Just did a search on the forum, didn't see anything recent in regards to cell phone and sim card use in Chile/South America. Looking for advice, thanks in advance.
Need to be reachable by phone (voice service) in Chile for two weeks, I've been told by Verizon that my Verizon/Android device can be used for wifi and texting but no voice service while in Chile.
SIM Card Only
I have never done the SIM card change with my device, any suggestions on that? Are those available in the airport upon arrival? Is there a particular kind/brand to get? Tips and tricks on how to buy? Pitfalls?
Cheap phone and SIM card
I read a couple of European cell phone use threads where people buy cheap phones in the US and then get SIM cards upon arrival. Anyone experience hiccups with that approach in South America? Any other tips and tricks there?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Travel in Brazil or visit Machu Picchu?
- 2 Sacred Valley/Inca Trail April 2015 Trip Report
- 3 Trip Report - Peru - Long
- 4 Pantanal tour prices
- 5 Travel Agent Recommendation for Patagonia
- 6 Safety in Rio?
- 7 Tours to Machu Picchu
- 8 New to traveling, and I need help.
- 9 Argentina Trip report
- 10 My Lima Layover
- 11 Strike Peru May 27-28 - urgent decision
- 12 Not your usual Lima Layover Trip Report
- 13 Areas to stay in Rio de Janiero and Buenos Aires
- 14 Absolute must in 3-4 days in Galapagos
- 15 Planning Trip to Patagonia and Wine Country
- 16 Do you need passes to see machu picch?
- 17 It's Restaurant Week in Lima til 24 May
- 18 Hostels in Rio de Janeiro
- 19 Recommended tour companies for the Galapagos Islands
- 20 Itinerary Advice..+/- days advice
- 21 recommended hostels in lima and cuzco
- 22 tours and tips
- 23 Transportation from Santiago airport to Valparaiso or Vina del Mar
- 24 Best plan for 6 days between Cuenca and Quito?
- 25 Buenos Aires to Rio de Janeiro