Just wanted to give a heads up to any travelers flying out of Quito Airport. We just flew out yesterday and had some hassles:
Random security agents that don't look like they actually work there came up to us and questioned us while we were in line to check in at Continental Airlines. Questions like "What do you do for work?" and "Are you married?"
After getting out of the security area and having our bags scanned, an agent still ran after me and asked to have my bag scanned again.
This was the biggest hassle of them all. You cannot enter the waiting area at the gate without having your carry-on luggage thoroughly opened and checked again. This is even after clearing the security area. Also, there are no bathrooms here so if you leave, you have to leave your boarding pass with the agents. Then, when you return, they pat you down. My recommendation is that you wait in the area with the restaurants if you want to do things like get food, drinks, and use the bathroom. I had to throw away my water bottles that I purchased in the food court, even though it was in the area AFTER the security area. You cannot enter the gate area with any food or water!
Also, other passengers in the gate area were then asked to go with the gate agents so they could check their bags again, and they also came around with a dog to sniff everybody's bags.
We heard from another passenger that there is a growing problem of drugs leaving Ecuador, so that could explain all of the strange security measures going on.
Just an FYI for any travelers in Ecuador!
Departing Quito Airport
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Speak to me of Peru
- 2 Back to South America
- 3 Peru/Machu Picchu/Cuzco suggestions
- 4 Itinerary advice for a 5 week trip to Peru
- 5 Cusco, Pto Maldonado, Titicaca and Trujillo!
- 6 Plan a 3 month South America trip in less than 2 months
- 7 Trip to Machu Picchu
- 8 RECIFE, where to stay during WORLD CUP??
- 9 Fire in Valparaiso
- 10 HELP!!! Sao Paulo for a day???
- 11 Machu Picchu with a bum knee
- 12 Independence Day in Cuzco
- 13 Ecuador - should we go?
- 14 Buenos Aires + only 1 Patagonia location
- 15 Cotopaxi Day Tour
- 16 Travel from Cusco to Tacna by bus
- 17 Driving in Ecuador
- 18 Out travels in Bolivia Peru and Ecuador
- 19 To Buenos Aires and beyond
- 20 Should we book Argentina trip in May 2014?
- 21 2-3 months backpacking trip to Peru, Bolivia, Chile and Buenos Aires
- 22 Brazil/Buzios: Booking bus tickets in advance?
- 23 9 day Itinerary Advice: Lima, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu
- 24 Question about LAN Peru LAX-Cusco
- 25 Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra