Just wanted to give a heads up to any travelers flying out of Quito Airport. We just flew out yesterday and had some hassles:
Random security agents that don't look like they actually work there came up to us and questioned us while we were in line to check in at Continental Airlines. Questions like "What do you do for work?" and "Are you married?"
After getting out of the security area and having our bags scanned, an agent still ran after me and asked to have my bag scanned again.
This was the biggest hassle of them all. You cannot enter the waiting area at the gate without having your carry-on luggage thoroughly opened and checked again. This is even after clearing the security area. Also, there are no bathrooms here so if you leave, you have to leave your boarding pass with the agents. Then, when you return, they pat you down. My recommendation is that you wait in the area with the restaurants if you want to do things like get food, drinks, and use the bathroom. I had to throw away my water bottles that I purchased in the food court, even though it was in the area AFTER the security area. You cannot enter the gate area with any food or water!
Also, other passengers in the gate area were then asked to go with the gate agents so they could check their bags again, and they also came around with a dog to sniff everybody's bags.
We heard from another passenger that there is a growing problem of drugs leaving Ecuador, so that could explain all of the strange security measures going on.
Just an FYI for any travelers in Ecuador!
Departing Quito Airport
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Chile/Bolivia Itinerary Help
- 2 Solo female travelling around South America
- 3 Peruvian Amazon
- 4 Need Police Report from Santiago!
- 5 10 days in mid-late May 2015!
- 6 Salar de Uyuni: a guide
- 7 Anyone traveled with Manu Peru Amazon Tour Company?
- 8 Best plan for 6 days between Cuenca and Quito?
- 9 Volcano erupts in Chile near Puerto Varas and Puerto Montt
- 10 URGENT! Call your airline!
- 11 Columbia Local Beer
- 12 Solo backpacking in Argentina and Chile
- 13 El Calafate/Torres del Paine 7 day Itinerary Help
- 14 Is Guayaquil the new tourist discovery in Ecuador?
- 15 10 days in Argentina
- 16 february/march- where to go?
- 17 Sacred Valley spread over four days--need input on itinerary!
- 18 driving to salvador
- 19 Bogota, Providencia and Where Else?
- 20 Beginning-to-start to plan Colombia for July 2015
- 21 Peru, help cutting costs
- 22 cartagena , columbia
- 23 Peru Itinerary Help
- 24 One spare day in our itinerary - where should it go?
- 25 10 days backpacking in Peru