A few years ago I visited Reserva Faunística Cuyabeno (see below) in Ecuador hoping to get a rich experience of the Amazon and see great wildlife and otherwise meet authentically indigenous people. Although I have nothing to compare it to, I actually had a great experience and saw much wildlife and stayed at a nice lodge, etc. The only drawback was that the indigenous community did not really care to talk with foreigners. I am guessing this is the rule rather than the exception in the non-commercialized Amazon, but I could be wrong (feel free to correct me if I am wrong).
Anyway, I chose Reserva Faunística Cuyabeno over Peru’s Iquitos for logistical reasons, basically convenience. Without going into any details but rather sticking to the basics here, did I miss out on anything ‘big’? In other words, whether I visit Reserva Faunística Cuyabeno, Iquitos’ surroundings or for that matter Yasuni National Park (also in Ecuador-see below), am I more or less supposed to get a comparable experience in terms of how rich the scenery is, how much wildlife I can see, how well I can interact with the indigenous communities, etc.? I guess I am just trying to figure out if Reserva Faunística Cuyabeno was a good choice for ‘experiencing’ the Amazon. I realize the Amazon is huge, but I want to know if my choice was a good one. Thanks.
Yasuni National Park (also located in Pastaza province): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasuni_National_Park
Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve
Brief overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyabeno_Wildlife_Reserve
Additional information: http://wikitravel.org/en/Cuyabeno_Wild_Life_Reserve
Ecuador’s Amazon vs Peru’s Amazon: Do You Have a Preference?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Plan a 3 month South America trip in less than 2 months
- 2 JW Marriott Lima
- 3 My Trip to the Galapagos
- 4 Trip Report - Very Long
- 5 Sisters trip to Argentina and Chile
- 6 Quito recommendations
- 7 60 Hours in Buenos Aires: Blue Dollar Heaven
- 8 Yellow Fever Vaccination Clinic in Salta?
- 9 Which airline to fly to Cusco?
- 10 Able to buy Machu Picchu tickets online today!
- 11 To Buenos Aires and beyond
- 12 AEP to Recoleta - Taxi/Bus/Car Service
- 13 Cell phone in Brazil?
- 14 Out travels in Bolivia Peru and Ecuador
- 15 Gifts to Bring to Peru
- 16 Ecuador weekend beach trip - is it possible?
- 17 Salta itinerary- 4 nights
- 18 Ecuador-tour guides
- 19 Rio, Iguassu Falls and Buenos Aires
- 20 Lima or Ollantaytambo for Spanish Lessons
- 21 lima airport transport
- 22 Bird Poop Scam Making a Comeback
- 23 Father Daughter Trip to Peru
- 24 Bariloche to Puerto Varas Drive: Stops to Make?
- 25 Argentina currency