Just did a search on the forum, didn't see anything recent in regards to cell phone and sim card use in Chile/South America. Looking for advice, thanks in advance.
Need to be reachable by phone (voice service) in Chile for two weeks, I've been told by Verizon that my Verizon/Android device can be used for wifi and texting but no voice service while in Chile.
SIM Card Only
I have never done the SIM card change with my device, any suggestions on that? Are those available in the airport upon arrival? Is there a particular kind/brand to get? Tips and tricks on how to buy? Pitfalls?
Cheap phone and SIM card
I read a couple of European cell phone use threads where people buy cheap phones in the US and then get SIM cards upon arrival. Anyone experience hiccups with that approach in South America? Any other tips and tricks there?
Chile cell phone and sim card advice needed
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Chile/Patagonia Itinerary Questions
- 2 The Inca Trail - It's a Long Way Down
- 3 Lima-Paracas-Nazca-Huacachina-Lima (bus/drive)
- 4 Hawaii or Rio for single male traveler
- 5 New Years Eve: Rio or Buenos Aires?
- 6 Tour guides needed for SugarLoaf and Corcovado? Transfer recs?
- 7 4 weeks in Chile
- 8 Lima-Paracas-Nazca: in 1 day?
- 9 New Year's Eve in Lima
- 10 Bogota - Is it safe?
- 11 Para Ti, Brazil
- 12 Advice needed for Colombia
- 13 Chile and Argentina
- 14 To Iguazu Falls, No Time To Tango
- 15 2nd Leg Retirement Trip
- 16 In Celebration of Retiring: A Luxe Trip to Peru
- 17 Buenos Aires GTG, Tuesday, Jan.13
- 18 El valle de Elquí
- 19 Need a "just in case" Buenos Aires restaurant recommendation
- 20 Columbia Questions
- 21 Bogota
- 22 Planning 3 weeks in Columbia
- 23 Bus tickets from El Calafate to Puerto Natales (Patagonia) in December?
- 24 Jewish sites and tour of Buenos Aires?
- 25 Patagonia Trip Report: Kayaking, Riding and Hiking in the South