I will be traveling in May 2014 to Peru with my father and I am in the process of planning the trip. Right now the rough itinerary has us starting in Lima and heading south to hit the cities of Pisco, Ica, Huacachina, Nazca, Arequipa, and Puno and the major sites in these areas. From Puno we will take the Andean Explorer to Cusco where we will stay for a few days before heading out to do the Lares Trek/Machu Picchu. Returning to Cusco we will make our way to Puerto Maldonado and Madre de Dios for a few days. The length of the trip is flexible but we are hoping to keep it around 3 weeks. I have a few questions regarding the itinerary, any advice is much appreciated.
What is the best way to travel from Lima to Puno, while visiting the major sites in between (such as the Nazca Lines, Ballestas Islands, Colca Canyon)?
Any suggestions for specific companies/tour operators for Ballestas Islands, Nazca Lines, a rafting trip, Colca canyon?
We definitely want to book guided tours for the Lares Trek and time in the jungle-any suggestions for tour operators or specific itinerary for these excursions?
We would love to incorporate some beach time, even though we won’t be able to visit the north, where are the best places to experience the coast south of Lima?
Both of us love extreme sports, so if you know of any unique experiences in the area please let me know!
Finally, is the time we have allotted, 3 weeks, enough to experience it all?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Family Adventure in Ecuador
- 2 Narrowing Down Itinerary
- 3 SA first-timers* need Peru advice!
- 4 Cartagens for 3.5 days. Looking for suggestions-islands, food tours, etc..
- 5 Need day trip/guide suggestions from Puerto Ayora, Galapagos
- 6 Peru Final 15-day Itinerary Help Needed
- 7 Need Help with Itinerary (2.5 Months) (Indian Passport)
- 8 Best overland route from Lima to Tucuman, Argentina?
- 9 Peru - Puno & Lakes or Amazon
- 10 Did You Visit the Lakes District and/or Chiloe?
- 11 One Day in Santiago/Tour Guide
- 12 Where to start in May?
- 13 Argentina and Bolivia/March and April
- 14 Belated trip report (Quito and Mindo)
- 15 Machu Picchu...Doable?
- 16 Valparaiso to Santiago Airport - How Much Time to Allow?
- 17 Nazcaflights.com - Jon Green - Any good?
- 18 Santiago & Valparaiso - Attire Questions
- 19 A brief encounter with Ecuador
- 20 Chile/Patagonia/Torres del Paine/Valparaiso
- 21 Argentina October 2016
- 22 Another Amazing Trip to Patagonia
- 23 Looking for quiet 1-bedroom apartment in Santiago
- 24 Best overland route from Lima to Tucuman, Argentina?
- 25 Changing money in Chile