I will be traveling in May 2014 to Peru with my father and I am in the process of planning the trip. Right now the rough itinerary has us starting in Lima and heading south to hit the cities of Pisco, Ica, Huacachina, Nazca, Arequipa, and Puno and the major sites in these areas. From Puno we will take the Andean Explorer to Cusco where we will stay for a few days before heading out to do the Lares Trek/Machu Picchu. Returning to Cusco we will make our way to Puerto Maldonado and Madre de Dios for a few days. The length of the trip is flexible but we are hoping to keep it around 3 weeks. I have a few questions regarding the itinerary, any advice is much appreciated.
What is the best way to travel from Lima to Puno, while visiting the major sites in between (such as the Nazca Lines, Ballestas Islands, Colca Canyon)?
Any suggestions for specific companies/tour operators for Ballestas Islands, Nazca Lines, a rafting trip, Colca canyon?
We definitely want to book guided tours for the Lares Trek and time in the jungle-any suggestions for tour operators or specific itinerary for these excursions?
We would love to incorporate some beach time, even though we won’t be able to visit the north, where are the best places to experience the coast south of Lima?
Both of us love extreme sports, so if you know of any unique experiences in the area please let me know!
Finally, is the time we have allotted, 3 weeks, enough to experience it all?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Ten Days in Chile - TdP and Atacama
- 2 Travel Agency in Peru - Deborah Ferrari
- 3 Buying entrance tickets to Machu Picchu - online not working
- 4 Other forums for Buenos Aires
- 5 My Lima Layover
- 6 Has anyone taken the 3:30am Cruz del Sur bus out of Lima?
- 7 Senior Travelers to Galapagos
- 8 Yohan, Why Not Suriname
- 9 Booking Galapagos accommodation upon arrival in the high season
- 10 Drawing money at ATMs in Brazil
- 11 Best Galapagos cruise itinerary when combining with land trips
- 12 Train to Aguas Calientes
- 13 help with a trip to south america
- 14 Restaurant ideas in Lima for my birthday
- 15 Mistura - anyone been?
- 16 Absolute must in 3-4 days in Galapagos
- 17 Recommended tour companies for the Galapagos Islands
- 18 Jungle Lodge Brazil
- 19 Tickets to enter Machu Picchu
- 20 Ups and downs of our trip to Peru--from Machu Picchu to LIM airport floor
- 21 Other cities to visit in Brazil other than RIO
- 22 Trip to the Amazon!
- 23 3 nights in Arequipa: music, baby alpaca, restaurant suggestions?
- 24 Peruvian Independence Day
- 25 Baños & Alausí (Paillon & Nariz del Diablo)!