nazca, Arequipa, and Puno and the major sites in these areas. From Puno we will take the Andean Explorer to Cusco where we will stay for a few days before heading out to do the Lares Trek/Machu Picchu. Returning to Cusco we will make our way to Puerto Maldonado and Madre de Dios for a few days. The length of the trip is flexible but we are hoping to keep it around 3 weeks. I have a few questions regarding the itinerary, any advice is much appreciated.
What is the best way to travel from Lima to Puno, while visiting the major sites in between (such as the Nazca Lines, Ballestas Islands, Colca Canyon)?
Any suggestions for specific companies/tour operators for Ballestas Islands, Nazca Lines, a rafting trip, Colca canyon?
We definitely want to book guided tours for the Lares Trek and time in the jungle-any suggestions for tour operators or specific itinerary for these excursions?
We would love to incorporate some beach time, even though we won’t be able to visit the north, where are the best places to experience the coast south of Lima?
Both of us love extreme sports, so if you know of any unique experiences in the area please let me know!
Finally, is the time we have allotted, 3 weeks, enough to experience it all?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Proposed Argentina trip for Feb '18 - looking for advice?
- 2 Ceviche in Peru or Ecuador?
- 3 Cusco area and Machu Picchu guide
- 4 Feria de las flores
- 5 Iquitos or Puerto Maldonado?
- 6 Help planning trip to Chile (Patagonia and Lakes District) in late October
- 7 Looking for travel buddies in Salta/Jujuy
- 8 Travel to Salta/Jujuy
- 9 Argentina with a touch of Chile and some help needed
- 10 Buenos Aires Hotels for 4 nights in early November
- 11 Argentina vs Chile
- 12 Best BA neighborhood to stay in?
- 13 Is the Perito Moreno Glacier worth paying $200+ to walk on?
- 14 Galápagos Islands: Yacht Angelito
- 15 Avianca business class
- 16 Planning Argentina Trip
- 17 Trip Report Chile: A Country of Diverse and Amazing Beauty...
- 18 where to stay Buenos Aires
- 19 Aboard the Amazon Star
- 20 Which Amazon area/lodge in Peru?
- 21 Brazilian Visa Documents - Help!
- 22 Escaping the northern hemisphere winter in the Santiago area?
- 23 comments
- 24 Cusco to La Paz Priorities: Puno VS Copacabana VS La Paz VS Coroico
- 25 3 days precruise-stay in Santiago all 3 or 2 SCL and 1 Valparaiso?