We arrived in Uruguay and tried to get money from ATMs in the Redbanc and Redbrou networks. We tried varying amounts from 1000 pesos - about $50 - to 5000. No luck at machines in bank lobbies, grocery stores, or even the casino in Punta del Este (we figured those would take anything, even from foreign banks.). I read online that the Citibank machines would take cards from the US, but they didn't have any machines. We finally gave up and got a Visa cash advance when the Pesos we obtained with US dollars ran out. Any advice, other than to carry dollars when traveling in Uruguay?
ATM problems in Uruguay
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Cartagena - help!
- 2 Trip Report: Argentina, Chile, Bolivia & Peru with Tweens
- 3 A few days in Uruguay from Buenos Aires
- 4 Ecuador-tour guides
- 5 Colombia + Peru in 1 month: itinerary doable?
- 6 End in sight for Chile reciprocity fee
- 7 Plan a 3 month South America trip in less than 2 months
- 8 Birding in Mindo
- 9 Hugely flexible trip starting in Argentina, 5/5/2014.
- 10 Sugar Loaf Trip
- 11 Any recommendations for guide at Iguazu?
- 12 Salta itinerary- 4 nights
- 13 9 days in Rio, Buenos Aires,and Mendoza
- 14 Puno to Arequipa by bus
- 15 Rio Advice for 2 Young Women
- 16 2 weeks in Argentina
- 17 Buying a SIM card in Chile for I phone 5
- 18 60 Hours in Buenos Aires: Blue Dollar Heaven
- 19 Where to buy cowhide rug in Buenos Aires
- 20 Galapogos by Land or by Sea?
- 21 3 Weeks Itinerary
- 22 Sanctuary Lodge vs. Inkaterra
- 23 Sisters trip to Argentina and Chile
- 24 Travel Agency: PeruTourism
- 25 Salta...Travel Brain Dead