My friend and I have 6 weeks off from mid December into January and we've always wanted to do South America and it seems like the perfect time for us both.
We want to maximise our time & we don't like to go at a slow pace. We're more than happy staying somewhere for 3-4 days exploring and then moving on to the next. So if you're thinking "you want to do too much" we do like moving around.
We want to do Rio, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires, Santiago, Lima (and Machu Picchu) but organising it all seems like such a huge task. She also wants to do the Galapagos Islands, but I'm not sure about time & money. Just wandering what peoples opinions were for the best travel itinerary? We LOVE food & wine, markets, hikes & walks. A bit of everything really! We would also appreciate any recommendations for travelling around (if it cuts time & it's not TOO expensive we're happy to fly between countries) and if there are small towns worth going to for an experience. All suggestions are welcome suggestions
We're coming from Melbourne, Australia, just in case that makes a difference.
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Safety warning?
- 2 Bariloche, Iguazu Falls, Buenos Aires in March
- 3 Trip Report - First time in Buenos Aires/Iguazu Falls/Rio de Janeiro
- 4 Iguazu falls logistics
- 5 Cape Horn cruise in Feb. or March?
- 6 Packing for Chile in November
- 7 Lima stopover
- 8 Buenos Aires AND Iguazu Falls?
- 9 Amazon side trip
- 10 travel from el calafate direct to Torres delPaine
- 11 First Trip to Colombia Advice Needed!
- 12 Domestic Flights within Chile
- 13 Argentina ( Junin de Los Andes)in mid January
- 14 Wine tour & transfer from Valparaiso to Santiago Airport
- 15 Uruguay, then Buenos Aires in early March
- 16 Buenos Aires-ideas for side trips
- 17 Santiago - where to stay?
- 18 Need help! Exploring Lakes District, Northern Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego
- 19 Tour guide/ agency
- 20 Patagonia Planning
- 21 Salta/NW Argentina, no car
- 22 March trip to Brazil
- 23 Iguazu Falls -- is Brazil side worth the cost?
- 24 Iguazu Falls -- 2 nights -- do we have it right?
- 25 Itinerary Help Brazil 10 days