Just wanted to give a heads up to any travelers flying out of Quito Airport. We just flew out yesterday and had some hassles:
Random security agents that don't look like they actually work there came up to us and questioned us while we were in line to check in at Continental Airlines. Questions like "What do you do for work?" and "Are you married?"
After getting out of the security area and having our bags scanned, an agent still ran after me and asked to have my bag scanned again.
This was the biggest hassle of them all. You cannot enter the waiting area at the gate without having your carry-on luggage thoroughly opened and checked again. This is even after clearing the security area. Also, there are no bathrooms here so if you leave, you have to leave your boarding pass with the agents. Then, when you return, they pat you down. My recommendation is that you wait in the area with the restaurants if you want to do things like get food, drinks, and use the bathroom. I had to throw away my water bottles that I purchased in the food court, even though it was in the area AFTER the security area. You cannot enter the gate area with any food or water!
Also, other passengers in the gate area were then asked to go with the gate agents so they could check their bags again, and they also came around with a dog to sniff everybody's bags.
We heard from another passenger that there is a growing problem of drugs leaving Ecuador, so that could explain all of the strange security measures going on.
Just an FYI for any travelers in Ecuador!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 ICLOUD 1888:260:2909 PASSWORD RESET CONTACT ICLOUD Tec*h
- 2 2 weeks in Chile
- 3 Travel agency in Columbia
- 4 South American Mix: Easter Island, Machu Picchu, Rio & the Pantanal
- 5 Torres Del Paine - total 2 weeks in Chile
- 6 Buenos Aires for a month?
- 7 Galapagos Islands, Machu Picchu, Amazon Rainforest + more
- 8 Cartagena tips
- 9 Argentina (Chile?)
- 10 Steaks and Tango - Suggestions Please
- 11 Peru: Kaleidoscope of Colors. Amazon Cruise, Machu Picchu, Jungle Lodges
- 12 Cartegena - beach or centre for a week?
- 13 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 14 Cusco and the Sacred Valley
- 15 What to skip in Argentina
- 16 Aboard the Amazon Star
- 17 Peru Sacred Valley Trip - Family of 5
- 18 Argentina before and after Antarctica Itinerary
- 19 40th Birthday Trip: Inca Trail, Machu Picchu, Amazon
- 20 Colombia-Brazil-Chile-Bolivia-Peru (Dec'17-Jan'18)
- 21 Looking for photographers in Bogota, Medellin and Cartagena
- 22 Itineraries
- 23 Advice on Chile itinerary
- 24 Torres del Paine from Punta Arenas
- 25 Itinerary Help Argentina Chile Patagonia in 23 days