Like many on here I am trying to gather some more information before I head off on a 3 and a half month adventure to South America.
I will be travelling with my partner from the beginning of September, starting in Buenos Aires and gradually working our way up to our final destination of Lima, where our return flight (to the UK) is from.
Although we have a rough plan, I was hoping for a bit more help. If anyone could impart some wisdom that'd be great!
I think our budget in total will be between £3500-£4000 each for the duration of the trip. Is this enough? Do couples tend to spend less than travelling alone?
Our basic itinerary will start us off in Argentina:
Buenos Aires, 3-4 days, then working down and then up to places like
and then into Bolivia
We were thinking maybe 3-4 weeks in total. Do you think All of this is doable in that time?
Bolivia would be our next destination. I havent really looked into much yet about it. But both myself and my boyfriend love hiking/trekking and would like to start heading into the Amazon as much as possible. We also love history/culture so any sites people think are great for us?
Anyone have any ideas of how to spend 3-4 weeks in Bolivia? We were contemplating helping on a farm or doing volunteer work for a week. If anyone could recommend somewhere in Bolivia, awesome!
Finally, Peru. Here we are wanting to spend most of our time. Places which are a must are Puno, Arequipa, Machu Picchu, Iquitos, and Lima. We could be spending anything from 5-7 weeks in Peru. So which places do you think deserve the most attention?
We intend on doing a Salkantay 5 day trek to Machu Picchu which solves one week. (We will be hopefully going with Loki Travel, can anyone vet them, how long in advance should we book?)
In terms of travel between all these places, how cheap/easy will it be? We will be travelling between September-December. Will things be running as it isn't high season?
Basically, help me!
This is one of my first big travels, so I am excitedly nervous!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 http://www.healthbuzzer.com/gain-xt/
- 2 Visiting Iguazu Falls From Rio
- 3 Iguazu Falls-"Best" Way to Reach/See
- 4 Time in Lima, then Guayaquil, Manta
- 5 Travel with Children to Galapagos
- 6 Help us plan our dream SA trip!
- 7 Seek Suggestions on Trip to Machu Picchu
- 8 Avenue of Volcanoes
- 9 Waterfalls near Puyo, Tena, and Baeza in Ecuador
- 10 Best Trek in Peru? (Huayhuash Circuit vs Inca Trail)
- 11 Bariloche car rental
- 12 Trip Report: Studying Spanish in Quito and Cuenca 2007
- 13 Galapagos and Machu Pichu Itinerary Suggestions
- 14 Machu Picchu in January
- 15 Dining in Medellin
- 16 Medellin's hidden Parque is lovely
- 17 Christmastime in Santiago/Valparaiso - what to do, where to stay
- 18 Colca Canyon Earthquake
- 19 Rainbow Mountain (Vinicunca), Peru
- 20 10 days in Santiago, Easter Islands, San pedro de atacama, doable?
- 21 santiago chile area
- 22 Beach walk in Rio - Copacabana or Ipanema?
- 23 Reflections on our South America trip
- 24 One Day in Santiago/Tour Guide
- 25 Driving from Santiago to Peurto Montt
3 Months South America: Argentina - Bolivia - Peru. Ideas?