Just did a search on the forum, didn't see anything recent in regards to cell phone and sim card use in Chile/South America. Looking for advice, thanks in advance.
Need to be reachable by phone (voice service) in Chile for two weeks, I've been told by Verizon that my Verizon/Android device can be used for wifi and texting but no voice service while in Chile.
SIM Card Only
I have never done the SIM card change with my device, any suggestions on that? Are those available in the airport upon arrival? Is there a particular kind/brand to get? Tips and tricks on how to buy? Pitfalls?
Cheap phone and SIM card
I read a couple of European cell phone use threads where people buy cheap phones in the US and then get SIM cards upon arrival. Anyone experience hiccups with that approach in South America? Any other tips and tricks there?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 South American city for 2 female travelers to visit mid June?
- 2 Cruz del Sur bus - Lima to Paracas
- 3 One week in Cartagena?
- 4 Can USA citizens avoid hotel taxes?
- 5 Lunahuana
- 6 Lima-Cusco-Ollantaytambo-Machu Picchu first timers
- 7 Hiking Tour Companies - Machu Picchu & Chile
- 8 Argentina in 15 days with a toddler: Trip report!
- 9 Cordoba-scenic small towns nearby
- 10 Family Adventure in Ecuador
- 11 Exploring the cities of Ecuador's Andes
- 12 Choquequirao Questions
- 13 Trip Report to BsAs and Patagonia (With Pics and Vids)
- 14 MARCHU PICCHU
- 15 Santiago > Valparaiso: worth driving?
- 16 What type of currency for Bolivia
- 17 Cordoba horseback riding day trip
- 18 Thoughts on our itinerary?
- 19 Agency to purchase tickets to US
- 20 Chile/Patagonia/Torres del Paine/Valparaiso
- 21 Ecuador Pure Life (tour operator) - very negative experience
- 22 Need Dinner recommendations for 12 Peru trip
- 23 Another Brazil Visa Application Form question!
- 24 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 25 Iquitos Peru and rain forest