Just did a search on the forum, didn't see anything recent in regards to cell phone and sim card use in Chile/South America. Looking for advice, thanks in advance.
Need to be reachable by phone (voice service) in Chile for two weeks, I've been told by Verizon that my Verizon/Android device can be used for wifi and texting but no voice service while in Chile.
SIM Card Only
I have never done the SIM card change with my device, any suggestions on that? Are those available in the airport upon arrival? Is there a particular kind/brand to get? Tips and tricks on how to buy? Pitfalls?
Cheap phone and SIM card
I read a couple of European cell phone use threads where people buy cheap phones in the US and then get SIM cards upon arrival. Anyone experience hiccups with that approach in South America? Any other tips and tricks there?
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Amazon, OIlantaytambo, Colca Canyon, Pacasmay and About
- 2 Back "home" in Barranco
- 3 Laundry Options in Peru
- 4 Where to Spend 10 Days in June/July! Central v. South America
- 5 Home exchange to Brazil: cultural differences.
- 6 house/apartment rental
- 7 Renting house in Bariloche
- 8 Destination Recommendation (w/ specifics)
- 9 Uruguay for wildlife
- 10 Elevation acclimatization, transportation, and lodging help!?
- 11 Car and Driver in Rio De Janeiro
- 12 Wha to expect from Cartagena, Colombia.
- 13 Itinerary help - Argentina and....?
- 14 Ecuador Trip Plan: What did we get right and wrong?
- 15 El Calafate excursions
- 16 Ecuador earthquake
- 17 Peru & Ecuador
- 18 Welltravbrit's Colombia - Statues, Tombs, and Carnaval!
- 19 Our 2016 South America Trip
- 20 Peru - Chinchero questions
- 21 Mendoza airport will be closed: Sept- Dec
- 22 Cusco and Machu Picchu
- 23 Stray Dogs?
- 24 Salkantay trek
- 25 Iquitos vs Manu Peru Amazon