I'm very close to booking a trip to Peru for this June. I'm just awaiting the green light from my travel companion. I've worked up a draft itineray, below. Any comments would be appreciated.
Day 1 - Fly to Lima, late night arrival, stay at airport hotel.
Day 2- Early morning flight to Cuzco (probably using Star Peru because of the signifcantly lower price compared to LAN), then travel to Ollantayambo (train or taxi??). Spend afternoon puttering around town, ruins.
Day 3- Machu Picchu! Another overnight in Ollantayambo.
Day 4- Reserved for Machu Picchu if first day is a rain out. Travel back to Cusco.
Day 5- Tour Cuzco (favorite activity for me is visiting beautiful churches).
Day 6 - More Cuzco
Day 7 - late morning flight to Lima, spend afternoon exploring. Stay in Miraflores.
Day 8- tour Lima until time to head to airport for late night flight back home.
Couple of questions:
Can there be flexibility with train tickets to Aguascalientes or must they be bought far in advance during the high season like June?
My travel companion is rather fussy about cleanliness. How are public restrooms in places such as restaurants, train station, stores, etc? I am aware of the need to bring my own tissue.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Tourist travel with a Business Visa?
- 2 South American city for 2 female travelers to visit mid June?
- 3 Pereu Floodingf
- 4 Best BA neighborhood to stay in?
- 5 Lunahuana
- 6 Machu Picchu train - luggage limits?
- 7 Cruz del Sur bus - Lima to Paracas
- 8 One week in Cartagena?
- 9 Can USA citizens avoid hotel taxes?
- 10 Lima-Cusco-Ollantaytambo-Machu Picchu first timers
- 11 Hiking Tour Companies - Machu Picchu & Chile
- 12 Argentina in 15 days with a toddler: Trip report!
- 13 Cordoba-scenic small towns nearby
- 14 Family Adventure in Ecuador
- 15 Exploring the cities of Ecuador's Andes
- 16 Choquequirao Questions
- 17 Trip Report to BsAs and Patagonia (With Pics and Vids)
- 18 MARCHU PICCHU
- 19 Santiago > Valparaiso: worth driving?
- 20 What type of currency for Bolivia
- 21 Cordoba horseback riding day trip
- 22 Thoughts on our itinerary?
- 23 Agency to purchase tickets to US
- 24 Chile/Patagonia/Torres del Paine/Valparaiso
- 25 Ecuador Pure Life (tour operator) - very negative experience