I will be traveling in May 2014 to Peru with my father and I am in the process of planning the trip. Right now the rough itinerary has us starting in Lima and heading south to hit the cities of Pisco, Ica, Huacachina, Nazca, Arequipa, and Puno and the major sites in these areas. From Puno we will take the Andean Explorer to Cusco where we will stay for a few days before heading out to do the Lares Trek/Machu Picchu. Returning to Cusco we will make our way to Puerto Maldonado and Madre de Dios for a few days. The length of the trip is flexible but we are hoping to keep it around 3 weeks. I have a few questions regarding the itinerary, any advice is much appreciated.
What is the best way to travel from Lima to Puno, while visiting the major sites in between (such as the Nazca Lines, Ballestas Islands, Colca Canyon)?
Any suggestions for specific companies/tour operators for Ballestas Islands, Nazca Lines, a rafting trip, Colca canyon?
We definitely want to book guided tours for the Lares Trek and time in the jungle-any suggestions for tour operators or specific itinerary for these excursions?
We would love to incorporate some beach time, even though we won’t be able to visit the north, where are the best places to experience the coast south of Lima?
Both of us love extreme sports, so if you know of any unique experiences in the area please let me know!
Finally, is the time we have allotted, 3 weeks, enough to experience it all?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Is four weeks in Equador too much?
- 2 Peru, help cutting costs
- 3 carnival in rio?
- 4 Trip Report: Bogota
- 5 Buenos Aires
- 6 £5000 budget for South America?
- 7 Argentina Trip report
- 8 Water in Peru
- 9 Areas to stay in Rio de Janiero and Buenos Aires
- 10 Travel Agent Recommendation for Patagonia
- 11 Rio to Paraguay and Iguazu Falls advice needed
- 12 Salar de Uyuni: a guide
- 13 Peru to Salar de Uyuni
- 14 Colchagua Valey
- 15 Do you need passes to see machu picch?
- 16 Planning Trip to Patagonia and Wine Country
- 17 Bogota, Providencia and Where Else?
- 18 Travel in Brazil or visit Machu Picchu?
- 19 Sacred Valley/Inca Trail April 2015 Trip Report
- 20 Trip Report - Peru - Long
- 21 Pantanal tour prices
- 22 Safety in Rio?
- 23 Tours to Machu Picchu
- 24 New to traveling, and I need help.
- 25 My Lima Layover