Lonely Planet published an informative book on Bolivia and I’ve read much of it. Unfortunately, however, there are some questions that I have that remain unanswered. (1) How many hours is the bus ride from Potosi to the salts lakes at Uyuni? (2) From Potosi to Uyuni, are we talking about a relatively smooth and safe ride or are we talking about high altitude, poorly paved, zigzag roads that are somewhat unsafe?
(3) How would I fly from Cusco, Peru to Sucre? Do you think the flight would be direct or would I need to connect in La Paz? Please, if possible, tell me the name of the airline(s). I would like to look up its/their safety standards reputation. (4) From Sucre, is it quicker via bus to get to La Paz or Santa Cruz? (5) From Sucre to La Paz or Santa Cruz (whichever is faster), are we talking about a relatively smooth and safe ride or are we talking about high altitude, poorly paved, zigzag roads that are somewhat unsafe?
(6) My last question is a subjective one. Do you think Sucre is of the caliber of colonial towns such as Quito, Cuenca and Cusco? In other words, do you think colonial Sucre is as impressive as the other 3 destinations I listed? Normally, I would just try to go (especially since Bolivia has so many natural attractions). However, there are just so many inconveniences involved.
Firstly, I am not the kind of guy who likes to travel in buses for 20+ hours or likes to fly in Mickey-Mouse style airplanes-especially ones that land in relatively difficult-to-see (because of clouds) high altitude airports. Secondly, I could not go home (USA) from Sucre. I would have to somehow get to La Paz or Santa Cruz-another inconvenience. So, in short, if I am going to go through all that trouble, I want to make sure that the general consensus is that Sucre is just as impressive and possibly vibrant as Quito, Cuenca and Cusco.
Bolivian Transportation and Questions about Sucre
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Plan a 3 month South America trip in less than 2 months
- 2 Itinerary advice for a 5 week trip to Peru
- 3 Trip to Machu Picchu
- 4 RECIFE, where to stay during WORLD CUP??
- 5 Fire in Valparaiso
- 6 HELP!!! Sao Paulo for a day???
- 7 Machu Picchu with a bum knee
- 8 Independence Day in Cuzco
- 9 Ecuador - should we go?
- 10 Buenos Aires + only 1 Patagonia location
- 11 Back to South America
- 12 Cotopaxi Day Tour
- 13 Travel from Cusco to Tacna by bus
- 14 Peru/Machu Picchu/Cuzco suggestions
- 15 Cusco, Pto Maldonado, Titicaca and Trujillo!
- 16 Driving in Ecuador
- 17 Out travels in Bolivia Peru and Ecuador
- 18 To Buenos Aires and beyond
- 19 Should we book Argentina trip in May 2014?
- 20 2-3 months backpacking trip to Peru, Bolivia, Chile and Buenos Aires
- 21 Brazil/Buzios: Booking bus tickets in advance?
- 22 9 day Itinerary Advice: Lima, Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu
- 23 Question about LAN Peru LAX-Cusco
- 24 Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra
- 25 Questions re. Machu Picchu