I'm very close to booking a trip to Peru for this June. I'm just awaiting the green light from my travel companion. I've worked up a draft itineray, below. Any comments would be appreciated.
Day 1 - Fly to Lima, late night arrival, stay at airport hotel.
Day 2- Early morning flight to Cuzco (probably using Star Peru because of the signifcantly lower price compared to LAN), then travel to Ollantayambo (train or taxi??). Spend afternoon puttering around town, ruins.
Day 3- Machu Picchu! Another overnight in Ollantayambo.
Day 4- Reserved for Machu Picchu if first day is a rain out. Travel back to Cusco.
Day 5- Tour Cuzco (favorite activity for me is visiting beautiful churches).
Day 6 - More Cuzco
Day 7 - late morning flight to Lima, spend afternoon exploring. Stay in Miraflores.
Day 8- tour Lima until time to head to airport for late night flight back home.
Couple of questions:
Can there be flexibility with train tickets to Aguascalientes or must they be bought far in advance during the high season like June?
My travel companion is rather fussy about cleanliness. How are public restrooms in places such as restaurants, train station, stores, etc? I am aware of the need to bring my own tissue.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Chile or Argentina?
- 2 Spontaneity in Cusco activities possible?
- 3 Peru in December
- 4 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 5 Galápagos Islands: Yacht Angelito
- 6 Tarapoto
- 7 Cusco and Machu Picchu
- 8 Transportation: Cusco Airport to Ollantaytamba train station
- 9 Some Nature/Bird Lodges in Colombia
- 10 Buenos Aires/Argentina 10+ Day, Solo Woman Traveler
- 11 Antarctica on the Vavilov-How to book?
- 12 Machu Picchu - any good hiking guide companies?
- 13 A brief encounter with Ecuador
- 14 Extra two days In Cusco or Lima..Early September
- 15 Need some help in getting started-first vacation to South America!
- 16 Hiking in Ecuador: Water and Clothing Advice Please
- 17 Packing for Galapagos Cruise - Lessons Learned
- 18 Campinas and Natal help
- 19 Ecuador Haciendas and Weather
- 20 Getting Visa for U.S. citizen at the border
- 21 Uruguay for wildlife
- 22 A month in Argentina--what would you do?
- 23 Cusco to Ollantaytambo via Salt Flats
- 24 45 days in Colombia - Our Experience
- 25 Ecuador safe travel