Just did a search on the forum, didn't see anything recent in regards to cell phone and sim card use in Chile/South America. Looking for advice, thanks in advance.
Need to be reachable by phone (voice service) in Chile for two weeks, I've been told by Verizon that my Verizon/Android device can be used for wifi and texting but no voice service while in Chile.
SIM Card Only
I have never done the SIM card change with my device, any suggestions on that? Are those available in the airport upon arrival? Is there a particular kind/brand to get? Tips and tricks on how to buy? Pitfalls?
Cheap phone and SIM card
I read a couple of European cell phone use threads where people buy cheap phones in the US and then get SIM cards upon arrival. Anyone experience hiccups with that approach in South America? Any other tips and tricks there?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Cassis Restaurant gift certificate?
- 2 Tour guide/ agency
- 3 Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca), Peru
- 4 Need help! Exploring Lakes District, Northern Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego
- 5 Kudos - Brazilian Visa service = FAST
- 6 visiting Patagonia on cruise ship vs land trip
- 7 Mindo places with comfortable beds and flexible menus?
- 8 Ecuador weather forecast - is it accurate?
- 9 Local tour operator - Patagonia / Bariloche
- 10 Making the most of Montevideo
- 11 Southern Bolivia from Northwest Argentina?
- 12 Ecuador - Tap Water Question
- 13 9 days in Ecuador-need help planning
- 14 Santiago - where to stay?
- 15 Peru Trip Report-Lima, Paracas, Cusco
- 16 Peru transport questioins
- 17 Places to eat like a local
- 18 No exit stamp for Argentina - problem?
- 19 Chile Trekking options
- 20 Customs/Immigration Buenos Aires
- 21 Trip Report - 2 Weeks in Peru, July 2016
- 22 Posting Again...any info on Macae, Brazil..100+ miles north of Rio?
- 23 Packing for 2.5 months in Buenos Aires
- 24 Oasis Collection - Apartments in Buenos Aires
- 25 Insect repellent recommendations