A few years ago I visited Reserva Faunística Cuyabeno (see below) in Ecuador hoping to get a rich experience of the Amazon and see great wildlife and otherwise meet authentically indigenous people. Although I have nothing to compare it to, I actually had a great experience and saw much wildlife and stayed at a nice lodge, etc. The only drawback was that the indigenous community did not really care to talk with foreigners. I am guessing this is the rule rather than the exception in the non-commercialized Amazon, but I could be wrong (feel free to correct me if I am wrong).
Anyway, I chose Reserva Faunística Cuyabeno over Peru’s Iquitos for logistical reasons, basically convenience. Without going into any details but rather sticking to the basics here, did I miss out on anything ‘big’? In other words, whether I visit Reserva Faunística Cuyabeno, Iquitos’ surroundings or for that matter Yasuni National Park (also in Ecuador-see below), am I more or less supposed to get a comparable experience in terms of how rich the scenery is, how much wildlife I can see, how well I can interact with the indigenous communities, etc.? I guess I am just trying to figure out if Reserva Faunística Cuyabeno was a good choice for ‘experiencing’ the Amazon. I realize the Amazon is huge, but I want to know if my choice was a good one. Thanks.
Yasuni National Park (also located in Pastaza province): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasuni_National_Park
Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve
Brief overview: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyabeno_Wildlife_Reserve
Additional information: http://wikitravel.org/en/Cuyabeno_Wild_Life_Reserve
Ecuador’s Amazon vs Peru’s Amazon: Do You Have a Preference?
- 1 Trip Report: Argentina and Peru
- 2 Adventure in Brazil : 2011 Trip Report
- 3 Santiago Airport International Flight Connection Information
- 4 Cusco, Urubamba & Macchu Picchu
- 5 Peru & Bolivia (Cusco, Macchu Picchu, Puno, Copacabana, La Paz, Uyuni)
- 6 Trip Report: Brazil--the Pantanal
- 7 Recommendations for Amazon tours
- 8 5 months South America
- 9 Argentina El Calafate to Chilean border - Punta arenas
- 10 2nd Brazil Visit - Ideas please
- 11 5 days in South America - Brazil or Argentina? (Sao Paolo and Rio excluded)
- 12 Chile Itinerary without Patagonia
- 13 Galapagos travel plan recommendation
- 14 Hotel Tyndell or Las Torres in Torres del Paine
- 15 Family trip to Lima and MP
- 16 Machu Picchu - Hiking boots or Teva sandals?
- 17 Highly recommended taxi driver in the Sacred Valley of Peru
- 18 Patagonia Itinerary
- 19 Back to South America
- 20 South America in July
- 21 Might Chile's reciprocity fee disappear in 2014?
- 22 Buenos Aires and Beyond for a Beginner
- 23 Brazil Help!
- 24 Driving from Bariloche to Chile
- 25 Van rental in Punta Arena, Chile