Just did a search on the forum, didn't see anything recent in regards to cell phone and sim card use in Chile/South America. Looking for advice, thanks in advance.
Need to be reachable by phone (voice service) in Chile for two weeks, I've been told by Verizon that my Verizon/Android device can be used for wifi and texting but no voice service while in Chile.
SIM Card Only
I have never done the SIM card change with my device, any suggestions on that? Are those available in the airport upon arrival? Is there a particular kind/brand to get? Tips and tricks on how to buy? Pitfalls?
Cheap phone and SIM card
I read a couple of European cell phone use threads where people buy cheap phones in the US and then get SIM cards upon arrival. Anyone experience hiccups with that approach in South America? Any other tips and tricks there?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Is it worth the Brazil visa to see the Falls?
- 2 Backroads or Nat Geo hiking Patagonia
- 3 Rio de Janeiro in March
- 4 Spontaneity in Cusco activities possible?
- 5 Villa de Leyva - a week too much and other questions..
- 6 Southward Ho! Adventures in Chile & ARG
- 7 Argentina in October--more questions
- 8 Our new government to promote foreign tourism
- 9 South America this October
- 10 Chile or Argentina?
- 11 11 hours in Lima
- 12 Transportation: Cusco Airport to Ollantaytamba train station
- 13 Cusco and Machu Picchu
- 14 Villa de Leyva - a week too much and other questions..
- 15 Machu Picchu - any good hiking guide companies?
- 16 Galápagos Islands: Yacht Angelito
- 17 Itinerary Help Brazil 10 days
- 18 Antarctica on the Vavilov-How to book?
- 19 Peru in December
- 20 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 21 Tarapoto
- 22 Some Nature/Bird Lodges in Colombia
- 23 Buenos Aires/Argentina 10+ Day, Solo Woman Traveler
- 24 A brief encounter with Ecuador
- 25 Extra two days In Cusco or Lima..Early September