I'm very close to booking a trip to Peru for this June. I'm just awaiting the green light from my travel companion. I've worked up a draft itineray, below. Any comments would be appreciated.
Day 1 - Fly to Lima, late night arrival, stay at airport hotel.
Day 2- Early morning flight to Cuzco (probably using Star Peru because of the signifcantly lower price compared to LAN), then travel to Ollantayambo (train or taxi??). Spend afternoon puttering around town, ruins.
Day 3- Machu Picchu! Another overnight in Ollantayambo.
Day 4- Reserved for Machu Picchu if first day is a rain out. Travel back to Cusco.
Day 5- Tour Cuzco (favorite activity for me is visiting beautiful churches).
Day 6 - More Cuzco
Day 7 - late morning flight to Lima, spend afternoon exploring. Stay in Miraflores.
Day 8- tour Lima until time to head to airport for late night flight back home.
Couple of questions:
Can there be flexibility with train tickets to Aguascalientes or must they be bought far in advance during the high season like June?
My travel companion is rather fussy about cleanliness. How are public restrooms in places such as restaurants, train station, stores, etc? I am aware of the need to bring my own tissue.
Draft Itinerary for Peru (Lima-Machu Picchu-Cusco)
- 1 Recommendations for Amazon tours
- 2 Trip Report: Argentina and Peru
- 3 Santiago Airport International Flight Connection Information
- 4 5 months South America
- 5 Argentina El Calafate to Chilean border - Punta arenas
- 6 2nd Brazil Visit - Ideas please
- 7 5 days in South America - Brazil or Argentina? (Sao Paolo and Rio excluded)
- 8 Chile Itinerary without Patagonia
- 9 Galapagos travel plan recommendation
- 10 Hotel Tyndell or Las Torres in Torres del Paine
- 11 Family trip to Lima and MP
- 12 Machu Picchu - Hiking boots or Teva sandals?
- 13 Highly recommended taxi driver in the Sacred Valley of Peru
- 14 Patagonia Itinerary
- 15 Back to South America
- 16 South America in July
- 17 Might Chile's reciprocity fee disappear in 2014?
- 18 Buenos Aires and Beyond for a Beginner
- 19 Brazil Help!
- 20 Driving from Bariloche to Chile
- 21 Van rental in Punta Arena, Chile
- 22 Chile: Pucon car rental pick-up and return Santiago
- 23 Car Rental in Chile
- 24 Peru For less travel agent
- 25 Peru Itinerary