Like many on here I am trying to gather some more information before I head off on a 3 and a half month adventure to South America.
I will be travelling with my partner from the beginning of September, starting in Buenos Aires and gradually working our way up to our final destination of Lima, where our return flight (to the UK) is from.
Although we have a rough plan, I was hoping for a bit more help. If anyone could impart some wisdom that'd be great!
I think our budget in total will be between £3500-£4000 each for the duration of the trip. Is this enough? Do couples tend to spend less than travelling alone?
Our basic itinerary will start us off in Argentina:
Buenos Aires, 3-4 days, then working down and then up to places like
and then into Bolivia
We were thinking maybe 3-4 weeks in total. Do you think All of this is doable in that time?
Bolivia would be our next destination. I havent really looked into much yet about it. But both myself and my boyfriend love hiking/trekking and would like to start heading into the Amazon as much as possible. We also love history/culture so any sites people think are great for us?
Anyone have any ideas of how to spend 3-4 weeks in Bolivia? We were contemplating helping on a farm or doing volunteer work for a week. If anyone could recommend somewhere in Bolivia, awesome!
Finally, Peru. Here we are wanting to spend most of our time. Places which are a must are Puno, Arequipa, Machu Picchu, Iquitos, and Lima. We could be spending anything from 5-7 weeks in Peru. So which places do you think deserve the most attention?
We intend on doing a Salkantay 5 day trek to Machu Picchu which solves one week. (We will be hopefully going with Loki Travel, can anyone vet them, how long in advance should we book?)
In terms of travel between all these places, how cheap/easy will it be? We will be travelling between September-December. Will things be running as it isn't high season?
Basically, help me!
This is one of my first big travels, so I am excitedly nervous!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Our ATMs to give 500 and 100 peso bills
- 2 Steak house rec in Buenos Aires near Recoleta
- 3 Taking the Bus Santiago Airport to Valpo
- 4 Shopping for sweaters - Quito or Otavalo?
- 5 MP and Torres del Paine on same trip?
- 6 Advice? First SA experience in Ecuador has so far been disappointing
- 7 Sixty days in Colombia
- 8 A brief encounter with Ecuador
- 9 Cajamarca
- 10 Torres del Paine, 3 hotel oprions
- 11 Welltravbrit's Colombia - Statues, Tombs, and Carnaval!
- 12 9 days in Ecuador-need help planning
- 13 Patagonia - Equipment
- 14 Extra two days In Cusco or Lima..Early September
- 15 Chile or Argentina?
- 16 Extra two days in Cusco or Lake Titicaca
- 17 Iguassu Falls footwear?
- 18 Nazca Lines from Pisco or Ica Airport?
- 19 Chile cell phone and sim card advice needed
- 20 What to do with two free nites on arrival in Argentina
- 21 Flights to Northern Peru
- 22 Santiago neighborhood
- 23 Hotels in San Pedro de Atacama?
- 24 Drive or Get Driven? Santiago > Valparaiso
- 25 Backroads or Nat Geo hiking Patagonia
3 Months South America: Argentina - Bolivia - Peru. Ideas?