Just wanted to give a heads up to any travelers flying out of Quito Airport. We just flew out yesterday and had some hassles:
Random security agents that don't look like they actually work there came up to us and questioned us while we were in line to check in at Continental Airlines. Questions like "What do you do for work?" and "Are you married?"
After getting out of the security area and having our bags scanned, an agent still ran after me and asked to have my bag scanned again.
This was the biggest hassle of them all. You cannot enter the waiting area at the gate without having your carry-on luggage thoroughly opened and checked again. This is even after clearing the security area. Also, there are no bathrooms here so if you leave, you have to leave your boarding pass with the agents. Then, when you return, they pat you down. My recommendation is that you wait in the area with the restaurants if you want to do things like get food, drinks, and use the bathroom. I had to throw away my water bottles that I purchased in the food court, even though it was in the area AFTER the security area. You cannot enter the gate area with any food or water!
Also, other passengers in the gate area were then asked to go with the gate agents so they could check their bags again, and they also came around with a dog to sniff everybody's bags.
We heard from another passenger that there is a growing problem of drugs leaving Ecuador, so that could explain all of the strange security measures going on.
Just an FYI for any travelers in Ecuador!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Going to Peru with 2 kids (9 and 12yrs)
- 2 8 days in Ecudor
- 3 Northeast Brazil
- 4 Argentina in 15 days with a toddler: Trip report!
- 5 AirB&B in Buenos Airies
- 6 Lima, Peru - Travel Report
- 7 Cusco and the Sacred Valley
- 8 Galapagos - Family Wildlife Tours
- 9 Best BA neighborhood to stay in?
- 10 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 11 Going to Machu Pichu with 4 children
- 12 Local tour companies in Bolivia
- 13 James Frazer-Mann - Trying to book El Chalten via Plataforma10 ?
- 14 Adventures / full of experince tours in the Ecuadorians
- 15 Lima - driver for hire
- 16 Cordoba-scenic small towns nearby
- 17 OK one final question - concerns AEP!
- 18 Iguazu Falls Couple Last Minute Questions!
- 19 First trip to Argentina - should we just stay in Buenos Aires?
- 20 Can USA citizens avoid hotel taxes?
- 21 Booking Treks in Cusco?
- 22 Best Hostels Cusco?
- 23 ONE WEEK IN COLOMBIA
- 24 Itinerary help
- 25 Itinerary help