Like many on here I am trying to gather some more information before I head off on a 3 and a half month adventure to South America.
I will be travelling with my partner from the beginning of September, starting in Buenos Aires and gradually working our way up to our final destination of Lima, where our return flight (to the UK) is from.
Although we have a rough plan, I was hoping for a bit more help. If anyone could impart some wisdom that'd be great!
I think our budget in total will be between £3500-£4000 each for the duration of the trip. Is this enough? Do couples tend to spend less than travelling alone?
Our basic itinerary will start us off in Argentina:
Buenos Aires, 3-4 days, then working down and then up to places like
and then into Bolivia
We were thinking maybe 3-4 weeks in total. Do you think All of this is doable in that time?
Bolivia would be our next destination. I havent really looked into much yet about it. But both myself and my boyfriend love hiking/trekking and would like to start heading into the Amazon as much as possible. We also love history/culture so any sites people think are great for us?
Anyone have any ideas of how to spend 3-4 weeks in Bolivia? We were contemplating helping on a farm or doing volunteer work for a week. If anyone could recommend somewhere in Bolivia, awesome!
Finally, Peru. Here we are wanting to spend most of our time. Places which are a must are Puno, Arequipa, Machu Picchu, Iquitos, and Lima. We could be spending anything from 5-7 weeks in Peru. So which places do you think deserve the most attention?
We intend on doing a Salkantay 5 day trek to Machu Picchu which solves one week. (We will be hopefully going with Loki Travel, can anyone vet them, how long in advance should we book?)
In terms of travel between all these places, how cheap/easy will it be? We will be travelling between September-December. Will things be running as it isn't high season?
Basically, help me!
This is one of my first big travels, so I am excitedly nervous!
Recent ActivityView all South America activity »
- 1 Cusco to Ollantaytambo via Salt Flats
- 2 Argentina airpass.
- 3 Quito taxis
- 4 Separate tickets - question
- 5 Machu Picchu bus ticket online
- 6 San Salvador Layover
- 7 Inca Trail Report: 5 day version with Wayki Trek
- 8 South America this October
- 9 Iguazu Falls - 4 star hotel near the airport?
- 10 Itinerary Help Brazil 10 days
- 11 Fun adventure ...with 6 yr old
- 12 Brief Notes on a February in Ecuador
- 13 Layover in Lima
- 14 Galápagos Islands: Yacht Angelito
- 15 2 Weeks in Armenia, Colombia/July
- 16 Colca/Arequipa/Puno - organized tour (bus) or something less crowded?
- 17 Wine Tours in Chile and Argentina -
- 18 Chile & Argentina wine trips
- 19 Welltravbrit's Colombia - Statues, Tombs, and Carnaval!
- 20 Huaraz to Trujillo, Chiclayo and Piura
- 21 Santiago & Valparaiso - Help with Planning
- 22 Couple of days out from Bogota - Safe and possible?
- 23 2 weeks in Peru/Chile
- 24 Ecuador Trip Plan: What did we get right and wrong?
- 25 Logistics to reach Angel Falls in Venezuela
3 Months South America: Argentina - Bolivia - Peru. Ideas?