Just did a search on the forum, didn't see anything recent in regards to cell phone and sim card use in Chile/South America. Looking for advice, thanks in advance.
Need to be reachable by phone (voice service) in Chile for two weeks, I've been told by Verizon that my Verizon/Android device can be used for wifi and texting but no voice service while in Chile.
SIM Card Only
I have never done the SIM card change with my device, any suggestions on that? Are those available in the airport upon arrival? Is there a particular kind/brand to get? Tips and tricks on how to buy? Pitfalls?
Cheap phone and SIM card
I read a couple of European cell phone use threads where people buy cheap phones in the US and then get SIM cards upon arrival. Anyone experience hiccups with that approach in South America? Any other tips and tricks there?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Accessibility to Igassu Falls
- 2 Machu Picchu in January
- 3 Rio Water Quality
- 4 Brazil Tourist Safety tip request
- 5 Galapagos with/Natural Habitat Adventures?
- 6 I Didn't Get Killed in Rio: Our Travels in Peru, Brazil, and Ecuador
- 7 Two day stay in Lima
- 8 Best beach town for Jan- Feb trip
- 9 Cities near santiago chile?
- 10 Iguazu logistics and rental car?
- 11 Leftover Argentine Pesos - where to sell?
- 12 Van from Cusco to Ollantaytambo
- 13 June travel in the Galapagos, Andean Ecuador, and Machu Picchu
- 14 Uyuni Salar Tour Company
- 15 Trip Evacuation Insurance for the Galapagos
- 16 Travelers insurance in Patagonia - need it?
- 17 Huayna Picchu Vs. Machu Picchu Mountain?
- 18 60 day Trip to South America
- 19 3 week itinerary for Peru
- 20 Ups and downs of our trip to Peru--from Machu Picchu to LIM airport floor
- 21 Buenos Aires
- 22 Buenos Aires with bad knee
- 23 Hotels in Argentina
- 24 Patagonia August 29 - September 7
- 25 Help! No Idea Where to Go.