I am in the early stages of planning a trip to Argentina and would love your ideas. 4 years ago my wife and I honeymooned in Chile for 3 weeks. I speak Spanish, have summers off, so we rented a cabin in Pucon for 2 weeks. We landed in Santiago, stayed one night, and drove a rental car down to Pucon (taking about 3 days and staying in a few planned locations), and thoroughly enjoyed this experience.
This time, we're thinking about doing something similar in Argentina and I'd love some advice/answers concerning a few of my plans. I am considering flying into BA and staying for a few days to see the city, then renting a car and driving (at a leisurely pace) from BA to Mendoza and to the Barriloche. Here are a few of my questions:
How are the roads in Argentina, particularly in the Mendoza-Barriloche region? Would we be able to get around well in an economy car (like a Yaris)?
Is it possible/practical to drive a rental car into Chile for a few days?
Any suggestions on must-see places that the travel books usually miss?
Sorry this is so long, thanks in advance for any advice!
Driving and visiting Argentina with a little help from my online friends...
- 1 Route planning- 28 weeks and counting. 1 year South America
- 2 Backpacking South America 2014, Gringo + Backpack = Mochilero
- 3 Machu Pichu accomodation
- 4 A spare day at Machu Pichu
- 5 Travel agency review: Untamed Path for Ecuador/Galapagos
- 6 Vaya Adventures
- 7 Buenos Aires and Beyond for a Beginner
- 8 2 weeks in Peru or 1 week in Peru and 1 in Chile
- 9 La Cabrera -- really good or tourist trap?
- 10 Help with Flight Delays & Planning????
- 11 First South American 2 month trip: Help review please !
- 12 Flights on LAN
- 13 Need help with Cusco itinerary
- 14 Eight Days on Horseback in the Avenue of the Volcanoes
- 15 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 16 More suggested reading
- 17 Family Trip to the Galapagos Islands
- 18 Back to South America
- 19 Peru Trip Report & Reviews (Lima, Sacred Valley, Manu, Cusco)
- 20 Has anyone heard of the tour company "escapes unlimited"?
- 21 which hotel in Cusco-- Second Home or Hotel Andenes al Cielo
- 22 Trip to Peru with my girlfriend (mid 20s)
- 23 Perito Moreno mini walk
- 24 Should we go to Iguazu Falls?
- 25 Crees organisation and foundation and Manu Learning Centre