Just did a search on the forum, didn't see anything recent in regards to cell phone and sim card use in Chile/South America. Looking for advice, thanks in advance.
Need to be reachable by phone (voice service) in Chile for two weeks, I've been told by Verizon that my Verizon/Android device can be used for wifi and texting but no voice service while in Chile.
SIM Card Only
I have never done the SIM card change with my device, any suggestions on that? Are those available in the airport upon arrival? Is there a particular kind/brand to get? Tips and tricks on how to buy? Pitfalls?
Cheap phone and SIM card
I read a couple of European cell phone use threads where people buy cheap phones in the US and then get SIM cards upon arrival. Anyone experience hiccups with that approach in South America? Any other tips and tricks there?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Seek Suggestions on Trip to Machu Picchu
- 2 Machu Picchu in January
- 3 Dining in Medellin
- 4 Medellin's hidden Parque is lovely
- 5 Galapagos and Machu Pichu Itinerary Suggestions
- 6 Travel with Children to Galapagos
- 7 Christmastime in Santiago/Valparaiso - what to do, where to stay
- 8 Colca Canyon Earthquake
- 9 Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca), Peru
- 10 10 days in Santiago, Easter Islands, San pedro de atacama, doable?
- 11 santiago chile area
- 12 Beach walk in Rio - Copacabana or Ipanema?
- 13 Reflections on our South America trip
- 14 One Day in Santiago/Tour Guide
- 15 Driving from Santiago to Peurto Montt
- 16 Chile: first cut a travel plan
- 17 Argentina and Bolivia in February and March?
- 18 visit in the area of Campinas,Brazil and weather
- 19 Buying show tickets to Cafe Tortoni
- 20 Iguazu Falls-"Best" Way to Reach/See
- 21 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 22 One week in Cartagena?
- 23 Argentina 3 week Itinerary
- 24 One day in Buenos Aires and Tango Experience
- 25 Santiago to Puerto Montt