Just wanted to give a heads up to any travelers flying out of Quito Airport. We just flew out yesterday and had some hassles:
Random security agents that don't look like they actually work there came up to us and questioned us while we were in line to check in at Continental Airlines. Questions like "What do you do for work?" and "Are you married?"
After getting out of the security area and having our bags scanned, an agent still ran after me and asked to have my bag scanned again.
This was the biggest hassle of them all. You cannot enter the waiting area at the gate without having your carry-on luggage thoroughly opened and checked again. This is even after clearing the security area. Also, there are no bathrooms here so if you leave, you have to leave your boarding pass with the agents. Then, when you return, they pat you down. My recommendation is that you wait in the area with the restaurants if you want to do things like get food, drinks, and use the bathroom. I had to throw away my water bottles that I purchased in the food court, even though it was in the area AFTER the security area. You cannot enter the gate area with any food or water!
Also, other passengers in the gate area were then asked to go with the gate agents so they could check their bags again, and they also came around with a dog to sniff everybody's bags.
We heard from another passenger that there is a growing problem of drugs leaving Ecuador, so that could explain all of the strange security measures going on.
Just an FYI for any travelers in Ecuador!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 U>SA : YAHOO Tec*h SUPP0RT CONTACT ☎ 1:8OO:540 :683O YAHOO MAIL 24*7
- 2 How many days in Medellin area?
- 3 Machu Picchu changes its entry schedule
- 4 Lodging by Medellin Airport
- 5 Argentinian Honeymoon
- 6 Finding a group to hike with
- 7 Buenos Aires, Patagonia hike, Uraguay beach and Iguazu idea feedback needed
- 8 Cusco and the Sacred Valley
- 9 Torres del Paine from Punta Arenas
- 10 Chilean Travel Agent Suggestions Needed
- 11 Galapagus July
- 12 The Atacama Desert
- 13 Best BA neighborhood to stay in?
- 14 AirB&B in Buenos Airies
- 15 2 day Inca Trek and a fear of exposure/heights
- 16 1 day for Iguazu Falls (I know, but that's all she has)
- 17 Pisco sours
- 18 Trip Report Chile: A Country of Diverse and Amazing Beauty...
- 19 Last min cruise to the Galapagos
- 20 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 21 Soles in Lima,Peru
- 22 Baños & Alausí (Paillon & Nariz del Diablo)!
- 23 Help needed with itinerary for Argentina and Chile
- 24 2 Weeks in Cusco Itinerary
- 25 Huacachina, Peru